The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

C23, Joba's throwing 101? Wow, just heard Susan talking about it on the radio, wonder if he'll stay in the pen all season?

Did Jeter get hurt already?

Yeah, strained quad muscle. My plan.. move Jeter to 1st, trade for Tulowitzki. I want the dude on the Yanks.

And yeah, Joba can throw 101. I like to see it, but not too often. Don't want him pulling a Wood, Prior, Farnsworth, etc...

Yeah, strained quad muscle. My plan.. move Jeter to 1st, trade for Tulowitzki. I want the dude on the Yanks.

And yeah, Joba can throw 101. I like to see it, but not too often. Don't want him pulling a Wood, Prior, Farnsworth, etc...

Darn all that cold weather up there. No Tuowitzki for you, we need a SS.

Darn all that cold weather up there. No Tuowitzki for you, we need a SS.

What is wrong with the Tigers?

I'm a Braves fan but seeing this team not being able to win is just weird.

Weird, seems just like old times to me. Part of it is they look like suckers a week in for taking Cabrera and Willis from Florida.

Welcome Home Red Sox!!!

Great ceremony, awesome rings, Bobby Orr, Tedi Bruschi, Bill Russell, Johnny Pesky and.......a big welcome home to Bill Buckner. Its about time :).

The new over the old banner

1207681701_0376-1.jpg

Representatives of Boston's Championship teams

1207688745_5988.jpg

A Stanley sighting....

1207683253_6847-1.jpg

Number 4-Bobby Orr

1207689224_0874.jpg

Some closure for Bill Buckner

1207683216_9246-1.jpg

Johnny Pesky raises the new banner

1207681666_8742-1.jpg

Big Papi shows off his two rings

1207688744_6083.jpg

Tailgating Fenway style

1207673729_1976.jpg

Welcome Home Red Sox!!!

Great ceremony, awesome rings, Bobby Orr, Tedi Bruschi, Bill Russell, Johnny Pesky and.......a big welcome home to Bill Buckner. Its about time :).

The new over the old banner

1207681701_0376-1.jpg

Representatives of Boston's Championship teams

1207688745_5988.jpg

A Stanley sighting....

1207683253_6847-1.jpg

Number 4-Bobby Orr

1207689224_0874.jpg

Some closure for Bill Buckner

1207683216_9246-1.jpg

Johnny Pesky raises the new banner

1207681666_8742-1.jpg

Big Papi shows off his two rings

1207688744_6083.jpg

Tailgating Fenway style

1207673729_1976.jpg

My Jays continue their ways against subpar teams...3 games they lost in the 9th inning or later, against the A's of all teams...yet when Boston comes to town they seem to fire on all cylinders, go figure.

So Lowell has landed on the DL. Oh well, this why we brought Casey here.

Sox and Yanks, here we go. Gotta catch those Orioles afterall.

How sweet is that adjustment? Youk moves to third and Casey takes first. I can see how this guy is going to become a fan favorite quickly, he really tore it up last night and was all smiles in his press conference after the game. Very classy and endearing guy.

Kind concerned about the pen (so what's new?). Hopefully getting Timlin back and releasing Corey will sure things up a little. DelCarmen seems to have settled down but Tavarez is killing me. Then again, he always did, lol.

Bring on the Yanks! Did anyone notice that NESN is using Hank's quotes dissing Red Sox Nation for their promo spots? Hilarious, sorry c23 but young Hank has already provided enough bulletin board material for the whole season and we're only 10 games in, lol. Id hate to get him and Schilling in a room together, lots of hot air :lol:

Side note: Time to make scrafices to Jobu for Papi. Anyone have a match?

So Lowell has landed on the DL. Oh well, this why we brought Casey here.

Sox and Yanks, here we go. Gotta catch those Orioles afterall.

How sweet is that adjustment? Youk moves to third and Casey takes first. I can see how this guy is going to become a fan favorite quickly, he really tore it up last night and was all smiles in his press conference after the game. Very classy and endearing guy.

Kind concerned about the pen (so what's new?). Hopefully getting Timlin back and releasing Corey will sure things up a little. DelCarmen seems to have settled down but Tavarez is killing me. Then again, he always did, lol.

Bring on the Yanks! Did anyone notice that NESN is using Hank's quotes dissing Red Sox Nation for their promo spots? Hilarious, sorry c23 but young Hank has already provided enough bulletin board material for the whole season and we're only 10 games in, lol. Id hate to get him and Schilling in a room together, lots of hot air :lol:

Side note: Time to make scrafices to Jobu for Papi. Anyone have a match?

