The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Now just hurry up and move Crisp for BP depth, sign back Kielty and roll on April!!

I wouldn't be surprised if we let Kielty go and Brandon Moss will be our 4th OFer, pending a Coco trade.

Awesome... the Sox keep all our youngsters making us still absolutely loaded for the future AND the we do just enough to keep Santana out of the Bronx...

Beautiful

And it'll be interesting to see how Santana does in the NL. Not many pitchers have been able to make that transition very easily from AL to NL because they have to bat. Not only that, but he's now being stuck in the same division as the best offensive team in baseball in Philadelphia. It'll certainly be interesting to see how his numbers end up when he's playing in the NL ballparks like Citizen's Bank that have historically been very kind to the batters.

ESPN was saying that Santana should actually make the transition fine. He supposedly a great all around athlete and can hit and run well.

Awesome... the Sox keep all our youngsters making us still absolutely loaded for the future AND the we do just enough to keep Santana out of the Bronx...

Beautiful

And it'll be interesting to see how Santana does in the NL. Not many pitchers have been able to make that transition very easily from AL to NL because they have to bat. Not only that, but he's now being stuck in the same division as the best offensive team in baseball in Philadelphia. It'll certainly be interesting to see how his numbers end up when he's playing in the NL ballparks like Citizen's Bank that have historically been very kind to the batters.

ESPN was saying that Santana should actually make the transition fine. He supposedly a great all around athlete and can hit and run well.

Yea I dunno...

I don't like Santana's chances when they're gonna be putting him up against the Phillies lineup as much as they will. Then again, that lineup will make any pitcher look mediocre, but still, I don't like his chances against a lineup like that.

This has 'Pedro Martinez to NYM' written all over it. On paper it looks great, but in reality, it might not have been the best career move for the player in question...

I wouldn't be surprised if we let Kielty go and Brandon Moss will be our 4th OFer, pending a Coco trade.

I saw that Moss has been learning to play 1st in Winter ball to increase his versatility as well. I'd love to see Kielty back, but until a Coco trade occurs I don't think anyone really knows how the OF situation is gonna play out. I just would like to see Kielty back because of his ability against lefties vs. Drews.

Yea I dunno...

I don't like Santana's chances when they're gonna be putting him up against the Phillies lineup as much as they will. Then again, that lineup will make any pitcher look mediocre, but still, I don't like his chances against a lineup like that.

This has 'Pedro Martinez to NYM' written all over it. On paper it looks great, but in reality, it might not have been the best career move for the player in question...

It's not like he hasn't seen tough lineups before. The Phils are tough, but how many NL lineups match up to Detroit, Cleveland, Boston, NYY, or Anaheim?

This is where I think you guys are wrong. Good for the Yanks. BoSox have Daisuke, Beckett, Schil, Lester, Buchholz.... yeah, like the Sox REALLY needed him. <_<

The Yanks have Trifecta. Though young, if they keep them, and it's looking good now, they will be awesome. Wang is just as good as Beckett. Joba and Hughes will have to prove alot. Kennedy is good, but isn't projected as a #1 starter. He's pitched more innings, but hey.... who knows. And of course, Andy Pettitte. Equal to Schil I guess, but in different ways. Yanks need relief. Major relief. We have Latroy Hawkins, but I hope he does well. I dunno who else to get as far as relief help goes.. I haven't looked at any baseball news at all, except for Johan because my father called me and was like "Holy !#$!" "Son of a ..." in his thick spanish accent. Huge Mets lover.

I'll see what I can conjure up.

I hope he sucks, Braves need to make the playoffs again.

Santana is the least of the Braves problems, they've got to get their own pitching in line before they should be worrying about the Mets.

Smoltz

Hudson

Glavine

James

Moylan (I sure hope so)

and maybe Hampton

I'd say if james is consistent and Moylan is as good as a starter as he was a reliever. We should be in great shape. Hopefully Hampton won't try to reinjure himself again.

It's not like he hasn't seen tough lineups before. The Phils are tough, but how many NL lineups match up to Detroit, Cleveland, Boston, NYY, or Anaheim?

And having faced those lineups in the AL last year, he certainly didn't finish his year on a good note.

And another thing, the Mets need more than just Santana if they want to overtake the Phillies in the NL East this year. Yes, they just picked up the best pitcher in the majors, but guess what, the Phils upgraded themselves as well. They picked up Lidge, who is now going to be a full time closer for them. That allows them to move Myers back into the starting rotation which is huge for them. Plus, they have the best lineup in the majors second to none, not only that, but their fielding is going to be top notch this year.

