The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

I really hope Lester gets a win tonight. Not just cause we really need a win (which we do), but I want to see his confidence build so he'll be better set for the playoffs. Can't wait for the West coast run to end, I'm exausted!

Ive been saying for a couple of months that the Angels make me very nervous, they played awesome last night and the Sox will have to be a lot better (*coughWillieMoandLugocough*).

Toronto came out flying and seem to be dominating the Yanks tonight, thank goodness. ARod is out tonight, no bean ball needed.

Abreu ejected and Wang pulled after 3.....I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying this :P .

So thats what happened huh? I didn't watch tonight, and when I scrolled to the score, 14-2 just made me wince.

So the night begins with Lugo getting a hit and then promptly getting picked off by the catcher. Oh I've got a real good feeling about this one.

edit- I've just come to the realization that Lugo is the like the Sox version of Tanabe, only with an albatross of a contract. He does good things occaisionally, but man the dude just can't get out of his own way sometimes.

So the night begins with Lugo getting a hit and then promptly getting picked off by the catcher. Oh I've got a real good feeling about this one.

edit- I've just come to the realization that Lugo is the like the Sox version of Tanabe, only with an albatross of a contract. He does good things occaisionally, but man the dude just can't get out of his own way sometimes.

That was just the beginning for him last night :rolleyes: . Pretty good comparison Warbird, he makes some stupid plays but then follows it up with something good. Last night he dropped a pretty easy pop-up and got charged with an error in the 8th, but followed it up with an insurance run in the 9th. I stayed up till the bitter end and at least we got the hard fought win. Unfortunately for me, the record that was broken last night was the longest game in Angel Stadium, 4 hours and 3 min. Baltimore (and the East coast) will be a welcome sight on Friday. Lester's night did not go well but Timlin, Oki, Gagne and Pap got it done. This bullpen could carry us well into the playoffs, quite the opposite of last year. I liked that Francona wasn't afraid to pull Lester and Tavarez quickly rather than let the hole get too deep. Sometimes I think he waits too long and with our bullpen, there's plenty of back up.

Side not to the game: Pedroia must have decided they needed some new karma and shaved off his Youk-beard. It worked.

What is the significance to all the rope necklaces the players wear around their necks? It started with Oki, then Beckett and now they all seem to wearing one or two of them. Thought it might be some Japanese tradition they're all picking up on.

That was just the beginning for him last night :rolleyes: . Pretty good comparison Warbird, he makes some stupid plays but then follows it up with something good. Last night he dropped a pretty easy pop-up and got charged with an error in the 8th, but followed it up with an insurance run in the 9th. I stayed up till the bitter end and at least we got the hard fought win. Unfortunately for me, the record that was broken last night was the longest game in Angel Stadium, 4 hours and 3 min. Baltimore (and the East coast) will be a welcome sight on Friday. Lester's night did not go well but Timlin, Oki, Gagne and Pap got it done. This bullpen could carry us well into the playoffs, quite the opposite of last year. I liked that Francona wasn't afraid to pull Lester and Tavarez quickly rather than let the hole get too deep. Sometimes I think he waits too long and with our bullpen, there's plenty of back up.

Side not to the game: Pedroia must have decided they needed some new karma and shaved off his Youk-beard. It worked.

What is the significance to all the rope necklaces the players wear around their necks? It started with Oki, then Beckett and now they all seem to wearing one or two of them. Thought it might be some Japanese tradition they're all picking up on.

