The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Dangerous. 1 of 2 things will happen... Hamels pitches a gem, or Hamels has an off night and we go back to Florida. No inbetween. Longoria has to step it up, along with Crawford, Pena, and Upton. 16 homers in the ALCS, and they have 3 this series, 2 coming tonight. Just hope Kazmir comes out and shuts them down, other wise, it's all Phils.

I think the underrated Phils are doing a great job.

Blanton looks like his 05 and 06 self.

the Phils also could hit. Maybe the rays vs Boston

took a lot out of them?

we shall see what happens. either way its been a great

year for the Rays.

Is this their first elimination game?

Actually second. I figured you'd remember the first one. :)

This team looks cooked. Then again, everything said the same about Boston a week and a half ago, and we saw what happened there. If Pena and Longoria would stop swinging for the fences, maybe they wouldn't be a combined 0-532 in the series with 300 K's. I'm having a 90's Braves flashback wherein the Rays have abandoned everything they did to get to the World Series... IN the World Series. It's disgusting.

All that said, I have a strangely good feeling about tonight.

Actually second. I figured you'd remember the first one. :)

Hahahahaha, guess I did forget that one!!!!!!!!!!!! That game 7 is so far gone from my memory now, lol.

Just focusing on the present and the future.

Yooooouk won the Hank Aaron ward for the AL, and Pedroia was named to the TSN all star team.

RedSox taking a serious run at Texiera? And what will become the Captain?

Sorry Rays fans but I think the Phillies close the door tonight. They want to win it at home.

There's one obvious answer to the weather issues in Philly: MOVE THE REMAINDER OF THE SUSPENDED GAME TO MILWAUKEE!! Come on, Bud... you know you want to.

They need to go ahead and officially make the rule that all playoff games must go 9 innings, because you kinda got the feeling that they didn't want to call the game official after 5 and give the Phillies the title due to rain. Thus, suspending the game then wouldn't have been an issue, and the need to give the Rays that 6th inning at bat - which was played in some of the worst weather I've ever seen baseball played in - would've been irrelevant. Somehow, though, the Rays managed to tie the game and we're now where we're at.

Totally bizarre.

I definately agree that a World Series game has to go 9 but that gme should have been suspended at the end of the 5th. The quality of play from there on was useless and should have no say on the outcome of that game because it was way out of the players hands.

Im guessing Bud Selig was celebrating the fact that the Rays tied it up so now the resumed game basically starts out even. If I was a fan there, Im not sure how happy Id be about this but what can you do? I hope they saved and protected their tickets from getting all soaked.

Also, who pitches? They bring out 2 new pitchers, I'm guessing Myers for the Phillies, and either Shields or Garza from the Rays. I would be surprised if they didn't.

I'd be shocked if anyone but David Price is on the hill when Tampa takes the field later tonight.

Technically, Balfour is in the game, but I doubt he'll throw. That also sets Price up to bat in the 7th or 8th, but who cares at that point.

Something that struck me as a little odd in this series* it the order of the games. 2 in Tampa, then 3 in Philly then 2 more in Tampa... I know this gives Tampa more theoritical home games, plus chances in games 6 and 7 to win the title in front of the home crowd (and dont most WS's go the full 7? At least they seem to).. but in this case, this format has given all the momentum to the Phillies. Of course they won Game 1 in Tampa, which basically nullified the home field advantage, but then they come and win 2 in a row convincingly back in Philly. Its almost hard to tell who is the "home" team and who is the "road" team. Of course Tampa seems to be self destructing as well, but Philly is still struggling too (at least with RISP)... And the weather has played a role as well, but as I think has been mentioned in the football thread, both teams have to play in the weather.. although a non-dome team would be slightly more used to it.

I can't say its better or worse then the hockey format of 2 home - 2 road - home - road - home... but to give the road team three home games in a row seems to shift the momentum of the series.. of course maybe thats intentional.. they would probably love every series in history to come down to a deciding game 7. More exciting for the game and more money in the coffers.

*I should say its probably always been that way its not just "this series" but I didnt notice until this year... lol

I think Maddon said today that Balfour will come back when the game resumes.

he did....but if the phillies pinch hit then who knows. i don't think anyone will really know for sure

he did....but if the phillies pinch hit then who knows. i don't think anyone will really know for sure

With it being at Philly, dont they have the last change of players? Wont Tampa have to put the pitcher on the m ound before Philly has to send in the batter? If I were Maddon, I'd probably just put in Price for three innings for my best chance. If you win, you wouldnt want to have lost a starter for the next games and this is really do or die.

