The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Crazy game last night. I didn't get to tune in until the 3rd and it looked pretty dismal. Nice to see them rally but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was a little nervous heading into the post season. It just amazes me that a team that can play so brilliantly one moment can look so flat another. When they're on, its obvious why they have the best record in the league, but when they're off, I just scratch my head.

The bad news: Gagne still scares the crap out of me. When he came out in the 9th, I literally said, "oh no". I want him to prove me wrong so bad. Wake got pounded again, I don't want to see him end this amazing for him like this. Hopefully he'll rebound soon.

The good news: JD Drew went 4-5 last night????? He's been a hitting machine as of late but still needs to be that clutch player with 2 outs and 2 men on. If he heats up, wouldn't it be a shocker if he became the hero of the post season? Ok, I'll wake up now.

Crazy game last night. I didn't get to tune in until the 3rd and it looked pretty dismal. Nice to see them rally but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was a little nervous heading into the post season. It just amazes me that a team that can play so brilliantly one moment can look so flat another. When they're on, its obvious why they have the best record in the league, but when they're off, I just scratch my head.

The bad news: Gagne still scares the crap out of me. When he came out in the 9th, I literally said, "oh no". I want him to prove me wrong so bad. Wake got pounded again, I don't want to see him end this amazing for him like this. Hopefully he'll rebound soon.

The good news: JD Drew went 4-5 last night????? He's been a hitting machine as of late but still needs to be that clutch player with 2 outs and 2 men on. If he heats up, wouldn't it be a shocker if he became the hero of the post season? Ok, I'll wake up now.

They're an enigma, thats for sure. Sometimes I can't believe we've got the best record in the league myself. We haven't had any long winning streaks or many dramatic comebacks (last night nonwithstanding). There's been no "turning point" like the Tek/Arod brawl game in '04. Manny and Papi have both had down years and two of our biggest acquisitions, Drew and Lugo, have mostly been busts until lately. And yet here we are.

http://www.newburyportnews.com/pusports/local_story_255120133?page=0' target="_blank">Tek's got JD's back[/post]

Wow, Tek is not a man of many words but that was strong. Good for him, I'll behave now.

Sorry Warbird and Topshelf but JD sucks. 8 Hr and 55 or so RBI for $14 million is not good

Pedrioa, Lowell and the usual Oritz and Manny are the run producers

Papi does what Papi does, and in the nick of time at that. I thought the whole time Young was gonna catch it, and maybe he should've, but we'll take it any way we get it. Had we lost this one, with as bad as the Jays are playing, the lead likely would've been down to 3.5 come Friday. So this was huge.

Side note, Joba's shutout streak has ended, courtesy of an A-Rod error.

Papi does what Papi does, and in the nick of time at that. I thought the whole time Young was gonna catch it, and maybe he should've, but we'll take it any way we get it. Had we lost this one, with as bad as the Jays are playing, the lead likely would've been down to 3.5 come Friday. So this was huge.

Side note, Joba's shutout streak has ended, courtesy of an A-Rod error.

His ERA is still 0.00, so it's all good.

GREAT GAME tonight guys!! JD has really hit the ball well the last few days, Papi was just being Papi and the BP was MARVELOUS!! Lester didn't pitch very well, but you could see he probobly had some sort of minor injury with the way he fell off the mound in the 3rd inning. He really battled though and got us some 0s on the board in innings 2-4.

That was fun. Tavarez really came through and it was great to see Papi be Papi. Hope Lester's ok and just needs some rest.

We realy needed this game.....

That was fun. Tavarez really came through and it was great to see Papi be Papi. Hope Lester's ok and just needs some rest.

We realy needed this game.....

Yanks need all the momentum they need heading to Boston. *shudder* I can just picture another BoSox faithful slugging Abreu if he tries catching a "homer-like ball near the wall (ala Sheffield) We need Toronto to lose, big time tonight. Kennedy vs Burnett, and Boston has the night off. TSA and warbird, you've gotta feel pretty good about having a night off before taking on the Yanks.

