The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

But letting Santana walk away to free agency and "hope" to get get 2 prospects? No way, they're going to trade him for some grade A beef. ...

Most likely true but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait till the deadline to do so for multiple reasons. First off they could have a great first half and that would make him easier to sign, remember he complained last year about how the Twins never spend enough money to be a real contender. Secondly they could wait to try and get someone who is desperate to add pitching and could overpay.

Most likely true but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait till the deadline to do so for multiple reasons. First off they could have a great first half and that would make him easier to sign, remember he complained last year about how the Twins never spend enough money to be a real contender. Secondly they could wait to try and get someone who is desperate to add pitching and could overpay.

True... but,

Right now, he's good. Filthy good. Teams are in dire need of pitching (Yanks, Mets, etc).. so, they want that #1 Ace on opening day drawing fans and winning Cy Youngs, etc etc... Twins won't be able to resign him. They've tried, twice, and he didn't want any part. Maybe he was hurt Luis Castillo was traded, or whatever, but I doubt that he's going to be with Minny on Opening Day. I hope 2 things don't happen though.

1. The Yankees don't trade for him. I would love to have Johan here, love love love love it. But not at the expense of our Rookies/Prospects. Especially now that the Twins are asking for one of the best up and coming 2nd baseman in baseball, Robby Cano? (No, I'm not dissing Pedroia, I said One of the best)

2. I hope nobody else in the Division gets Santana. Especially BoSox Nation.

Beckett

Santana

DiceK

Wake

Schil

Lester

?!?! (Probably a trade of Buchholz/Ellsbury/Pedroia would get it done, if they were willing to part ways)

Twins have the advantage right now. Either they sit with him, offering him deals and hope they make it to the playoffs, or they trade him away for top tier prospects.

Dustin Pedroia wins "Rookie of the Year Award" and the Red Sox are considering a six man rotation.

Lowellgate= 9 1/2 hours left till the deadline *getting a little antsy*

Dustin Pedroia wins "Rookie of the Year Award" and the Red Sox are considering a six man rotation.

Sabathia wins the AL Cy Young. I'm not surprised he won and he's certainly deserving, but I am surprised he won by such a decisive margin (119 pts compared to Beckett's 86).

If Mike Lowell leaves for 4 years, what can you do.

the Sox are smarter than they used to be.

Remember when Pedro left and by the end of his

contract he was in trouble.

I love Mike Lowell, but not for 4 years. IMHO.

Lowell will be 38 by the end of 4 years and could be on the

decline, Just my take

I'm disappointed that Beckett didn't get the Cy Young but Sabbathia was good during the regualr season, and besides, I'd much rather have that World Series ring if I was Beckett ;)

I still have faith that Theo will sign Lowell. I don't blame him for wanting to see what his value on the open market is, and I hope he takes that number back to Theo and they can work something out. I agree with you Medford, 4 years is a big committment to a player his age, even Mike Lowell. Maybe they'll agree to a 3 year deal worth more money per year? He has be worth at least what they're paying JD Drew.

Keepin' the faith that Mike will realize what so many players do after chasing the almighty dollar....there's no place like home.

I'm disappointed that Beckett didn't get the Cy Young but Sabbathia was good during the regualr season, and besides, I'd much rather have that World Series ring if I was Beckett ;)

I still have faith that Theo will sign Lowell. I don't blame him for wanting to see what his value on the open market is, and I hope he takes that number back to Theo and they can work something out. I agree with you Medford, 4 years is a big committment to a player his age, even Mike Lowell. Maybe they'll agree to a 3 year deal worth more money per year? He has be worth at least what they're paying JD Drew.

Keepin' the faith that Mike will realize what so many players do after chasing the almighty dollar....there's no place like home.

I think Lowell will still be back because he really seems like a class act. Lowell doesn't seem to want the money as much, but I really think he wants that 4th year. Pedro did the same kind of thing, he knew he was getting older and that extra year was something that really meant something to him.

Sabathia should've won the Cy, but not with as high a margin as he did.

I agree, there are only so many Greedy Arods out there. :P

I love the Dodgers and Sox but do not want any part of him.

Its not about stats, its about showing class and winning..........

A Rod does not know how to be a winner and wherever he goes

he has always brought his team down when counted on most.

and he is a greedy SOB to me.. $32 million to start, what a joke

he will make more than the Royals/Devil Rays whole payroll, which is sad

John Sterling is reporting that ARod is about to sign a deal with the Yankees w/out Scott Boras involved. Maybe even Arod realized the PR nightmare he was becoming to the rest to the of the league? Or maybe no other team was willing to A) shell out $30+ million and B)invest 10 years in player that hasn't delivered any championships yet.

