The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2008-2009 college basketball thread

Zeller and Davis are studs. And if Thompson can play all season the way he played today, the frontcourt is LOADED once Hansbrough is back in the lineup. The lack of a foot on the throat today concerns me though.

We knew Little T (even though he's taller... he's younger, of course) was going to play well, but Ed Davis was certainly a surprise today. A double-double isn't a bad way to start your career as a Tar Heel. I wouldn't be too worried about it not being a total blowout, though. Pennsylvania consistently makes the postseason, and we had our main man watching from the bench, of course.

State played a pretty good game against a pretty good New Orleans team... Hopefully the Statewide swing coming up (High Point, Winthrop(SC but basically charlotte), UNCG, Davidson and Winston Salem should all be pretty easy games, although Greensboro has a pretty decent team. Degand and Gonzalez having another year under thier belts seems to be helping out a lot. Of course the "real" schedule doesnt start until January so its a little early to tell so far.

Another solid win. Just like the Penn game, it wasn't a huge blowout, but it was never really close, either. We'll probably go one more game without Tyler, then have him back in Hawaii next week.

Another solid win. Just like the Penn game, it wasn't a huge blowout, but it was never really close, either. We'll probably go one more game without Tyler, then have him back in Hawaii next week.

Here's my problem with tonight's game... Carolina KILLED Kentucky in the first eight minutes of the game. I mean, DESTROYED them. And then they proceeded to do NOTHING for the remaining 32 minutes to make any sort of statement. Not to mention Zeller likely breaking his wrist on a bit of a fluky play and being out a couple of months, but that's pure speculation. Either way, G is the real victim here.

The Penn game bothered me because we didn't go on a second half run. The Kentucky game bothers me because we didn't effectively put them away; we just let them half-hang around in the 13-17 point deficit range for 30 minutes. I'm thinking that "killer instinct" problem will solve itself when Hansbrough returns, but I could be wrong.

We now know it's worse than just a couple of months. But the question is, can Little T make an Erik Cole Comeback

After watching Curry put up 44 against Oklahoma (in a loss no less), and then 30 against Winthrop.. I dont think State even has a remote chance of beating Davidson... wow are they good. Thankfully we have some tune up games against High Point, Greensboro and Winthrop before we have to face Davidson. At least they are ranked so its not a bad loss when it comes (and would be an upset if we somehow won)... State plays high point tonight.. we'll see how they do.. I won't read too much into the one game against New Orleans, but we looked good there.

Bet you Carolina guys are glad to see Hansborough back. Sucks about the guy with the broken wrist... besides knees and ankles which are understandable, there really shouldnt be any other injuries in basketball.. some people play way too rough... might need better enforcement of technical fouls and intentional fouls... (of course every foul in the last 45 seconds to stop the clock is an intentional foul, but they dont call it that way)

We're destroying Chaminade (as expected) and Oregon or Alabama shouldn't be too tough, so it's time to look ahead to a showdown on Wednesday against Texas or Notre Dame. No matter which team wins, we'll certainly get our first big challenge of the season. Then, a week later (after coming home for an easy game against UNC-Asheville), we face yet another tough team in Michigan State. The site? Ford Field in Detroit. Hopefully we'll enjoy the place so much that we'll want to go back there in April. :)

Too bad Ben Hansbrough isn't eligible to play this season... it could have been a battle of the Hansbrough brothers tomorrow night. And then, if Little T hadn't had that unfortunate injury, we would have also had a battle of the Zeller brothers. No matter... Notre Dame is tough enough of a team that it will still be a good game. I'm looking forward to our first true test of the season.

If McAlarney doesn't go completely insane in the last 7 minutes of the game - hitting repeated 25-30 bombs with hands in his face - Carolina beats the #8 team in the land by close to 30 points. If there is a team that can stay within ten points of Carolina when the Heels play like they did last night, I would like to see it.

Basketball.

:lol:

Basketball. The Greatest Sport besides hockey Ever Invented.

I'm getting a good vibe for the Heels this year. They seem so determined... Ty Lawson and Danny Green must've gotten a wake up call that said "Look, I can't even think I'll make the pros if I keep playing like I used to. I've got to step it up a lot!!!"

And the crazy thing is that for me, Zeller (Tyler, not Luke) looks just like a kid from my old school and he too played basketball and wasn't short!!!

That's hilarious! And that was with a broken nose, too.

Ty Lawson and Danny Green must've gotten a wake up call that said "Look, I can't even think I'll make the pros if I keep playing like I used to. I've got to step it up a lot!!!"

Danny was already good; it's Ty that needed the wake-up call. After last night, I think he got it. :o

No comment on the Michigan State Massacre? Sure, maybe the Spartans got exposed by Maryland, but to see Carolina run them out of Ford Field the way they did was a wonderful thing. The second half image of the guys in the white jerseys, their hands on the their knees, gasping for air, while the boys in blue had barely broken a sweat was absolutely beautiful.

State got left out of the Big Ten challange this year.. which is kinda a shame since we seem to win pretty regularly. I know we've beat Wisconsin a couple times and Perdue I believe, maybe a few loses to bigger teams like Mich or Mich State, but I dont remember.

What do we get in return? A game against local Davidson which we we surely get stomped through the court in. I dont think theres anyway to stop Curry, we'll be lucky just to keep it close.. major upset if we win, but I dont see that happening. At least they are ranked so it doesnt look like we are getting blasted by a nobody. First game this season on TV though, so at least it should be fun to watch.

