The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

6 am Tuesday & Wednesday mornings, everyone else getting geared up for some early morning baseball? :D

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anyone else besides MLB.com televising any of it?

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anyone else besides MLB.com televising any of it?

Both games will be on ESPN2, from what I understand.

I'm interested to see how the Rays will do this season. Pena was absolutely great last year. He really helped that team and is one of their greatest pickups I believe. Percival, Wheeler also anchor the BP and Kaz, Shields, and Garza help solidify the rotation.

BUT... The Yanks and Sox do have some new faces starting the season ;) ;) ... so it'll be interesting to see how the east shapes up. I think BAL will end up in the basement this year. Yanks and Sox duke it out over 1st and 2nd, and Jays and Rays fight for 3rd and 4th.

Yeah, We do have a better starting rotation now. I know Carlos Pena is still hitting home runs in spring training. I know ST doesn't mean much, but if he wasn't hitting them i'd be worried. I don't know if Carlos will get 46 HR again, but I expect him to at least get 30-35. I think BJ Upton is batting clean up for the Rays and Carlos is 3rd. I agree, I think the Rays will battle for 3rd in the division. They won't finish better than the Yanks/Sox this year, but hopefully in the next few years they'll be more competitive. I can't wait for David Price to become a starter. He was pitching multiple 99 mph fastballs in ST.

Counting down towards 5 hours to go. I'm pretty pshyched right now about tomorrow/today. Watch the Sox in the morning and then the Canes in the evening, how many times will we ever get to do that? If only it was on a weekend.

Counting down towards 5 hours to go. I'm pretty pshyched right now about tomorrow/today. Watch the Sox in the morning and then the Canes in the evening, how many times will we ever get to do that? If only it was on a weekend.

And......the Red Sox win! The crowd certainly got their money's worth with this one, lol. Red Sox come from behind and Brandon Moss homers to tie it up late and send it into extra innings. Manny gets to go ahead rbi's and Pap seals the deal (barely). Papelbon better learn not to shake off Tek.

Warbird, time to change the title, the regular season ois underway!!

And......the Red Sox win! The crowd certainly got their money's worth with this one, lol. Red Sox come from behind and Brandon Moss homers to tie it up late and send it into extra innings. Manny gets to go ahead rbi's and Pap seals the deal (barely). Papelbon better learn not to shake off Tek.

Warbird, time to change the title, the regular season ois underway!!

1st place baby! :D

Not an overly encouraging start for DiceK. Couldn't throw any of his breaking stuff for strikes, though he still seemed to generate a fair number of swings and misses. Gotta cut him some slack though given all the extracurricular stuff he's had going on. And how about Brandon Moss eh?

LB, what's your take on the Rays sending Evan Longoria down? Seems like most people are none too pleased about it, as Willy Aybar will be the Rays opening day 3b. Could be treat for us here in the Triangle though since it means we get to see Longoria with the Bulls some more.

Since many of us MLB fans here root for an AL East team, I thought Id post this from BostonDirtDogs (obviously Boston biased media):

The Sox Face Some Stiff Competition in Their Quest to Repeat

For the second time in four years, the Boston Red Sox are World Series champions. Like 2004, the Sox won while sweeping the Angels in the AL Divisional Series, coming back from the brink of elimination in the AL Championship Series to win the pennant, and then sweeping a National League opponent. Unlike 2004, however, this Red Sox team led the AL East essentially wire to wire during the regular season and tied for the best record in baseball. For the first time since 1915, the Red Sox can boast that they thoroughly vanquished the league.

In 2008, the AL is still violently divided between the haves and the have-nots, with only the previous playoff teams and the Tigers serious contenders for the 2008 World Series from the Junior Circuit. Most of the separation is centered around the dearth of talent moving this past offseason, with only the Miguel Cabrera/Dontrelle Willis trade in, and the Johan Santana Oakland trades out even causing a blip serious enough to overthrow the balance of power. The story of 2008 in the second tier of the league will be how these teams build from within, to prime themselves to take the reins from the current Red Sox/Yankees/Angels triumvirate that have dominated the league over the last six years. The Indians and Tigers have elbowed into the AL

Since many of us MLB fans here root for an AL East team, I thought Id post this from BostonDirtDogs (obviously Boston biased media):

The Sox Face Some Stiff Competition in Their Quest to Repeat

For the second time in four years, the Boston Red Sox are World Series champions. Like 2004, the Sox won while sweeping the Angels in the AL Divisional Series, coming back from the brink of elimination in the AL Championship Series to win the pennant, and then sweeping a National League opponent. Unlike 2004, however, this Red Sox team led the AL East essentially wire to wire during the regular season and tied for the best record in baseball. For the first time since 1915, the Red Sox can boast that they thoroughly vanquished the league.

In 2008, the AL is still violently divided between the haves and the have-nots, with only the previous playoff teams and the Tigers serious contenders for the 2008 World Series from the Junior Circuit. Most of the separation is centered around the dearth of talent moving this past offseason, with only the Miguel Cabrera/Dontrelle Willis trade in, and the Johan Santana Oakland trades out even causing a blip serious enough to overthrow the balance of power. The story of 2008 in the second tier of the league will be how these teams build from within, to prime themselves to take the reins from the current Red Sox/Yankees/Angels triumvirate that have dominated the league over the last six years. The Indians and Tigers have elbowed into the AL

New challenge to the Forum...

Has it ever happened that the very last person to throw a pitch the previous season ends up getting the first official MLB regular season win the following year? Papelbon came about as close as you can to doing that exact thing this year, but Okajima started the 10th, which gave him the win. I'm kinda curious to know

Has it ever happened that the very last person to throw a pitch the previous season ends up getting the first official MLB regular season win the following year? Papelbon came about as close as you can to doing that exact thing this year, but Okajima started the 10th, which gave him the win. I'm kinda curious to know

No clue.

No clue.

Here's the rest of the AL breakdown from Dirtdogs.com, thought it was an interesting read with the predictions at the end:

AL CENTRAL

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

When the White Sox were in the process of winning the World Series, commentators heaped praise on Kenny Williams

Here's the rest of the AL breakdown from Dirtdogs.com, thought it was an interesting read with the predictions at the end:

AL CENTRAL

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

When the White Sox were in the process of winning the World Series, commentators heaped praise on Kenny Williams

Toronto is not a better team than the Rays! Rays will finish 3rd this year. You heard it first here people! :lol:

will they finish about 500 for the first time ever?

I hope so.

and TSA where is the NL breakdown :P

as I know you will try to catch some of my Dodgers vs the Sox

this weekend (after the Canes of course ;) )

I hope so.

Haha, they didnt do one for the NL, thats one-sided media for you.

I hope so.

Haha, they didnt do one for the NL, thats one-sided media for you.

thank you, all the bandwagoners still think the Rockies will be good again.

I say they fall off the face of the earth IMO

baseball in Denver is too flukey with all those Hrs