The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Plus Gagne has made it clear he wants to stay a closer, so I don't know where we're going with that.

Only thing I can think of is a three-way deal. Does Chicago need a closer?

Braves are really going for it.

Sox are interested in Gagne because the Yanks are interested. We need him, where the Sox just want him to make sure the Yanks don't acquire him to strengthen their dead pen.

Edit: Plus, Gagne CAN still be traded to the Sox or Yanks without his consent, even if he didn't close.

Sox are interested in Gagne because the Yanks are interested. We need him, where the Sox just want him to make sure the Yanks don't acquire him to strengthen their dead pen.

Edit: Plus, Gagne CAN still be traded to the Sox or Yanks without his consent, even if he didn't close.

I thought he had a no trade deal?

To certain teams. There are like 12 teams he agreed to be traded to previously, probably under the notion that he would close at all places. I hope we get Gagne. Trade Farnsworht to Detroit, Detroit trades someone to Texas, and Texas trades Gagne to us. I just don't know who Detroit would trade to Texas.

Its sounding like by the end of the day BOTH Gagne and Dye could be in Boston, because they have the best deal on the table for both...

that would certainly improve the team just a little heading into the playoffs...

Its sounding like by the end of the day BOTH Gagne and Dye could be in Boston, because they have the best deal on the table for both...

that would certainly improve the team just a little heading into the playoffs...

I couldn't agree more!

I couldn't agree more!

I couldn't agree more!

I mean seriously... inserting those 2 into an already dominant team?

It would all but seal the Sox' fate in the AL East (especially with the cake schedule they have coming up) and would set them up VERY nicely for a run in the playoffs...

Did you see who hit the walk off homer last night in Tampa? I was thinking he was going to be delt because he was sat out the last 2 or 3 games. But turns out he had a wrist problem so no such luck for anyone who thinks Carl Crawford would fit their LF position... at least not this season :P

Sox trade Piniera to St. Louis for a player to be named later

Yanks trade Proctor to LA for Betemit

His name is Piniero and thank goodness for that.

I kinda liked having Proctor around ;)

whoops... I knew that... typo

Updated power rankings as of 7/30/07. I think I included all our teams. It'll be interesting to see the update after all the trading takes place:

1) Boston Red Sox

The Yankees are pushing, and they've pushed back.

Last week: 2

4) Cleveland Indians

Their run of regularly making the playoffs ended in 2001 with Kenny Lofton's departure. The bulb above someone's head suddenly went "Ding!"

Last week: 3

6) New York Yankees

Someday, they are going to run out of Royals and Devil Rays. Until then, both their numbers and confidence will keep rising.

Last week: 10

10) Los Angeles Dodgers

Aches and pains are riddling their signature rotation. Right now, Mark Hendrickson is their healthiest starter, which makes pitching a tall order.

Last week: 8

13) Atlanta Braves

The front of their staff (John Smoltz, Tim Hudson) continues to be considerably better than the back end. Those walk-off losses are beginning to put off Bobby Cox.

Dropped off the top 15) Friar Drill: San Diego Padres

Some of their good pitching has been stopped by opponents' good hitting -- which violates baseball law, and makes you wonder whether they've reached their Fab 15 peak. If they have to keep winning 18-11 games to come back ... that ain't gonna happen.

Updated power rankings as of 7/30/07. I think I included all our teams. It'll be interesting to see the update after all the trading takes place:

1) Boston Red Sox

The Yankees are pushing, and they've pushed back.

Last week: 2

4) Cleveland Indians

Their run of regularly making the playoffs ended in 2001 with Kenny Lofton's departure. The bulb above someone's head suddenly went "Ding!"

Last week: 3

6) New York Yankees

Someday, they are going to run out of Royals and Devil Rays. Until then, both their numbers and confidence will keep rising.

10) Los Angeles Dodgers

Aches and pains are riddling their signature rotation. Right now, Mark Hendrickson is their healthiest starter, which makes pitching a tall order.

Last week: 8

13) Atlanta Braves

The front of their staff (John Smoltz, Tim Hudson) continues to be considerably better than the back end. Those walk-off losses are beginning to put off Bobby Cox.

Dropped off the top 15) Friar Drill: San Diego Padres

Some of their good pitching has been stopped by opponents' good hitting -- which violates baseball law, and makes you wonder whether they've reached their Fab 15 peak. If they have to keep winning 18-11 games to come back ... that ain't gonna happen.

I don't think the Sox will acquire Dye. Gagne, maybe. I just hope Cashmoney will get rid of the Farnz and Abreu. Even if it's for prospects, or a reliever, please, get rid of them.

I don't think the Sox will acquire Dye. Gagne, maybe. I just hope Cashmoney will get rid of the Farnz and Abreu. Even if it's for prospects, or a reliever, please, get rid of them.

Why not? I thought just the opposite. Why would Gagne want to go to Boston unless he was prepared to be a short reliever. Okajima has closed for us when Pap wasn't available. Dye makes much more sense to me, unless Chicago is in need of a closer or short reliever and we make a three-way trade.

Why not? I thought just the opposite. Why would Gagne want to go to Boston unless he was prepared to be a short reliever. Okajima has closed for us when Pap wasn't available. Dye makes much more sense to me, unless Chicago is in need of a closer or short reliever and we make a three-way trade.

With Proctor gone, could they really afford to strip that bullpen down any more? Farnsworth for Dotel could be done I guess.

Eric Gagne traded to Boston per ESPNNews

Jermaine Dye traded to Boston per WEEI

Gabbard and David Murphy are the names I've heard are going in exchange for Gagne. Would be a great deal IMO.