Advantage goes to Philly. They have 4 at bats to get the job done to Tampa's 3. Philly's bullpen has been solid and Tampa's is having trouble keeping them in games.

X factor=the weather, last night proved that even the best teams in the league can play some pretty awful baseball under those conditions. How did they even let that game get started last night knowing full well that a storm was blowing in fast with 0% of any clearing whatsoever all night long?

Here's a great idea... let's wait til the 8th to bring in the best arm we got in the pen.

Here's another... give B.J. the green light with our best base stealer on first base.

And one more... run thru the stop sign and get gunned down at the plate.

The Phils were the better team for the series, obviously. But Tampa - and Maddon - did themselves no favors.

Here's a great idea... let's wait til the 8th to bring in the best arm we got in the pen.

Here's another... give B.J. the green light with our best base stealer on first base.

And one more... run thru the stop sign and get gunned down at the plate.

The Phils were the better team for the series, obviously. But Tampa - and Maddon - did themselves no favors.

Sorry Rays fans, but it was an unexpected and great season. Congrats Philly fans (do we have any?)

Why didnt Maddon put a starter in for this game? With everything on the line, how on earth do you trust the biggest inning of your life to the same guys in the bullpen who havent been getting it done, when you have some of the leagues best starters sitting there well rested and ready to go.? I was baffled.

You could see it, the Rays were rattled and the Phillies werent going to be denied, not after everything that had gone on in this series. I was really hoping for a 7 game series.

Onto the off season......

WORLD SERIES CHAMPS ...... PHILLIES

Yes, I am a Phillie Fan. I was there in 1980 and I wish I could have been there tonight. Just got home from work and watching the best part of the game,,ya'know. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO :)

I would have liked to see TB win it in thier first ever trip.. but hey.. they will be back in the post season next year.. Price will win them many games as a starter.

Since the Phillies won my fiance and her dad are happy, so you could say I was kinda half pulling for Philly as well.

From the games that I watched (1, 3, 5 part 1 and 5 part II) TB just fell apart... dropping balls in the infield, Longoria's hitting gone cold.. Philly just didnt make that many mistakes.. and they made the best of 3 games in a row at home.

Congrats phillies...now if the Flyers can just get it together...

Congrats to the Phillies, They proved the NL is not as bad as some have said in the media.

The Rays had a very good year and should be proud of what they accomplished this year and

should be good for years to come.

They proved the NL is not as bad as some have said in the media.

That's one good thing to come out of this. You can make the argument that they're the first "deserving" NL team to win the World Series since 2001. And being an old school NL fan, I can live with that.

It still stings today, more than it did last night.

The Rays are LOADED with young talent, and have no reason at all not to be as good or BETTER next season. They have experience now, maybe Kazmir, Pena, Crawford, and Longoria can be healthy all season, and the Yanks (and Sox to a lesser extent) will be going thru some growing pains. The division should still be there for the taking, and if the rotation - top to bottom, I'd argue the best in baseball - stays healthy, they should roll back into the playoffs. They've proven they're winners, but they didn't win when it ultimately mattered. I'm hoping that's the driving force behind next year's club. If you look at the '86 Mets, who were also loaded with young studs, they weren't the same after they won the title. Hopefully Maddon can keep them focused on the big picture. The Rays aren't gonna sneak up on anyone next season though. They will have a bullseye on their backs. And I look forward to duking it out with Boston again next year, and whoever else may pop up as a contender.

Marlins trade Mike Jacobs to KC for Leo Nunez. I kinda wish the Yanks could of grabbed Jacobs. With that short porch in left, no telling what could happen...

Got a kick out of this. Only 1 day after the World Series ends, Dirtdogs releases the favorites to win it in 2009.

As if they know what will happen with the off season :rolleyes: :

Here is the full list, courtesy of BetOnline.com:

Boston Red Sox 3/1

Chicago Cubs 5/1

LA Angels 5/1

Philadelphia Phillies 6/1

New York Yankees 6/1

Tampa Bay Devil Rays 10/1

Chicago White Sox 10/1

New York Mets 12/1

Milwaukee Brewers 15/1

Minnesota Twins 15/1