Corey has been designated to make room for Timlin which is fine, but I still have a problem with designating Snyder over Tavarez. The only time Tavarez hasn't been awful was when he was the #5 starter last year. BTW the Casey signing is turning out huge for the Sox!!

Corey has been designated to make room for Timlin which is fine, but I still have a problem with designating Snyder over Tavarez. The only time Tavarez hasn't been awful was when he was the #5 starter last year. BTW the Casey signing is turning out huge for the Sox!!

Yes, he really is but the other move I still really like is keeping Coco. Having him and Ellsbury trade off isnt such a bad idea cause you dont want to burn out the young Ellsbury too early and Coco has been injury prone as long as been in Boston. I think both will get plenty of play time and when the trade deadline comes around, Coco will make great trade bait for a top rated pitcher. He's so good defensively and both will push each other to be even better, its a win-win if you ask me.

And how bout that hustle Manny is showing?? Ive not seen him run so hard to catch balls and run bases in years. What's up with that :lol: .

Yes, he really is but the other move I still really like is keeping Coco. Having him and Ellsbury trade off isnt such a bad idea cause you dont want to burn out the young Ellsbury too early and Coco has been injury prone as long as been in Boston. I think both will get plenty of play time and when the trade deadline comes around, Coco will make great trade bait for a top rated pitcher. He's so good defensively and both will push each other to be even better, its a win-win if you ask me.

And how bout that hustle Manny is showing?? Ive not seen him run so hard to catch balls and run bases in years. What's up with that :lol: .

The Ultimate "Reverse the Curse":

HIGH'JINX' HITS YANKEES

CREW SABOTEUR BURIED RED SOX GEAR UNDER NEW STADIUM

Baseball's hottest rivalry, featuring rhubarbs like this one involving Yankee Jorge Posada and Boston's Kevin Youkilis, just got uglier.

April 11, 2008 --

The new Yankee Stadium may be cursed!

A devilish Boston fan working on a concrete crew at the $1.3 billion stadium covertly buried a Red Sox T-shirt under what will become the visiting team's locker room to jinx the Yanks, two construction workers told The Post yesterday.

"In August, a Red Sox T-shirt was poured in a slab in the visitor's clubhouse. It's the curse of the Yankees," one worker said. "Nobody knows about it. It's in the floors, it's buried."

The workers say they now fear that they unwittingly helped hex their beloved Bronx Bombers.

"I don't want to be responsible for sinking the franchise," said a second worker, who witnessed the sabotage. "I respect the stadium."

The Post has withheld their identities because they are not authorized to speak to media.

This latest hex is above and beyond any typical ritual - like wearing a lucky shirt or hat - that fans typically do to boost their luck.

"It sounds a little unprecedented to me," said Tim Wiles, director of research at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown.

"I guess if the Yankees go 86 years in the new ballpark without a win we'll know if we are on to something," he said, referring to Boston's previous infamous losing streak after they sold Babe Ruth.

"If I was a Yankees fan, that is my house. I don't want a Red Sox [T-shirt] under my house," he added.

Chris Wertz, co-owner of the Red Sox bar Professor Thom's in the East Village, laughed at the ingenuity of the worker.

"I won't be surprised in the least bit to see that visiting locker room torn up and relaid right away," he said. "This what makes the game special for baseball fans. It's not a mean thing, but something they will take seriously."

Red Sox fans, he said, will see the buried garment as a good-luck charm, especially after years of seeing the retired numbers of four legendary players displayed in Fenway Park.

It has long displayed "9" for Ted Williams, "4" for Joe Cronin, "1" for Bobby Doerr and "8" for Carl Yastrzemski - which comes out to 9-4-18, the day before the World Series that resulted in the last Red Sox championship until 2004.

Baseball historians said these kinds of superstitions are not something to be scoffed at.

"Curses start off very easily. It's all the power of suggestion and they take on a life of their own," said Dan Gordon, co-author of the 2007 book "Haunted Baseball."

"Even the 'Curse of the Bambino' didn't really take off until the 1980s. Before then it was just hard luck," he said.

Mickey Bradley, co-author of "Haunted Baseball," said a worker is said to have buried an unknown good-luck charm in a water main trench of the current Yankee Stadium back in 1920.

"Prior to that, they never they won a World Series," he said.

Players can also bring curses to their teams.

