The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

I can't wait for Lowell to sign. We get everyone back next year and hopefully if Hinske is gone then we're gonna have a better bench if someone good can replace Hinske....Kapler is coming back, why not?

Now with Schill coming back we have a strong 5 or even 6 man rotation. I think we will see Buchollz start the season in the minors and then eventually Wake will be moved to the pen unless Schill gets hurt.

Beckett is the ace, Dice is going to be much improved, Lester showed he was getting his control back in September, Buchollz can be a stud in the making, Schill showed the new type of pitcher he can be from his postseason performance and Wake can at least give you some solid inning and comes real cheap. ;)

Last I read, if Theo gives Lowell a third year guarantee Lowell will give him a hometown discount. I like the sounds of this......again, cautiously optimistic.

In Yankee news, its reported that Brian Cashman told Johnny Damon that he was the lead off guy starting in left field for the Yanks.....where does that leave Matsui? DH if he re-signs? Is Giambi even still under contract?

Last I read, if Theo gives Lowell a third year guarantee Lowell will give him a hometown discount. I like the sounds of this......again, cautiously optimistic.

In Yankee news, its reported that Brian Cashman told Johnny Damon that he was the lead off guy starting in left field for the Yanks.....where does that leave Matsui? DH if he re-signs? Is Giambi even still under contract?

Unfortunately, they're ALL under contract still. Giambi is still owed 21 mil!! And for Pinch Hits! HA! I REALLY REALLY hope the Yanks have learned from their mistakes. If we can get Lowell through free agency, that could leave "touchable" prospects for hopefully some good pitching. If not, it's Cabrera or bust. :)

And yeah, I have to follow the Dodgers now to see how they do. Guess I'll keep in contact with you more often med, to see how things go.

Unfortunately, they're ALL under contract still. Giambi is still owed 21 mil!! And for Pinch Hits! HA! I REALLY REALLY hope the Yanks have learned from their mistakes. If we can get Lowell through free agency, that could leave "touchable" prospects for hopefully some good pitching. If not, it's Cabrera or bust. :)

And yeah, I have to follow the Dodgers now to see how they do. Guess I'll keep in contact with you more often med, to see how things go.

no problem Caniac.. glad you have you as at least a casual fan :)

I hope the Dodgers do more than just Torre. they have lots of holes still and cant hit

worth a damnn... we shall see what transpires but I hope they make a play for Tori

Hunter... it would def help IMO

I can't wait for Lowell to sign. We get everyone back next year and hopefully if Hinske is gone then we're gonna have a better bench if someone good can replace Hinske....Kapler is coming back, why not?

Now with Schill coming back we have a strong 5 or even 6 man rotation. I think we will see Buchollz start the season in the minors and then eventually Wake will be moved to the pen unless Schill gets hurt.

Beckett is the ace, Dice is going to be much improved, Lester showed he was getting his control back in September, Buchollz can be a stud in the making, Schill showed the new type of pitcher he can be from his postseason performance and Wake can at least give you some solid inning and comes real cheap. ;)

I agree with it all except Wakefield.. I think he should retire. He is injured and to me

very inconsistent last year.

heck I slamed Dice K and I was wrong or at least somewhat wrong

Hope he gets better but still holding my breath when he pitches :lol:

Let the games begin. First move of the offseason goes to Philly and Houston :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3099599

And Cashmoney and the Steinnys have said that the Trifecta are not being traded away for position players, like Miguel Cabrera. Which, to me, means he would trade them for a starting pitcher. Lowell will prolly resign with Boston. Yanks will prolly get Crede, Engsberg, or stay with Betemit.

He hasn't resigned yet. But, I'm content with Betemit. We won't be giving up any prospects for him. I don't care about major power, it would be a nice addition, but not my major concern. My major concern is pitching. We need quality pitching. Our Trifecta is great. 3 young arms with potential #1-#2, and and a middle rotation guy. But we need bullpen help. I've been reading up on some Asian influence on some pitchers. I think if we can land some of the better pitchers, it would help the pen immensely.

