The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Meet the New Mayor

BDD_SC_lawrence_5.17.08_bg.jpg

A communications major in college, Casey makes Kevin Millar of the Sox look bashful by comparison. His nickname on the Reds is the ''Mayor," because he has a word for everybody, including sportswriters, whom he stunned one spring at the Reds training facility in Sarasota, Fla., when he sauntered into the press room, introduced himself and welcomed them, all before even saying hello to his teammates.

The San Diego Union-Tribune once surveyed the Padres on which first baseman was the league's chattiest. Casey won going away. ''Casey takes it to a different level," Padres infielder Phil Nevin said at the time. ''He's like that guy in 'Seinfeld,' the close-to-your-face talker. You think Casey is going to lick your face." -- 6.13.05, Gordon Edes, Boston Globe

Red Sox sign Sean Casey to back up Youk at first base:

The Red Sox today agreed to one-year, $800,000 deal with lefthanded hitting first baseman Sean Casey, pending a physical.

Casey will serve primarily in a backup role to Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis. Casey is known as "the mayor" around the major leagues because of his outgoing personality.

The Sox see Casey as someone who will embrace the backup role as well as be a great addition to the clubhouse.

Casey is a career .301 hitter in 11 major league seasons. He hit. 296 in 143 games with the Tigers last season. He spent time with both the Tigers and Pirates in 2006 before returning to the Detroit for the entire 2007 season.

Yanks sign Morgan Ensberg to vie for 1st base job. Not a bad righty power hitter. 700 K. I love Morgan, great guy. Read an article about him in ESPN magazine about how him and a couple of other guys being help hostage when they were in the minors. Still has the rope scars on his wrist. But... I still want relief help. :angry:

Yanks sign Morgan Ensberg to vie for 1st base job. Not a bad righty power hitter. 700 K. I love Morgan, great guy. Read an article about him in ESPN magazine about how him and a couple of other guys being help hostage when they were in the minors. Still has the rope scars on his wrist. But... I still want relief help. :angry:

Held hostage??? For real????

Held hostage??? For real????

Reports out of Cleveland have CC Sabathia most likely on the move either before the deadline in a trade or come next offseason via free-agency.

Apparently Sabathia's agent was following the Santana talks very closely, especially the deal that was just signed and was going to base their asking price next year in contract talks on what was just given to Santana. Well, Cleveland cannot come close to matching what Santana was just given by the Mets, so its looking like he'll be on the move within the year.

Could be very interesting to see how this develops over the next year or so. Wouldn't shock me at all to see the Yanks offer Cleveland something ridiculously stupid come the deadline when the Sox once again have a substantial lead in the division just so they can try to catch up.

ummmm.......what is old news????

Oops, I get it now. Details on Santana's contract?

ummmm.......what is old news????

Oops, I get it now. Details on Santana's contract?

Was back in 2000....

Astros Minor Leaguers Tied, Robbed

By MIKE SCHNEIDER

Associated Press Writer

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP)

Red Sox signed Sean Casey to a contract yesterday. Very good move. He is making just 800,000 and is a very solid fielder, contact hitter, and even more important a great clubhouse and community presence.

Red Sox signed Sean Casey to a contract yesterday. Very good move. He is making just 800,000 and is a very solid fielder, contact hitter, and even more important a great clubhouse and community presence.

You're late to the party, read the previous page, LOL.

You're late to the party, read the previous page, LOL.

Ah whoops! I looked back at pg. 60, but skipped pg. 61!

No worries, looks like the guy might be a much needed comedic club house personality thats been missing since Millar left.

Ah whoops! I looked back at pg. 60, but skipped pg. 61!

No worries, looks like the guy might be a much needed comedic club house personality thats been missing since Millar left.

No terms announced, but people close say under contact until 2013, with an option for 2014 and guaranteed $137.5 million

ESPN just said 7 years for $150.75 mil :o Not sure I heard that right.

No terms announced, but people close say under contact until 2013, with an option for 2014 and guaranteed $137.5 million

ESPN just said 7 years for $150.75 mil :o Not sure I heard that right.

Late this morning, I caught a split-second glimpse of ESPN News (the ESPN news channel, if I'm not clear) and heard that former Yankee second baseman Chuck Knoblauch testified about his use of HGH. That disappointed me, honestly, since Knobby was one of my favorites in baseball for several years ... but no more than seeing how much weight he's gained in retirement:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/02/sports/b...70&emc=eta1

Jan/GSBG

Sox signed Bobby Kielty to a non-guaranteed 800,000 contract. Means that if he doesn't think they are going to trade Coco by start of the season then he can leave Sox camp and sign elsewhere. Either way the bench this year is amazing, Casey, Cora, Mirabelli, Coco/Kielty!!

Sox signed Bobby Kielty to a non-guaranteed 800,000 contract. Means that if he doesn't think they are going to trade Coco by start of the season then he can leave Sox camp and sign elsewhere. Either way the bench this year is amazing, Casey, Cora, Mirabelli, Coco/Kielty!!

A good but small bandaid of good news to cover the wound left by my Pats. Thanks for posting :)

A good but small bandaid of good news to cover the wound left by my Pats. Thanks for posting :)