The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Interesting. The fans dont want want this, but hey...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/04/gaps_prompt_gms_to_shop/?page=4' target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...to_shop/?page=4[/post]

Let's see what really happens. I remember hearing John Henry being in love with Arod years ago. I wonder if he still is.

That article only states that Arod would be interested in the Sox, not that they would be interested in him. I don't know C23, when at least 4 of your veteran players (Tek,Papi, Manny and Papelbon) have openly stated to the media that their preference is not have Arod, and an entire fanbase is publicly screaming not to welcome this guy to their city.....I can't see it, but you never know. Im sure Arod reads the papers and has heard all the negativity toward him coming out of Boston too. The only reason why he would even want to go to Boston is because it's his best chance for a ring....period.

Side note: Mike Lowell is the only Red Sox player to have not filed for Free Agency yet. Also, last night at the Canes game, my section (lots of Red Sox fans) broke out into a "Don't sign Arod" chant when Horton took that last penalty at the end of the game. :lol:

Yeah, loads of people don't want him there. But it's ultimately up to the main man. So who knows... and yeah, he wants there because he figures thats his best bet of getting a ring now with the nucleous of young players there.

Yanks, just sign Morgan Ensberg. Or trade for him, I can't remember which. :)

Yeah, loads of people don't want him there. But it's ultimately up to the main man. So who knows... and yeah, he wants there because he figures thats his best bet of getting a ring now with the nucleous of young players there.

So I just heard that Arod has decided to maybe reduce his asking price for the Yankees. I guess he's not "feeling the love" from the teams that he supposedly would consider and without the almighty Yankee dollar involved, his value goes way down. I hope the Yankees completely dis him.

Maybe Scott Boras's tactics are finally backfiring on him and his client. :rolleyes:

So I just heard that Arod has decided to maybe reduce his asking price for the Yankees. I guess he's not "feeling the love" from the teams that he supposedly would consider and without the almighty Yankee dollar involved, his value goes way down. I hope the Yankees completely dis him.

Maybe Scott Boras's tactics are finally backfiring on him and his client. :rolleyes:

Man I hope so. I say, boycott Arod this year. NO ONE get him. Let him realize that he is not bigger than the game.

Sign Ensberg!

Andy Pettitte Leaves Yanks, Again..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096412

Man, talk about another crushing blow. I hope he changes his mind and decides to come back.

Edit: After re-reading it, I think he'll be back. It might be a ploy so Cashmoney gets something done with a free roster spot or something. But, I think he'll come back.

Edit2: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=3096553

Schil and Sox close to another deal..

Quoted from the Globe:

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, who is here for the general managers' meetings, had said yesterday that "we're moving the ball forward a little bit" on talks with both Schilling and Mike Lowell but would not get into specifics. Offers apparently were made to both players.

Schilling wrote on his 38pitches.com website, "Talks with the Red Sox are moving. Theo and I have spoken multiple times daily over the past week, and given the current situation, I am feeling very confident that we will be able to finalize a 1-year contract to allow us a chance to finish our career as members of the Red Sox organization.

"There are some things to iron out and details that must be finalized for both sides, but barring something unforeseen or outrageously odd happening, I feel very comfortable that I will finish my career here."

Im glad, Id love to see him retire as a Red Sox since he had such a big part in both WS wins.

C'mon Theo....give me some good news about Mike Lowell too. *cautiously optimistic*

Quoted from the Globe:

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, who is here for the general managers' meetings, had said yesterday that "we're moving the ball forward a little bit" on talks with both Schilling and Mike Lowell but would not get into specifics. Offers apparently were made to both players.

Schilling wrote on his 38pitches.com website, "Talks with the Red Sox are moving. Theo and I have spoken multiple times daily over the past week, and given the current situation, I am feeling very confident that we will be able to finalize a 1-year contract to allow us a chance to finish our career as members of the Red Sox organization.