I was really encouraged with the way NCSU played today. I'm not saying they played very well at all, but they kept pace with Davidson after not really anyone playing as well as they are capable of is much more than I thought we'd see today. Costner and McCauley got a lot of free throws because the minute they drove or caught the ball in the paint they were double teamed. If we could've had anyone that could hit a three pointer for Costner/McCauley to kick the ball too, then we may have been able to win that game. With pretty solid games by Costner (he sucked from the perimeter though) and McCauley, we really lacked the much needed scoring of Fells today.

Also it isn't just that I hate Hansborough with every ounce of passion in my body, but Curry is the best player in the country. You can keep him scoreless by double teaming him and letting him beat you by assisting his team mates or let him score and hope to God he doesn't drop 50 on you.

I was really encouraged with the way NCSU played today. I'm not saying they played very well at all, but they kept pace with Davidson after not really anyone playing as well as they are capable of is much more than I thought we'd see today. Costner and McCauley got a lot of free throws because the minute they drove or caught the ball in the paint they were double teamed. If we could've had anyone that could hit a three pointer for Costner/McCauley to kick the ball too, then we may have been able to win that game. With pretty solid games by Costner (he sucked from the perimeter though) and McCauley, we really lacked the much needed scoring of Fells today.

Also it isn't just that I hate Hansborough with every ounce of passion in my body, but Curry is the best player in the country. You can keep him scoreless by double teaming him and letting him beat you by assisting his team mates or let him score and hope to God he doesn't drop 50 on you.

I agree.. I thought we played well, I half expected us to get blown off the court. Our rebounding was fantastic, the whole first half and late in the second Davidson only got one shot make or miss and then State got the ball back. Late in the first half we had the game well in hand but we couldnt run away with it, and Davidson came out like gangbusters early in the second to cancel a 7 point lead and end up with the 1 point back and forth affair the rest of the game was.

Glad to see Furgeson wasnt hurt, that was as flagrant as flagrant gets... and what can you say about Stephan Curry? Holy cow.. he took my breath away.. but ya know what? Without him, Davidson is nothing. Next year when he's in the NBA they wont have anything to fall back from, which is unfortunate cause they are a pretty good squad.

A close loss against a ranked team, perhaps the hottest team in the country right now aside from UNC and with argueably the best basketball player on the planet... I'll take it.. should still look good for us come Tourney time for our strength of schedule. All in all not a bad game...

I wonder what Lowe said to get the Bench T? LOL.. I bet it was something colorful.

Our rebounding was solid in the 1st, but awful in the 2nd from what I saw. We were a great team in the 2nd half of the year 2 years back when we only played the Iron Five guys (Atsur, Grant, McCauley, Costner, Fells), I don't see why we have to try and play so many guys when 1/2 of our bench sucks times 10. Also I don't understand why Tracy Smith isn't playing more. He is a solid forward, and can really help out Ben down low. If Fells is 100% next game I want a line up of: Mays, Fells, Costner, Smith, McCauley and for them to play most of the game. We will be a much deeper team next year with an as of right now good, potential to be great, recruiting class coming in, but right now we need to play a 6-8 man rotation, not use all 10+ guys every game.

Our rebounding was solid in the 1st, but awful in the 2nd from what I saw. We were a great team in the 2nd half of the year 2 years back when we only played the Iron Five guys (Atsur, Grant, McCauley, Costner, Fells), I don't see why we have to try and play so many guys when 1/2 of our bench sucks times 10. Also I don't understand why Tracy Smith isn't playing more. He is a solid forward, and can really help out Ben down low. If Fells is 100% next game I want a line up of: Mays, Fells, Costner, Smith, McCauley and for them to play most of the game. We will be a much deeper team next year with an as of right now good, potential to be great, recruiting class coming in, but right now we need to play a 6-8 man rotation, not use all 10+ guys every game.

Yeah.. last year the only guy who really came off the bench with regularity was Ferguson I believe. I think they are trying to take a more "team" oriented approach to get the bad taste of the "J J Hickson show" out of thier mouths from last year. I understand the guys need a rest, but the "small" lineup that played the second half of the first half was not very good at all and Davidson made them pay, and instead of going into halftime down 10 points they were only down 4... at that point I was hoping we would come out strong in the second half, since we seem to be a second half team, but we just never quite got it going...

All in all I am still pretty impressed with this team.. an improvement over last year and looks strong so far. Unfortunately the best we will be able to do will be 3rd behind Duke and UNC, but thats not bad out of 12 teams, and it should get us a Tourney spot.

Davidson is the only team this year to score more than 60 on us, and they only put up 72 so its not like they blew us out by 100 or anything, and Curry had 44 of those 72 (INSANE RIGHT?).. He is 61% of thier scoring.. thats just freaking ridiculous. He's also unstoppable.. he can shoot it from anywhere from 2 inches from the basket to halfcourt... I think we played a really good game against a team we had no hope of beating.. I'm not sure how Oklahoma even beat them.. they wont lose too many more from here on out.. pray we dont meet them again in the tourney!

January 10th starts the ACC season.. hopefully our only other loss between now and then will be Jan 3rd against Florida... i doubt we can hang with a multi-championship winning team, even if they arent that good this year.