The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2008-2009 college basketball thread

Yeah Fells/Costner never showed any effort so I think we'll get a few more wins just based on the effort and emotion showed by guys who actually want to win. I'm not gonna criticize Lowe's style until he gets more players on his team that actually want to play to win. We've got a good recruting class this year and the start of a good one the next year. We still have a few scholarships left over for some hopefuls in Wall/Cousins.

Carolina deserved to win last night, but I still have no respect for Roy. The N&O let him and the UNC athletics dept in general get away with more stuff than any other local college since most of their reporters graduated from UNC.

Carolina deserved to win last night, but I still have no respect for Roy. The N&O let him and the UNC athletics dept in general get away with more stuff than any other local college since most of their reporters graduated from UNC.

I'm all for accusing the N&O of extra UNC coverage because of their journalism school, though it is more likely that it is because UNC is the most popular team around here. But of giving the school a free pass? Its rare the sports page runs a negative article anyway. It is not like there has been much to really complain/criticize at UNC in the last few years, not to mention the salve that is winning. Unless I've missed something, which I very well could have, I don't see anything wrong with the N&O's coverage as far as journalistic integrity goes.

And on UNC, they definitely were the best team in the country with Lawson, as they demonstrated the entire tournament. And even as a non-UNC fan last night was a happy day because now I will never again have to hear about how spectacularly awesome Tyler Hansbrough is except in a historical sense.

Are Henderson and Vasquez really leaving though, I've heard Henderson might, but nothing about Vasquez. I'd be a bit shocked about Vasquez, I don't think he'll do well in the NBA

Heres hoping the Canes make it 3/3.

AMEN!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that Vazquez has said he is gonna test the draft, but I'm not sure on Henderson. Conventional wisdom has him leaving simply because you don't know if he can replicate another awesome season, but you never know. He may pull a Hansbrough and stay for a final shot for a championship. I fully expect NCSU to still be behind the ball when it comes to basketball, Lowe has done a great job recruiting, but we'll find a way to mess it up. We'll be awesome this year in football, but that's it. The rumor that Lee Fowler is possibly on the way out at the NCSU AD is the best news we've had in a long time. A lot of people think Sendek was the worst thing to happen, but in reality it was Fowler who let that guy get 10 years at State. Our whole athletic dept has gone down hill big time since Fowler took over.

With the whole N&O thing though, I do think they give wayyyyyy too much covearge to UNC, I don't care about what Hansbrough eats in his diet, or what salon the mens basketball team at UNC gets their pedicures done at and yes those were actually stories they ran. It goes beyond that though. They flamed the living hell out of Jimmy V back in the 80's when NCSU and UNC were still neck and neck in basketball. They played an enormous role in getting him out of NCSU and would not drop the story for one minute, even after V had finally left. NCSU got on probation in '73 for a ridiculous probation rule (D Thompson played in a pick up game at NCSU and they deemed that an illegal recruiting practice), and that kept them out of the NCAA tournament. This year UNC technically broke a rule by having Williams and the guys play in that scrimmage with Obama, but the NCAA deemed it a 'special circumstance.' Also the f-bomb dropped by Williams, or the DUI by Lawson were mentioned, and then completely swept under the rug. The only time I heard about either of these after the initial report were in letters to the editor that bashed the N&O for not giving either of those proper coverage.

Don't say that I'm bitter, I know that UNC was an awesome team this year and fully deserved the championship. I just wish that NCSU had not taken such a fall from grace in basketball. I almost cannot bare to see video from '74 or '83 simply because of what they used to be.

I live in Charlotte, and it's the same way here. They(the media) are all UNC fans, or pretty close to it. when Duke won the title in 2001, there was barely a word about it on the news or in the newspaper. When UNC won 4 years ago, it was breaking news for the entire week. It got to the point where the news crew wore championship shirts during the news segments.

Honestly I don't even take the Charlotte media seriously anymore anyways, their disrespect to the Hurricanes and the 06 stanley cup p'ed me off. Can only imagine their NHL playoff coverage this year, probably takes a backseat to the Wachovia golf tournament :rolleyes:

Anyways, go Pack, next year!

I live in Charlotte, and it's the same way here. They(the media) are all UNC fans, or pretty close to it. when Duke won the title in 2001, there was barely a word about it on the news or in the newspaper. When UNC won 4 years ago, it was breaking news for the entire week. It got to the point where the news crew wore championship shirts during the news segments.

Honestly I don't even take the Charlotte media seriously anymore anyways, their disrespect to the Hurricanes and the 06 stanley cup p'ed me off. Can only imagine their NHL playoff coverage this year, probably takes a backseat to the Wachovia golf tournament :rolleyes:

Anyways, go Pack, next year!

Growing up in Charlotte I can understand not taking them seriously. At least the guys on WRAL pass the love around, some are UNC fans some are State fans some are Duke fans and all of them love the Canes. Charlotte doesnt care about anybody but charlotte. They want to be the state capitol, and they have the panthers and the bobcats, but then dont understand how raleigh/durham/chapel hill gets all the love as the whole state prefers college basketball to pro, and many are becoming (or like us, already are) rabid hockey fans.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but as my sister is a UNC journalism grad doing sports at the Fayetteville paper, I think most of the papers in NC are owned by the same company. They are all probably trying to mimic each other and save themselves from dying a slow painful death (which it's too late). Does anyone even read the paper anymore? Even the early morning edition is old news.

Whats a real shame is the complete opposite of too much coverage. When my sister worked at the Durham paper, they got bought out and laid off half the staff, including the Raleigh beat writer who covered the Canes and Wolfpack..(and had worked there 25 years).. the papers reasoning? No one in Durham cares about NC State... even though thousands of State alums live in Durham.... So.. the Durham paper (unless they have changed) no longer covers NC State at all. My sister wasnt part of the layoff, but when she saw what the new management was about she left. She was working the sports desk by herself doing the work of 4 people. She's trying desperately to get into magazines or something since newspapers will soon go the way of the DoDo.

I'm posting a bit late, but hey... I had some sleep to catch up on after that late night. :)

Everything about reliving April 4, 2005 was amazing, but the best part of the entire night was seeing Tyler go out as a national champion. Nobody deserves it more than him, and seeing his reaction as his dream became a reality was just great. I'm really going to miss him, Danny, and the rest of the seniors (along with Ty and Wayne, who I'm sure will head to the NBA), but come next fall, it'll be kind of fun to have a whole new start. Kind of like 2005-2006, except that we'll have a few more notable names returning from this team than we did then.

This has honestly been one of the most boring NCAA tournaments I have ever witnessed.

I disagree. :lol: