The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Mirabelli released

Email|Link|Comments (0) Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff March 13, 2008 12:23 PM

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Who knows whether the Sox will stick with Kevin Cash as their backup/Tim Wakefield catcher, but for now he appears to be the man.

The Sox haven't yet announced it, but they've released Doug Mirabelli. The veteran, who has been with the Sox since 2001, was scratched in favor of Dusty Brown for today's game. Cash has been effective in catching Wakefield and the team must have figured the younger Cash, who have scrapped for playing time in Pawtucket, would be a suitable replacement considering both catchers hit about the same.

Sad to lose Belli cause he's beena round so long but we need to start looking at the catcher position so Tek can start grooming his replacement. God move to get younger there but they still need to be developing a good prospect.

Barbara Bush Will Try Out for Beckett's Spot in the Rotation in Response to Billy Crystal Suiting Up for the Yankees

(At Least the Former First Lady Showed Up in Decent Shape)

BDD_BB_firstpitch_3.12.08.jpg

lololol

:lol:

No offense C23, but I thought this was pretty funny:

"As long as the fans enjoy it, it's great. He has a real love for the Yankees. He's going to help us in the opening of the new stadium and all that."

-- 3.13.08, Our Man Hank Steinbrenner

BDD_analyzethis_SoxNation_3.jpg

No offense C23, but I thought this was pretty funny:

"As long as the fans enjoy it, it's great. He has a real love for the Yankees. He's going to help us in the opening of the new stadium and all that."

-- 3.13.08, Our Man Hank Steinbrenner

BDD_analyzethis_SoxNation_3.jpg

Sad to lose Belli cause he's beena round so long but we need to start looking at the catcher position so Tek can start grooming his replacement. God move to get younger there but they still need to be developing a good prospect.

I was at the game yesterday and it was weird, when I picked up a lineup card before the game, Belli was listed as the starting catcher. Then he wasn't included when they announced the lineups over the PA, so I wondered what gives. Was a pretty big surprise when I got back to the hotel and find out Belli's gone.

Catcher is a bit of a concern since it's the only position where the Sox don't have a clear cut top prospect. Have to figure Tek only has a few good years left (plus isn't he a FA after this year?), so it's something to keep an eye on.

I was at the game yesterday and it was weird, when I picked up a lineup card before the game, Belli was listed as the starting catcher. Then he wasn't included when they announced the lineups over the PA, so I wondered what gives. Was a pretty big surprise when I got back to the hotel and find out Belli's gone.

Catcher is a bit of a concern since it's the only position where the Sox don't have a clear cut top prospect. Have to figure Tek only has a few good years left (plus isn't he a FA after this year?), so it's something to keep an eye on.

Id be less worried about his FA status than I would be about his age. Look for Theo to find us a good prospect or trade. What's going on with Coco?

Id be less worried about his FA status than I would be about his age. Look for Theo to find us a good prospect or trade. What's going on with Coco?

Yeah, I've always liked Belli, but Cash did a great job with Wake's knuckler this past year when Belli went down.

With the reports that Beckett won't start in Japan (I think it is a really good thing, a sore back doesn't need a 16 hr plane ride) that means that when I go out to Oakland on Spring Break I may see Beckett start. I'm going to opening night in Oakland so it is a possibility. ;)

I wish Coco would start playing so teams would actually want to trade for him again. He complained for the starting job in Boston, probably won't get it, and now may not get it anywhere else if he doesn't get on the field.

Mirabelli Made His Mark in Boston

2.17.08, Jason Varitek on Doug Mirabelli: "Doug's been an instrumental part with me and my career. He's got great eyes . . . and understanding from the bench. Great awareness of what guys are going through, hitting-wise and catching-wise, a great sounding board. He always knows what's going on, and that is such a big part of people who don't play every day."

Mirabelli Made His Mark in Boston

2.17.08, Jason Varitek on Doug Mirabelli: "Doug's been an instrumental part with me and my career. He's got great eyes . . . and understanding from the bench. Great awareness of what guys are going through, hitting-wise and catching-wise, a great sounding board. He always knows what's going on, and that is such a big part of people who don't play every day."