That was just the beginning for him last night . Pretty good comparison Warbird, he makes some stupid plays but then follows it up with something good. Last night he dropped a pretty easy pop-up and got charged with an error in the 8th, but followed it up with an insurance run in the 9th. I stayed up till the bitter end and at least we got the hard fought win. Unfortunately for me, the record that was broken last night was the longest game in Angel Stadium, 4 hours and 3 min. Baltimore (and the East coast) will be a welcome sight on Friday. Lester's night did not go well but Timlin, Oki, Gagne and Pap got it done. This bullpen could carry us well into the playoffs, quite the opposite of last year. I liked that Francona wasn't afraid to pull Lester and Tavarez quickly rather than let the hole get too deep. Sometimes I think he waits too long and with our bullpen, there's plenty of back up.
I must confess that I started watching other games once it was 3-0. As feeble and un-clutch as out bats had been in that series, 4 runs looked like too tall an order, so I figured I'd save myself the stress. When I checked back later and saw we'd tied it up, I figured I shouldn't mess with the karma so I kept watching other games. I finally gave in to temptation though in the 8th when I saw it was 8-6.

Being back on the east coast is the good news about being in Balt. The bad news of course is that we can't watch the games.

Being back on the east coast is the good news about being in Balt. The bad news of course is that we can't watch the games.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :angry:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :angry:

That was just the beginning for him last night . Pretty good comparison Warbird, he makes some stupid plays but then follows it up with something good. Last night he dropped a pretty easy pop-up and got charged with an error in the 8th, but followed it up with an insurance run in the 9th. I stayed up till the bitter end and at least we got the hard fought win. Unfortunately for me, the record that was broken last night was the longest game in Angel Stadium, 4 hours and 3 min. Baltimore (and the East coast) will be a welcome sight on Friday. Lester's night did not go well but Timlin, Oki, Gagne and Pap got it done. This bullpen could carry us well into the playoffs, quite the opposite of last year. I liked that Francona wasn't afraid to pull Lester and Tavarez quickly rather than let the hole get too deep. Sometimes I think he waits too long and with our bullpen, there's plenty of back up.
I must confess that I started watching other games once it was 3-0. As feeble and un-clutch as out bats had been in that series, 4 runs looked like too tall an order, so I figured I'd save myself the stress. When I checked back later and saw we'd tied it up, I figured I shouldn't mess with the karma so I kept watching other games. I finally gave in to temptation though in the 8th when I saw it was 8-6.

I can watch but will probably not be home in time to see any of it. Hope they win.

My Dodgers suck now so I have to see at least one good team I like

Its on MASN, thankfully.

Keep the faith Medford, Dodgers will come around if they can get healthy.

Edit: *edit* is wrong with Gagne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its on MASN, thankfully.

Keep the faith Medford, Dodgers will come around if they can get healthy.

Edit: *edit* is wrong with Gagne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okijima loss??? :o

Good to see Hughes and Joba do what they've been praised to do. If those two can continue this, they are going to be awesome. See the Dodgers beat the Cards.. same boat I'm in, huh Med? ;) Just keep the faith, they/we can still make it.

Just an example of how the media/tabloids tries to stir up controversy. Also, I didn't know Chipper and A Rod go back to high school together. Interesting! If Chipper is "buds" with A Rod, then maybe he is not such a bad fellow after all.

A-Rod Not Upset With Chipper's Comments

By TOM WITHERS

AP sports Writer

Posted: Aug. 10 7:41 p.m.

Updated: Aug. 10 9:33 p.m.

CLEVELAND

Poor Beckett, 8 and 2/3 innings pitched and yanked. Sorry Sox's fans I had to make the call to the pen. Couldn't let my fantasy oppenent rack up to many points haha.

Poor Beckett, 8 and 2/3 innings pitched and yanked. Sorry Sox's fans I had to make the call to the pen. Couldn't let my fantasy oppenent rack up to many points haha.

Poor coaching decision if you ask me. Why Beckett stayed out for the ninth is just stupid. Quince, you should have called the pen earlier to shut the door and keep Beckett's shut out in tact.

Poor coaching decision if you ask me. Why Beckett stayed out for the ninth is just stupid. Quince, you should have called the pen earlier to shut the door and keep Beckett's shut out in tact.