John Sterling is reporting that ARod is about to sign a deal with the Yankees w/out Scott Boras involved. Maybe even Arod realized the PR nightmare he was becoming to the rest to the of the league? Or maybe no other team was willing to A) shell out $30+ million and B)invest 10 years in player that hasn't delivered any championships yet.

awesome news. stay away from my Dodgers and Sox A fraud :P

and topshelf I stil have mixed emotions over Lowell if he leaves. I understand the business

decision but its hard to replace 117 RBI and impeccable defense if he does go.

hope he stays but understand this is a business always. That is why the Sox

actually have a farm system now, unlike the Duquette years.

and topshelf I stil have mixed emotions over Lowell if he leaves. I understand the business

Yeah, I agree its a tough call. Theo always seems to make the right choice for the team but this one would be tough to swallow if he leaves. If the 4th year is the sticking point, I'd give it to him knowing that I had a prospect ready to come up and maybe split duty for that last year. That way, if Mike's numbers are starting to come down, the younger guy can ease his way into the position like Dustin Pedroia did.

*texting Theo the idea*

Yeah, I agree its a tough call. Theo always seems to make the right choice for the team but this one would be tough to swallow if he leaves. If the 4th year is the sticking point, I'd give it to him knowing that I had a prospect ready to come up and maybe split duty for that last year. That way, if Mike's numbers are starting to come down, the younger guy can ease his way into the position like Dustin Pedroia did.

*texting Theo the idea*

Great. Arod and Yanks are "close" to reaching a deal.

*smacks head against desk*

Arods stats and numbers are good.... in the regular season. Post season? Not so good. His socialization skills need a huge upgrade there with the locker room, and someone needs to deflate him ... and not just a bit. A lot. But maybe saying "No one else wants to gimme 32 mil, I'm sorry, can I come back for ONLY 28?" will do that. :P

Ugh....4 teams have offered Mike Lowell a 4-year deal:

BOSTON -- 7Sports has learned that Mike Lowell has received contract offers from four separate MLB teams: the Braves, Angels, Cardinals, and Yankees.

A source close to the Lowell side of the negotiations tells 7Sports that each offer is a 4-year contract, worth between $55-60 million. The Yankees offer includes a request that Lowell play First Base, something the Gold-Glove-winning third baseman does not want to do. The Red Sox have previously offered Lowell a 3-year contract worth $36 million. Lowell is now waiting to see if the Red Sox will up their initial offer and try to keep him in Boston, in lieu of these newest offers from the four previously mentioned teams.

And in Arod news:

RODRIGUEZ HEARD VOICES OF FANS

By MIKE VACCARO

November 15, 2007 -- YOU the fans stood up here. Understand that. Believe that. You were heard here. Understand that. Believe that. You weren't alone. There were other serendipitous circumstances. But that's OK. That's fine. All you hear, relentlessly, is that the fan's voice doesn't matter, that it's ignored, that it's irrelevant in our sporting world.

Mostly, that's true.

Just not this time. Alex Rodriguez heard you. He felt your wrath. He absorbed your scorn. If negotiations with the Yankees head where it appears they're heading - with Rodriguez returning, with the Yankees scoring a major coup against Scott Boras, bringing A-Rod back on their terms - then you are allowed a moment to stand up and take a bow.

Because you helped make it happen. Understand that. Believe that.

The Angels helped out, and the Dodgers and the Mets and every other would-be big-market fish who either laughed at or tuned out the figures Boras was floating about in the past few weeks, numbers that passed $300 million and roared toward $350 million. No one was willing to play poker with Boras, and that is surely the biggest reason A-Rod sought out the Steinbrenner family, with his interlocking-NY hat placed firmly in his hand.

If someone had paid him, he would have let his ears burn forever.

But make no mistake, those ears were burning. Sources familiar with Rodriguez's thinking say he was stunned at the ugly backlash that greeted the news he was opting out of the final three years of his Yankees contract; that greeted the piggish timing of that announcement, which came via Boras during Game 4 of the World Series, overshadowing the very showcase of the very game that has made A-Rod rich beyond his or anyone else's wildest dreams.

In a sporting soundtrack that often is so fractured, often so splintered with a thousand different opinions and a thousand different voices, the take on that was virtually universal and virtually unanimous. This wasn't just angry newspaper columnists burning up their laptop keyboards, and it wasn't just furious talk-radio patrons blazing airwaves, and it wasn't just agitated bloggers filling cyberspace with million-word screeds.

This was fans like Joe Luna, 76 years old and retired to Boca Raton, Fla., who e-mailed me the day after the opt-out and said simply, yet elegantly,

Ugh....4 teams have offered Mike Lowell a 4-year deal:

BOSTON -- 7Sports has learned that Mike Lowell has received contract offers from four separate MLB teams: the Braves, Angels, Cardinals, and Yankees.