Fresh faces, a new breath of fresh air, some new arms.

He hasn't resigned yet. But, I'm content with Betemit. We won't be giving up any prospects for him. I don't care about major power, it would be a nice addition, but not my major concern. My major concern is pitching. We need quality pitching. Our Trifecta is great. 3 young arms with potential #1-#2, and and a middle rotation guy. But we need bullpen help. I've been reading up on some Asian influence on some pitchers. I think if we can land some of the better pitchers, it would help the pen immensely.

Fresh faces, a new breath of fresh air, some new arms.

Good luck with Betemit :blink: he was kinda sucky for LA

Maybe with more help around him he does better in NY

I dont know though...

I think the kids will do fine like Jobba and Hughes.

From a Dodger/Sox fan good luck as I think you will be back

Med always respects history

the only MLB team i really cant stand is the one with

Halloween Colors and even they wont be so bad

without Mr. steroid coming back

Lead story on BostonDirtDogs.com:

The Wave of Support for Re-Signing Mike Lowell

Has Reached Tsunami Levels in Boston;

They'll Be No Rest in the Nation Until

Mike Likes Theo's Next Offer

Mike Lowellgate....3 days till the Nov 12th deadline.

3 year offer on the table for somewhere between $12-15 million....c'mon Mike....sign!!!!!!

The good news is that he's not a Scott Boras client, thankfully.

3 year offer on the table for somewhere between $12-15 million....c'mon Mike....sign!!!!!!

Here is another article top to support this from the Bostonherald.

Also as A Dodger fan I would take Cabrerra if he can stop eating :lol: jk

they need any offense they can. Lets give Torre something, yes?

Now with the Sox, I hope Lowell signs.. and please no A Fraud here or LAD

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1043594' target="_blank">http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...ticleid=1043594[/post]

ORLANDO, Fla. - The Red Sox [team stats] made what one club source yesterday called a

Good read, thanks Medford. Non-Redsox fans are trying to compare Lowellgate to the Johnny Damon deal(which incidently, as unpopular at the time as it was, turned out to be the right deal). I don't see the comparison past the fact they were both fan favorite veteran players in a contract year. With Damon there was a more selfish ego involved and although he was a big part of the club house, his departure didn't mess with the chestry at all. Lowell is not that type of player and quietly goes about his business without any fanfare, up until now at least, LOL. His departure would be tough on all the players and there's always the chance that maybe the Red Sox were what was good for Mike too.

I think they're very close now and if Theo ups the money per year for three years to make it close to what to what other clubs may offer him for four, they'll sign him by Monday. They can always add in some incentives like a team option for a fourth if he meets some of these incentives in the third year to make him more comfortable signing. Heck, if they add in a weight claus for Schilling, certainly they could come up with something for mike.

I love that Boston teams are known for not falling so much in love with their players and know when to cut ties when the money gets too demanding. Mike Lowell is not one of these situations and I think they do recognize that.

In other news: Arod should go to the Giants IMO. They have the money, they need a big name to relace Bonds and Arod's ego can grow even larger out there. The fans will welcome him and worship his play since it will be a big upgrade from Barry.

Good read, thanks Medford. Non-Redsox fans are trying to compare Lowellgate to the Johnny Damon deal(which incidently, as unpopular at the time as it was, turned out to be the right deal). I don't see the comparison past the fact they were both fan favorite veteran players in a contract year. With Damon there was a more selfish ego involved and although he was a big part of the club house, his departure didn't mess with the chestry at all. Lowell is not that type of player and quietly goes about his business without any fanfare, up until now at least, LOL. His departure would be tough on all the players and there's always the chance that maybe the Red Sox were what was good for Mike too.

I think they're very close now and if Theo ups the money per year for three years to make it close to what to what other clubs may offer him for four, they'll sign him by Monday. They can always add in some incentives like a team option for a fourth if he meets some of these incentives in the third year to make him more comfortable signing. Heck, if they add in a weight claus for Schilling, certainly they could come up with something for mike.