Holy crap! Yankees are 4 games back in the AL East! And TIED in the Wild Card. :o

Edit: I couldn't find my post from before, but I can't believe we're 4 behind. The baseball gods are going to do some type of voodoo magic on us now and stop the streak. :( And as TSA and Warbird have Sox, I figured I'd show some support for Yanks.

Gagne is horrible. Its just that simple. I don't know what to think about Francona anymore either. Okajima has been demoted since Gag-me has been brought over because of what??? Was his ERA just too low for Theo and Francona to see so they just decided the 'pen needed help.

The Sox have a 3 headed monster in the rotation with Beckett/DiceK/Schilling and still have a great BP. The offense gets 10 hits a game, but can never get 5 or 6 runs anymore and Tito Francona is trying to kiss up to Theo my playing Gag-me in a 2 run game with a man on base. He needs to grow a pair. :rolleyes:

Here's what I think they need to do:

1. Put Gagne on DL, demote him, waive him, whatever. He is just horrible. Okajima was great before we got all this Gagne mess, now Okajima isn't going to be able to pitch the 8th anymore??? What is that about. Francona has done a horrific job of managing this team post All Star break.

2. Fire Magadan. If Theo really wants to gain back some sort of trust in the fan base then they need to fire the guy who is 'overseeing' the hitting on this team. Papa Jack is just a phone call away. Who knows if it'll help, but something needs to change with this team's run production. All the men in the world who can get on base doesn't mean a thing unless you can get 'em in.

3. Put Ortiz on DL. Plain and simple. He is not producing right now and he is hurting the team. With Drew starting to hit we can afford it more now. Put him on the DL, DH Manny and put Ellsbury in LF.

4. Francona needs to go to Okajima and make sure he's not mad. Okajima was great for this team and it looks like Theo/Tito don't have any loyalty at all.

5. Dump Snyder, call up Lopez. Snyder has been decent this year, but Lopez is better.

Long term though I think they need to see how Lester does next start. If he isn't good again against a bad team like the DRays then call up Buchollz for the double header against the Halos and put Lester in the minors. The kid is still only 23 and is recovering from cancer. Remember Paps was like 25 when he was called up so Lester just needs a little more time to develop.

If we put this team on the field against the Yanks next series with Ortiz not hitting and Gagne still pitching then it'd be a slaughter. Theo and Tito need to grow a pair and stop trying to save their butts and need realize they made a mistake.

The bullpen is still the best in baseball and with Snyder/Gagne gone and Lopez up and MDC/Oki/Paps it'll be fine.

We do seem to be the masters at hitting a two-out, bases empty double usually followed by a weak grounder or soft fly ball. It looked like Papi had turned the corner back in the Seattle series, but he's gone right back down the crapper since. I agree he should be DL'd, but with our Incredible Shrinking Lead I'd be surprised if they actually did.

There's the idea that Gagne's suckitude is because he's having trouble adjusting to not being a closer. I don't buy it. I'm no psychologist, but what I do know is that he's a pitcher, and his job is to get guys out, whether its the 8th inning or the 9th.

We do seem to be the masters at hitting a two-out, bases empty double usually followed by a weak grounder or soft fly ball. It looked like Papi had turned the corner back in the Seattle series, but he's gone right back down the crapper since. I agree he should be DL'd, but with our Incredible Shrinking Lead I'd be surprised if they actually did.

There's the idea that Gagne's suckitude is because he's having trouble adjusting to not being a closer. I don't buy it. I'm no psychologist, but what I do know is that he's a pitcher, and his job is to get guys out, whether its the 8th inning or the 9th.

Im glad I didn't go to Baltimore. That's all I have to say :angry:

Im glad I didn't go to Baltimore. That's all I have to say :angry:

I'm glad we didn't get Gagne now. ;) Of course, people can always turn things around, just hopefully it wont come back and bite us in the butt.

Also, WilyMo and Kei Igawa have cleared waivers and can now be traded! Woohoo! Padres picked up Igawa, now the Yanks just have to release him/trade him for something good.