The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Sick of all this baseball stuff, HGH, steroids, blah blah blah... MLB knew players were doing it, and didn't intervene when they should have. Should players have used anything? Course not. But if there isn't any structure, limits will be pushed/broken. Let's move onto all of this and see the Yanks get #27. :)

Mark Prior goes to San Diego

Kinda sad to see Prior leave the Cubs. I'm not a Cubs fan but its hard not to keep up with them with all their games being on WGN. Remember when he had so much hype coming up to the bigs, when he and Wood were supposed to be the top of the Cubs' rotation for years, now Prior's leaving for SD and Wood is in the bullpen.

Ugh... baseballs hot stove has cooled down for the time being. The only thing "hot" is last nights hit, and even thats getting old. Supposedly, the Yanks and Twins are talking again. Whatever. Keep Kid Row, let em mature. I want Santana, but I don't wanna over pay AND give away great talent.

Clemens Asked to Testify to Congress in Jan.

Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte were asked Friday to testify before a congressional committee on Jan. 16, along with their former trainer, Brian McNamee. Also invited to appear before the House Oversight Committee were former Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski, whose allegations were a central part of last month's Mitchell report on doping in baseball. Former All-Star second baseman Chuck Knoblauch also was asked to speak to the panel.

Clemens Asked to Testify to Congress in Jan.

Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte were asked Friday to testify before a congressional committee on Jan. 16, along with their former trainer, Brian McNamee. Also invited to appear before the House Oversight Committee were former Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski, whose allegations were a central part of last month's Mitchell report on doping in baseball. Former All-Star second baseman Chuck Knoblauch also was asked to speak to the panel.

I couldn't start the year without checking in on the Santana saga...

According to The Associated Press (Jan. 4), Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said the following on Friday regarding Johan Santana:

I couldn't start the year without checking in on the Santana saga...

According to The Associated Press (Jan. 4), Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said the following on Friday regarding Johan Santana:

Mitchell's Report: Roger Clemens

I would like to say a few things about Mr. Clemens. After I'm done, I'd like to hear your opinions about all of this.

1) First of all, my class had a discussion about the Mitchell Report. 90% of my class said they watched the interview on 60 Minutes last night and believe he lied, due to his facial expressions. He is willing to a lie detector test, he stated in the report.

2) The 60 Minute interview was the first time Clemens himself has spoke on the subject sense the Mitchell's Report was released. However, he had commented on the subject, just through his lawyers and rep.

3) Clemens was "shocked" after hearing his close friend Andy Petitte admitted to using steroids.

4) Clemens admitted that he had been injected, but not with steroids. Clemens stated

that the injections contained the painkiller lidocaine and vitamin B-12

5) Regarding the arguments about him "bulking up", I think it is years of training and muscle, however he is slightly overweight for his age. :D

I have never met Clemens, however one of my father's best friends is Clemens's neighbor. I have pictures of Clemens, autographs, etc. however he is stated to be a very nice man and I believe him. I will stand by him 99.9% until he is completely cleared.

I am not a yankee fan and I never will be, but I like Roger Clemens and will support him until all is cleared, even if that is the day he dies.

So what are any opinions on any recent statements regarding the Mitchell Report?

It's like this.... a lot of players have injected themselves with all sorts of thing.. They're all guilty of something or whatnot in that "era". It's like the 70's and 80's when parents smoked while pregnant or around their children. Nowadays, they should know better.

Couple of trades to post up

Glaus for Rolen

Gut reaction is I think Glaus has more left in the tank than Rolen, who's been lousy and/or hurt 2 of the last 3 years. Glaus is injury prone himself though so it could well even out. Good news for us is Glaus is a Red Sox killer so its good to get him out of the division.

Atlanta sends NC State's own Joey Devine to Oakland for Mark Kotsay

Oakland is in full firesale mode. Rumors are Huston Street could be next on the chopping block. Kotsay is a pure stopgap for the Braves until Jordan Schaefer, their #1 prospect who's a CF, gets there. As a State fan I hope Joey does better with a fresh start out there.

Meanwhile, the news on the Santana front is that there is no news, but don't worry, people are still thinking about it.

I've stated before that I think that Lowrie, Lester, Masterson, Ellsbury, etc. need to stay in Boston. I personally don't think that Santana will be end up be worth what he's going to get in a contract extension. I want this Santana business to end soon, just leave him in Minnesota. We need to hurry up and deal Coco for a BP piece or bench guy and sign Bobby Kielty back or otherwise he may go elsewhere because we're taking too long unloading Coco.

On the Clemens front though I'd say that he's lying. His best pal Pettite took them and apparently he's shocked? These guys are so close to each other they probably sleep in the same bed on road trips, I don't believe that he never knew anything about it. Also I mean there is the undeniable fact that he was beginning to look washed up in Boston, then all of the sudden he reels off another 12 magical years onto his career with Cy Young awards aplenty. The guy displayed some symptoms of rage in heated moments, and he hasn't looked very cool and composed in these interviews he's done since then.

I just needed to pop in here and say that with the way the Canes and State basketball both look like garbage right now, baseball season can't get here soon enough for me.

I just needed to pop in here and say that with the way the Canes and State basketball both look like garbage right now, baseball season can't get here soon enough for me.

Fortunately I still have my Pats but...

APRIL 1ST BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that. State and the Canes had such high expectations if their one possible weakness could somehow be solved. For State that was a PG and for the Canes that was defense. Not only have these been weaknesses, but these have been the nail in the coffin to these awful seasons.........oh well......GO SOX!!

Sooner than that actually, thanks to those games against the A's we're playing in Japan

Sooner than that actually, thanks to those games against the A's we're playing in Japan

Very true. Wonder if Santana will actually know what team he's palying for by then, LOL.

Did a double take on your retro avatar. Im glad the Cam Ward stick figure got retired, it freaked me out.

Very true. Wonder if Santana will actually know what team he's palying for by then, LOL.

Did a double take on your retro avatar. Im glad the Cam Ward stick figure got retired, it freaked me out.

Did you know he's lost weight?

YES! GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!!!!!!

Rays give Pena three-year, $24.1 million

The Rays said that the payroll would grow eventually, strictly from paying their own guys to stick around. It happened on Friday.

Tampa Bay signed Carlos Pena to a three-year deal worth $24.1 million as first reported by tbo.com.

Rather than go the one-year route the Rays obviously showed they want to keep Pena for the longer term.

http://www.620wdae.com/cc-common/mainheadl...article=2984023