The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Also, site question. Being Red Sox fans, how did you all feel when Nomar was traded in 2004? What were your intial reactions? Just something I wanted to know. Thanks.

Shocked, but not angry. Probably because of the way Nomar and the team handled it. Orlando Cabrerra had some really big shoes to fill and you could tell there was instant chemistry for him with the team. To this day, I have no idea why they never re-signed him. All Boston fans that I know still follow Nomar and wish him only the best in his career. Its good he's not where he could hurt us... yet ;) .

As a Boston sports fan, you have to be prepared to say good bye to a fan favorite once in a while cause teams aren't afraid to cut ties when they feel salaries or egos are out of control. I really think that has a lot to do with the recent successes of the Pats and Sox. The players know they're replaceable at any time if they complain or don't perform up to expectations. The players that are there usually really want to play for Belichik and Francona.

Though it didn't work out too well for the Bruins when they shipped Big Joe Thornton out , but that was just rediculous and the Bruins are a whole different animal in Boston due to ownership issues ;) . Hopefully now the Celtics will find their championship ways again after the big trade yesterday.

Except the Yanks made their bullpen thinner in exchange for a guy they don't need. While its true that teams like Detroit or Anaheim that did nothing could be viewed as losers, the Yanks could be the one team that actually made themselves worse.

Fair enough, Modelcitizen may be right about them just positioning themselves for next season with the whole ARod thing.

Also, site question. Being Red Sox fans, how did you all feel when Nomar was traded in 2004? What were your intial reactions? Just something I wanted to know. Thanks.

Shocked, but not angry. Probably because of the way Nomar and the team handled it. Orlando Cabrerra had some really big shoes to fill and you could tell there was instant chemistry for him with the team. To this day, I have no idea why they never re-signed him. All Boston fans that I know still follow Nomar and wish him only the best in his career. Its good he's not where he could hurt us... yet ;) .

As a Boston sports fan, you have to be prepared to say good bye to a fan favorite once in a while cause teams aren't afraid to cut ties when they feel salaries or egos are out of control. I really think that has a lot to do with the recent successes of the Pats and Sox. The players know they're replaceable at any time if they complain or don't perform up to expectations. The players that are there usually really want to play for Belichik and Francona.

Though it didn't work out too well for the Bruins when they shipped Big Joe Thornton out , but that was just rediculous and the Bruins are a whole different animal in Boston due to ownership issues ;) . Hopefully now the Celtics will find their championship ways again after the big trade yesterday.

Except the Yanks made their bullpen thinner in exchange for a guy they don't need. While its true that teams like Detroit or Anaheim that did nothing could be viewed as losers, the Yanks could be the one team that actually made themselves worse.

Fair enough, Modelcitizen may be right about them just positioning themselves for next season with the whole ARod thing.

I'm not expecting him back. I don't see where else he can go for the amount Boras is going to demand (at LEAST 30 mil per season, and even mentioning something like possible part ownership, *edit*?!?!). I would like to have Arod stay, but 2 reasons. How much he cost, and it's a gamble. I know he's been hot this year. But, the previous years have been like a rollercoaster. He does great during the regular season, but couldn't get it done in the post season. I'd like to see him stay. They get rid of Abreu, we have Giambi's contract for one more year as well.

If the Yankees can make it happen, and they're one of the only teams that can mind you, great. But no part ownership, and that will be the most outrageous contract in baseball.

I too still keep tabs on Nomar. I thought he was a pretty good player overall, and he really helped the Dodgers, imo. Certainly a team player when he's willing to play (or try) any position.

Just read that Johan Santana isn't happy about the Twins lackluster performance this trade deadline. Mentioned it isn't worth for him to be in Minn. if they're not going to try to improve.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2956943

Now him I wouldn't mind the Yanks going after. Wang, Santana, Hughes. I like the way that looks. ;)

I was surprised but not stunned. I'd heard the rumors and stuff and felt it was a possibility, but I was still surprised Theo actually went through with it. I though it was a good deal for us pretty much right from the start though.

I was surprised but not stunned. I'd heard the rumors and stuff and felt it was a possibility, but I was still surprised Theo actually went through with it. I though it was a good deal for us pretty much right from the start though.

It was a good deal because Cabrerra did an awesome job and was very enthusiastic. I am still suprised he was let go and

Rent-a-wreck was signed here :angry:

Lugo is doing better as of late but is still not having a good year by any means

Thank God for Pedrioa, picking up the offense that Lugo has not produced

As for my Dodgers :unsure: they look like crap lately. Cant hit and no trade for offense. I do not get it. :blink:

What do you think of the Proctor-Betemit deal, Medford? Used sparingly, or not overused, he still is a good pitcher. No offense towards the Dodgers, but wish they would have traded Farnsworth for Betemit. Farns isn't clicking here. But either way, we needed help with our pen AND our bench before. Now, while we've called up Duncan and an infielder, Betemit is an upgrade to our bench either way. Although, Duncan has been pretty good with the bat lately.

