The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Of interest to Triangle area baseball fans (who are Time Warner customers):

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1276008.html

For what feels like the 50th time, an arbitrator has told TWC to carry MASN. And for about the 50th time, TWC is going to appeal the decision. Again. At this rate, we'll probably starting getting these ball games around the year 2015. In the meantime, I'll get to continue having all Sox games against the O's blacked out on mlb.tv. Whoopee.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1276008.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1276008.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1276008.html

[/post]

For what feels like the 50th time, an arbitrator has told TWC to carry MASN. And for about the 50th time, TWC is going to appeal the decision. Again. At this rate, we'll probably starting getting these ball games around the year 2015. In the meantime, I'll get to continue having all Sox games against the O's blacked out on mlb.tv. Whoopee.

You need DirectTV ;)

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1276008.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1276008.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1276008.html

[/post]

Yeah, I'm so sick of this mess. The Sox/O's games are the only time I ever use Gameday for anything.

I hope the Yanks do NOT go after Manny... come on guys.. you saw what kind of BS they went through in Boston. Manny's not going to cut his hair... get some youth, and get proven young people... not proven older players. I guess it's just hockey now. :)

I hope the Yanks do NOT go after Manny... come on guys.. you saw what kind of BS they went through in Boston. Manny's not going to cut his hair... get some youth, and get proven young people... not proven older players. I guess it's just hockey now. :)

If they make a play for Manny, you've gotta assume it's coming from Hank the windbag. It would be rather out of character for Cashman to want another old LF/DH type like Manny.

According to general manager Theo Epstein, Mike Timlin is unlikely to re-sign with the Red Sox.

"We came to a mutual understanding that Boston probably wouldn't be the best fit for him," Epstein said. Timlin is 42 years old and posted the worst ERA of his career in 2008, but should get some one-year offers if he wants to keep pitching.

Very interesting this offseason... Scott Boras is going after Posada like money for Varitek... RIDICULOUS!!! Posada's money was ridiculous for Posada, giving it to Varitek would be insane.

http://blogs.weei.com/alexspeier/2008/11/0...k-negotiations/

I hate how the Red Sox/Yanks go after someone just to drive the price up for that guy... supposedly going after Teixeira, Sabathia, Sheets, Burnett, yada yada...

This is an expansion of C23s post above

This is a joke if Boras thinks this about an aging catcher who could

not hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...er_s_benchmark/

Not so fast on Jason Varitek

DANA POINT, Calif. - If the Red Sox [team stats] were entertaining thoughts that their efforts to re-sign free agent catcher Jason Varitek [stats] were going to be easy, they learned otherwise yesterday.

Agent Scott Boras told reporters that New York Yankees catcher Jorge Posada

What a blow hard. Trying to deflect some of the offensive liability with the leadership and coaching of pitchers. I guess he's doing what an agent should do but good luck with that. I'd like to think that Varitek will have the ultimate decision and wont let Boras embarrass him like he did for Arod.

What a blow hard. Trying to deflect some of the offensive liability with the leadership and coaching of pitchers. I guess he's doing what an agent should do but good luck with that. I'd like to think that Varitek will have the ultimate decision and wont let Boras embarrass him like he did for Arod.

Hel also wants a 6 year deal for Manny. Good luck getting that. What a loser he is.

Hel also wants a 6 year deal for Manny. Good luck getting that. What a loser he is.

I actually hope the Yankees take him up on that.

Hmmm, lets compare Posada to Varitek in stats:

Posada hit .338/.426/.543 with 20 homers and 90 RBI in the season before signing his four-year deal.

Varitek hit .220/.313/.359 with 13 homers and 43 RBI in 2008.

Gotta love the lead story on Dirtdogs.com:

Boras Upstages Obama Speech By Saying the

Most Incredible Things About Jason Varitek

:lol:

"You aren't going to have many catchers with those performance levels -- a 60 percent winning percentage on a franchise which has won two championships, caught four no-hitters. I can go on and on... The idea of it is there aren't many players in the marketplace who lead a team like Jason Varitek can, and that's got to be his value... I'd have to take exception to the ["down year"] terminology based on his assignment, which was 70-80 percent defensive. The Red Sox won 60 percent of their games when he caught." -- 11.04.08, Scott Boras with a straight face, but a very long nose

BDD_SB_gmmeet_11.5.08_ap.jpg

Pedroia gets his well deserved Gold Glove :)

BDD_DP_gold_9.24.08_bgjd.jpg

Other AL winners: P Mike Mussina, C Joe Mauer, 1B Carlos Pena, 2B Dustin Pedroia, 3B Adrian Beltre, SS Michael Young, OF Torii Hunter, OF Grady Sizemore, OF Ichiro Suzuki

And in Manny news, this just in from agent Scott Boras :rolleyes:

"Yes, Boston is out of the equation for Manny," agent Scott Boras confirmed today on the Dan Patrick radio show, when asked if the Red Sox were out of the mix for Manny Ramirez. Boras also said Manny was never comfortable living in the Boston area.

"Well certainly he was happy in Los Angeles, he was happy in Cleveland, and he's given me some other destinations where he believes he's going to be comfortable playing baseball," Boras said. "I'm not here to make a public record of it [possible destinations], but he's given me a list of teams." Boras would not comment on any other teams that may be involved in negotiations with the former Red Sox left fielder.

Boras was asked by Patrick whether he thought it was fair for teams to inquire about the experiences Manny had with the Red Sox in Boston.

"I think the totality of the circumstances [of Boston] are very fair to ask. ... Owners, when they talk to me about any player, they're going to want to know about a lot of factors," Boras said. "I think you have to address the Cleveland issue. And the Los Angeles issue. And the Boston issue about whenever you talk about Manny's career track...

"Manny again, after signing the contract, and again, I didn't represent him at the time, he was playing in Boston and he realized that he was not comfortable living in the city of Boston. He liked the organization, he liked his teammates, he certainly liked the success they had, but as far as living in the city of Boston, it was a place that he just really preferred to live in a different environment."

Patrick asked Boras why Manny didn't consider moving out into the suburbs like other New England professional athletes have done.

"I think he explored that [moving to the suburbs] and he did not find the process to be much different," Boras said. "It was just basically that the Boston community for Manny was something that he was just not comfortable with. He happens to be comfortable in the suburbs of Cleveland, or in the suburbs of Los Angeles, but that's just an individual appraisal on his part. He felt that way for years. He voiced it to management and certainly that was the reasoning behind his decision."

So am I right in guessing that the constant mentioning of Cleveland puts them as front runners?

Watch your tongue TSA. <_< No Manny in my teams neighborhood. I could care less if he lived in NY. Let him go to the Brewers or Royals and make a huge impact.

Having threads over 100 pages long can cause indexing problems with the software so since the season is now over I am locking this thread for that reason. Please feel free to restart an off season thread. Once again this thread is not locked because of any rule violations, just due to indexing issues.

Having threads over 100 pages long can cause indexing problems with the software so since the season is now over I am locking this thread for that reason. Please feel free to restart an off season thread. Once again this thread is not locked because of any rule violations, just due to indexing issues.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

:o:o:o:o:o

Optionally you can split out the off season posts into a new thread. I hate baseball though and I'm stuffed from birthday dinner for Mom so I'll let you handle that. :P