The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

WOW! Loved the Rays/Angels game last night. I watched from the 8th on, and was stunned that Shields 1 hitted them. And Longoria with that homer.

Good job Asylum and Buzz! Thats why I like the Rays. They were like the Canes. You can only be so bad until so much good comes forward.

I hope the Yanks or the Rays take the East. I know I'd be in Tampa for a bunch of those games and partying if that were to ever happen. I won't dare goto Miami to help celebrate the Marlins whatsoever.

About the Barry Bonds rumor, I don't see why any team would be interested in him at all. He'll want too much money, he's old/slow/injury prone, and on top of all that he's Barry Bonds and I don't see why any team would want to deal with his mess. It also takes a roster spot away from a young player that could blossom into a future star for the team.

About the Barry Bonds rumor, I don't see why any team would be interested in him at all. He'll want too much money, he's old/slow/injury prone, and on top of all that he's Barry Bonds and I don't see why any team would want to deal with his mess. It also takes a roster spot away from a young player that could blossom into a future star for the team.

Im the one that posted the rumor I heard on XM but the next day after I heard it, they interviewed someone from the organization who quickly squashed that rumor.

I think you're right Ryan, and until Bonds's legal issues get resolved one way or another, there's not going to be a team willing to take on all that baggage.

Im the one that posted the rumor I heard on XM but the next day after I heard it, they interviewed someone from the organization who quickly squashed that rumor.

I think you're right Ryan, and until Bonds's legal issues get resolved one way or another, there's not going to be a team willing to take on all that baggage.

Lugo's night off, legit or saving face? Lowrie homers (first MLB HR), hits 3 for 4 and has NO errors. Oh, and Cora is almost ready to be activated off the DL.

Woozy Lugo gets night off

Shortstop took knee to head on forceout in Friday's loss

By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- A woozy Julio Lugo was scratched from the Red Sox's lineup on Saturday night after taking a knee to the head on a forceout the previous evening.

Manager Terry Francona originally had Lugo in the lineup at shortstop, but switched to Jed Lowrie. Lugo was scheduled to undergo some precautionary medical tests as the Red Sox prepared to take on the Twins.

"I was still dizzy when I got up [saturday morning]," Lugo said. "I didn't know I was going to feel like that today."

Lugo took the blow to the head in the sixth inning on Friday night as he was forced out at second. He said he experienced initial dizziness, but it eventually went away and he managed to finish the game. At one point, Lugo said he thought he might have to come out.

Lugo's headache didn't affect his sense of humor. When asked if the doctor might test him by asking what city he's in, Lugo smiled and said: "I'm in Detroit."

Lugo expressed confidence that he'll be fine with a night of rest.

"He'll get examined," Francona said. "With a mild concussion ... we've probably all had them."

Lugo's night off, legit or saving face? Lowrie homers (first MLB HR), hits 3 for 4 and has NO errors. Oh, and Cora is almost ready to be activated off the DL.

Woozy Lugo gets night off

Shortstop took knee to head on forceout in Friday's loss

By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- A woozy Julio Lugo was scratched from the Red Sox's lineup on Saturday night after taking a knee to the head on a forceout the previous evening.

Manager Terry Francona originally had Lugo in the lineup at shortstop, but switched to Jed Lowrie. Lugo was scheduled to undergo some precautionary medical tests as the Red Sox prepared to take on the Twins.

"I was still dizzy when I got up [saturday morning]," Lugo said. "I didn't know I was going to feel like that today."

Lugo took the blow to the head in the sixth inning on Friday night as he was forced out at second. He said he experienced initial dizziness, but it eventually went away and he managed to finish the game. At one point, Lugo said he thought he might have to come out.

Lugo's headache didn't affect his sense of humor. When asked if the doctor might test him by asking what city he's in, Lugo smiled and said: "I'm in Detroit."

Lugo expressed confidence that he'll be fine with a night of rest.

"He'll get examined," Francona said. "With a mild concussion ... we've probably all had them."

I feel bad for Lugo, I want him to do well like when he was in Tampa with NO Pressure

I like lowrie though

as for my Dodgers :unsure: they are so scitzo. One week great now not so .

oh well.

Im indifferent about Lugo. To me, he's just another "might have been" who came after the huge mistake of not re-signing Orlando Cabrerra. Theo doesnt make too many mistakes that cant be fixed but that was one big one that doesnt seem to want to go away. Theo doesnt get a pass for the blunder but folks do move on and hope the revolving door at SS works out, unlike JR who is still taking a beating here on another forum for some mistakes. I guess GM's arent allowed mistakes in Hockey over a period of time like in other sports :rolleyes: .

At least we have two viable options (Lowrie and Cora) for when Lugo falters and need to re-group.

Wake had a bad outing, after what was an outstanding performance the against the Tigers. Thats the only thing that really bugs me a bout the knuckleballer, its either on the money....or horrible.

