The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Not bad. I wonder how much Aaron Roward will cost... hmm..

In other news, Giants and Yanks are talking about Matsui. I love Godzilla, but if he (along with some second tier prospects or others) could nab us Linecum or Cain, I'd be happy with it. Matsui with the Giants = New Bonds minus the roids. He'd be a total marketing machine.... We'll see how Cashmoney can work something out.

BTW, Glad the Yanks didn't trade Hughes for Santana. Santa's great, prolly the best lefty in the biz right now, but Hughes will probably be one of the best righties in a while. Good job with sticking to the future, and not just blowing their wads of youngsters now.

And after Florida got 6 players for Cabrera (I know they traded Willis, but he wasn't in top shape there anyway, and they didn't enjoy paying him that much to be that ok.), I'm sure MInny will want more than what was offered before. I say he stays until free agency. I'm wrong, hey, whatever, but my $.02

Anybody following Bostondirtdogs.com with the Santana updates?

There's been quite a bit of "questionable PR" directed at Ellsbury lately. Its no secret how popular he became during the season and especially in the playoffs but Im starting the wonder if all the bad press has been part of a plan to ease into the fact that he is going to be traded to MN as part of the Santana deal. I know it seems a bit conspiracy-theoryish but this guy has gone from icon to defendant in the Boston media in a pretty quickly.

My new favorite picture of Ellsbury and Darth Boras:

BDD_ellsbury_darkside_12.7.jpg

There's been quite a bit of "questionable PR" directed at Ellsbury lately. Its no secret how popular he became during the season and especially in the playoffs but Im starting the wonder if all the bad press has been part of a plan to ease into the fact that he is going to be traded to MN as part of the Santana deal. I know it seems a bit conspiracy-theoryish but this guy has gone from icon to defendant in the Boston media in a pretty quickly.

LOL @ the pic. Not bad. I've heard the Ellsbury wasn't as great as a prospect as he's been hyped up to be... I don't know, since I don't follow. But I've read online at different news sites, sports blogs, yadda yadda... I wouldn't mind having Ells speed, Melky's arm, and Mannys bat all rolled into 1 player... can't think of anybody like that at the moment, but I'm sure it'll come to me. I'd be surprised if Johan left right now. After the Willis/Cabrera deal that went down, MInnys GM would be a fool not to ask more from BoSox and Yanks. WE'D BE FOOLS to trade some really good talent for 7 years of Santana, which he'll start declining. He's great. The best in the biz right now I think. But still possible Ace's and Gold Glove CF's for 1 player... that's still alot.

Young Steinbrenner has learned the fine art of "backpeddling". I guess the whole deadline thing doesn't really ever work out too well for him :rolleyes:

"As far as the door (to a Santana deal) being open, who knows? At this point, Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy, Cabrera and Cano, they're as close to untouchable as you get. "The only reason I made a point of a deadline on Santana was that I didn't want to get caught up in the circus of the winter meetings. The purpose of that deadline was trying to get something done before the winter meetings."

In other news, looks like Gagne is heading to Milwaukee. Maybe he'll have better luck there and regain some of the success he saw in his Dodgers years. I won't lie and say I'm not relieved he wont be wearing red this season.

Young Steinbrenner has learned the fine art of "backpeddling". I guess the whole deadline thing doesn't really ever work out too well for him :rolleyes:

"As far as the door (to a Santana deal) being open, who knows? At this point, Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy, Cabrera and Cano, they're as close to untouchable as you get. "The only reason I made a point of a deadline on Santana was that I didn't want to get caught up in the circus of the winter meetings. The purpose of that deadline was trying to get something done before the winter meetings."

In other news, looks like Gagne is heading to Milwaukee. Maybe he'll have better luck there and regain some of the success he saw in his Dodgers years. I won't lie and say I'm not relieved he wont be wearing red this season.

I'm very apathetic to the whole Santana thing right now

If the Sox get him, great... they have quite possibly the best rotation in baseball history for the next few years and they'll still have a loaded bullpen and a ridiculous lineup

If the Sox don't get him, thats great as well... We just won the title with a team thats only going to mature and be better next year. The rotation is still very strong with a few prospects that should be looking to take over spots in the rotation in the coming years. The bullpen will still be loaded, and the lineup will easily be the most productive in the AL, possibly the majors depending on the Phillies and their offseason.