No offense, TSA. I have a couple of other images, but they aren't suitable for this forum. :P

Warbird, how are you enjoying down here so far?? We had a "cool front" come through... :lol: The big hype is the Yanks/Rays brawl and feud thats starting up... Yanks and Sox, Yanks and Rays, Rays and Sox... wow, what a triangle for turmoil. :)

No offense, TSA. I have a couple of other images, but they aren't suitable for this forum. :P

Warbird, how are you enjoying down here so far?? We had a "cool front" come through... :lol: The big hype is the Yanks/Rays brawl and feud thats starting up... Yanks and Sox, Yanks and Rays, Rays and Sox... wow, what a triangle for turmoil. :)

You could send them to my PM ;) .

I think we're all in for a fun ride this year in our division.

You could send them to my PM ;) .

I think we're all in for a fun ride this year in our division.

Oh jeez....

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1080459&srvc=redsox&position=3' target="_blank">http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/re...&position=3[/post]

Surprised he doesn't support the Blue Jackets, or did, while he was in Cleveland. :lol:

Haha, if its not gonna be the Canes, the Bruins are my second choice ;) .

I feel bad for Crisp cause he's been a good soldier for the Sox, but he does seem to be injury prone. The best case for him would be to get healthy and move on to another team, but I dont mind having him stay around for the Sox. Having another guy who can play the outfield (especially in Fenway) will come in handy. Not to mention Ellsbury hasnt played a whole season yet and will need to be rested frequently for the long haul. The writing is definately on the wall for Crisp as far as who the starter is but he should be able to get plenty of play time if he stays healthy, and his salary is reasonable too. Not to mention he'll be good trade bait for replacement pitching or maybe even a catching prospect.

Oh jeez....

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1080459&srvc=redsox&position=3' target="_blank">http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/re...&position=3[/post]

Surprised he doesn't support the Blue Jackets, or did, while he was in Cleveland. :lol:

Haha, if its not gonna be the Canes, the Bruins are my second choice ;) .

I feel bad for Crisp cause he's been a good soldier for the Sox, but he does seem to be injury prone. The best case for him would be to get healthy and move on to another team, but I dont mind having him stay around for the Sox. Having another guy who can play the outfield (especially in Fenway) will come in handy. Not to mention Ellsbury hasnt played a whole season yet and will need to be rested frequently for the long haul. The writing is definately on the wall for Crisp as far as who the starter is but he should be able to get plenty of play time if he stays healthy, and his salary is reasonable too. Not to mention he'll be good trade bait for replacement pitching or maybe even a catching prospect.

I really hope he doesn't end up getting that Bruins hat, I'm hoping maybe he gets a Blackhawks hat or something like that. If he could be shipped off to Chicago then I would take absolutely anything in return at this point. He's killed his trade value with these groin injuries.

TSA

any word on if the Sox are going to be wearing those cool gold-trimmed jerseys again this year during the Home Opener? I wasn't able to get myself one in 2005, but I'm hoping to get myself one this time around. I'd be more than slightly bummed if they don't do it again...

TSA

any word on if the Sox are going to be wearing those cool gold-trimmed jerseys again this year during the Home Opener? I wasn't able to get myself one in 2005, but I'm hoping to get myself one this time around. I'd be more than slightly bummed if they don't do it again...

Not a clue. Maybe they'll come back with some Japanese uni's from their trip over there.

TSA

Not a clue. Maybe they'll come back with some Japanese uni's from their trip over there.

I'd feel dirty if I owned a Sox jersey with a corporate logo on it

Now if they had road unis with Okajima or Matsuzaka's name in Japanese writing on the back.... hmmmmm

Seems to be a lot of BoSox fans on the forum. I guess Red Sox nation is larger than I thought.

Not if you believe Hank Steibrenner :lol:

Seems to be a lot of BoSox fans on the forum. I guess Red Sox nation is larger than I thought.

Not if you believe Hank Steibrenner :lol: