The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Eric Gagne traded to Boston per ESPNNews

Jermaine Dye traded to Boston per WEEI

Gabbard and David Murphy are the names I've heard are going in exchange for Gagne. Would be a great deal IMO.

Yep, and it would allow for the possibility of Papelbon moving up into the starter's position next year...

Also, I might be wrong about Dye... FOXSports is claiming that those talks are dead

As are mlbtraderumors.com about the Dye deal. Sox want pitching to shut down the Yanks offense. And everyones offense as well. Gagne, Okijima, Papelbon. Can you imagine THAT bullpen coming out? Each COULD go 2 innings if need be in tight games or if the starting pitcher sucked for that game. Papelbon could probably do more, since he was a starting pitcher.

I don't think the Sox will acquire Dye. Gagne, maybe. I just hope Cashmoney will get rid of the Farnz and Abreu. Even if it's for prospects, or a reliever, please, get rid of them.

With Proctor gone, could they really afford to strip that bullpen down any more? Farnsworth for Dotel could be done I guess.

They're planning on bringing up Joba Chamberlain for releif, who can easily go 2-3 innings of relief work since he's normally a starter. Phil Hughes is set up come back soon as well.

Padres were interested in Kei Igawa, but Yanks didn't want to let him go. Yanks are in the same position with him as they were a few years ago with Jose Contreras. Great great pitcher, scouted as being this and that, win a high bidding war for him... and he's not that good for us here. Maybe somewhere else, like Colorado, or Seatle with fellow country men Ichiro and Johima, but I would try to get some other relief help as well. Farns isn't on the same page with us here. I say, trade him to Marlins for Olsen if that was all possible. Both need a new change of scenery.

Padres acquire Morgan Ensberg. I've been fond of Ensberg ever since reading about him in an ESPN article.

I think Proctor for an overrated Betemit is a good move for the Dodgers

The Sox really want to make a run with getting Gagne. Sorry to see Gabbard go as he was pitching really well.

Hey Gip is the Yanks pitching still better than Bostons ;)

Beckett

Matsusaka

Schilling

Lester

Wakefield

with middle relief

Okajima

Gagne

and Papelbon the closer.

Looks strong to me

Caniac23 I still respect NY and think they will make a run at the WC still. Too much talent to not.

I think Proctor for an overrated Betemit is a good move for the Dodgers

The Sox really want to make a run with getting Gagne. Sorry to see Gabbard go as he was pitching really well.

Hey Gip is the Yanks pitching still better than Bostons ;)

Beckett

Matsusaka

Schilling

Lester

Wakefield

with middle relief

Okajima

Gagne

and Papelbon the closer.

Looks strong to me

Caniac23 I still respect NY and think they will make a run at the WC still. Too much talent to not.

If my hunch serves me correct, they wanted Betemit for 3rd base if/when A-rod leaves. He's a great Utility man. And the Yanks have wanted him for a while. Proctor was so good last year, and then this year his control was an issue. I still think he was better than Farnsworst. Sox are getting the AL East, no doubt about it. Yanks could take the wild card. If by some miracle, Becket goes on DL because of blisters, Dice-K and Okajima lose their stuff, and Papelbon loses his cool, the Yanks can still get the AL East. But only if certain things like that (and Papi going into surgery, and Manny hops a plane to the Dominican Republic and cant leave).

Other than that... No problem! ;)

I think we were selling high with Gabbard. He's been good lately but he doesn't project to be more than a back of the rotation guy. We've got enough SP prospects that I think he was expendable, plus Lester can now stay in the rotation after Schill comes back.

lol, Ozzie Guillen thrown out of the 1st inning already.Yankees hopefully can continue these at bats for a couple of weeks, perhaps gain some in the Wild Card.

P.S. Medford, no problem. I'm just happy the Yankees didn't continue trading their prospects. We kept Joba, Hughes, Duncan and Duncan, Kennedy. Next season, I'd be surprised of all of these didn't make at least 1 big league appearance and get a taste of the show.

Welcome aboard Mark...I couldn't be happier!

"Mark Teixeira found himself in a pennant race Tuesday when the Atlanta Braves finalized a seven-player trade to acquire him from the Texas Rangers."

""We've got a World Series team,'' shortstop Edgar Renteria said. " .......Woe Renteria....settle down boy....lets see what you got first!

I'm hoping for another Subway Series myself. Met's have a 4.5 lead over Braves. Any time I think of the Mets, I always think of Endy Chavez jumping up and catching that long ball that should of been a homerun, game 7 of NLCS. I mean, wow. I thought for sure the gods were on their side that night.

I was going to put our pitching... but there's nothing really to put. Clemens, Mussina, and Petitte are to me, 5 inning pitchers. Possibly 6, stretching to 7. The only reason why they're here is because of the post season. The boss is thinking that when we get into the post season, they'll have that mentallty, experience, etc. I'm just hoping that the Yankees can get enough offense to back up the pitching that goes sour.

Biggest winners of the deadline (In My Humble Opinion)

1. Braves - Tiexiera and Dotel will really help that team out. Plus, they're in the NL, so anything can happen.

2. RedSox - Gagne added to that bullpen pretty much spells doom to everyone else in the American League. If you don't have a lead after 6 innings against the RedSox, you aren't going to win the game. Not with Gagne, Okajima, and Papelbon ready to come out of the bullpen in a 1-2-3 punch. Combine that with the starters they have, and they're the clear favorite to win the World Series right now.

