The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rollinsox007

Movies in 2008

My main 3 films are Indy, The Dark Knight and Quantum of Solace (Bond 22). I'm going to see Get Smart, Narnia 2 and Wall E as well, but I cannot wait for the first 3 films to come out. Indy is one of my all time favorite movie franchises, Batman Begins is one of my favorite films and The Dark Knight looks to up the excitement, and other than sports, James Bond is my biggest obsession. Right now I'm just so excited for Indy to finally come out!!

And yeah all of you who haven't seen Iron Man, see it. It was really good and was easily my favorite film in a while.

I recently saw "Street Kings" and I was amazed by it. The story line was super, the characters played the parts well and it had a lot of action in it. I'll be buying this one when it comes out. Anyone else see it?

I am so pumped for Indy this weekend!!! I really wish I could see it at 12:00 Thursday morning, but I've got a BIG day of school on Friday. Aside from being so pumped for the last Bond movie, I've never been this excited to see a movie before.

The reviews look pretty solid right now. 81% positive at the rotten tomaotes site and that number has been steadily increasing the last few days. From what I've read it is classic Indy, great action, witty dialog, fun characters, a few cheesy moments, but overall a GREAT ride.

Now with the incoming success of Indy 4, starts the rumors of Indy 5 and if the reviews are true and Indy's still got the magic then I say bring on another one!!

I went and saw the Narnia movie, I've never seen the first one but it was alright. It dragged on forever though. The Prince in it was gorgeous, so it was worth it.

I saw Made of Honor and I also What Happens in Vegas. I loved both, very funny.

Glad I didnt want to see this but anyone reading some of these posts could leave this thread ticked off. Should add a spoilers bewar to the thread title now.

Just saw "Mysterious Skin" (2004) a couple days ago...an indie film (I'm a HUGE indie film fan/junkie; usually dislike the Hollywood stuff) and let me tell you it is a groundbreaking film...stars Joesph Gordon-Levitt (Angels in the Outfield) and is about child abuse seen through the eyes of the children being abused. It follows them as they grow up...really a remarkable movie on a very sensitive subject...a movie that stays with you for a long, long time. I recommend it for those who follow indie films and/or deep movies without the hollywood glamour.

I do look forward to the Hollywood movie "The Strangers". I love suspense films, and this one looks very good.

Glad I didnt want to see this but anyone reading some of these posts could leave this thread ticked off. Should add a spoilers bewar to the thread title now.

Good point. While I don't plan on seeing some of these movies now, I do in the future when they're released on DVD.

Alright, BIG SPOILERS BELOW (Highlight to read)

Here is my review for Indy 4:

(I know this is a huge review, but I've been sick this weekend, and I've been bored out of my mind....so here it goes: ;)

[/color] It was a good, fun film, but to me I thought it was a league below the original trilogy. The opening hour or so was good, fun and reminded me a lot of classic Indy. It wasn't as good as what you would've seen out of Doom, Raiders or Crusade, but it was still in the same vein. This film was meant to be a 1950s type of B movie, instead of the 1930s B movie the originals were based off of, but I think they took that point to the extreme.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Negatives)

- They took the alien nature of the whole thing way too far (God was always implied in the first few Indys, but the aliens in this film pushed it to the limit). I would've liked it much more if everyone thought it was aliens who made this skull, but it turned out to be some huge mythical cover up, or that it was aliens, but that they died out long ago. The ship at the end was alright, but the alien itself being in the film just killed some of the believability, even for an Indiana Jones film.

- The score was okay, but that is only because all the reused music in it. I can't think of one NEW, memorable track in the whole thing. It wasn't bad, but it was not near as memorable as Raider's, Doom's or Crusade's main themes.

- Some of the tension was lost because it felt like Indy wasn't doing very much. In past films you have Indy doing a lot of investigating on his own or with minimal help from Short Round, Willie, Marion, Sallah, Brody and/or his Dad. In this film you had Mac, Oxley, Marion, Mutt and even Spalko at a few parts. It felt like Spalko already knew what they had to do before it happened, they just needed Indy to help out. For example, I loved the jungle chase scene right up until the Indiana Jones theme stopped and they started showing what the other 10 major characters were doing at that moment. At some parts it felt like an adventure film, with Indiana Jones as one of the characters, not THE character. Also some scenes were just in the film for no particular reason. I mean going over the waterfall 3 times, and each time nobody was hurt? That was just pointless. The motorcycle scene was good, but again, it never felt like Indy was in very much danger and you felt that, again, Indy wasn't really doing much himself.