"There are some things to iron out and details that must be finalized for both sides, but barring something unforeseen or outrageously odd happening, I feel very comfortable that I will finish my career here."

Im glad, Id love to see him retire as a Red Sox since he had such a big part in both WS wins.

C'mon Theo....give me some good news about Mike Lowell too. *cautiously optimistic*

Done deal. Gotta love the hometown discount ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549''>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549[/post]

Curt Schilling and the Boston Red Sox have reached an agreement on a one-year deal worth about $8 million in base salary and another $2 million in potential incentives.

Keep em' coming Theo :)

next up Mike Lowell hopefully B)

and NO AROD please......why ruin a great locker room with that cancer

You know, Theo and I went to the same high school.....he's a smart cookie (they made us that way :lol: ) and he knows better than to bring Arod in ;)

You know, Theo and I went to the same high school.....he's a smart cookie (they made us that way :lol: ) and he knows better than to bring Arod in ;)

yes you are Top very smart

I want No Arod on the Dodgers as well. please please

Done deal. Gotta love the hometown discount ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549''>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549[/post]

Curt Schilling and the Boston Red Sox have reached an agreement on a one-year deal worth about $8 million in base salary and another $2 million in potential incentives.

Keep em' coming Theo :)

I like this, though with both Scill & Wake coming back, one of Lester & Buchholz will have to be left out of the rotation. Of course its probably a safe bet that at least one of Schill & Wake will have a DL stint at some point.

On to Lowell.

yes you are Top very smart

I want No Arod on the Dodgers as well. please please

You're going to enjoy Torre, Bowa and Mattingly med. Yanks arent going for Crede. They want something "bigger", possibly Lowell, or even Scott Rolen. Don't know how he'll fit here.

Posada is going to do what he said.. he's looking over ALL offers, so Yanks will have to sit tight on that one. And they expect to offer Mo a contract soon.

Man, Sox win the WS, and still, the Yanks will be the talk of the offseason for all the holes they have to fill, if they can. I hope they don't throw away the farm for the likes of Johan, Kazmir, or anyone else. Learn from the Sox, no matter how much they might hate them or so.

Yooouuukkkkkk!!! wins a Golden Glove for his errorless play at 1st base. After winning, he was quoted as saying, "It's good to see the same guys out there," he added. "It just flows a little better when you have guys that you're acclimated to and dealing with a on a daily basis. We hope Mike signs back with us and I get to see him across the diamond, throw that ball again."

And after Schilling signed his new contract, "Now the only thing that's left is this: Sign Mike Lowell!" Schilling implored on his Web site.

At least 6 guys Red Sox players have openly spoken out about re-signing Lowell, and Theo claims they're getting very close:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article....sp&c_id=bos

Yooouuukkkkkk!!! wins a Golden Glove for his errorless play at 1st base. After winning, he was quoted as saying, "It's good to see the same guys out there," he added. "It just flows a little better when you have guys that you're acclimated to and dealing with a on a daily basis. We hope Mike signs back with us and I get to see him across the diamond, throw that ball again."

And after Schilling signed his new contract, "Now the only thing that's left is this: Sign Mike Lowell!" Schilling implored on his Web site.

At least 6 guys Red Sox players have openly spoken out about re-signing Lowell, and Theo claims they're getting very close:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article....sp&c_id=bos

I like this, though with both Scill & Wake coming back, one of Lester & Buchholz will have to be left out of the rotation. Of course its probably a safe bet that at least one of Schill & Wake will have a DL stint at some point.

On to Lowell.

As for the pitching problem, like Theo said heading into last season...you can never have too many good pitchers. Like you said, Im sure Schilling and Wake won't be able to play consistently the whole season so there's no reason that Bucholtz won't get plenty of starts over the course of the season, easing him into a full time starter role for the next season. Smart, if you ask me.

On to Lowell.

