The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Javy Lopez signs one year deal with the Red Sox

Lefty reliever Javier Lopez avoided salary arbitration with the Sox by coming to terms on a one-year deal for $840,000. That leaves the Sox with two aribitation-eligible players, Kevin Youkilis and Kyle Snyder. That's a nice bump in pay for Lopez, more than doubling his 2007 salary of $402,500. Lopez appeared in 61 games for the Sox last season, second only to Hideki Okajima's 66.

Lopez survived on the Sox last season at the expense of JC Romero, who was designated by the Sox and wound up playing a key role for the Phillies (earning a 3-year, $12m contract this offseason).

Lefty reliever Javier Lopez avoided salary arbitration with the Sox by coming to terms on a one-year deal for $840,000. That leaves the Sox with two aribitation-eligible players, Kevin Youkilis and Kyle Snyder. That's a nice bump in pay for Lopez, more than doubling his 2007 salary of $402,500. Lopez appeared in 61 games for the Sox last season, second only to Hideki Okajima's 66.

Lopez survived on the Sox last season at the expense of JC Romero, who was designated by the Sox and wound up playing a key role for the Phillies (earning a 3-year, $12m contract this offseason).

Isn't http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4965' target="_blank">Javy Lopez[/post] a catcher, for the Braves? I thought the pitcher was Javier. Or are the Red Sox declaring their superiority and claim to all nicknames now?

YES! GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!!!!!!

As long he proves last year wasn't a fluke, that's an absolute steal.

8 million per for 3 years? Julio freakin Lugo makes more than that.

Just thought I'd share....

BDD_pandc_1.17.08_bggett.jpg

... Report to Fort Myers in 24 Days, 08 Hours, 12 Minutes, 53 Seconds.

Just thought I'd share....

BDD_pandc_1.17.08_bggett.jpg

... Report to Fort Myers in 24 Days, 08 Hours, 12 Minutes, 53 Seconds.

As long he proves last year wasn't a fluke, that's an absolute steal.

8 million per for 3 years? Julio freakin Lugo makes more than that.

I agree, hopefully he will be just as good! :)

The Rays continue to spend money! Maybe we won't finish last in the division this season! Now our rotation is Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Jackson, Sonnenstine. I am anxious to see when David Price is brought up

As expected Wednesday afternoon, the Rays announced at a news conference they had signed their prized right-hander to a long-term deal that could last as long as seven years and -- with incentives -- could be worth as much as $44 million.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article....jsp&c_id=tb

The Rays continue to spend money! Maybe we won't finish last in the division this season! Now our rotation is Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Jackson, Sonnenstine. I am anxious to see when David Price is brought up

Congrats, thats good for them.

Congrats, thats good for them.

Bedard to Seattle:

The Seattle Times is reporting that Baltimore Orioles pitcher Erik Bedard has been traded to the Seattle Mariners for a package of players that includes outfielder Adam Jones.

According to the report, Jones was quoted as saying "I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is. He's one of the best."

Luis Sojo, Jones' Winter League manager, has confirmed that Jones has been sent to Baltimore to undergo a physical.

Bedard had recently voiced his frustration with his inability to work out a contract extension with the team.

Johnny Damon gets an award for his work with wounded soldiers:

The Yankees outfielder was overwhelmed by his introduction Sunday night at the 85th annual New York baseball writers' dinner, where he was honored for his work with soldiers wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Wow. I'm not that emotional of a person," Damon said after a standing ovation. "But for the freedom that we have, we all should pay more attention to people who go out there and fight for it."

Damon received the Joan Payson Award for community service, named after the former New York Mets owner. In September 2006, he became a national spokesman for the Wounded Warrior Project, which provides various types of assistance to injured servicemen and women.

"This was something that really needed to be addressed," said Damon, whose father, Jimmy, was a career Army officer and served in Vietnam. "I'm going to keep spreading the word. We're going to make these guys come home and live normal lives and feel like they're a part of our country still."

