The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

:rolleyes: Yeah, I know what you mean unfortunately. Yankees and Red Sox fans are some of the MOST annoying fans. Arrogant, biligerent, drunk... and that's just from Boston to the Bronx.. Down here in Ft. Myers... geez... all the @#$% thats talked... all the Sox stuff I see during the spring and during the month of Oct.... not usually in between though. Then again, whoever wins the WS usually has a bunch of fans from all over. It's like they suddenly show all their gear around that time. Surprise, huh? :)

But I was hoping Mr. Hanky (see if ya'll catch that one) was going to be different from Older Steiner. At least he's making it interesting and making sure the Yanks aren't ignored. Oh well.

I would think that letting them be ignored would be the best thing for the Yankees right now if I was the owner. They're always under so much media pressure and it would probably be nice for them to retool and refocus for the season without all the extra drama for a change.

Every fanbase has them C23, its ust that these two are the loudest, lol.

:rolleyes: Yeah, I know what you mean unfortunately. Yankees and Red Sox fans are some of the MOST annoying fans. Arrogant, biligerent, drunk... and that's just from Boston to the Bronx.. Down here in Ft. Myers... geez... all the @#$% thats talked... all the Sox stuff I see during the spring and during the month of Oct.... not usually in between though. Then again, whoever wins the WS usually has a bunch of fans from all over. It's like they suddenly show all their gear around that time. Surprise, huh? :)

But I was hoping Mr. Hanky (see if ya'll catch that one) was going to be different from Older Steiner. At least he's making it interesting and making sure the Yanks aren't ignored. Oh well.

I would think that letting them be ignored would be the best thing for the Yankees right now if I was the owner. They're always under so much media pressure and it would probably be nice for them to retool and refocus for the season without all the extra drama for a change.

Every fanbase has them C23, its ust that these two are the loudest, lol.

yea but they are going to need to learn, just like they are going to need to learn what it is like losing to Boston for two straight years and finishing in 3rd place behind the Red Sox and the Blue Rays. Watch out for the Devil Rays too

Blue Rays?! :blink: I knew we were having hard time's recently, but I didn't know dvd players were beating us too! :lol::D

And if you've been a Sox fan for more than a few years (ala the Idiot Era of 2004 and on), you would know that the Yanks sucked big time in the 80's. We went to the WS in 81, but lost. That was it. We were HORRIBLE.

Boston beat us in the 2004 ALCS. We won the division in 05, and in 06. 07 was the first year in 10 years the Sox won the division. We were eliminated by Tribe, I won't get into any details of that myself, but we lost. Sox beat... I forget who they beat actually. but they beat the Tribe later and and beat the Rockies. So 2 years in a row?

Do BoSox nation a favor... hop off the wagon and let real Sox fans enjoy their time.

Baby Jonathan Has a Temper Tantrum in Florida

Bostondirtdogs.com

Sox Forced to Buy a Pacifier for the First Time Since Pedro Left Town

Pap Rants About Mariano, Money, The Game, and So-Called Standards

Cry Baby Decides to Complain About His Contract Two Years Too Soon

"That situation, man, it's a tough situation for me right now because basically I'm at a point to where I feel like the position I'm in, there's a certain standard that needs to be put in place here. I feel like with me being at the top of my position I feel like that standard needs to be set and I'm the one to set that standard. And I don't think that the Red Sox are really necessarily seeing eye-to-eye with me on that subject right now. Hopefully we can get somewhere.

"We're chugging away at this thing and we want to get it done, believe me, and we can move on. At the same time, I feel a certain obligation to not only to myself and my family to make the money that I deserve, but for the game of baseball. Mariano Rivera has been doing it for the past 10 years. With me coming up behind him, I feel a certain obligation to do the same."-Jonathan Paplebon

Great, another primadonna. :rolleyes:

Baby Jonathan Has a Temper Tantrum in Florida

Bostondirtdogs.com

Sox Forced to Buy a Pacifier for the First Time Since Pedro Left Town

Pap Rants About Mariano, Money, The Game, and So-Called Standards

Cry Baby Decides to Complain About His Contract Two Years Too Soon

"That situation, man, it's a tough situation for me right now because basically I'm at a point to where I feel like the position I'm in, there's a certain standard that needs to be put in place here. I feel like with me being at the top of my position I feel like that standard needs to be set and I'm the one to set that standard. And I don't think that the Red Sox are really necessarily seeing eye-to-eye with me on that subject right now. Hopefully we can get somewhere.