- Of course no one ever thought Indy was going to die, but you never really felt like he was in very much danger. This has to do, again, do with the fact that the Russians in the film weren't utilized well at all. Neither Spalko, the Russians with Spalko, or the Russians around Indy's college were intimidating or menacing at all. Indy was far too willing to just help out Spalko with what she wanted at numerous points in the movie. Same goes for the jungle chase in my opinion. The first half was good, but it really went down hill the moment the Indy theme quit and just stopped doing very much. Any time Indy is along for the ride, and not the main focus on the screen isn't a good thing.

- With all these new characters it really only felt like Mutt was the slightest bit interesting. Mac was boring, Oxley was just kind of weird, Spalko wasn't at all intimidating, the new Dean couldn't hold Brody's jock strap, etc.

- I liked Blanchett as Spalko, but her character was REALLY weak to me. Again, I think some of the tension was lost in the film becuase Spalko never really seemed that bad a person. In Raiders or Crusade, Indy was working against complex characters like Belloq or Donovan who had the help of the murderous Nazis, in Doom you had a crazy *edit* Indian cult, but in Kingdom, I was never really sure if Spalko ever really wanted to kill Indy or even hurt him for that matter. Also aside from that one huge Russian, the other Soviets did absolutely nothing the entire film.

- My biggest complaint is that I really hated the skull itself. In past movies, the dialog scenes where the action stopped helped to develop the characters a lot, but in Kingdom, it felt like literally ever dialog scene dealt with either the backstory of the Skull, or Indiana was trying to explain why something happened. Even with all that explaining, I never really figured out what the skull did by the very end of the movie anyway. We knew what the ark did, knew a little about the Sankara Stones before the end of ToD, knew what the Grail did, and all of that too minimal explanation. I mean to be honest I got sick of hearing so much backstory of the Skull and why specific things were happening or double meanings of words by Indiana Jones in this one. Even though it is in the title of the movie, I think I'm always going to view this Skull as the most pointless and forgettable McGuffin in the whole franchise.

- Also I thought Marion's return was lackluster. She shows up halfway through the movie, and only seems herself in maybe 2/3 of the already small amount of scenes she's show in. In the scene where Spalko fell on the back of the jeep, in Raiders Marion would've knocked the *edit* out of her, but in Skull all she did was look at her. She was utilized FAR better in Raiders, it is not even funny. Her character was so fun, vital to the story and interesting in Raiders, and could not have been more the opposite in Skull.

- The temples or burial sites in Skull never really seemed very dangerous either. It seemed like Indy and the gang just walked into the temple to get the skull and to return the skull without barely any opposition at all. I mean compare these to finding the Grail tablet, the opening of Raiders, the scene with the insects in Doom, or the Canyon of the Crescent Moon Temple and Skull falls short there as well to deliver the tension in these settings as well as its predecessors. The whole jungle scene and journey into Akator to return the skull just seemed way too easy and simple. I mean the skull basically did everything for them. It was another sequence where Indy took a back seat to what was happening.

- Indy himself seemed a bit off in some parts as well. Ford wasn't bad at all, but it just didn't seem like Indy had very much to do in Skull as he did in any of the other 3 films. I see some people say Ford lacked the drive in this movie, but I don't think that was him lacking the drive, I think that was just that some scenes were literally written with Indy just not doing a single thing.

- Also I feel that if CGI is going to be the main focus on the screen during a scene then I would have to rewrite that scene entirely. The CGI in the film wasn't bad, but I would have much preferred having real ants, the scene at the end was okay, but I would've toned down the amount of CGI used in that shot. The insects were handled much better in Doom, they looked real and acted a little more believably.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Positives/5th Film possibilities)

- I loved the 50s feel of the movie, but I would much prefer if in Indy 5 they went back to the 30s serial action/adventure feel. I just feel that that suits Indy much more. Also I would make Indy the main focus of the story, have him off on his own much more, and have more non-action scene interactions between him and the other characters. His interactions with Mutt was fine for a while, then their dialog was dominated by talk of the skull, then all his dialog with Marion was too short, and dominated by the upcoming action scenes set around their dialog. There was never any moments where they just talked like Indy and Willie in the palace in Doom, Indy and Marion in the Raven, Indy and Short Round in the jungle, Indy and his Dad on the blimp, etc.