Either way, I like the Sox to repeat next year. Especially now that Gagne is gone and Tavarez is asking to be traded

2008 is a iffy for the Yanks. If the Kid Row (Joba, Phil, and Ian) can pitch around 125-150 innings (Ian for around 175 or so), good. We have plenty of young arms for the bullpen. With our new coaches and managers, great.. Giriadi will give the young guys a chance, and not always "trust/overload" the vets in this. 2009 should be an awesome year IF we keep most of our prospects and shed Pavano, Abreu, Moose, Farnsworth, etc...

2008 is a iffy for the Yanks. If the Kid Row (Joba, Phil, and Ian) can pitch around 125-150 innings (Ian for around 175 or so), good. We have plenty of young arms for the bullpen. With our new coaches and managers, great.. Giriadi will give the young guys a chance, and not always "trust/overload" the vets in this. 2009 should be an awesome year IF we keep most of our prospects and shed Pavano, Abreu, Moose, Farnsworth, etc...

I think those are reasonable expectations. The Yankees are always fine in the end.

As for the Santana deal, if somehow this gets done for the Sox, I just want it noted that I called it because I still think its going to happen. :P

I think those are reasonable expectations. The Yankees are always fine in the end.

As for the Santana deal, if somehow this gets done for the Sox, I just want it noted that I called it because I still think its going to happen. :P

Question for the Sox Fans, Say if you get Santana that leaves you Beckett, Dice K, Curt, and Lester aka one of the best pitching staff's ever assembled. Where does that leave Wakefield? You can't have a knuckleballer in the bullpen and he's the odd man out in the pitching rotation.

Question for the Sox Fans, Say if you get Santana that leaves you Beckett, Dice K, Curt, and Lester aka one of the best pitching staff's ever assembled. Where does that leave Wakefield? You can't have a knuckleballer in the bullpen and he's the odd man out in the pitching rotation.

He would be in the bullpen. The others are so much better than Wake at this time of is career.

Also he might retire due to his bad back so dont be suprised if he hangs em up if he is not healthy in the Spring.

I think Santana stays. If he hasn't moved yet, he's prolly not moving until ST or In July. But will the Twinks get the same for him then, I don't know..

I would consider platooning him and Schilling seeing as they're both at the ends of their careers, are injury prone and will need more rest than the others. I'd love to see Wake out the pen cause mixing in that knuckleball between all that high speed talent would really throw the opposition off.

I would consider platooning him and Schilling seeing as they're both at the ends of their careers, are injury prone and will need more rest than the others. I'd love to see Wake out the pen cause mixing in that knuckleball between all that high speed talent would really throw the opposition off.

Tejada to the Astros.

The Mitchell report is due out tomorrow at 2:00pm...what drama.

Mitchell said today he will release his report tomorrow at 2 p.m., and it will be posted online at MLB.com shortly after that. Commissioner Bud Selig will hold his own news conference 2 1/2 hours after the one by Mitchell.

Tejada to the Astros.

The Mitchell report is due out tomorrow at 2:00pm...what drama.

Mitchell said today he will release his report tomorrow at 2 p.m., and it will be posted online at MLB.com shortly after that. Commissioner Bud Selig will hold his own news conference 2 1/2 hours after the one by Mitchell.

I care who's on it, but I don't. You know what I mean? I don't think it was a great move by Astros. Tejada can demand a trade after the 08 season and they depleted their farm. But My clubs not one to talk... so far so good, but let's see how long that last.

Ah, 'twas the night before... the Mitchell report.

So tomorrow could be a momentous day in baseball history or much ado about nothing. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Supposedly, many Yankees will be in it. *shrug* Still not stop rooting for the team.. the player might not be ethical enough to do it on his own, but I still love the Yankees. I wonder if anything will happen this time to supposed reported players?

Completely un-related to anything you guys are talking about, I was looking up some images on the web of some maps, and came across this, I don't care for baseball but found this as interesting:

UCOB-1280x960.jpg

only thing I see wrong is FL should have some Red Sox and Yankee territories from the transplants :lol:

Red Sox and Yankees should be sprinkled all the way across the country, they have fans everywhere.

Red Sox and Yankees should be sprinkled all the way across the country, they have fans everywhere.