"We're chugging away at this thing and we want to get it done, believe me, and we can move on. At the same time, I feel a certain obligation to not only to myself and my family to make the money that I deserve, but for the game of baseball. Mariano Rivera has been doing it for the past 10 years. With me coming up behind him, I feel a certain obligation to do the same."-Jonathan Paplebon

Great, another primadonna. :rolleyes:

Paps has been a real great closer... but Mo's been doing it for over 10 years now. He's worked his way up to his salary. Granted, the Yanks have offered more than they should, but Mo was one of the best closers for a long time. Pap's been closing for 2, 3 years? That sounds very Billy Wagnerish to me.

So... with Paps saying that... you think Sox will sign an early extension, or wait until the end of his contract to resign him?

Paps has been a real great closer... but Mo's been doing it for over 10 years now. He's worked his way up to his salary. Granted, the Yanks have offered more than they should, but Mo was one of the best closers for a long time. Pap's been closing for 2, 3 years? That sounds very Billy Wagnerish to me.

So... with Paps saying that... you think Sox will sign an early extension, or wait until the end of his contract to resign him?

Theo wont budge, he never does. In Boston (for any of their teams), if you make contract demands, they're not afraid to show you the door. Pap is just a kid and will be set straight. He has 2 more years under his current contract so at the end of this year, and if Theo thinks he's earned it, they'll consider an extention then. Or....I could be totally wrong, LOL.

They didnt make any special concessions for Lowell or Schilling so I doubt they'd do it for Pap either.

Theo wont budge, he never does. In Boston (for any of their teams), if you make contract demands, they're not afraid to show you the door. Pap is just a kid and will be set straight. He has 2 more years under his current contract so at the end of this year, and if Theo thinks he's earned it, they'll consider an extention then. Or....I could be totally wrong, LOL.

They didnt make any special concessions for Lowell or Schilling so I doubt they'd do it for Pap either.

That kind of outburst is a surprise from a dude like Pap. He seemed like such an easy going (and a bit off the deep end) dude.

I'll be down in Ft. Myers next week. Hoping to catch a couple Sox games, a couple Twins games since they're right there too, and a Florida Everblades game.

I think Theo budged a little on this one :lol:http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?&articleid=1078463&format=&page=2&listingType=sox#articleFull' target="_blank">http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...sox#articleFull[/post]

Papelbon sets standard

FORT MYERS - Jonathan Papelbon [stats] should be happier now.

The Red Sox [team stats] reliever set a salary record for closers with just two-plus years of service time yesterday when he and the ballclub agreed to terms on a $775,000 paycheck for this season.

The deal is worth $25,000 more than the previous record, set by the Yankees

I think that is a fair deal. Papelbon was comparing himself to Rivera so he got essentially what Rivera got in the same point in his career. If that was all Papelbon meant by the comparison, and not meaning that he deserved what Rivera is getting paid now, Epstein didn't have to budge.

I guess it was more of a concession than a budging. If Pap was asking for more like what Rivera was getting now, Id roll over.

I guess it was more of a concession than a budging. If Pap was asking for more like what Rivera was getting now, Id roll over.

Must be from all that weight he gained in the off season, lol.

Good they're being careful with him and great that Ellsbury hit that 2 run homer.

Good they're being careful with him and great that Ellsbury hit that 2 run homer.

Maybe all that weight is why they signed Bartolo Colon... for a walking talking reminder to scare Becket into getting in shape by seeing what could happen to his career if he didn't. That or maybe they signed him to teach Becket how to pitch with a gut, though personally I think David Wells might be a better coach for that.

Barbara Bush Will Try Out for Beckett's Spot in the Rotation in Response to Billy Crystal Suiting Up for the Yankees

(At Least the Former First Lady Showed Up in Decent Shape)

BDD_BB_firstpitch_3.12.08.jpg

Barbara Bush Will Try Out for Beckett's Spot in the Rotation in Response to Billy Crystal Suiting Up for the Yankees

(At Least the Former First Lady Showed Up in Decent Shape)

BDD_BB_firstpitch_3.12.08.jpg

Mirabelli released

Email|Link|Comments (0) Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff March 13, 2008 12:23 PM

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Who knows whether the Sox will stick with Kevin Cash as their backup/Tim Wakefield catcher, but for now he appears to be the man.

The Sox haven't yet announced it, but they've released Doug Mirabelli. The veteran, who has been with the Sox since 2001, was scratched in favor of Dusty Brown for today's game. Cash has been effective in catching Wakefield and the team must have figured the younger Cash, who have scrapped for playing time in Pawtucket, would be a suitable replacement considering both catchers hit about the same.

Sad to lose Belli cause he's beena round so long but we need to start looking at the catcher position so Tek can start grooming his replacement. God move to get younger there but they still need to be developing a good prospect.