A source close to the Lowell side of the negotiations tells 7Sports that each offer is a 4-year contract, worth between $55-60 million. The Yankees offer includes a request that Lowell play First Base, something the Gold-Glove-winning third baseman does not want to do. The Red Sox have previously offered Lowell a 3-year contract worth $36 million. Lowell is now waiting to see if the Red Sox will up their initial offer and try to keep him in Boston, in lieu of these newest offers from the four previously mentioned teams.

And in Arod news:

RODRIGUEZ HEARD VOICES OF FANS

By MIKE VACCARO

November 15, 2007 -- YOU the fans stood up here. Understand that. Believe that. You were heard here. Understand that. Believe that. You weren't alone. There were other serendipitous circumstances. But that's OK. That's fine. All you hear, relentlessly, is that the fan's voice doesn't matter, that it's ignored, that it's irrelevant in our sporting world.

Mostly, that's true.

Just not this time. Alex Rodriguez heard you. He felt your wrath. He absorbed your scorn. If negotiations with the Yankees head where it appears they're heading - with Rodriguez returning, with the Yankees scoring a major coup against Scott Boras, bringing A-Rod back on their terms - then you are allowed a moment to stand up and take a bow.

Because you helped make it happen. Understand that. Believe that.

The Angels helped out, and the Dodgers and the Mets and every other would-be big-market fish who either laughed at or tuned out the figures Boras was floating about in the past few weeks, numbers that passed $300 million and roared toward $350 million. No one was willing to play poker with Boras, and that is surely the biggest reason A-Rod sought out the Steinbrenner family, with his interlocking-NY hat placed firmly in his hand.

If someone had paid him, he would have let his ears burn forever.

But make no mistake, those ears were burning. Sources familiar with Rodriguez's thinking say he was stunned at the ugly backlash that greeted the news he was opting out of the final three years of his Yankees contract; that greeted the piggish timing of that announcement, which came via Boras during Game 4 of the World Series, overshadowing the very showcase of the very game that has made A-Rod rich beyond his or anyone else's wildest dreams.

In a sporting soundtrack that often is so fractured, often so splintered with a thousand different opinions and a thousand different voices, the take on that was virtually universal and virtually unanimous. This wasn't just angry newspaper columnists burning up their laptop keyboards, and it wasn't just furious talk-radio patrons blazing airwaves, and it wasn't just agitated bloggers filling cyberspace with million-word screeds.

This was fans like Joe Luna, 76 years old and retired to Boca Raton, Fla., who e-mailed me the day after the opt-out and said simply, yet elegantly,

A-Rod, Yankees have outline of 10-year, $275M dealNov. 15, 2007

CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed to the outline of a $275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that potentially would allow him to earn millions more if he sets the career home-run record.

The amount of the guaranteed money was revealed by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized.

A-Rod met Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., with the Steinbrenner brothers but the parameters of the deal were set in place last weekend.

"Yeah, I could say that," Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said. "The meeting was a final get-together. He wanted to make sure myself and my brother knew that he was sincere and serious."

The Yankees still must draft the agreement with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras.

AP NEWS

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed to the outline of a $275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that potentially would allow him to earn millions more if he sets the career home-run record.

The amount of the guaranteed money was revealed by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized.

A-Rod met Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., with the Steinbrenner brothers but the parameters of the deal were set in place last weekend.

"Yeah, I could say that," Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said. "The meeting was a final get-together. He wanted to make sure myself and my brother knew that he was sincere and serious."

AP NEWS

AP NEWS

still a greedy sob to me and will always be.

I hope next year he hits 11 Hr 55 rbi and a 234 avg. :lol:

Had to pass this along:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/tampa_bay_devil_rays_change' target="_blank">The Onion: Devil Rays Change Name, Uniforms, Sports[/post]

So does this mean they're going to be good at diving too? Or at least accusing the Red Sox of diving? :P

I'm actually pretty happy about the Arod deal. That leaves one less team interested in Lowell, and its really no fun hating the Yankees without Arod :lol: .

Had to pass this along:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/tampa_bay_devil_rays_change' target="_blank">The Onion: Devil Rays Change Name, Uniforms, Sports[/post]

So does this mean they're going to be good at diving too? Or at least accusing the Red Sox of diving? :P

I'm actually pretty happy about the Arod deal. That leaves one less team interested in Lowell, and its really no fun hating the Yankees without Arod :lol: .

ugh, im so depressed my d-rays are changing, c'mon how is a sun ray going to be intimidating?? at least before we could say that steve irwin ain't got anything on us....ok thats bad, i know im going to hell. but not as bad as the sunshine team.