Yanks need all the momentum they need heading to Boston. *shudder* I can just picture another BoSox faithful slugging Abreu if he tries catching a "homer-like ball near the wall (ala Sheffield) We need Toronto to lose, big time tonight. Kennedy vs Burnett, and Boston has the night off. TSA and warbird, you've gotta feel pretty good about having a night off before taking on the Yanks.

Maybe a little, but I'm not feeling too good about DiceK/Petite match up right now.

But I am soooooo looking forward to the Schilling/Clemens match up ;) I think the boo-birds will be out in Fenway :lol:

Maybe a little, but I'm not feeling too good about DiceK/Petite match up right now.

But I am soooooo looking forward to the Schilling/Clemens match up ;) I think the boo-birds will be out in Fenway :lol:

I think the lead will be 4.5 going into the series. I dont trust the Jays

Caniac I really give NY credit. They have been en fuego since the All -Star Break

and I think they have just as good of a chance of anyone to get to the World Series

I just want to see an 03-04 repeat. Those were some of the best basebal played of all time bar none :D

We talked a few weeks ago an MLB team, namely the Marlins, maybe being on the move, possibly to NC. Looks like some fuel just got added to that fire yesterday afternoon when the Nats/Marlins game's attendance was estimated to be about 400 people. Announced attendance was 10,000.

20070912ds.jpg

We talked a few weeks ago an MLB team, namely the Marlins, maybe being on the move, possibly to NC. Looks like some fuel just got added to that fire yesterday afternoon when the Nats/Marlins game's attendance was estimated to be about 400 people. Announced attendance was 10,000.

They talked about it on XM today. They were saying that after two World Series and some very good teams, if it hasn't caught on by now in S. Florida....it wont. They attributed the dismal attendence to the fact that there are so many transplants there that follow their own team, and the fact that there's way too much to do in a resort state besides watching baseball. The spring training leagues down there do awesome but again, its mainly because of the psycho fans from teams like the Red Sox and Yankees that would basically follow their teams to Siberia...seriously.

Sounds a bit familiar.....the same is also said for the Panthers down there but I think if the Panthers put a good competetive product on the ice, the fans will come back. This looks like this may be a pivotal year for them cause they've certainly upgraded their team quite a bit. At least they have the excuse of basically sucking the last several years.

BTW, between this new thread and the old one, you think we'll hit 100 pages by the end of the World Series????

Edit: THANK YOU TORONTO!!!!!!! (not you Marcus)

They talked about it on XM today. They were saying that after two World Series and some very good teams, if it hasn't caught on by now in S. Florida....it wont. They attributed the dismal attendence to the fact that there are so many transplants there that follow their own team, and the fact that there's way too much to do in a resort state besides watching baseball. The spring training leagues down there do awesome but again, its mainly because of the psycho fans from teams like the Red Sox and Yankees that would basically follow their teams to Siberia...seriously.

Sounds a bit familiar.....the same is also said for the Panthers down there but I think if the Panthers put a good competetive product on the ice, the fans will come back. This looks like this may be a pivotal year for them cause they've certainly upgraded their team quite a bit. At least they have the excuse of basically sucking the last several years.

BTW, between this new thread and the old one, you think we'll hit 100 pages by the end of the World Series????

You added an extra "not". Please remove it or I'll be forced to spam this topic. We all know you can't thank Toronto without thanking me.

The Jays, namely Burnett, finally manned-up and helped us out some. So here we go, 5.5 up (5 in the loss column), the magic number stands at 11. Not to be overlooked, we also gained a 1/2 game on Anaheim, who somehow found a way to lose to the Orioles, for home field advantage.

Not too optimistic about DiceK vs. Pettitte, hopefully Tito has a quick hook (not likely, though he did get Lester out early last night) in the event of another DiceK meltdown. Beckett/Wang is probably a toss up. Schilling/Clemems is the only one I might be optimistic about.

You added an extra "not". Please remove it or I'll be forced to spam this topic. We all know you can't thank Toronto without thanking me.

I think thanking Toronto was enough. And I really meant it.