What do you think of the Proctor-Betemit deal, Medford? Used sparingly, or not overused, he still is a good pitcher. No offense towards the Dodgers, but wish they would have traded Farnsworth for Betemit. Farns isn't clicking here. But either way, we needed help with our pen AND our bench before. Now, while we've called up Duncan and an infielder, Betemit is an upgrade to our bench either way. Although, Duncan has been pretty good with the bat lately.

I like the trade for LA, but as I have said earlier, the Dodgers need hitting and with their anemic offense, I think they will be lucky

to get in the playoffs. Thank God no Farnsworth. He is a heart attack every time he pitches.

The Yankee fans will like Betemit if he is given only small doses of playing time. He has some pop but does

strike out a lot. Good luck to him for your Team.

Maybe we'll get to see Proctor and Betemit play tonight in their new uni's. I wonder if the Yanks will put anyone on waivers during August. Perhaps Farns and Igawa.

Now him I wouldn't mind the Yanks going after. Wang, Santana, Hughes. I like the way that looks. ;)

Yanks do not need Johan! If he goes there, Johan will no longer be my 3rd favorite player :angry:

Gagne closes his first game succesfully as a Red Sox, and Betemit hits a 3 run homer heping the Yanks climb back from an 8 run deficit. Not a bad day for the new guys on the block ;)

Gagne closes his first game succesfully as a Red Sox, and Betemit hits a 3 run homer heping the Yanks climb back from an 8 run deficit. Not a bad day for the new guys on the block ;)

Hmm.. wonder if we can use Clemens in relief work.

:lol: He did not look good yesterday at all but all pitchers have a bad outing now and then. You'd think 9 runs would be enough to win a baseball game in most cases, right? Clemens has been suprisingly steady since he joined the Yanks but can he go the long haul?

Hmm.. wonder if we can use Clemens in relief work.

:lol: He did not look good yesterday at all but all pitchers have a bad outing now and then. You'd think 9 runs would be enough to win a baseball game in most cases, right? Clemens has been suprisingly steady since he joined the Yanks but can he go the long haul?

The Yankee fans will like Betemit if he is given only small doses of playing time. He has some pop but does

So the Yankees now have their own Wily Mo? Or is Betemit at least a serviceable fielder, unlike WMP?

Clemens was boo'd off the mound yesterday, did I hear that right? I guess that's like the complete 180 from the day he announced he was coming back from Steinbrenner's box.

Ugh, another west coast trip. Didn't realize we had one coming up 'til I looked at the schedule yesterday. More late nights.

So the Yankees now have their own Wily Mo? Or is Betemit at least a serviceable fielder, unlike WMP?

Clemens was boo'd off the mound yesterday, did I hear that right? I guess that's like the complete 180 from the day he announced he was coming back from Steinbrenner's box.

Ugh, another west coast trip. Didn't realize we had one coming up 'til I looked at the schedule yesterday. More late nights.

lol Betemit = WM Pena.

IMHO Betemit is a bit better and not a cement glove like Willie Mo aka doink the Clown out in RF especially

lead is 8 games. not bad for the team that usually folds in August. Right Gip :lol:

btw I am just kidding, My Dodgers suck now and I should not critize anyone becuase

of that. I hope they win 2 of 3 vs

Arizona but am not banking on it. :o

Well, Arod got his 500th...congrats to him. I just heard that Jose Conseco(sp) is coming out with a new book late this fall and in it he implicates ARod. *sigh*, I hope ARod disproves any accusations for baseball's sake.

And now it appears that Bonds got his 755th to tie Hank Aaron. As I said in the other thread....big deal. :rolleyes:

Well, Arod got his 500th...congrats to him. I just heard that Jose Conseco(sp) is coming out with a new book late this fall and in it he implicates ARod. *sigh*, I hope ARod disproves any accusations for baseball's sake.

And now it appears that Bonds got his 755th to tie Hank Aaron. As I said in the other thread....big deal. :rolleyes:

Other than Coco getting runover by the Mariner Moose, looks like today's was a good game. Big series with the Halos coming up.

From the Seattle newspaper:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2003823329_kelley06.html' target="_blank">http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stev...9_kelley06.html[/post]

Congrats to Glavine, it was awesome to watch a well deserving player reach such a huge milestone.

Other than Coco getting runover by the Mariner Moose, looks like today's was a good game. Big series with the Halos coming up.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2003823329_kelley06.html' target="_blank">http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stev...9_kelley06.html[/post]

Congrats to Glavine, it was awesome to watch a well deserving player reach such a huge milestone.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stev...9_kelley06.html

great for Glavine, a class act

The Sox are hanging in there but my Dodgers suck bad and are toast IMHO

Good luck to all teams INCLUDING the Yanks right Gip ;)

Wow. Yanks designate Myers for assignment, and bring up AAA Jim Brower (I think thats him). Pitched a third of an inning, was "ok". Sox have the Halos to deal with for a while. Good luck with that. They can have their moments.

Wow. Yanks designate Myers for assignment, and bring up AAA Jim Brower (I think thats him). Pitched a third of an inning, was "ok". Sox have the Halos to deal with for a while. Good luck with that. They can have their moments.

Wow, who's gonna pitch to Big Papi now?