"Look at the curse of A-Rod. The Yankees haven't won since [Alex Rodriguez] came to their game. There's probably more to that than a T-shirt," said Peter Nash, author of "Boston's Royal Rooters," a history of Red Sox fans.

"This just takes the rivalry to whole new level. If you look at 2004, the Yankees were up three games. If Boston lost that, seriously, the whole franchise would have been decimated," said Nash, who performed with the rap duo Third Bass before writing about baseball.

"I think there is a curse in effect already. Maybe the Red Sox T-shirt is like the icing on the cake, a nice little F-you from Boston," he said.

The year 2004, of course, was the year the Red Sox broke their own curse and won the World Series after beating the Yankees in the playoffs.

Still, stadiums have long had their own curses.

One of them is the 1945 "Billy Goat" curse at Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago cubs.

Legend has it that William Sianis placed a curse on the team after stadium staff refused to let him enter with his pet goat. The team hasn't played in the World Series since 1945.

Superstition in stadiums can also cut the other way and help a team.

The Texas Rangers languished in their old stadium from 1972 to 1993, until they moved into a new ballpark the following year. Since then, the team won three division titles. More recently, the Tampa Rays may be cursed by their own new stadium, which was partially built over a cemetery.

Over the past decade, the team had the worst record in all of Major League Baseball four times and finished last place in their division nine times.

As for the buried emblem of hated Boston, the Yankees say they aren't the least bit worried.

"It sounds like a tall tale, and it would take more than a Red Sox T-shirt to put a curse on the Yankees," said team spokesman Howard Rubenstein.

Pitching Match ups for the Weekend:

NYY: RHP Chien-Ming Wang (2-0, 1.38 ERA)

Wang took a no-hitter into the fifth on Sunday, when he blanked the Rays for six innings. A high pitch count kept Wang from lasting deeper into the game, but it was enough for him to earn his second win. He'll look for No. 3 against the Red Sox, a team he beat three times in five starts last year. For his career, Wang holds a 2-3 record and 6.17 ERA at Fenway Park. Wang last faced the Red Sox on Sept. 15 at Fenway Park, suffering the loss in a 10-1 rout. He surrendered five runs on nine hits in 5 2/3 innings.

BOS: RHP Clay Buchholz (0-1, 5.40 ERA)

Although his pitching line might not show it, Buchholz took a step in the right direction with his performance against the Blue Jays in his last outing. The 23-year-old right-hander used all four of his pitches effectively en route to surrendering four runs on six hits while striking out seven and walking two. If it weren't for an error by first baseman Sean Casey and a few bloop hits by Toronto's offense, those numbers would have looked even more impressive. Buchholz has never faced the Yankees during his young career but is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA in two career starts at Fenway Park.

Saturday: Yankees (Mike Mussina, 1-1, 3.09) at Red Sox (Josh Beckett, 0-1, 9.64), 3:55 p.m. ET

Sunday: Yankees (Phil Hughes, 0-1, 5.00) at Red Sox (Daisuke Matsuzaka, 2-0, 1.47), 8:05 p.m. ET

The Ultimate "Reverse the Curse":

HIGH'JINX' HITS YANKEES

CREW SABOTEUR BURIED RED SOX GEAR UNDER NEW STADIUM

Baseball's hottest rivalry, featuring rhubarbs like this one involving Yankee Jorge Posada and Boston's Kevin Youkilis, just got uglier.

April 11, 2008 --

The new Yankee Stadium may be cursed!

A devilish Boston fan working on a concrete crew at the $1.3 billion stadium covertly buried a Red Sox T-shirt under what will become the visiting team's locker room to jinx the Yanks, two construction workers told The Post yesterday.

"In August, a Red Sox T-shirt was poured in a slab in the visitor's clubhouse. It's the curse of the Yankees," one worker said. "Nobody knows about it. It's in the floors, it's buried."

The workers say they now fear that they unwittingly helped hex their beloved Bronx Bombers.

"I don't want to be responsible for sinking the franchise," said a second worker, who witnessed the sabotage. "I respect the stadium."

The Post has withheld their identities because they are not authorized to speak to media.

This latest hex is above and beyond any typical ritual - like wearing a lucky shirt or hat - that fans typically do to boost their luck.

"It sounds a little unprecedented to me," said Tim Wiles, director of research at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown.

"I guess if the Yankees go 86 years in the new ballpark without a win we'll know if we are on to something," he said, referring to Boston's previous infamous losing streak after they sold Babe Ruth.

"If I was a Yankees fan, that is my house. I don't want a Red Sox [T-shirt] under my house," he added.

Chris Wertz, co-owner of the Red Sox bar Professor Thom's in the East Village, laughed at the ingenuity of the worker.

"I won't be surprised in the least bit to see that visiting locker room torn up and relaid right away," he said. "This what makes the game special for baseball fans. It's not a mean thing, but something they will take seriously."

Red Sox fans, he said, will see the buried garment as a good-luck charm, especially after years of seeing the retired numbers of four legendary players displayed in Fenway Park.

It has long displayed "9" for Ted Williams, "4" for Joe Cronin, "1" for Bobby Doerr and "8" for Carl Yastrzemski - which comes out to 9-4-18, the day before the World Series that resulted in the last Red Sox championship until 2004.

Baseball historians said these kinds of superstitions are not something to be scoffed at.

"Curses start off very easily. It's all the power of suggestion and they take on a life of their own," said Dan Gordon, co-author of the 2007 book "Haunted Baseball."

"Even the 'Curse of the Bambino' didn't really take off until the 1980s. Before then it was just hard luck," he said.

Mickey Bradley, co-author of "Haunted Baseball," said a worker is said to have buried an unknown good-luck charm in a water main trench of the current Yankee Stadium back in 1920.

"Prior to that, they never they won a World Series," he said.

Players can also bring curses to their teams.

"Look at the curse of A-Rod. The Yankees haven't won since [Alex Rodriguez] came to their game. There's probably more to that than a T-shirt," said Peter Nash, author of "Boston's Royal Rooters," a history of Red Sox fans.

"This just takes the rivalry to whole new level. If you look at 2004, the Yankees were up three games. If Boston lost that, seriously, the whole franchise would have been decimated," said Nash, who performed with the rap duo Third Bass before writing about baseball.

"I think there is a curse in effect already. Maybe the Red Sox T-shirt is like the icing on the cake, a nice little F-you from Boston," he said.

The year 2004, of course, was the year the Red Sox broke their own curse and won the World Series after beating the Yankees in the playoffs.

Still, stadiums have long had their own curses.

One of them is the 1945 "Billy Goat" curse at Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago cubs.

Legend has it that William Sianis placed a curse on the team after stadium staff refused to let him enter with his pet goat. The team hasn't played in the World Series since 1945.

Superstition in stadiums can also cut the other way and help a team.

The Texas Rangers languished in their old stadium from 1972 to 1993, until they moved into a new ballpark the following year. Since then, the team won three division titles. More recently, the Tampa Rays may be cursed by their own new stadium, which was partially built over a cemetery.

Over the past decade, the team had the worst record in all of Major League Baseball four times and finished last place in their division nine times.

As for the buried emblem of hated Boston, the Yankees say they aren't the least bit worried.

"It sounds like a tall tale, and it would take more than a Red Sox T-shirt to put a curse on the Yankees," said team spokesman Howard Rubenstein.

Pitching Match ups for the Weekend:

NYY: RHP Chien-Ming Wang (2-0, 1.38 ERA)

Wang took a no-hitter into the fifth on Sunday, when he blanked the Rays for six innings. A high pitch count kept Wang from lasting deeper into the game, but it was enough for him to earn his second win. He'll look for No. 3 against the Red Sox, a team he beat three times in five starts last year. For his career, Wang holds a 2-3 record and 6.17 ERA at Fenway Park. Wang last faced the Red Sox on Sept. 15 at Fenway Park, suffering the loss in a 10-1 rout. He surrendered five runs on nine hits in 5 2/3 innings.

BOS: RHP Clay Buchholz (0-1, 5.40 ERA)

Although his pitching line might not show it, Buchholz took a step in the right direction with his performance against the Blue Jays in his last outing. The 23-year-old right-hander used all four of his pitches effectively en route to surrendering four runs on six hits while striking out seven and walking two. If it weren't for an error by first baseman Sean Casey and a few bloop hits by Toronto's offense, those numbers would have looked even more impressive. Buchholz has never faced the Yankees during his young career but is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA in two career starts at Fenway Park.

Saturday: Yankees (Mike Mussina, 1-1, 3.09) at Red Sox (Josh Beckett, 0-1, 9.64), 3:55 p.m. ET

Sunday: Yankees (Phil Hughes, 0-1, 5.00) at Red Sox (Daisuke Matsuzaka, 2-0, 1.47), 8:05 p.m. ET

Man... Wang vs Buchholz, Hughes vs Dice K. Intense. Beckett will beat Moose. Moose is getting old and unreliable. Sorry Moose.

