The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

I absolutely agree as well. No sense of trading the farm for Johan.. Yankees don't NEED Johan, regardless of what others might say. Wang had a couple of bad starts, especially in the post season, and that's not good... but maybe it can be worked on. I'm fine with the rotation of Wang, Mussina, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy. Mussina I'd like in the bullpen now, and try giving someone else a chance like Horne, Humberto Sanchez, heck, even Igawa again if he could control his pitches. I'd love Johan, but to what expense, I don't know.

Interesting debate going on at one of the Sox boards I go to about Ellsbury, what kind of player he can be, and what would we really be giving up. I think I can sum it up as such: The comp you hear for him most often in the media is Johnny Damon, but Kenny Lofton is probably a better one. Damon has/had more power, while Ellsbury has a similar skill set to Lofton and both broke into the majors at a similar age (Ellsbury will be 24 by opening day). There is some thought Ellsbury could someday develop 10-15 hr power, but his speed and batting eye will always be his strengths. There's little doubt he'll be an everyday CFer, but it's too soon to declare him a star. Interestingly, the majority opinion there was that Ellsbury isn't good enough that he should be the reason to stop a trade for Santana.

I said earlier we don't want to fall into the trap of overrating our own prospects. At the same time, you don't want to fall into the other trap where, as soon as a prospect gets traded, you start harping on his flaws (we could call this "Jack Johnson Syndrome"). Would you do a package of Ellsbury plus one of Lester, Bowden, or Masterson? I certainly wouldn't do any more than that. I see it as roughly the equivalent of the Hanley/Anibal Sanchez package. As was said earlier, the Sox don't need Santana, and thus shouldn't be willing to pay out the wazoo for him.

My dad and I had this discussion today and both of us would not give up Ellsbury in a package to get Santana

They need a bullpen guy not a starter. The won the World Series last year and did not have the full benefit

of what Bucholtz can be and Lester who I think can be a number 2.

I have heart comparisons to Grady Sizemore of the Indians. He is going to get bigger and should have more power

as he gets older. Remember if you look at Damons lifetime stats, he was far from a power hitter in his formal Years with KC. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5484/c...FPPavsmCsiFCLcF[/post]

It was not until Damons 3rd full season before he hit with pop. I think Ellsbury can be a 300 type hitter, playing great defesne and stealing 30 bases. I love speed and the Sox should keep him at the top of the order

Santana has thrown a lot of innings well over 200 the last 4 seasons. I would rather develop the kids and not mortgage the future. just a small dot from Bostons take. Its not always the biggest names, if that were the case NY would win every year and since they have lost their gritty playets. Oneill, Broscious (sp) and even Jim Leyritz they have not won it all.

Santanas for reference

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6441/c...FPPavsmCsiFCLcF

He'd be one heck of a trade deadline aquisition, of course, so to was Gagne :rolleyes:

Hey be nice to Eric Gagne, Sox fans do not remember the real Gagne that was

better than Papelbon when healthy in LA in 2002-2004

jk btw I understand he SUCKED here, he will be good in a place like KC with

no pressure and probably get 45 saves :lol:

Report: Red Sox kick the tires on Sheets

From the Providence Journal's Sean McAdam: "Indications surfaced that the Sox have also had discussions with the Milwaukee Brewers regarding Ben Sheets. Sheets, 29, was 12-5 with a 3.82 ERA for the Brewers last year and has won in double figures in six of his seven seasons in the big leagues, but due to injuries hasn't made more than 24 starts in any of the last three seasons."

Save the kids....this guy sounds pretty good and won't cost us our future.

In Yankee news, Andy Pettitte is returning to the Yanks.

From the Providence Journal's Sean McAdam: "Indications surfaced that the Sox have also had discussions with the Milwaukee Brewers regarding Ben Sheets. Sheets, 29, was 12-5 with a 3.82 ERA for the Brewers last year and has won in double figures in six of his seven seasons in the big leagues, but due to injuries hasn't made more than 24 starts in any of the last three seasons."

I'd list Sheets up there with Pavano. Lots of promise, showed great stuff, but was too injured. If its for a good cheap price, go for it. No major jewels like our top 3 or Buchholz/Lester/Ellsbury.

Sheets would be an amazing pickup

he's got injury problems, but so did Beckett when the Sox got him and look how that ended up...

Sox/Twins may be getting close? Steinbrenner's ultimatum loses water again?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/12/04/sox_twins_may_be_close/' target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...s_may_be_close/[/post]

And for your entertainment pleasure...."The Francona Rule":(you can't make this stuff up)

“There’s going to be, for lack of a better term, a ‘Francona Rule,’” said Bob Watson, Major League Baseball’s Vice President of Rules and On-Field Operations. “You can only wear your uniform top or jacket. You can’t wear your night-shirt, or whatever it is. You can wear it before games, or after games, but not during games. You have to have your uniform top at all times.”

I don't get the big deal about baseball managers and uniforms. To me this is the stupidest things about baseball, the managers and coaches don't need uniforms and numbers, let them wear what they want. Can you imagine if other sports did this? It would look ridiculous, though I think I might pay to see someone like Bobby Knight have to wear a uniform for the comedy of it. Personally I'd rather see them in suits, polo shirts, or just about anything would be more flattering than seeing guys like Lou Pinella stuffed into a uniform.