Is it time for Mike Timlin to retire? I love the guy, he's been in that bullpen for as long as I can remember and helped to win 2 Championships but does he have anything left? The minute Tito brought him in last night, I just knew.... In the end, it was the run he gave up that cost us the game.

Anyway, this team really looks great and being down 6 runs means nothing to them. If they can straighten up the bullpen, they're right on track (with Tampa right in their rear view mirror). They released Abe Alvarez traded Brian Corey to the Padres so obviously Theo is working on something. And I think I'd like Coco to stay the whole season. He's getting plenty of play time, gives us so many options for the field and he doesnt cost a ton.

Im indifferent about Lugo. To me, he's just another "might have been" who came after the huge mistake of not re-signing Orlando Cabrerra. Theo doesnt make too many mistakes that cant be fixed but that was one big one that doesnt seem to want to go away. Theo doesnt get a pass for the blunder but folks do move on and hope the revolving door at SS works out, unlike JR who is still taking a beating here on another forum for some mistakes. I guess GM's arent allowed mistakes in Hockey over a period of time like in other sports :rolleyes: .

At least we have two viable options (Lowrie and Cora) for when Lugo falters and need to re-group.

Wake had a bad outing, after what was an outstanding performance the against the Tigers. Thats the only thing that really bugs me a bout the knuckleballer, its either on the money....or horrible.

Is it time for Mike Timlin to retire? I love the guy, he's been in that bullpen for as long as I can remember and helped to win 2 Championships but does he have anything left? The minute Tito brought him in last night, I just knew.... In the end, it was the run he gave up that cost us the game.

Anyway, this team really looks great and being down 6 runs means nothing to them. If they can straighten up the bullpen, they're right on track (with Tampa right in their rear view mirror). They released Abe Alvarez traded Brian Corey to the Padres so obviously Theo is working on something. And I think I'd like Coco to stay the whole season. He's getting plenty of play time, gives us so many options for the field and he doesnt cost a ton.

Julien Tavarez designated for assignment

The Red Sox today activated first baseman Sean Casey today from the disabled list. To make room for Casey, the team designated pitcher Julian Tavarez for assignment. The team now has 10 days to either work out a trade for Tavarez or grant him his outright release.

As of yesterday, the Red Sox had still been talking with the Rockies about a deal for Tavarez, who is 0-1 with a 6.39 ERA after he allowed an unearned run in 1 1/3 innings last night.

Wonder what Theo has brewing :huh:

Julien Tavarez designated for assignment

The Red Sox today activated first baseman Sean Casey today from the disabled list. To make room for Casey, the team designated pitcher Julian Tavarez for assignment. The team now has 10 days to either work out a trade for Tavarez or grant him his outright release.

As of yesterday, the Red Sox had still been talking with the Rockies about a deal for Tavarez, who is 0-1 with a 6.39 ERA after he allowed an unearned run in 1 1/3 innings last night.

Wonder what Theo has brewing :huh:

Eeks....after a spanking by the Twins, the Rays are making me a little nervous. C'mon Theo, pay attention:

ae449a.jpg

Eeks....after a spanking by the Twins, the Rays are making me a little nervous. C'mon Theo, pay attention:

ae449a.jpg

ae449a.jpg

The Sox will be fine TSA and the Rays are not going to keep this up all season long IMO.

The Sox starters however need to focus on throwing strikes better, Way too many walks

for my liking and that is getting them in trouble. Only Beckett/Wake have not been that wild.

Dice K (has been lucky it has not cost him), Buckholz and Lester have all had their

fair share of wildness. It has to stop.

just my humble opinion. do the other Sox fans here agree?

I think the Sox will be fine too. Lester and Bucholtz will settle in but because they're young, I think consistency may be an issue for a while. With Tavarez gone now and Timlin struggling, Theo needs to adress the void of a long reliever so the bullpen doesnt get over worked. Sure would be nice to have one more starter so the young guys can get a break if needed *cough Schilling cough*.

DiceK will be fine, Wake will have some good and some bad.

For some good news, Kevin Cash and Sean Casey have been great additions to this team and Im still in the camp of not trading Coco unless some great pitching deal comes along.

Oh, and I think the Rays are the real deal. Their starting pitching is really strong and they can hit too, they werent going to sit in the cellar forever.

I think the Sox will be fine too. Lester and Bucholtz will settle in but because they're young, I think consistency may be an issue for a while. With Tavarez gone now and Timlin struggling, Theo needs to adress the void of a long reliever so the bullpen doesnt get over worked. Sure would be nice to have one more starter so the young guys can get a break if needed *cough Schilling cough*.

For some good news, Kevin Cash and Sean Casey have been great additions to this team and Im still in the camp of not trading Coco unless some great pitching deal comes along.

Oh, and I think the Rays are the real deal. Their starting pitching is really strong and they can hit too, they werent going to sit in the cellar forever.

the Real Deal yes, but with 85-88 wins, which would be a huge improvement for the Arizona Cardinals of baseball (70 wins is their best ever)

the Sox should win 91-95 games still with the talent.