- The locations were fine, but like someone said earlier, everything seemed to be filmed indoors. Most scenes were too dark, and I would've cut down on the time he spent in the jungle/Akator temple, and spent more time in the graveyard/jungle sequence. That whole set was a lot more scary and interesting.

- I think it would've been much better if it was just Indy and Mutt, and then Marion comes in at the very end or not at all to set it up for a 5th movie. Mac was just stupid. I would've prefered if Oxley had been with Indy at the beginning in Area 51 so when he goes crazy, we actually feel for him, like we felt for Connery in TLC when he was shot. Oxley was there just to move the story along and make it so that their adventure into Akator was quick because they'd spent so much time out in the jungle chase.

- Personally I loved the ending. I think a lot of people are saying it was kind of cheesy, but so was riding off into the sunset. I just think TLC was a much better way to go off then KotCS though. I thought the ending was a great way to either send Indy off, and at the same time leave the door open for Indy 5. A 5th and maybe 6th film with more traditional Indy action/adventure elements and more traditional and realistically designed set pieces would be a much better way to end this great franchise. If this is going to be the last film then I would have preferred them leave it with Crusade because I just thought it was a much stronger all around film.

- I also loved the first half of the jungle chase and the motor cycle chase. The minute the Indy theme stopped in the jungle chase, I just felt like it wasn't all that exciting. I mean some of the scenes just showed cars bumping each other for a few minutes and then CGI monkeys swinging through trees. It was just another part of the sequence where I felt the focus was taken off of Indy. Same goes for the last half of the motorbike chase. I just felt that those sequences could've been shortened a lot, and some of the backstories about the skull could've been cut out to make room for more dialog scenes and character development.

- Also I would love it if Lucas just stopped being involved with the story at all. I wish he'd just stuck with the haunted castle thing he came up with back in the 80s, it may not sound as great as the Ark, Doom or Grail, but it was one of Lucas's 80s ideas, and those actually made GREAT films, not just good ones. They spent so many dialog scenes trying to explain the skull and the events going on around the skull and I still don't get what it was supposed to do. I also feel that they need to distance themselves from Koepp big time. The dialog was awful, the action scenes not very suspenseful or exciting, the globe trotting not as dramatic or awe-inspiring, the new characters (other that Mutt) were stupid and un-needed, the story was cluttered and not very understandable, etc. If we didn't love to see Indy doing what he does best in certain parts of the film, then I really wouldn't have liked this film very much. I'd love it if instead of setting out to make another Indy film, they set out to make a film they thought could rival Raiders. If they set the bar high, then they can't just say they just wanted to make a fun film.

- I actually loved the nuclear site sequence. I do think that was as far as the film should've gone though into the realm of fantastical action sequences. Most Indy films have a few craze scenes, I just felt that it got too silly with not only the nuke, but also the aliens, UFO, etc. and none of the situations were really taken all that seriously by Indy. It is fine to have some humor, but it would've been nice if Ford's dialog had been written a little more serious and not so that he had a quip for every single thing that came up. He didn't treat everything so half-heartedly in the original trilogy in many parts.

- Again, I just feel that this movie could've been so much more if they had just gotten a decent writer. The story in this film was so cluttered, it felt like even with all the over the top, ridiculous amounts of explanations, the plot never ended up as clear as it did in Raiders, Doom or Crusade. I did enjoy the film a lot, but while watching it, I couldn't stop thinking about how much more I enjoyed the original 3 movies, regardless if it was a 30s style B movie or a 50s style B movie. It had the action, it just lacked some of the drama and tension that made the first 3 the great films they are.

