The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac_80

SNOW!!!!

Back when we got the 3 feet of snow in 2000 (dont know why WRAL says 20 inches, the airport reported 39).. I was shocked by the idiots who tried to drive down the beltline at 60 mph only to go flying off a bridge.. I did get a chuckle that the redneck frat boys in the 65inch jacked up trucks were getting stuck too. We stayed in the dorms for nearly 3 weeks.. of course Raleigh was gracious enough to lend Columbia SC our salt and plow trucks (all 2 of them) so that we had none when the storm hit here 3 days later and the truck crews couldnt get back home.

I've had friends from Detroit, New York, Philly and other areas and the key to driving in snow is to go very very slow. 4WD only helps a tiny bit, but it doesnt allow you to go with any speed. I dont worry about myself, my fiances family (from Philly) or any of my friends who know how to drive carefully.. its the other idiots in an AWD Volvo who thinks that means he can drive in 12 inches of snow and slides through a red light to hit you head on.. thats why I dont go anywhere on days like this... if the snow hangs around fro 2 or 3 days I might go out in it after the roads are cleared and the real morons have already thrashed thier cars.

For our friends North of the border who scoff at our "dusting" the simple reality is this.. we dont have the kind of plows, salt trucks, chains, spikes, heated driveways, engine block heaters etc etc that you guys do... forgive us if our roads are icy and our cars wont start.. we dont have to deal with this very often, and its a rarity we enjoy so let us enjoy it.. LOL.. :P

Dont worry.. 4 months from now when I move to Minnesota (or wherever in the midwest I end up) I will be preparing for REAL snow ;)

Great Hockey Weather!!! Go Canes!

ha, the key to driving in the snow is to go very, very slow? were you the person I passed on I-40 this morning who was going 10 mph and causing everyone to throw their brakes on?

I'd say about 6 inches in Cary. I'm betting on no school again tomorrow :unsure:

Yea I totally agree. Some streets here in Preston are already icing up...so I mean whether the snow stays or not it won't matter if the streets ice over. I went to go get some coffee and even my suv had a good bit of trouble keeping track on the road.

I do wonder though if State will resume business as normal tomorrow...guess I need to do some work just in case.

Highways arent too bad, major roadways are fair but secondary roads are awful and will freeze up again soon.

Not to mention isnt hasn't stopped snowing yet.

I thought I'd be really excited about the snow.. but I woke up this morning and I got really homesick! I miss the boyfriend, the family life, everything in Montreal.. geeze I'm a sap..:P

Some pictures..

Getting ready to go out!

Me looking at the snow

My poor tree and all the snow

More of my yard covered in snow

Thought I'd share:)

I'm getting a laugh at people driving around at about 5 miles an hour! I've been all over the place today.. dropping off movies at blockbuster, going to the gym, visiting friends.. but I don't have winter tires or chains so it's pretty funny... sliding all over the road, couldn't find turning lanes, ended up in ditches:P and I've been laughing through all of it. Snow days are the best!

TSA, what time was it when your butler took those pics?

P.S. thats the high density PVC, not the junk you find at lowes

I don't think the butler took the pictures, he was too busy scraping the snow off the car. I think the nanny took the pictures! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TSA, what time was it when your butler took those pics?

P.S. thats the high density PVC, not the junk you find at lowes

First of all, it was the maid. Second of all, how would I know where the PVC came from since I send the butler out for all those errands?

Silly you. :rolleyes:

Boy, this thread may have to go into the archives for the best threads of all time :lol:

First of all, it was the maid. Second of all, how would I know where the PVC came from since I send the butler out for all those errands?

Silly you. :rolleyes:

Boy, this thread may have to go into the archives for the best threads of all time :lol:

You are correct, it was the maid. The nanny was busy making your hot chocolate and finding your slippers :)

You are correct, it was the maid. The nanny was busy making your hot chocolate and finding your slippers :)

Nope, my personal chef takes care of the hot chocolate. ;)

I'm getting a laugh at people driving around at about 5 miles an hour! I've been all over the place today.. dropping off movies at blockbuster, going to the gym, visiting friends.. but I don't have winter tires or chains so it's pretty funny... sliding all over the road, couldn't find turning lanes, ended up in ditches:P and I've been laughing through all of it. Snow days are the best!

interesting, just for my own peace of mind, are you done driving around today? im getting ready to go home, but would prefer to wait till you are off the roads before I head out.

me and my roomie were sitting around the house figuring out what to do when we remembered that we had a four wheeler sitting out in the shed soo we have spent most of the morning doing donuts and flying up and down the street weaving around in the snow =D

interesting, just for my own peace of mind, are you done driving around today? im getting ready to go home, but would prefer to wait till you are off the roads before I head out.

That made me laugh! lol! :lol:

But no, I'm not done. I still have places to be:P I'm going to my friends house in about an hour.. then going sledding.. might go rent a movie with them later.. no one is safe!

If you find anyone doing donuts in an empty parking lot, may be me, so watch out:P

Honestly, I am not a reckless driver lol. I've been pretty safe so far.. nothing too crazy, so don't worry about me.

Man am i the only one here at work bustin my butt???? :blink::rolleyes:;)

Umm, yes. Cant say I've gotten a thing done today. Not that I have to with my personal staff at my beckon call.

sarcasm warning: for those just tuning in

Umm, yes. Cant say I've gotten a thing done today. Not that I have to with my personal staff at my beckon call.

sarcasm warning: for those just tuning in

Just like every other day then. :)

Well I should be doing the homework that all our teachers give us...but I enjoy procastinating.

I had a friend that used to like that, but he got a "failing grades" letter in the mail!

Only one chef? I'm disappointed, I was expecting SO much more...............

PLEASE tell me that you are looking in earnest for more kitchen staff, one chef just won't cut it, not with the spiked gate and lovely wall.

I had a friend that used to like that, but he got a "failing grades" letter in the mail!

ha! i don't fail. if you get two c's at my school you are asked to leave. i had all a's and one b+ last trimester thank you very much.