The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukProspect

Microsoft's Ballmer touts 'best version of Windows ever'

Windows as long as it dominates the market will always have security issues, the day Mac's go over 50% of the market is when everyone will realize that their OS isn't as secure as they thought it's not never peaked anyone's interest to hack. Hacker's are going after big companies to try to take them down for kicks, I have yet to see a big company rely on Mac's therefore the virus's aren't geared towards Mac's.

The only thing a Apple PC was good for was Oregon Trail back in the 80's. What a classic.

Windows as long as it dominates the market will always have security issues, the day Mac's go over 50% of the market is when everyone will realize that their OS isn't as secure as they thought it's not never peaked anyone's interest to hack. Hacker's are going after big companies to try to take them down for kicks, I have yet to see a big company rely on Mac's therefore the virus's aren't geared towards Mac's.

The only thing a Apple PC was good for was Oregon Trail back in the 80's. What a classic.

Mac's are much better pc's than you are giving them credit for. 95% of all web design is done on macs, the graphics industry relies on them heavily. The only issue has been price, most people won't pay $1,700 for a mac when they can get a PC for $400 (no matter how bad vista stinks). I started coding on Apple IIe's and move myself up to pc's and mainframes so i have played with it all. Had Apple used the same marketing tactic as Microsoft years ago there would be more Mac's. I am slowly moving microsoft out of my business and replacing those pc's with iMacs.

Window's has claimed that every time they've updated their software. My guess is they'll take another step towards OS X from Vista with similar problems regardless with users regardless of what they say will happen. In my opinion part of Vista's issues were trying to make the software more like OS X, for all its faults Windows machines on XP and Windows 2000 might not be as slick as a Mac but they have the advantage of being the standard by default so its what people are used to. When you move away from that when people aren't really asking you to you get problems with people not wanting to use the new system because its too different. If you are interested in something other than the old Windows, why would you use buggy OS X light when you could run OS X?

"We are on track to deliver the best version of Windows ever," Ballmer told an audience of several thousand tech professionals and journalists inside a cavernous ballroom at the Venetian hotel. "We're working hard to get it right and get it ready."

It may be my imagination but I'm fairly certain he said the same thing in October 2006 about Vista. Having worked for Microsoft, having had strong objections to Vista and seeing just how much kool aid Ballmer serves, of course I have doubts!

Without mentioning the security and compatibility issues that have dogged Vista, Ballmer promised that Windows 7 will make PCs faster and easier to use.

Which PCs? If you have the top-notch state-of-the-art PC with ridiciulous amounts of things most offices don't have or need, I guess he'd be right.

imo, if linux had a better gaming sector it would be the best OS out of all of them.

Which is the best is really an individual preference though, each OS has its strengths and has its flaws. Like Legend said, watch the number of security flaws of Macs go up as their popularity go up. Really the flaw of both MS and Apple lies imo that their OS is not open source like linux. While I don't trust the PR of MS on what they say windows 7 will be, I can judge by what those who have windows 7 beta have said and it has been overall positive. Basically from what I have gathered so far, windows 7 will be to Vista what windows 2000/XP was to ME.

Speaking of Kool-Aid, no one, repeat no one, serves it better then Apple.

Speaking of Kool-Aid, no one, repeat no one, serves it better then Apple.

Oh, totally not saying Apple is Kool-Aid free but just speaking about what I'd experienced. Heck, I heard Starbucks is like that too but it won't stop me from ordering my tall caramel apple spice no whip :P

If there is a 64-bit upgrade to Vista in the beta download I am all for trying it. I don't mind Vista as a whole, but there are days I want to throw my computer out the window, especially when IE starts freezing and then gives me an error to shut it down the next 4 times I try to open it or when my sound just goes out completely for days on end for no reason (good thing I don't being my video editing home with me too often). Gets very old after a while and normally during important events. LUCKLY it was never during a college exam....so far.