The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ill4mation

Was I a bad fan?

It depends. If you were obstructing their view then you were probably being pretty bad, but if you weren't and were just leaning forward to see over the wall then I dont see a real problem with it, though in a perfect world you probably could have been more polite then yelling at them.

We sit in that same row in a different section. The wall does block some of the view if you sit completely back in your seat. Basically you have no choice but to lean forward to see. This issue probably occurs all over the arena with people sitting behind and in the Mezzanine seats.

We had someone ask us to sit back one game and we compromised as best we could. Last game during an intermission we experimented by having one person sit in the higher seat and someone sit in the lower seat. What we found out was that if the upper person just leans forward a bit, there is no way to block the ice from their view, no matter how far you lean forward.

Basically, in your case and ours, they want to be able to sit back in their seat, but don't want to make the effort to lean forward so that you can also see. Nobody else ever complains, so I can only assume that this particular person couldn't be bothered to make the effort. You probably could have tried to explain the situation to them during a break instead of getting mad. Then again, some people can't be reasoned with, but it never hurts to try.

Basically the designers of the Mezzanine had to make the wall high enough so you won't go tumbling over ( like the guy in Ottawa did the other night) but it ends up screwing people over by restricting the view.

Here's a scenario I wanna run by you guys.

My and my gf went to the Flyers game Saturday night and sat in section 324 in the first row with only the wall in front of us. We were sitting slightly forward in our seats to be able to see over said wall and these guys behind us kept telling us to sit back. We were NOT hanging over the wall or anything but sitting forward just enough to be able to see over the wall. After the 3rd time of them telling us to sit back, I sorta went off on the guys.

I felt sorta bad about telling them to shove it but if I go a game and I have to sit forward to see, then thats what im going to do. But in your eyes, do you think I was a bad fan? How would you have handled it?

Aside from telling them to shove it..no, you were not a bad fan. I sit in that row freuquently when using some friends tickets. The first time I sat there, I got educated quickly. Nobody behind me minded if I leaned forward, but if I stood up...I got an ear full. Don't worry about it.

Basically the designers of the Mezzanine had to make the wall high enough so you won't go tumbling over ( like the guy in Ottawa did the other night) but it ends up screwing people over by restricting the view.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3743474''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3743474' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3743474[/post] for those who'd like a reference

This happens pretty often, IMO. If the people in front of you are tall, they may obstruct your view, esp. if they sit on the edge of their seat and/or lean forward. I guess if you are in that situation, you should try to find different seat, if possible. If it's the opposite, (i.e. you blocking someone else's view) as long as you're not standing up, I don't see what kind of legitimate complaint they can have.