The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

On another ex-Red Sox note, Keith Foulke is going to make a comeback attempt with Oakland

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3237956''>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3237956' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3237956[/post]

I'll always love Foulke for '04, but he was a jerk to the fans in '05. I really hope that he could return to form, but I strongly believe that he's done and has been done for a long time.

I just wanted to add my 02. about the Mitchell Report. I didn't know much about the report or what was going on other than 3 players were named in using HGH for a period of years. I knew Roger Clemens was one of the 3 that was named. Atomically, once I heard the name, I shrugged it off once I heard Clemens denied the allegations. Clemens was one of my idols when I was a kid when he played for the Bo-Sox. If Clemens said he didn't do it, well, I believed it.

I watched 2 1/2 hours of the hearing today before congress. I have to say after watching that, I have to believe Brian McNamee is telling the truth about Clemens using the drugs. McNamee named 3 players that he injected with HGH and other drugs. The other 2 names McNamee named have come forward and admitted that they did use HGH, one being Andy Pettitte. Pettitte said under oath that Clemens had told him that he did in fact use HGH.

I hate this whole thing but it is what it is. I would have more respect for Clemens if he would just come out and admit that he did it. Not only did he cheat, he is a liar. I have more respect for Pettitte for just telling the truth. Okay, he used it in the past...we will move on!

Both Clemens and McNamee have been caught in lie after lie and at first you don't know who to believe. Then I thought about it, McNamee lies were at the beginning of the investigation. Most people do lie about something they did that was wrong when they are first caught. Clemens lies have been in the past 2 months. Another reason; why would McNamee name his long time friend in the Mitchell Report if it was not true. It's not benefiting him.

Will baseball move past all of this?

Spring training opens tomorrow and I've got only one thing to say:

This will be the year the Cubs win....

The Cubs win....the Cubs win....the Cubs win!!!!!!

I hate to say it but i really could careless about baseball anymore!Over the last 10 yrs or so it has become such a joke. I have almost totally lost interest.The only games i might watch are some of the BOSOX. If they aren't in the post season then i'm done. Baseball to me has more of a downside than an upside!! :angry:

I hate to say it but i really could careless about baseball anymore!Over the last 10 yrs or so it has become such a joke. I have almost totally lost interest.The only games i might watch are some of the BOSOX. If they aren't in the post season then i'm done. Baseball to me has more of a downside than an upside!! :angry:

I'm starting to feel the same way. All you hear now about the sport is steroid use. I guess they all are (or were) a bunch of drug users. Sounds like that was the norm in baseball. Any time someone is about to break a record.... STEROID USE pops up. Now the question about Clemons has driven that nail through the heart for me.

Right now, I think fans are in shock, but not as much as when Bonds was accused. It's the offseason, the shock value has diminished, regardless if it's Clemens or not. It's like violence. Violence on tv, newspapers, internet.... when hostages are shown and you see what happens to them, it's shocking, but not as much as it would have been 10, 20 years ago. Does that make sense? It did to me, if it didn't, sorry. :)

I love Clemens still. I think he's a good person, but just chose the wrong path, and didn't know how to handle the situation like Pettitte. I've heard Pettitte was a religious man, so I figured he would just tell the truth like he did. Dunno about Clemens, so he prolly had to cover his reputation and all...

I hate to say all of that, but I think it's the truth... more people care less now, then when Bonds was accused. It'll still make headlines, but I dunno..

Thoughts?

Right now, I think fans are in shock, but not as much as when Bonds was accused. It's the offseason, the shock value has diminished, regardless if it's Clemens or not. It's like violence. Violence on tv, newspapers, internet.... when hostages are shown and you see what happens to them, it's shocking, but not as much as it would have been 10, 20 years ago. Does that make sense? It did to me, if it didn't, sorry. :)

I love Clemens still. I think he's a good person, but just chose the wrong path, and didn't know how to handle the situation like Pettitte. I've heard Pettitte was a religious man, so I figured he would just tell the truth like he did. Dunno about Clemens, so he prolly had to cover his reputation and all...

I hate to say all of that, but I think it's the truth... more people care less now, then when Bonds was accused. It'll still make headlines, but I dunno..

Thoughts?

My thoughts...its spring training time!!!!!!! Im sick of all the steroid stuff. They all did it and they should all admit to it and move on. MLB should admit to majorly messing up by ignoring it, the players should come clean and......let the new season begin.

For the players that want to lie and protect their reputations, they'll get exactly what they deserve. I agree with whoever said it earlier, if Clemens just came clean, people would probably be very forgiving. Im much more put off with fact that Clemens would lie rather than that he took steroids.

Thoughts?

My thoughts...its spring training time!!!!!!! Im sick of all the steroid stuff. They all did it and they should all admit to it and move on. MLB should admit to majorly messing up by ignoring it, the players should come clean and......let the new season begin.