As for the pitching problem, like Theo said heading into last season...you can never have too many good pitchers. Like you said, Im sure Schilling and Wake won't be able to play consistently the whole season so there's no reason that Bucholtz won't get plenty of starts over the course of the season, easing him into a full time starter role for the next season. Smart, if you ask me.

Here is some insight from the locals.

A really good friend of mine and me both agree, its time for Wake to retire.

Too Shaky for us and I would rather see next season

this rotation

Beckett

Schill

Dice K

Lester

Bucholtz

the need for a 7th/8th inning guy is still a huge need. Okajamias

arm is going to fall off if he is expected to do what he did this year

be like the Indians and have a guy throwing 95-97 in that spot

like Bettencourt.. I am sure maybe Craig Hanson gets another

shot at it. He has the talent and IMO hopefully matured this

season to the pitcher we thought he could be...Also Delcarmen

if he actually can throw strikes should be okay there IMO.

The Sox have other good minor leaguers as well in the pitchin

dept.... Theo has done a great job of getting young arms.

Something Duquette was God awful at doing...

btw I will take some former Yanks on my Dodgers if available :P

Caniac are you now a Dodger fan I hope...We need all the help

we can get LOL when the leading RBI guy was 82 :blink:

I think Wake would be great in the 7 or 8th too. After dealing with Beckett's 90+ arm for 6-7 innings, can you imagine what that would do to the batters to have to re adjust to the knuckle ball, and then back to Pap's lights out for the ninth?

What about Timlin? Him and Lowell filed for free agency yesterday and I know they're working hard to sign Lowell. Timlin leads that bullpen and needs to retire a Red Sox too. Not to mention the bull pen band just won't work without him.

Dan Shauhnessy from the Globe had a great article explaining the whole Schilling deal and how it happened:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds..._around?mode=PF

Schilling better get to the gym :lol:

I think Wake would be great in the 7 or 8th too. After dealing with Beckett's 90+ arm for 6-7 innings, can you imagine what that would do to the batters to have to re adjust to the knuckle ball, and then back to Pap's lights out for the ninth?

What about Timlin? Him and Lowell filed for free agency yesterday and I know they're working hard to sign Lowell. Timlin leads that bullpen and needs to retire a Red Sox too. Not to mention the bull pen band just won't work without him.

Dan Shauhnessy from the Globe had a great article explaining the whole Schilling deal and how it happened:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds..._around?mode=PF

Schilling better get to the gym :lol:

I can't wait for Lowell to sign. We get everyone back next year and hopefully if Hinske is gone then we're gonna have a better bench if someone good can replace Hinske....Kapler is coming back, why not?

Now with Schill coming back we have a strong 5 or even 6 man rotation. I think we will see Buchollz start the season in the minors and then eventually Wake will be moved to the pen unless Schill gets hurt.

Beckett is the ace, Dice is going to be much improved, Lester showed he was getting his control back in September, Buchollz can be a stud in the making, Schill showed the new type of pitcher he can be from his postseason performance and Wake can at least give you some solid inning and comes real cheap. ;)

I can't wait for Lowell to sign. We get everyone back next year and hopefully if Hinske is gone then we're gonna have a better bench if someone good can replace Hinske....Kapler is coming back, why not?

Now with Schill coming back we have a strong 5 or even 6 man rotation. I think we will see Buchollz start the season in the minors and then eventually Wake will be moved to the pen unless Schill gets hurt.

Beckett is the ace, Dice is going to be much improved, Lester showed he was getting his control back in September, Buchollz can be a stud in the making, Schill showed the new type of pitcher he can be from his postseason performance and Wake can at least give you some solid inning and comes real cheap. ;)

Last I read, if Theo gives Lowell a third year guarantee Lowell will give him a hometown discount. I like the sounds of this......again, cautiously optimistic.

In Yankee news, its reported that Brian Cashman told Johnny Damon that he was the lead off guy starting in left field for the Yanks.....where does that leave Matsui? DH if he re-signs? Is Giambi even still under contract?