Yes, the Mets should be excited about picking this guy up, but if you want my honest opinion, it really won't make much of a difference in the standings this year. Yes, the Mets only finished half a game or whatever back, but with how each team was playing to end the year, the Mets still have a ways to go in other aspects other than pitching before they are a bigtime contender this season.

And having faced those lineups in the AL last year, he certainly didn't finish his year on a good note.

And another thing, the Mets need more than just Santana if they want to overtake the Phillies in the NL East this year. Yes, they just picked up the best pitcher in the majors, but guess what, the Phils upgraded themselves as well. They picked up Lidge, who is now going to be a full time closer for them. That allows them to move Myers back into the starting rotation which is huge for them. Plus, they have the best lineup in the majors second to none, not only that, but their fielding is going to be top notch this year.

Yes, the Mets should be excited about picking this guy up, but if you want my honest opinion, it really won't make much of a difference in the standings this year. Yes, the Mets only finished half a game or whatever back, but with how each team was playing to end the year, the Mets still have a ways to go in other aspects other than pitching before they are a bigtime contender this season.

I dunno, I honestly think the Mets are the best team in the NL with Santana, all bias aside I think the the Rockies were a one hit wonder, their pitching hasnt convineced me and they lost Kaz Matsui who was huge in their post season run. The Phillies only won that division because the Mets handed it to them on a silver platter and that was without Santana. Delgado had an awful year and Wright was non exsistent the first half of the year. If theirs any team I'm concerened with it's the D-Backs, with their Webb, Haren as their one-two and they have Johnson in their rotation too. Upton is only getting better, Byrnes is becoming a star, and Stephen Drew and Hudson played above expectations last season. If the addition of Santana doesn't get us to the World Series I might as well bury my head in the sand. I feel like a Yankees fan with all these high expectations :blink:

The biggest question with the Mets is how will last years collapse effect their psyche. If I was a Mets fan I would be really worried if the Mets are leading at midseason and then drop a few games in a row. Players would be likely to be thinking oh no not again, which could tank their season again. Now a player like Santana could go out an pitch a gem to break up that bad momentum but their is still the chance it could rock their locker room.

Red Sox sign Sean Casey to back up Youk at first base:

The Red Sox today agreed to one-year, $800,000 deal with lefthanded hitting first baseman Sean Casey, pending a physical.

Casey will serve primarily in a backup role to Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis. Casey is known as "the mayor" around the major leagues because of his outgoing personality.

The Sox see Casey as someone who will embrace the backup role as well as be a great addition to the clubhouse.

Casey is a career .301 hitter in 11 major league seasons. He hit. 296 in 143 games with the Tigers last season. He spent time with both the Tigers and Pirates in 2006 before returning to the Detroit for the entire 2007 season.

The Red Sox today agreed to one-year, $800,000 deal with lefthanded hitting first baseman Sean Casey, pending a physical.

Casey will serve primarily in a backup role to Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis. Casey is known as "the mayor" around the major leagues because of his outgoing personality.

The Sox see Casey as someone who will embrace the backup role as well as be a great addition to the clubhouse.

Casey is a career .301 hitter in 11 major league seasons. He hit. 296 in 143 games with the Tigers last season. He spent time with both the Tigers and Pirates in 2006 before returning to the Detroit for the entire 2007 season.

2 hour extension granted......................

Read the previous page, you're a day or two late. Its old news.

2 hour extension granted......................

Read the previous page, you're a day or two late. Its old news.

not a bad pickup to fill in at 1b and DH

always have liked him B)

Meet the New Mayor

BDD_SC_lawrence_5.17.08_bg.jpg

A communications major in college, Casey makes Kevin Millar of the Sox look bashful by comparison. His nickname on the Reds is the ''Mayor," because he has a word for everybody, including sportswriters, whom he stunned one spring at the Reds training facility in Sarasota, Fla., when he sauntered into the press room, introduced himself and welcomed them, all before even saying hello to his teammates.

The San Diego Union-Tribune once surveyed the Padres on which first baseman was the league's chattiest. Casey won going away. ''Casey takes it to a different level," Padres infielder Phil Nevin said at the time. ''He's like that guy in 'Seinfeld,' the close-to-your-face talker. You think Casey is going to lick your face." -- 6.13.05, Gordon Edes, Boston Globe