The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Woo, you're sick for a while and wow... Tomorrows the deadline for Abreus option. DONT EXERCISE IT YANKS! DONT! Also, Yanks have mentioned moved Cano to 3rd and maybe getting Orlando Hudson, or possibly Joe Crede for Johnny Damon. Giriadi is introcuded with #27, which I thought was catchy. And Torre and (possibly and more than likely) Mattingly headed out west to the Dodgers. Wow. :blink:

Well, Abreu was exercised and he's back on the team... for now. I'm hoping they somehow finangle it so that maybe he's trade bait... Abreu/Wang for Johan Santanta? A mediocre Santana is still better than Wang in my opinion. 1 year left on Johans contract, it wouldn't be worth looking into. As long as they don't trade away some more of our youth (Melky, Joba, Hughes, Kennedy, Tabata(future OF).. ).. .. I they keep Abreu, it's only for 1 more year. Enough time for out young OF's to possibly develop more, and then step up to the plate in the new house that Cashmoney built. We'll see how it plays out with Rivera, Posada, and Pettitte.

Any word yet on Lowell with Boston? I can't see Boston signing Arod with so much of the fanbase saying No. But I can still see Lowell walking.. He knows there's an overpaying employer right down the block from them.

Red Sox-Hot Stove Report

Tim Wakefield and Julian Tavarez are staying put in Boston. With Wake, Beckett, DiceK,Lester, Bucholtz, Oki and Pap...its highly unlikely they offer Schilling a deal. I'm guessing that with Wake coming back, that means that Mirabelli willl probably be re-signed though he did file for free agency.

Pitching coach Jon Farrell chooses to remain in Boston rather than pursue a managerial job:

"While I do have aspirations to manage in the Major Leagues in the future, my commitment to [owner] John [Henry], [chairman] Tom [Werner], [president/CEO] Larry [Lucchino], [general manager] Theo [Epstein], Tito [Francona] and the Red Sox needs to be greater than one year for their faith in hiring me as their pitching coach," said Farrell. "Therefore, I have declined the opportunity to interview for the position of Pittsburgh Pirates manager. I look forward to contributing to and competing for another World Series title here in Boston."

Red Sox will not exercise the option on Curt Schilling's contract although he reports they are talking.

Mike Lowell's option is being picked up but I don't think we'll hear too much about that for a while.

When asked about Arod, Tom Werner replied, "We built a great ball club without Alex Rodriguez," Werner said, "and yes, we obviously recognize he is one of the great players in the game.

"But our priority is first to have conversations with Mike Lowell's agent."

Papi is reported to be having knee surgery Monday.

Red Sox-Hot Stove Report

Tim Wakefield and Julian Tavarez are staying put in Boston. With Wake, Beckett, DiceK,Lester, Bucholtz, Oki and Pap...its highly unlikely they offer Schilling a deal. I'm guessing that with Wake coming back, that means that Mirabelli willl probably be re-signed though he did file for free agency.

Pitching coach Jon Farrell chooses to remain in Boston rather than pursue a managerial job:

"While I do have aspirations to manage in the Major Leagues in the future, my commitment to [owner] John [Henry], [chairman] Tom [Werner], [president/CEO] Larry [Lucchino], [general manager] Theo [Epstein], Tito [Francona] and the Red Sox needs to be greater than one year for their faith in hiring me as their pitching coach," said Farrell. "Therefore, I have declined the opportunity to interview for the position of Pittsburgh Pirates manager. I look forward to contributing to and competing for another World Series title here in Boston."

Red Sox will not exercise the option on Curt Schilling's contract although he reports they are talking.

Mike Lowell's option is being picked up but I don't think we'll hear too much about that for a while.

When asked about Arod, Tom Werner replied, "We built a great ball club without Alex Rodriguez," Werner said, "and yes, we obviously recognize he is one of the great players in the game.

"But our priority is first to have conversations with Mike Lowell's agent."

Papi is reported to be having knee surgery Monday.

Man, I'd love to be Lowell or his agent right now. He is in a very good spot, telling the Sox what HE wants, and if he doesn't get it, I KNOW he'll goto the Yankees for it (and they're more than willing to give him more than what he's worth, no offense.)

Ok, so Arod is asking for $350,000,000? Im speechless.....

I hope no team offers him anything and he sits and waits.

BTW C23, ESPN just introduced Betemit (spelling) as the starting 3rd baseman for the Yankees. :huh:

Ok, so Arod is asking for $350,000,000? Im speechless.....

I hope no team offers him anything and he sits and waits.

BTW C23, ESPN just introduced Betemit (spelling) as the starting 3rd baseman for the Yankees. :huh:

Cashmoney wanted Cano to start at 3rd and maybe acquiring a 2nd baseman as they're easier to find. But Cano said No (not his choice ultimately, but hey..) I think Betemit would be an ok 3rd baseman. He's what, 26? 27? He's not a "rookie", he knows how the majors works, and he's not expected to hit 50 homers, drive in 150 RBI's, and bat cleanup. As long as he doesnt commit alot of errors and doesn't strikeout more than he hits, he'll be cheered.

Red Sox aquire outfielder Sean Danielson from St. Louis to complete the Piniero trade. Sounds like the OF version of Pedroia. Probably a back up for JDDrew and Manny. Wonder what that mean for Kielty and Hinske?

