The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rollinsox007

Movies in 2008

Hey if you count James Bond as a 'foreign film' then I'm all for them!! The buzz about the new movie looks great, Ian Fleming title, classy/original/exciting settings, character development, good casting, look like strong action sequences, etc. I really want to see a trailer pretty bad right now.

The Bond series is fun, although it leans a bit more toward the American side of things, despite its English heritage. Speaking of character development, Ursula Andress -- the first Bond Girl, from 1962's Dr. No -- exemplefied that aforementioned development well, many male moviegoers contend:

http://www.nndb.com/people/897/000023828/''>http://www.nndb.com/people/897/000023828/' target="_blank">http://www.nndb.com/people/897/000023828/[/post]

Jan/GSBG

Mr. GSBG and I are that .001% of the American population that prefers limited-release foreign films, especially those from England and France. We loved "Amelie" when we first saw it in the theaters in late winter 2002, and really enjoyed "Bend It Like Beckham" during its summer '03 release. (2003 was truly a terrific year for underrated, under-the-radar English films, since that marked the two-week-long American release of the wonderful, witty, and thoughtful "Calendar Girls," starring Helen Mirren, the Oscar winner four years later for her performance as Best Actress in 2006's "The Queen.")

With that in mind, we'll be checking out the limited-release foreign and/or independent films when they're mentioned in our local newspaper: the Orange County (Calif.) Register. We're part of a tiny film-going minority, but a noteworthy one nonetheless. B)

(It probably goes without saying that we're both diehard fans of the vintage movies on Turner Classic Movies. Count on it that we'll both be in front of the tube whenever "Casablanca" is on. B) )

Jan/GSBG

All the movies you mentioned are just great. Did you see Pan's Labyrinth? That is a great movie.

On topic to 2008 releases...I watched Cloverfield the other day. After just over an hour of movie...I felt like I had been cheated for wasting that time that I could never get back. Until 3/4 of the way in I am all into the movie. Then it becomes predictable and it just wasn't good anymore. The movie ends and everyone in the theatre just sits there and stares at the screen and then you hear someone go "Let's go" and everyone stands up and leaves. <_<

BTW, I know they say at the end "It's still alive or something" but there is NO WAY I will get tricked into seeing another one of these.

While we're on the topic of Cloverfield.........I didn't like it at all. The monster seemed to follow the people with the camera, we got no info at all about the monster, we saw very little of the monster and most of all is that it was an hour and thirteen minutes. I mean what the hell JJ Abrams? You built it up with so much hype, yet you made it crazy short. Not getting much about the monster makes me believe that we will see a sequel, but we now know so little about the monster it is irritating. I mean we have finally seen the movie, yet have more questions about the movie than we did before seeing the thing.

While we're on the topic of Cloverfield.........I didn't like it at all. The monster seemed to follow the people with the camera, we got no info at all about the monster, we saw very little of the monster and most of all is that it was an hour and thirteen minutes. I mean what the hell JJ Abrams? You built it up with so much hype, yet you made it crazy short. Not getting much about the monster makes me believe that we will see a sequel, but we now know so little about the monster it is irritating. I mean we have finally seen the movie, yet have more questions about the movie than we did before seeing the thing.

Don't forget to mention that the first, what 30 minutes were all at the party. Here was my theory on it. When they didn't show you all of the monster...it was much better and suspenseful. They show you the monster and you are like "*edit* is that?" but you get no info on it. So lame.

Haven't yet, Tangle. However, based on your recommendation, I'll be on the lookout for it shortly.

Jan/GSBG

Just an fyi, it is quite gory at times so if you have a weak stomach..be on the lookout for a few of those scenes. Also, it is in Spanish with english subtitles. Well worth the time to watch it though. Great story.

Just an fyi, it is quite gory at times so if you have a weak stomach..be on the lookout for a few of those scenes. Also, it is in Spanish with english subtitles. Well worth the time to watch it though. Great story.

Thanks for the info. Since I'm a Turner Classic Movies viewer who makes it a point to see Silent Sunday Nights and TCM Imports every week, I'm a pro with subtitles (and, yes, I can slog through gore every so often). From what I've read, Persopolis is a winner, too. Be on the lookout for it if it ever finds its way to a Triangle-area theater.

Mr. GSBG and I are still talking about Katharine Hepburn's film debut in A Bill of Divorcement, which we saw for the very first time last night on TCM. She was so gorgeous, magnetic, brilliant, and elegant ... how could any movie executive call her "box-office poison," as one moronic movie bigwig did at the end of the '30s? :angry: Kate was ravishing, remarkable: a star far, far ahead of her time.

Jan/GSBG

I just saw RAMBO and loved it. Some of the action was overdone, kind of gross blood-wise, but hey that just fulfills the popcorn flick aspect of RAMBO. Everything else though was great. The acting (specifically Stallone) was perfect. It brought the character full circle and the ending was really great.

Re: Cloverfield. Ugh. It was the Blair Witch Project without the innovation (as BWP was innovative for the time) or the plot meets The War of the Worlds with even less plot. Predictable as anything without any explanation. It would show exactly what I would expect to happen to the characters but not explain what I didn't know - the why. What an overhyped, ridiculous waste of a movie.

Not overhyped? Juno. It is rare to see a movie where you like all of the characters, despite their flaws. There weren't any heroes/villains which was really refreshing.

Two words: HOT ROD

My gosh, possibly the greatest movie I have ever seen. I dont know what it is rated but I would qualify it as a family appropriate movie (minus a few minor cusses). but really that is the funniest movie I have ever seen, I reccomend it to everyone on this board regardless of age or gender (actually some of the really old folks might not like it as much but ya never know)

The Dark Knight should be awesome, Batman was resurrected with Batman Begins...

Personally I am excited about the 2009 Metal Gear Solid movie... its been killing me waiting on this movie.

1: Yea I was about to say, where is Batman? The last one was great... and I'm not even a Batman fan!

2: I would like to see aswell. MGS are great videogames.

Speaking of videogame movies... I wanna see the Halo movie. Only thing is, nobody knows when its coming out. Also Master Chief won't be in the movie because: "he only has one-liners."

While we're talking movies, Mr. G and I saw the debut of 2004's "The Incredibles" on regular cable TV. We enjoyed it big time when we saw it in the theater in early '05, and had just as good a time with it three years later. The dialogue was crisp, fast, witty, and intelligent, which probably helped it land the Oscar that year for Best Animated Film.

"The Incredibles II"? No thanks: The first one stands on its own just fine. ;)

Jan/GSBG

Okay well I saw Step Up 2 this past Friday... well worth the wait! Good plot, good dancing... however, my friends and I like the first one better. However, Step Up 2 has different actors, but it's a fabulous movie for anyone... but recommend that it's better for someone 16 than someone 66. :P No offense to anyone or anything.

I went and saw Jumper last night. It was sooooo worth the $8.50 to see it.

The story was intriguing, the characters were believable for the most part, and the locations were amazing.

The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the ending, but I'll get over it. I can't wait until this one hits DVD.

... Step Up 2 has different actors, but it's a fabulous movie for anyone... but recommend that it's better for someone 16 than someone 66. :P No offense to anyone or anything.

Right now, Mr. GSBG is watching Stagecoach (1939) on Turner Classic Movies. As one of the best movies of an awesome year for film -- remember, that was the year that The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind were released -- it was a gripping, intense Western that delighted moviegoers from 11 to 91. After all, how can you beat an in-his-prime, kick-butt John Wayne? ;)

And, Wesley, I was a passionate fan of silent movies (yes! those made from the 1890s until 1927) when I was your age: 13. IMHO, age has little to do with ability to appreciate movies of any era. B)

Jan/GSBG

I went and saw Jumper last night. It was sooooo worth the $8.50 to see it.

The story was intriguing, the characters were believable for the most part, and the locations were amazing.

The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the ending, but I'll get over it. I can't wait until this one hits DVD.

I saw jumpers last weekend and thought it was alright, I mean it had some interesting ideas, but the script and plot was rather generic and not leaving much to be desired. Probably a better pick up at the rental store or when it comes out on DVD then the nine bucks, but thats just me.

Saw a trailer for Speed Racer, boy that looks cheesy :lol: !

The new The Dark Knight trailer and Indiana Jones trailers are up now. TDK looks like one of the best movies of the year. Indy could be okay or great from what I've seen. I don't think it will turn out awful, but they've kept a lot of production stuff underwraps so no one really knows too many indepth details about the specifics of the movie.

Also the new Bond film is becoming known as the 'cursed Bond' as 2 stuntmen have been injured in a car crash, another car flew off the cliff into a lake and a production assitant was stabbed in a domestic dispute. Good news on the film is that the film itself sounds like it'll be great. ;)

I saw Iron Man and was really surprised. It was a really, really good movie. Downey Jr. was excellent in the lead.

Here's my list:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Smart (Steve Carrell from the Office plays the lead)!!!!!!!

James Bond 22.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Guru !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mummy!!!!!!!

and

there was another preview I saw when I saw the Forbidden Kingdom...but can't recall it now

I saw Iron Man on Saturday and I have to admit that it was amazing! I've never been a fan of Robert Downey Jr., but his portrayal of Tony Stark pretty much made me fall in love. After I watched the movie, all I wanted to do was get home and play Marvel Ultimate Alliance. LOL! The special effects were amazing. The plot was mesmerizing. The dialogue was hilarious. Kudos to the writers! I also saw 88 Minutes. It wasn't the best movie, but it definitely was worth the money. It's Al Pacino. I think that is all I need to say.

Next up for me is Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian! Just one more week! I can't wait! AND the new Harry Potter trailer is rumored to be attached to it! *does ecstatic impatient dance*

My To-See List includes:

- The Dark Knight

- Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince

- Indiana Jones

- Wanted

- The Strangers

- Don't Mess With The Zohan

- The Happening

- The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants 2 (DON'T JUDGE ME!!!) :)

- Revolutionary Road

I really wanted to see In Bruges, but I missed it when it came to the local indie theatre. Sad times. And I must be the only person who didn't enjoy Juno. Which is sad, because I think Michael Cera is adorable.

The Dark Knight looks amazing, I cant wait to go see it. Don't know if I will go see Iron Man though, I've heard good and bad about it but it just doesnt look too interesting to me.

I am an old geezer and thought IronMan was great!! Not too heavy on the special effects, somewhat believable, and stuck to the storyline (unlike the last Star Wars).

My list to see:

-Made of Honor (HAVE to see that, heard it was funny as mess!!)

-Indy Jones (excited to see Shia LeBouf take a turn)

-Dark Night

-HP and 1/2 blood prince

-Prince Caspian

-Get Smart

-New Bond movie

Movies not to see:

-Sisterhood movies (Heard they were horrid... all the pals saw the first and they said it was horrible and cheesy)

-Speed Racer (looks stupid)

I feel like I'm a little too old for it but I loved The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants and I want to see the new one this summer. I never go to the movies except for the free ones for kids during the summer but I told my husband that I am willing to pay for it. He, on the other hand, really wants to see Iron Man.