The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Did I miss something??? Weren't the Red Sox winning this game 10-1 at some point?

Yeah, then the 6th inning happened. DiceK fell off the map. Then Lopez came in. He had nothing. MDC came in and got out of the inning thanks to a diving catch by Ellsbury otherwise the Jays would've tied it up.

We might need another touchdown.

Thank goodness for Okajima. How a 10-1 game turns into a save situation I'll never know but maybe Pap can pull off a QB sneak?

Seriously, looking at the stats, it looks like we were taking batting practice for 5 innings.

Did I miss something??? Weren't the Red Sox winning this game 10-1 at some point?

Yeah, then the 6th inning happened. DiceK fell off the map. Then Lopez came in. He had nothing. MDC came in and got out of the inning thanks to a diving catch by Ellsbury otherwise the Jays would've tied it up.

We might need another touchdown.

Thank goodness for Okajima. How a 10-1 game turns into a save situation I'll never know but maybe Pap can pull off a QB sneak?

Seriously, looking at the stats, it looks like we were taking batting practice for 5 innings.

At least they're making up for the crappy run support DiceK's gotten so often.

You're killing me and its only the 7th????? :o

Has Mike Lowell been sneaking some of Bary Bond's candy? What a season he's having.

At least they're making up for the crappy run support DiceK's gotten so often.

You're killing me and its only the 7th????? :o

Has Mike Lowell been sneaking some of Bary Bond's candy? What a season he's having.

4 hours, 23 runs and 11 pitchers to get the win. :huh:

They just erased the Yanks sweep last weekend.

4 hours, 23 runs and 11 pitchers to get the win. :huh:

They just erased the Yanks sweep last weekend.

Buchholz, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester......can Theo draft any freaking better???!!! ;) Weird game tonight, but the offense is really coming around.

Here are my thoughts on Dice K:

First of all under no circumstances should Dice have given up all those runs.

I do think though that it wasn't all his fault. This season is still very much a learning experience for him, pitching every 5th day is new to him and the schedule is longer so this season is kind of a trial run for him. I'm hoping that the Sox wrap up the division pretty soon so that they can use Tavarez and Buchholz down the stretch to rest DiceK and some of the others. With a 9 run lead and 5 very strong innings in the book there is no reason for Dice K to come back out. It doesn't help Dice or the team for him to come back out for any more innings. Sitting that long and then having to go back out and pitch again is really tough, does Coma not know that? Also a lot of BP pitchers haven't pitched a bunch lately so why not get them some work? Coma needs to start making sure his SP gets the job done and doesn't always have to go 7 innings even when he's struggled, but gotten decent results (Yanks series) or had great stuff but the game turns into a blowout (tonight).

I think that Dice has had a really good 1st season and could easily have like 15 or 16 wins if the offense would've scored him some runs in some of his No Decision gems. Coma needs to realize that and needs to realize that he has the best/rested BP in baseball so Dice needs to rest and get geared up for the playoffs, why push him to the limit each game?

I think our playoff roster should be: Beckett, Dice K, Schill, Wake

BP: Lester, Buchholz, Pap, Oki, Timlin, Lopez, Delcarmen, Gagne, Tavarez

Lineup: Coco, Pedroia, Ortiz, Manny, Lowell, Youk, Drew, Tek, Lugo

Bench: Ellsbury, Kielty, Mirabelli

Very fair assessment. It was nice to see Oki out there doing his thing again. Ever since Gagne arrived, Oki has lost a ton of innings and why? Now Gagne is out for at least another week and I hope Oki regains his 8th inning spot. Why not put Gagne in in the 6th or 7th? He's already swallowing his pride not being the closer so why disrupt the Oki/Pap 8th and 9th.

I said it earlier, with the best bull pen in baseball, why strain the starters at this point in the season. And I totally agree with you that DiceK has delivered a great season and should have a few more wins. Next season will go better now that he knows what a long haul it is.

Very fair assessment. It was nice to see Oki out there doing his thing again. Ever since Gagne arrived, Oki has lost a ton of innings and why? Now Gagne is out for at least another week and I hope Oki regains his 8th inning spot. Why not put Gagne in in the 6th or 7th? He's already swallowing his pride not being the closer so why disrupt the Oki/Pap 8th and 9th.

I said it earlier, with the best bull pen in baseball, why strain the starters at this point in the season. And I totally agree with you that DiceK has delivered a great season and should have a few more wins. Next season will go better now that he knows what a long haul it is.

I'd be prepared if Manny isn't ready to go. Trot Nixon had an oblique strain one season and it took 5-6 weeks for him to come back. That being said, I have no problem with Mike Lowell in the clean-up spot behind Papi.

BTW: that's one heck of a BP and bench ;)

I'd be prepared if Manny isn't ready to go. Trot Nixon had an oblique strain one season and it took 5-6 weeks for him to come back. That being said, I have no problem with Mike Lowell in the clean-up spot behind Papi.

BTW: that's one heck of a BP and bench ;)

Only issue with that roster is there's no reserve infielder, I'd be shocked if they didn't carry at least one of Cora and Hinske on a postseason roster. In the 1st round when you probably won't need to carry 13 pitchers for a 5 game series.

I blame this loss on JDPoo.

Asylum, DRays won big tonight...I noticed :)

heck yeah! funny how we get as many runs in a game that doesnt really matter, than we do in the first 10 games combined...

What a 7th inning for the Yankees, eh? Batted around, 8 runs, A-Rod roasts two bombs. We've got a 3 game lead in the Wild Card...see you in the playoffs, Sox, if you don't blow it, that is ;)

Buchholz gets his 3rd major league win, he is the real deal without question.

How was the game Warbird? Just like a home game at Fenway South, LOL.

Definitely worth the trip. I'll try to post a few pics later.

So when Drew came up with the bases loaded and 1 out in the 8th, was there any doubt what the outcome would be? Not from where I was sitting. I swear the next time he comes up with a runner on 1st and less then two outs, Tito should just order him not to swing at all, just let him strikeout or walk.

So when Drew came up with the bases loaded and 1 out in the 8th, was there any doubt what the outcome would be? Not from where I was sitting. I swear the next time he comes up with a runner on 1st and less then two outs, Tito should just order him not to swing at all, just let him strikeout or walk.

When that happened, I thought of you immediately and wondered how bad the booing was. They need to keep Yoooouuuk in the line up right after JDPoo so the Yooooouuuuks will drown out the boooos. The retro uni's looked pretty cool on TV. Too bad you couldn't stay for the whole weekend. The whole Inner Harbor gets packed with Sox fans and its just crazy. Kinda just like standing on Yawkey Way waiting to enter Fenway, with just as many Sox fans.

I have to admit I've spent a lot of time at the ESPN Zone there.

When that happened, I thought of you immediately and wondered how bad the booing was. They need to keep Yoooouuuk in the line up right after JDPoo so the Yooooouuuuks will drown out the boooos. The retro uni's looked pretty cool on TV. Too bad you couldn't stay for the whole weekend. The whole Inner Harbor gets packed with Sox fans and its just crazy. Kinda just like standing on Yawkey Way waiting to enter Fenway, with just as many Sox fans.

I have to admit I've spent a lot of time at the ESPN Zone there.