Scouting Report: Scrappy, undersized, and speedy, Danielson is a great clubhouse presence at any level. He's very capable defensively, able to play al three OF positions well with great range. Strong arm. At the plate, Danielson is a slap hitter who will dig out a few doubles but doesn't have much power. Good on base ability, runs the bases well. Projects as a 4th/5th outfielder at the MLB level, particularly as a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

And just for fun and entertainment... http://www.theoneandonlynorthpole.com/bosoxapp.pdf

Red Sox aquire outfielder Sean Danielson from St. Louis to complete the Piniero trade. Sounds like the OF version of Pedroia. Probably a back up for JDDrew and Manny. Wonder what that mean for Kielty and Hinske?

Scouting Report: Scrappy, undersized, and speedy, Danielson is a great clubhouse presence at any level. He's very capable defensively, able to play al three OF positions well with great range. Strong arm. At the plate, Danielson is a slap hitter who will dig out a few doubles but doesn't have much power. Good on base ability, runs the bases well. Projects as a 4th/5th outfielder at the MLB level, particularly as a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

And just for fun and entertainment... http://www.theoneandonlynorthpole.com/bosoxapp.pdf

The "Memo" below is from a http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/battling-boras/' target="_blank">larger article[/post] from the Hardball Times on how GM's should battle Boras. Pretty good points but you know some GM is still going to give him an even bigger contract than he got in 2000.

Brav-Friggin-O. That was so well put. I say boycott all Boras clients, MAKING them change agents, or something. Boras is the reason the prices go up. He puts ideas into peoples head, only looking out for himself. Yes, it's the players fault for listening to him, but it's like Jesus and Satan. Satan will put ideas into peoples heads, and they follow.

I'm not referring to Boras as Satan, but you get the idea. Put a salary cap in the MLB and get rid of Boras. It would do the industry WONDERS.

Could you imagine if the MLB had to start over and do a draft? Im talking about like MLB 07 or any other video game where you start from the beginning. THAT, my friends, would even everything out. I would just love to see that once. (granted most franchises would still have their money, but hey.. it's a fresh start.)

Read some rumors on a Yanks forum where either a Boston or Minnesota radio station said if Boston offered Crisp, Lester and Bucholz (or Pedroia, Lester Buchholz or something involving those 2 pitchers) that they would trade Johan. Hope that doesn't happen. I would love the Yanks even more if they could get Johan.

Boston + Johan + Beck/Dice/Wake.. = Unstoppable.

Yanks + Johan + Joba/Hughes/Pettitte(?)/Wang = We've got a fighting chance with limited power. :P

Read some rumors on a Yanks forum where either a Boston or Minnesota radio station said if Boston offered Crisp, Lester and Bucholz (or Pedroia, Lester Buchholz or something involving those 2 pitchers) that they would trade Johan. Hope that doesn't happen. I would love the Yanks even more if they could get Johan.

Yanks + Johan + Joba/Hughes/Pettitte(?)/Wang = We've got a fighting chance with limited power. :P

I think the keys words there were "rumor on a Yanks forum"- nuff said.

I think the keys words there were "rumor on a Yanks forum"- nuff said.

No doubt about it that Johan is being traded this year though.

Sorry, not a "rumor" per se... but..

Sean McAdam started it last week on WEEI. He admits there's no legitimacy to it; he was just throwing out what it would take to get Santana.

Crisp/Buchholz/and Lester or Pedroia.

Now, do you trade some high end prospects/rookies/whatever for 1 year services of Johan and hope to sign him with an extension? Or do you wait and see if Johan tries out the FA Market? (Or if the team that traded for him signs him to the extension)

Sean McAdam started it last week on WEEI. He admits there's no legitimacy to it; he was just throwing out what it would take to get Santana.

Now, do you trade some high end prospects/rookies/whatever for 1 year services of Johan and hope to sign him with an extension? Or do you wait and see if Johan tries out the FA Market? (Or if the team that traded for him signs him to the extension)

You wait....but that's just me.

You wait....but that's just me.

You wait because you have Beck/Dice/Lester/Buchholz/Wake. Plus, Oka and Paps.

Yanks? Joba/Hughes/Kennedy/Wang.. maybe Pettitte and... who else as of right now?? :)

I would hate to give up two young pitchers for one season of Santana.

I think Lester and Buchholz can both win 15 this upcoming year and am higher

on Buchholz than Lester due to him being more talented from what I have seen.

Interesting. The fans dont want want this, but hey...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/04/gaps_prompt_gms_to_shop/?page=4' target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...to_shop/?page=4[/post]

Let's see what really happens. I remember hearing John Henry being in love with Arod years ago. I wonder if he still is.

That article only states that Arod would be interested in the Sox, not that they would be interested in him. I don't know C23, when at least 4 of your veteran players (Tek,Papi, Manny and Papelbon) have openly stated to the media that their preference is not have Arod, and an entire fanbase is publicly screaming not to welcome this guy to their city.....I can't see it, but you never know. Im sure Arod reads the papers and has heard all the negativity toward him coming out of Boston too. The only reason why he would even want to go to Boston is because it's his best chance for a ring....period.

Side note: Mike Lowell is the only Red Sox player to have not filed for Free Agency yet. Also, last night at the Canes game, my section (lots of Red Sox fans) broke out into a "Don't sign Arod" chant when Horton took that last penalty at the end of the game. :lol: