The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
puckhead63

Outer banks and weather info.......

April on the Outer Banks...let me try and remember what this is like. LOL

It is usually lower to mid 70s during this time. However, it may not be this year, because the weather has been crazy out there, I mean it has snowed 3 times there this winter. The one good thing about the OBX weather is that unlike Raleigh, if it is 70 during the day, it usually only drops to about 65 at night, very mild..probably the only thing I really love about the weather there. I do have to warn about the rain...during the spring, and sometimes all summer...it will rain most days of the week. It usually isn't all day long rain, but I remember a few weeks last year where it seemed to never stop raining. Not so bad if you can find stuff to do indoors, but it is always great to be in a store and hear tourists complain about the rain (yeah, the locals need amusement somehow!) I am not too sure the ocean temp will be warm enough in april to really be comfortable swimming temp. I think it all depends. Last year, it was still pretty chilly come June, but there have been years where it was alright in early Spring too...it all depends on the Gulf Stream and all that. Where on the OBX are you planning on staying, because that could affect it too?

Thanks TH, not sure where we would be staying yet...early in the planning. I was hoping the the air temp and the water temp would be ok. I swam at hampton beach in New hampshire, if you ever did that then you could swim in anything. My brother had a friend stay there in april and he said the water was great, ofcourse he could be a member of the polar bear club for all I know

It seems northerners are used to swimming in colder water, so the OBX in April might be OK. (I hear about camp kids in Michigan swimming in water in July that's probably equal to our ocean temps in March.) I sure as hell wouldn't go in the ocean in April, but that's because I'm used to going in the summer, when the water's just a touch cooler than the 90-degree temps.

Thanks TH, not sure where we would be staying yet...early in the planning. I was hoping the the air temp and the water temp would be ok. I swam at hampton beach in New hampshire, if you ever did that then you could swim in anything. My brother had a friend stay there in april and he said the water was great, ofcourse he could be a member of the polar bear club for all I know

LOL yah, if you can swim in NH water the OBX water will feel like a bath! haha

Well then, I guess I will just give my best advice and if you go to a northern beach (Corolla, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, or Nags Head) and the water is unbearable if you drive to Hatteras Island, it is usually quite a bit warmer there believe it or not. Hatteras is about 40-45 minute drive from Kill Devil Hills, and so its not really worth it to drive there every day, but it makes a good day trip.

I'm not sure when Easter is this year. That will determine availability of rentals as well. Air temps usually in low 70's during the day and 50's at night. Water temp will probably be around 60 to 65 that time of year.

Check out Ocracoke Island. It is a little further south but, is a quaint village. Less crowded that time of year as well.

Try PMing obxcaniac, she lives there and can give you more detailed info.

I was talking about this on another thread. Figured I wouldn't hijack that one, I'll just start a new one. My brothers, kids ,wives ,etc are looking into renting one of those massive houses at the banks. Looks like if the family can remain civil for a week....lol.....we could have a good time. The catch is this , the only affordable time to go is mid-April. I need to know what the temp. is down there at that time and is it too cold to go inot the ocean? Is that a bad time to go? Any info would be great........thanks, friends

my family (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc) are doing this in October (good time for fishing)...We managed to get a place on the Ocean with tons of luxuries for about $300 per bedroom (way we decided to divide up the cost).

spring time is prime thunderstorms/rain/wind/various severe weather season but I would pick a general time frame and look into extended forcast. Obviously late summer is prime for all the coast in nc because of warmer waters and slightly better (still rains and watch for hurricanes) weather.

fyi here is the average tempts as best I could find:

CAPE HATTERAS, NC

jan-52.4

feb-53.4

mar-59.6

apr-67.0

may-74.4

june-80.8

july-84.6

aug-84.7

sept-80.7

oct-72.4

nov-64.7

dec-56.8

annual- 69.3

Hmm...I've been going to the Outer Banks all my life, two of my aunts own beach houses. We go up in Corolla, past Duck. Is your family looking in Pine Island, perchance? I know Pine Island is a pretty well-known "neighborhood" in Corolla. I usually vacation farther north up the road than that.