C23 I think as a Yanks fan it is time to be concerned if the pitching does not get better.

I would bring up Kennedy and let him go. Hughes being hurt is not helping.

Were is the guy who went like 10-0 for you 2-3 years ago. I cant remember his name.

they need something like that this season if they want their record streak of making the playoffs to continue.

toronto has great pitching to me but cant hit at all or they would be a serious threat in the AL East IMO

btw my Dodgers are too schitzo for me and will go like 82-80 IMO. (God I hope I am wrong but they

just get my hopes up and then bamm lose 4 straight at home, not good )

the Real Deal yes, but with 85-88 wins, which would be a huge improvement for the Arizona Cardinals of baseball (70 wins is their best ever)

C23 I think as a Yanks fan it is time to be concerned if the pitching does not get better.

Were is the guy who went like 10-0 for you 2-3 years ago. I cant remember his name.

they need something like that this season if they want their record streak of making the playoffs to continue.

toronto has great pitching to me but cant hit at all or they would be a serious threat in the AL East IMO

btw my Dodgers are too schitzo for me and will go like 82-80 IMO. (God I hope I am wrong but they

Dodgers are an enigma to me but truthfully, I dont follow them closely enough to be able to guess what their problems are.

As a baseball fan, I think this could be the year that the Yankees do a semi-blow up of the team. They have tons of young talent but something isnt right there, and hasnt been for awhile now. Just seems to me they need a fresh start and new identity, its just too bad that things are tough for them in the final year at Yankee stadium.

...But as a Red Sox Fan, the Yankees always seem find a way to get themselves back in the race somehow, so I think I'll just enjoy their struggles right now (sorry C23) since it probably wont last.

I think the ALEast has the chance to be the strongest division in the league this season if the Rays can keep up and Toronto finds some offense. The O's showed they can play by coming strong out of the gate, Im just not sure if they can find that level again though.

Dodgers are an enigma to me but truthfully, I dont follow them closely enough to be able to guess what their problems are.

As a baseball fan, I think this could be the year that the Yankees do a semi-blow up of the team. They have tons of young talent but something isnt right there, and hasnt been for awhile now. Just seems to me they need a fresh start and new identity, its just too bad that things are tough for them in the final year at Yankee stadium.

...But as a Red Sox Fan, the Yankees always seem find a way to get themselves back in the race somehow, so I think I'll just enjoy their struggles right now (sorry C23) since it probably wont last.

I think the ALEast has the chance to be the strongest division in the league this season if the Rays can keep up and Toronto finds some offense. The O's showed they can play by coming strong out of the gate, Im just not sure if they can find that level again though.

While the Yanks blow chances here and there right now, they ALWAYS find a way to make it to October. That was with Torre though. We'll see how Giriadi will do.

Aaron Small was the dude that wen 10 and 0. And that was truly luck because he had been in the minors for a majority of his career, and was shortly released soon after his perfect record was spoiled.

The thing thats killing the Yankees right now is all the players that are seriously overpaid and older or injured. Pavano, Giambi come to mind. Mussina. Abreu.. I think our rookies will be ok. Sometimes you need to fall flat on your face, admit to failure, and go out and try harder next time. They'll learn from their mistakes and do well. I wasn't expecting for a miracle this season. I thought for sure Wang and Pettitte would be the staples of our rotation, with Hughes at least doing some what good.

I seriously hope we trade Abreu and some other older/more expensive talent to the NL or another division come Trade Deadline. It would be nice to know that we're not going to the playoffs, this way we could for sure trade away and teams would know that we won't be a threat to get into the playoffs. On the other hand, not make the playoffs?!?!?

I should be GM for a week.

While the Yanks blow chances here and there right now, they ALWAYS find a way to make it to October. That was with Torre though. We'll see how Giriadi will do.

Aaron Small was the dude that wen 10 and 0. And that was truly luck because he had been in the minors for a majority of his career, and was shortly released soon after his perfect record was spoiled.

The thing thats killing the Yankees right now is all the players that are seriously overpaid and older or injured. Pavano, Giambi come to mind. Mussina. Abreu.. I think our rookies will be ok. Sometimes you need to fall flat on your face, admit to failure, and go out and try harder next time. They'll learn from their mistakes and do well. I wasn't expecting for a miracle this season. I thought for sure Wang and Pettitte would be the staples of our rotation, with Hughes at least doing some what good.

I seriously hope we trade Abreu and some other older/more expensive talent to the NL or another division come Trade Deadline. It would be nice to know that we're not going to the playoffs, this way we could for sure trade away and teams would know that we won't be a threat to get into the playoffs. On the other hand, not make the playoffs?!?!?

I should be GM for a week.

lol Aaron Small, I forgot who it was :P

Your team needs to step back for one season and then reload next year when healthier and bringing in new options with some of the young guys getting better.

I still think you guys make a run like always IMO.

Torre is not helping my inconsistent Dodgers and the Sox are injured big time.

the first place Devil Rays I mean Rays. credit is due but will they keep it up?