I say no to this deal. Santana wasn't even that spectacular last season and you'd have to pay him a long term deal where he gets 25 million per?? No way. Also Lester, Lowrie and Masterson all have amazing potential and we need a new SS (something Lowrie can be) with Lugo's horrid season. Masterson is the top pitching prospect behind Buchholz and Lester and Lester was rebounding into form late last year.

I don't want the Sox to go out and spend big money on guys like the Yanks did/do. I want us to build from the ground up with talent from the farm and fill the holes with FAs and trades. I just want to see the bench and BP altered a bit, but otherwise stand pat Theo.

If the Yanks stay to their word, I'm glad Hughes is off the table. Hughes = Future Ace. No if's about it anymore, I think he's the club future ace. Add him with Joba, great 1-2 punch with Wang/Kennedy AND Pettitte (woo hoo!) Plus Moose for long relief innings/spare starts. Help the Bullpen though.. we need relief help.

Im getting feeling that if it hasn't been done by now, he's staying in MN. And that would be fine, its a win-win for the Sox.

Anyone know what the deal with Brendan Donnelly is? Is he still under contract and will be ready for the new season?

Im getting feeling that if it hasn't been done by now, he's staying in MN. And that would be fine, its a win-win for the Sox.

Anyone know what the deal with Brendan Donnelly is? Is he still under contract and will be ready for the new season?

Read on mlbtraderumors that Twins, Mets and A's might be involved in a deal.

"Mets send Jose Reyes, Kevin Mulvey, and Hector Pellot to A's

A's send Bobby Crosby and Dan Johnson to Mets

A's send Dan Haren to Twins

Twins send Johan Santana to Mets

Mets get Johan Santana, Bobby Crosby and Dan Johnson

A's get Jose Reyes and Kevin Mulvey

Twins get Dan Haren and Hector Pellot

"

While I think it's unlikely, that would be friggin awesome in my book. Johan is outta the AL away from the Sox (although I would like him with us, just not with his price tag and the giving up of prospects.), Haren gets moved around... yadda yadda yadda..

I wish more trades would go down like that.

Nice post TSA. As a person, I love Schil. A believer in Christ and God, loves his family, puts things into perspective... as a ball player, I hate the schmuck. Stupid sock. :P

I know Curt Schilling is a bit of a blow hard and for the most part, talks too much, but.... this is a really interesting exerpt from his blog. It gives a good perspective about all the impending trade talks going on from a players point of view. He's a bit wordy but the message is good.

http://38pitches.com/2007/12/04/want-to-know-what-a-player-thinks-about-trades-like-this/' target="_blank">http://38pitches.com/2007/12/04/want-to-kn...ades-like-this/[/post]

Hahaha, as a Yankee fan?

I know Curt Schilling is a bit of a blow hard and for the most part, talks too much, but.... this is a really interesting exerpt from his blog. It gives a good perspective about all the impending trade talks going on from a players point of view. He's a bit wordy but the message is good.

http://38pitches.com/2007/12/04/want-to-know-what-a-player-thinks-about-trades-like-this/' target="_blank">http://38pitches.com/2007/12/04/want-to-kn...ades-like-this/[/post]

Hahaha, as a Yankee fan?

Last I heard, Minny was mulling over whether they wanted Ellsbury or Lester... they liked what they saw in Lester's physical, but they needed to weigh their options.

Gut feeling says they end up going with the Lester-Crisp-throw in-throw in trade... they get a very good pitching prospect who may one day be their ace, someone to fill the hole left by Hunter, and a couple other prospects who probably will develop into everyday players. If they re-sign Santana, they take his contract on for one year, then they let him go without getting anything in return next year.

Med is happy B)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...ruw/index.html#

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- All-Star center fielder Andruw Jones and the Los Angeles Dodgers reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a two-year, $36.2 million contract, SI.com has confirmed.

Jones, the former Atlanta star who has won 10 straight Gold Gloves, must pass a physical for the agreement to be completed, a person familiar with the negotiations said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Jones will receive a $12.2 million signing bonus, of which $5.1 million is payable next year, $2.1 million in 2009 and $5 million in 2010. He well get salaries of $9 million next year and $15 million in 2009, and also will receive a no-trade clause.

Jones' average annual salary of $18.1 million is fifth-highest in major league history. Only Roger Clemens ($28 million average), Alex Rodriguez ($25.2 million), Manny Ramirez ($20 million) and Derek Jeter ($18.9 million) have been paid more per season.

His agreement with the Dodgers was first reported by the Los Angeles Times on its Web site.

Scott Boras, his agent, wouldn't confirm the agreement but sounded as if a deal had fallen into place.

"Being on a competitive team was a very, very important part of his process," he said.

The Dodgers are expected to move Juan Pierre to left field, leaving Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier for right. The surplus of outfielders could make either Kemp or Ethier expendable.

Jones hit .222 this season, his lowest average since he batted .217 in 106 at-bats as a rookie in 1996. His 26 home runs were his fewest since 1997.

Had Jones finished with big numbers, he likely would have sought a longer-term agreement. Boras said there were really only two options when it came to length.

"Very, very long-term or very, very short term," he said. "Nothing in between."

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

The Associated Press contributed to this report