Bedard to Seattle:

The Seattle Times is reporting that Baltimore Orioles pitcher Erik Bedard has been traded to the Seattle Mariners for a package of players that includes outfielder Adam Jones.

According to the report, Jones was quoted as saying "I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is. He's one of the best."

Luis Sojo, Jones' Winter League manager, has confirmed that Jones has been sent to Baltimore to undergo a physical.

Bedard had recently voiced his frustration with his inability to work out a contract extension with the team.

Johnny Damon gets an award for his work with wounded soldiers:

The Yankees outfielder was overwhelmed by his introduction Sunday night at the 85th annual New York baseball writers' dinner, where he was honored for his work with soldiers wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Wow. I'm not that emotional of a person," Damon said after a standing ovation. "But for the freedom that we have, we all should pay more attention to people who go out there and fight for it."

Damon received the Joan Payson Award for community service, named after the former New York Mets owner. In September 2006, he became a national spokesman for the Wounded Warrior Project, which provides various types of assistance to injured servicemen and women.

"This was something that really needed to be addressed," said Damon, whose father, Jimmy, was a career Army officer and served in Vietnam. "I'm going to keep spreading the word. We're going to make these guys come home and live normal lives and feel like they're a part of our country still."

2 major blockbuster deals happened today.

1. the Philadelphia Phillies signed former Giant Pedro Feliz (3B) to a 2 year deal worth $8.5 million per year

2. the Boston Red Sox traded Willy Mota and Miguel Socolovich to the Chicago White Sox for David Aardsma

1. the Philadelphia Phillies signed former Giant Pedro Feliz (3B) to a 2 year deal worth $8.5 million per year

2. the Boston Red Sox traded Willy Mota and Miguel Socolovich to the Chicago White Sox for David Aardsma

Umm...who?

Umm...who?

Oh, and one insignificant deal went down about an hour ago...

Some Johan Santana guy to the Mets. I guess New York had been after him awhile or something. Don't know why.

Some Johan Santana guy to the Mets. I guess New York had been after him awhile or something. Don't know why.

Whoa, thats a relief! Now my team keeps all its young talent in tact with no worries. Good for the Mets, they really need him.

Thanks for the news Mike!!!!

Whoa, thats a relief! Now my team keeps all its young talent in tact with no worries. Good for the Mets, they really need him.

Thanks for the news Mike!!!!

I literally jumped out of my chair when I heard this... I dunno I would've rather had Haren when he was on the trading block and we gave up 95% of our team in Norfolk just for Santana. I don't even know if there's still a team left in Norfolk now haha

Huge move for the Mets. Their rotation had some question marks, so getting Santana to anchor it is big. They needed some positive press to make people forget about the collapse.

Can't believe this was really the best offer for the Twins though. Humber's stock has dropped, Mulvey projects as a middle of the rotation guy, and Guerra is highly regarded but is only 18 and hasn't pitched above single-A. Gomez is good but not better than Ellsbury.

This is fine with me. The Sox interest in him seemed pretty lukewarm all along and understandably so. As long as the yankees didn't get him then i'm fine.

Awesome... the Sox keep all our youngsters making us still absolutely loaded for the future AND the we do just enough to keep Santana out of the Bronx...

Beautiful

And it'll be interesting to see how Santana does in the NL. Not many pitchers have been able to make that transition very easily from AL to NL because they have to bat. Not only that, but he's now being stuck in the same division as the best offensive team in baseball in Philadelphia. It'll certainly be interesting to see how his numbers end up when he's playing in the NL ballparks like Citizen's Bank that have historically been very kind to the batters.

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!!

Santana was declining some last season, and I don't think he'll be worth his contract. Now the Sox get to keep Lester, Masterson, Lowrie, Ellsbury, etc. and form a team around their farm like it should be.

Now just hurry up and move Crisp for BP depth, sign back Kielty and roll on April!!