I love that Boston teams are known for not falling so much in love with their players and know when to cut ties when the money gets too demanding. Mike Lowell is not one of these situations and I think they do recognize that.

In other news: Arod should go to the Giants IMO. They have the money, they need a big name to relace Bonds and Arod's ego can grow even larger out there. The fans will welcome him and worship his play since it will be a big upgrade from Barry.

Damn and I can hate him even more wearing his Halloween Colors :P

Hey Medford, you're our 1000th post in this thread. Too bad it doesn't get you anything :P

Hey Medford, you're our 1000th post in this thread. Too bad it doesn't get you anything :P

I think Betemit would do ok here. He could prolly hit around 20 HR's, drive in 70 RBI's or so. Not a lot of pop, but who know, with everyday playing time, it could really help. I would take Miggy, but he would need to slim down and not for o much youth. Now, I would trade Phil Hughes and Melky for Johan. You have to trade talent to get talent.

NY Post has said that Cashmoney is NOT going to trade Joba, Hughes, and Kennedy. I think it's the right move. They'll be here for a few more years, at LEAST for a while. Only way I see Hughes and/or Kennedy leaving is for Santana. Miggy Cabrera we aren't getting because of how much they want. Miguel Tejada might be moved with other prospects. No, the Trifecta stay, or they're moved because of Johan.

Still gotta keep tabs on the Dodgers though. :P

Personally I don't see Santana going anywhere. The Twins will NEVER get anyone worth it. I say they go after a WS this year and then let Santana go at the end of '08 for draft picks.

Did anyone see Tripp and Forslund smash A-Rod at the end of the broadcast tonight when talking to Cam? HILARIOUS!!

Personally I don't see Santana going anywhere. The Twins will NEVER get anyone worth it. I say they go after a WS this year and then let Santana go at the end of '08 for draft picks.

Did anyone see Tripp and Forslund smash A-Rod at the end of the broadcast tonight when talking to Cam? HILARIOUS!!

Hehehe, I did ;)

Hehehe, I did ;)

NESN just reported that Dustin Pedroia played the final two months of the season with a broken bone in his wrist. He just had surgery on it. :o

They are also reporting that ARod may be heading to the Dodgers. Watch out Medford....... ;)

NESN just reported that Dustin Pedroia played the final two months of the season with a broken bone in his wrist. He just had surgery on it. :o

They are also reporting that ARod may be heading to the Dodgers. Watch out Medford....... ;)

Since the Twins aren't even trying to resign Hunter you'd think there would be money left over for Santana. Too bad their own just never spends on anyone. Hard to see them trading him, but their FO has a good track record of acquiring and developing prospects, Joe Nathan and Liriano being examples.

Saw the interview with Cam, that was pretty good. Though it bothers me he's a Yankee fan, I'll look the other way on it as long he keeps stopping pucks.

But letting Santana walk away to free agency and "hope" to get get 2 prospects? No way, they're going to trade him for some grade A beef. If it was the Yanks, trade Melky, and Phil Hughes. I love Hughes, but he's the best starter of the 3. He's shown he can pitch games for more than just a few innings. I know Joba is clutch, but I haven't seen him in more then 2 innings of work, ya, know?

Boston, they've got some prospects as well, but I don't see them trading their top tier prospects just to get Santana. They don't need Santana. Becket, DiceK, Schil, Lester, Buchholz, Schilling. Plus Oki and Paps with some middle relief guys?!? Are you kidding??

Yanks have Moose, Wang (who showed he can't be a dependable Ace) Joba, Ian, and Hughes. Then, we have... Bruney, Farnsworth, and Britton. Plus some new kids. Who needs Santana more, and who's likely to offer more prospects?

I want Wang, Moose, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy as our 2008 rotation. Let the kids get the experience they need, and if they're in the race, then so be it. But I don't wanna throw away top talent for possibly a 1 year rental.