As far as weather goes, I've gone several years for Easter and it has been bitterly cold, especially in April. Expect cold temps and pack jeans and jackets! Everyhting is still shut up for winter, too. You never really know with the weather, it ranges from rainy to sunny. Just depends. As far a water temp, your best bet is to steer clear of the ocean. My brothers and I have rented full-body wetsuits several times in April...we are big on surfing...and we still come out of the water frozen.

I don't really care too much about the weather, just as long as I'm at the beach!

Have fun and enjoy your stay if you decide to rent in April!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Stuff usually doesn't open back up until around May 2nd. Lot's of restaurants and that kind of stuff. Mako Mike's stays open all year long though!! LOL

Based on a 4 day weekend party I had there in late April 2003, here is my opinion:

Chances of rain are increased - rained 3 of 4 days.

Water was bloody cold, plus the beach floor (under the waves) was cut up due to strong currents.

I'd wait a bit longer than April.

Never had a chance to hit the waves out there but are they good enough to catch some good waves?

Im probably heading back to NC for maybe a weekend since my family still has Real Estate here i was thinking of driving down there..

Never had a chance to hit the waves out there but are they good enough to catch some good waves?

Im probably heading back to NC for maybe a weekend since my family still has Real Estate here i was thinking of driving down there..

not unless theres a hurricane on the way, which case, you prob don't want to be out there. maybe good enough for a boogie board ;)

I have a uncle that lives in Frisco on the Outer Banks. I Love it up there for the fishing. Only now some bunch of animal Terrorist are trying to shut down the entire beach to driving for some little birds that don't even nest where people drive.

Sorry to bump a over year old thread but has anyone been to OBX recently? I've vacationed the last couple years and I was wondering what happend to Jeanette's Fishing Pier in Nags Head.

It got messed up during Hurricane Isabel and I don't think it has ever been fixed. There are a couple other piers just north of Jeanette's still though.

DatsyukProspect, the waves are either hit or miss out there. The surf usually isn't really big, but the curl on the waves is really good for surfing. I don't surf myself but I have a few friends who surf constantly out there. If I remember correctly a lot of them go down to Oregon Inlet to surf where it's a bit bigger out there. I know of at least one pro surfer who lives in Kitty Hawk so the surf HAS to be decent. :lol:

Hopefully it's going to be a nice few days on the OBX while I am out there visiting my family, I know it's supposed to storm some Saturday and Sunday, but that's pretty much normal out there.

It got messed up during Hurricane Isabel and I don't think it has ever been fixed. There are a couple other piers just north of Jeanette's still though.

Its a shame that Jeanettes isnt fixed and Kitty Hawk Fishing Pier is smaller and private now.

Frisco Pier is the farthest south one on Hatteras Island. It needs alot of work but whenever I go there there is usually something biting. last April me and my uncle Jackie Caught about 15 Speckled Trout and had about 20 Sea Mullet.

Sorry to bump a over year old thread but has anyone been to OBX recently? I've vacationed the last couple years and I was wondering what happend to Jeanette's Fishing Pier in Nags Head.

Jeanettes pier is now owned by the State, they plan on starting construction soon to build a concrete pier that will extend 1000 feet into the ocean, not sure on completion date. They are also supposed to start a Northern Bridge, to cut drive time to Corolla from the north by an hour, that is scheduled to start later this year.

I've lived on the Outer Banks for 22 yrs, weather is always hit or miss. Rentals are down this year, and everything is negotiable. I do have a 5 bed 3 bath home with pool in Corolla for rent you can call me or pm with any questions

here is link to show the home, deal with me directly and you can get it cheaper than going through rental company :)

Ken Jefferson 252-202-9588

http://www.sunrealtync.com/smc/plugin/search.php''>http://www.sunrealtync.com/smc/plugin/search.php' target="_blank">http://www.sunrealtync.com/smc/plugin/search.php[/post]

Also a pic from my backyard, I get to see the sunset behind my house every night into the water