And the story just keeps getting better....

Workers dig furiously to rid new Yanks stadium of Red Sox jersey

Crisis, and curse, averted.

It took about five hours, but the Red Sox jersey that was embedded in the concrete of the Yankees' new stadium to place a curse on the New York franchise has been unearthed with jackhammers.

Constructions workers dug through the concrete at the new Yankee stadium to find a jersey of Boston's David Ortiz.

Earlier this week, a construction worker who is a Boston fan working on the concrete crew at the $1.3 billion new Yankee Stadium buried a Red Sox shirt in with the concrete foundation, in the hopes of jinxing the New York Yankees' new home, the New York Post reported.

The newspaper reported Sunday that two workers approached a construction manager with what they thought was the location of the jersey. After digging a two-foot by three-foot hole, the jersey was found.

"They absolutely pinpointed that if it was in the ground, that's where it was," Yankees spokeswoman Alice McGillion told the newspaper.

Initially the Yankees denied the jersey was ever buried in the footings of the new stadium. But clearly the Yankees brass is happier now with the possibility of a curse gone.

"I hope his co-workers kick the [expletive] out of him," Yankees co-chairperson Hal Steinbrenner said.

The newspaper said the jersey felt like a filthy rag, but the word "Red" was clearly visible.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.

There are precedents for fans strategically burying trinkets for good luck. During the construction of the ice rink for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, a worker laid a Canadian one-dollar coin (known as a "loonie") at center ice. Canada went on to win its first gold medal in men's ice hockey since 1952.

And Mickey Bradley, a co-author of "Haunted Baseball," told the New York Post that a worker was said to have buried an unknown good-luck charm in a water main trench of the current Yankee Stadium back in 1920.

"Prior to that, they never won a World Series," he told the newspaper.

The Yankees went on to win 26 world championships since.

Hmmm...maybe now Papi will come out of his slump because it was his jersey that was buried. :lol:

And the story just keeps getting better....

Workers dig furiously to rid new Yanks stadium of Red Sox jersey

Crisis, and curse, averted.

It took about five hours, but the Red Sox jersey that was embedded in the concrete of the Yankees' new stadium to place a curse on the New York franchise has been unearthed with jackhammers.

Constructions workers dug through the concrete at the new Yankee stadium to find a jersey of Boston's David Ortiz.

Earlier this week, a construction worker who is a Boston fan working on the concrete crew at the $1.3 billion new Yankee Stadium buried a Red Sox shirt in with the concrete foundation, in the hopes of jinxing the New York Yankees' new home, the New York Post reported.

The newspaper reported Sunday that two workers approached a construction manager with what they thought was the location of the jersey. After digging a two-foot by three-foot hole, the jersey was found.

"They absolutely pinpointed that if it was in the ground, that's where it was," Yankees spokeswoman Alice McGillion told the newspaper.

Initially the Yankees denied the jersey was ever buried in the footings of the new stadium. But clearly the Yankees brass is happier now with the possibility of a curse gone.

"I hope his co-workers kick the [expletive] out of him," Yankees co-chairperson Hal Steinbrenner said.

The newspaper said the jersey felt like a filthy rag, but the word "Red" was clearly visible.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.

There are precedents for fans strategically burying trinkets for good luck. During the construction of the ice rink for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, a worker laid a Canadian one-dollar coin (known as a "loonie") at center ice. Canada went on to win its first gold medal in men's ice hockey since 1952.

And Mickey Bradley, a co-author of "Haunted Baseball," told the New York Post that a worker was said to have buried an unknown good-luck charm in a water main trench of the current Yankee Stadium back in 1920.

"Prior to that, they never won a World Series," he told the newspaper.

The Yankees went on to win 26 world championships since.

Hmmm...maybe now Papi will come out of his slump because it was his jersey that was buried. :lol:

I thought Hughes would have done better tonight. Just horrible by the Yanks tonight. Dice K has been good, but we really should have capitalized on chances. Hughes/Ohlendorf and Molina wow... 6-1, and I most of those were simply Hughes/Ohle's fault.

I thought Hughes would have done better tonight. Just horrible by the Yanks tonight. Dice K has been good, but we really should have capitalized on chances. Hughes/Ohlendorf and Molina wow... 6-1, and I most of those were simply Hughes/Ohle's fault.

Just wasnt his night. Yankees are really missing Posada behind the plate, he may have been able to settle Hughs down.

Just wasnt his night. Yankees are really missing Posada behind the plate, he may have been able to settle Hughs down.