For the players that want to lie and protect their reputations, they'll get exactly what they deserve. I agree with whoever said it earlier, if Clemens just came clean, people would probably be very forgiving. Im much more put off with fact that Clemens would lie rather than that he took steroids.

I'm excited to see the Yanks and Sox rookie pitchers in action. Our trifecta and Lester and Buchholz? I hope buchholz doesn't end up like Anibal Sanchez from the marlins. No hitter and then nothing else... :mad: Would kinda stink..

Man, can't wait for MLB 08 the Show to come out. Ryan Howard on the cover, hopefully it'll have the trifecta of new Yankees pitchers, and updated Buchholz/Lester/Okajima.

On a side note, our annual parade was saturday. The Edison Festival of Lights parade. It's the 6th largest parade I believe in the US. An estimated 225 to 250 K people showed up for this. Among some of our special guest, were Ernest Grahme (football player, no idea who he is) and Twins very own Jesse Crain. Mauer and Nathan were also rumored to have been there, but weren't.

We've had Sox as part of the parade, as they are sometimes downhere in time for it. But not bad, eh? :)

Oh, and I've had more than my share of New Englanders around the City of Palms "pahk" and their accents. :) Time for them to go home. :P

Man, can't wait for MLB 08 the Show to come out. Ryan Howard on the cover, hopefully it'll have the trifecta of new Yankees pitchers, and updated Buchholz/Lester/Okajima.

On a side note, our annual parade was saturday. The Edison Festival of Lights parade. It's the 6th largest parade I believe in the US. An estimated 225 to 250 K people showed up for this. Among some of our special guest, were Ernest Grahme (football player, no idea who he is) and Twins very own Jesse Crain. Mauer and Nathan were also rumored to have been there, but weren't.

We've had Sox as part of the parade, as they are sometimes downhere in time for it. But not bad, eh? :)

Oh, and I've had more than my share of New Englanders around the City of Palms "pahk" and their accents. :) Time for them to go home. :P

Awe, its good for all the local economy. :P

Awe, its good for all the local economy. :P

Manny Being Happy: "It's great, man. It's a blessing. A lot of people play and they never get one. What can I say, man? So many people played for the Red Sox, Ted Williams, so many guys. Such great players, and they didn't get a ring. I'm just happy to be here and blessed." -- 2.21.08, Manny Ramirez speaking to the media in Fort Myers today

BDD_MR_cages_2.21.08_bgjd.jpg

Manny has been working out :o

Manny Being Happy: "It's great, man. It's a blessing. A lot of people play and they never get one. What can I say, man? So many people played for the Red Sox, Ted Williams, so many guys. Such great players, and they didn't get a ring. I'm just happy to be here and blessed." -- 2.21.08, Manny Ramirez speaking to the media in Fort Myers today

BDD_MR_cages_2.21.08_bgjd.jpg

Manny has been working out :o

Red Sox, Colon agree to minor league deal

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 24, 2008, 10:21 PM ET

The Boston Red Sox have reached preliminary agreement on a minor league contract with right-hander Bartolo Colon, a source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

If he makes the Opening Day roster, Colon would provide rotation insurance for Boston, which will be without Curt Schilling, who is working his way back from a shoulder injury.

Under the terms of the agreement, Colon is not guaranteed any money, a baseball source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. If he pitches in the major leagues, it will be for a low baseball salary with performance bonuses.

The White Sox, Cardinals and Astros also had been rumored as possible suitors for Colon this offseason. According to Olney, Colon was close to an agreement with the Mets earlier this winter, but New York backed off out of concern for the condition of his pitching arm.

Colon suffered through an injury-marred 2007 for the Los Angeles Angels, posting a 6-8 record and a 6.34 ERA -- the worst of his career.

In his 11-year career, Colon is 146-95 with a 4.10 ERA. He is a two-time 20-game winner, and he won the Cy Young Award in 2005 with the Angels.

Red Sox, Colon agree to minor league deal

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 24, 2008, 10:21 PM ET

The Boston Red Sox have reached preliminary agreement on a minor league contract with right-hander Bartolo Colon, a source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

If he makes the Opening Day roster, Colon would provide rotation insurance for Boston, which will be without Curt Schilling, who is working his way back from a shoulder injury.

Under the terms of the agreement, Colon is not guaranteed any money, a baseball source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. If he pitches in the major leagues, it will be for a low baseball salary with performance bonuses.

The White Sox, Cardinals and Astros also had been rumored as possible suitors for Colon this offseason. According to Olney, Colon was close to an agreement with the Mets earlier this winter, but New York backed off out of concern for the condition of his pitching arm.

Colon suffered through an injury-marred 2007 for the Los Angeles Angels, posting a 6-8 record and a 6.34 ERA -- the worst of his career.

In his 11-year career, Colon is 146-95 with a 4.10 ERA. He is a two-time 20-game winner, and he won the Cy Young Award in 2005 with the Angels.