3. Phillies - Added a 4th/5th starter, helped out the bullpen, and added Igawa to fill in for Utley. Combine this with Myers and Gordon coming off the DL, and that is suddenly a very solid pitching staff in Philadelphia. If that rotation and that bullpen can get it together, and combine that with the offense they already have, they could very easily be this year's St. Louis Cardinals, who enter the playoffs uneventfully and then explode to win it all.

Biggest loser:

New York Yankees - They were very weak in the bullpen, so what do they do? Got rid of a reliever and got a player in return that is basically signaling the end of the ARod era in the Bronx... ouch

Biggest winners of the deadline (In My Humble Opinion)

1. Braves - Tiexiera and Dotel will really help that team out. Plus, they're in the NL, so anything can happen.

2. RedSox - Gagne added to that bullpen pretty much spells doom to everyone else in the American League. If you don't have a lead after 6 innings against the RedSox, you aren't going to win the game. Not with Gagne, Okajima, and Papelbon ready to come out of the bullpen in a 1-2-3 punch. Combine that with the starters they have, and they're the clear favorite to win the World Series right now.

3. Phillies - Added a 4th/5th starter, helped out the bullpen, and added Igawa to fill in for Utley. Combine this with Myers and Gordon coming off the DL, and that is suddenly a very solid pitching staff in Philadelphia. If that rotation and that bullpen can get it together, and combine that with the offense they already have, they could very easily be this year's St. Louis Cardinals, who enter the playoffs uneventfully and then explode to win it all.

Biggest loser:

New York Yankees - They were very weak in the bullpen, so what do they do? Got rid of a reliever and got a player in return that is basically signaling the end of the ARod era in the Bronx... ouch

I was really hoping to trade Farns. The reasoning for trading Proctor, supposedly, is because of over use. Thinking they've used him too much, his shoulder might be wearing down, etc etc.. But yes, they do need relief help. I don't expect Bruney to be much help, and Mo can't do it every game, for more than 1 inning. After a couple days rest, he could do 2 innings. An inning a night for 3 nights, sure. But 2 innings this night, inning and a half the next night.. it takes a toll on him.

Sox and Tigers are still the "Favorites" out of the bunch. If Yankees don't make the playoffs, maybe it might piss off the Boss and trade and not renew certain contracts. Give some of the younger players a chance. Let Wang/Hughes/Joba take the wheel.

Biggest loser? I wouldn't say that. They didn't make their July headlines like they normally do. We kept our younger guys. Good pitching, a great OF in Melky. Which, to me, I like.

Plus, Proctors Career vs. Bos: 29.1 ip, 8.28 era, .952 OPSa. Had he been used more sparingly, maybe it'd be a different story. But he was the innings eater for the Yanks unfortunately.

Unlike most NY'ers, if we don't make the playoffs, fine. Let Cashmoney (or possibly someone new) reconstruct the team with the good vets (Jeter, Matsui, Moose, possibly Posada) and up and comers.

Wow, talk about good run support for Mussina :o

Not to sound ungrateful for aquiring Gagne, but we're still stuck with Willie Blow :angry:

Wow, talk about good run support for Mussina :o

Not to sound ungrateful for aquiring Gagne, but we're still stuck with Willie Blow :angry:

Biggest loser? I wouldn't say that. They didn't make their July headlines like they normally do. We kept our younger guys. Good pitching, a great OF in Melky. Which, to me, I like.

Plus, Proctors Career vs. Bos: 29.1 ip, 8.28 era, .952 OPSa. Had he been used more sparingly, maybe it'd be a different story. But he was the innings eater for the Yanks unfortunately.

Unlike most NY'ers, if we don't make the playoffs, fine. Let Cashmoney (or possibly someone new) reconstruct the team with the good vets (Jeter, Matsui, Moose, possibly Posada) and up and comers.

You made your biggest weakness a bigger weakness by reducing depth and you signaled the end for (arguably) your best player...

No other team even came close to as bad a day as the Yankees had

Now, did I just hear right????? Donnelly is done for the season and needs surgery, and Timlin is hurt pretty bad?????

Now I know why Theo went after Gagne instaed of Dye today.

In other bad news, Tavarez is getting the start tomorrow night :rolleyes:

Now, did I just hear right????? Donnelly is done for the season and needs surgery, and Timlin is hurt pretty bad?????

Now I know why Theo went after Gagne instaed of Dye today.

In other bad news, Tavarez is getting the start tomorrow night :rolleyes:

What about the teams that did nothing? At least the Yanks made an effort to do something, even if it doesn't pan out this season.

What about the teams that did nothing? At least the Yanks made an effort to do something, even if it doesn't pan out this season.

Except the Yanks made their bullpen thinner in exchange for a guy they don't need. While its true that teams like Detroit or Anaheim that did nothing could be viewed as losers, the Yanks could be the one team that actually made themselves worse.

Our starting rotation will have Wang, Mussina, Pettite, Clemens, Hughes.

Bullpen

Brian Bruney

Ron Villone

Sean Henn

Luis Vizcaino

Mike Myers

Kyle Farnsworth

Joba Chamberlain (within a couple of weeks)

Mariano Rivera

We have enough support, quantity wise. Most teams have around 7 pitchers in their bullpen. More than likely, the pen's not that great because of overuse from the first half of the season. If the starters can get it together, and work 6 innings, hell, possibly 7, the bullpen can rest up and provide the insurance it needs. Of course, that's a big what if on the starters behalf. Of course, with 4 pitchers on the disabled list, some about to come back as well, some pitchers could be sent down to make room for other pitchers (like Henn, Villone).

Also, site question. Being Red Sox fans, how did you all feel when Nomar was traded in 2004? What were your intial reactions? Just something I wanted to know. Thanks.