I saw the film a second time yesterday and I would say it is a good film when you compare it with the other big summer movies like Transformers or something along those lines (you know the big time CGI, minimal character interactions, awful script sort of thing), but when you go into an Indy film, you expect something a little better, something that keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. You expect something a little better than the average popcorn flick, but unfortunately, Ford and Spielberg were dealt a horribly muddled script from Lucas, Koepp and Nathason and unless they come back with something like the original trilogy from a possible Indy V then I wish they would've left The Last Crusade as the last Indy.

Saw Iron Man tonight. Really good I must say. Loved the ending after the credits. My wife always knew I was a comic book geek, but after tonight, she found new "geekness" about me after explaining SHIELD and what not.

Yeah, Iron Man is my favorite film of the year so far. I'm hoping The Dark Knight and Quantum of Solace will be able to beat it though. I'm still really disappointed in Indy though. It wasn't bad, but when you come back after 19 years, you should've made it as good, if not better, than the originals. I'd still be in favor of a 5th, if Indy is going to be the main focus, they trim down the cast, get a writer who has written Indy before, and take Indy back to the 30s type of action/adventure serials and not the 50s sci-fi/adventure serials.

Just saw the new Hulk. VERY good movie. I enjoyed it. Better than the first, and you don't have to wait until after the credits to see some extra footage. I can't wait for the next couple of years. Use to be a huge comic geek....

Then my wife "convinced" me that comics were for kids and teens... the wouldn't amount to anything, especially since there weren't any movies at that time... <_< Thanks hon.

I saw indy a couple days ago, yeah I know I'm very late to this party.

I thought it was awful. It just didn't have that real classic Indy feel to it, and the alien thing was just waaaaay to far. I thought Mutt was a good addition to the movie, and more of just him and Indy would have been better.

I know it's a very short review, but it's late and I need to get to bed!

For those who saw the new hulk I got a question:

spoilers:

at the end, when tony stark shows up, iron man 2 is already in production, any rumors or idea if that will tie in with what was said at the end of the hulk? I haven't seen iron man yet so I am not sure how that one ended.

I did think it was much better then the last hulk, Edward Norton is a fantastic actor.

Ichigo:

I don't know if it will tie in with the Hulk per se, but probably the Avengers movie thats coming out in 2011. Tried looking around and not much is out yet about it. I would think it would still be early yet to have Hulk in Iron Man 2, but you never know...

BTW, Isn't there a new Ichigo movie coming out for only like 2 days or something?? :)

Anyone seen "The Happening" yet?

I'm a big Shyamalan fan, but his most recent movies have been big busts (to me at least). Was just wondering what some people thought about this one. Heard that Ebert and Roeper liked it, and that another guy said it was "the best B movie ever made." However, I've also heard awful things about it...like the Shyamalan classic "leaves you confused at the end" thing.

Anyone seen "The Happening" yet?

I'm a big Shyamalan fan, but his most recent movies have been big busts (to me at least). Was just wondering what some people thought about this one. Heard that Ebert and Roeper liked it, and that another guy said it was "the best B movie ever made." However, I've also heard awful things about it...like the Shyamalan classic "leaves you confused at the end" thing.

I went to see it last weekend with some friends and when we met up with our other friend at the theatre she said that a couple had just walked out from The Happening and they had jokingly gone up to the ticket window and asked for a refund. lol That worried me, but I went with low expectations so that I wouldn't be disappointed. haha

I thought it was entertaining though. There are some things that kind of confused me about the plot and the ending, like you mentioned above, but if you just want a fun summer movie it's fine. It's no Six Sense but it was way better than the Village. It's hard to explain though, because people have such differing opinions about his films - for instance, I actually really enjoyed Signs.

I went to see it last weekend with some friends and when we met up with our other friend at the theatre she said that a couple had just walked out from The Happening and they had jokingly gone up to the ticket window and asked for a refund. lol That worried me, but I went with low expectations so that I wouldn't be disappointed. haha

I thought it was entertaining though. There are some things that kind of confused me about the plot and the ending, like you mentioned above, but if you just want a fun summer movie it's fine. It's no Six Sense but it was way better than the Village. It's hard to explain though, because people have such differing opinions about his films - for instance, I actually really enjoyed Signs.

Yea I LOVED Signs...like I said I'm a big fan. Thanks for the info...think I'll go check it out.