The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2008-2009 college basketball thread

Cleveland State goes into the Carrier Dome and upsets #11 Syracuse...

..with a 65 footer at the horn!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XU7qhNcjSc''>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XU7qhNcjSc' target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XU7qhNcjSc[/post]

I just saw that on Sportscenter... SICK! They upset #12 last year too (they said who it was but i missed it)

I saw UNC rolled over ARK-PB, whoever that is.. LOL Where do they find these teams to line up for the slaughter?

State beat ECU for the second year in a row and handed the pirates thier second loss. ECU's next game is against #10 WFU... ouch.. good luck with that one.. State's next game is against Lipscomb (?) of the Atlantic Sun.. whoever they are.. LOL.. a team I've actually never heard of. I guess its not as bad as playing the EA Sports Allstars.. LOL..

State beat ECU for the second year in a row and handed the pirates thier second loss. ECU's next game is against #10 WFU... ouch.. good luck with that one.. State's next game is against Lipscomb (?) of the Atlantic Sun.. whoever they are.. LOL.. a team I've actually never heard of. I guess its not as bad as playing the EA Sports Allstars.. LOL..

You do remember we lost to them last year? Thats' kinda why this game was a big deal.

Anyway, it was clear our gameplan was to make their PG do the scoring and take away their shooters, namely Hinnant. We generally didn't make too many mistakes. Big game for Costner.

We get Marquette next week. Saw them last night against Tennessee. Marquette ran a 1-3-1 and trapped Tenn.'s PGs alot. I can see them causing a bushel of turnovers when they play us.

About halfway through the first half of tonight's thrashing of Evansville, Tyler became the all-time leading scorer in Tar Heel history. Next up... NBA bench-rider J.J. Redick and the all-time ACC scoring lead. He's about 470 points away, so he should be able to reach that.

You do remember we lost to them last year? Thats' kinda why this game was a big deal.

Anyway, it was clear our gameplan was to make their PG do the scoring and take away their shooters, namely Hinnant. We generally didn't make too many mistakes. Big game for Costner.

We get Marquette next week. Saw them last night against Tennessee. Marquette ran a 1-3-1 and trapped Tenn.'s PGs alot. I can see them causing a bushel of turnovers when they play us.

I swear they said we beat them last year? Oh well.. I only caught a 5 second blurb on the radio since the game wasnt on TV. State looks good so far this year.. I thought they handled the Davidson game as well as they could.. didnt get blown out, held on till the last couple of minutes.. every other game we should have won and we have. Looking forward to the start of ACC season in January.

About halfway through the first half of tonight's thrashing of Evansville, Tyler became the all-time leading scorer in Tar Heel history. Next up... NBA bench-rider J.J. Redick and the all-time ACC scoring lead. He's about 470 points away, so he should be able to reach that.

Good video regarding Hansbrough breaking the UNC scoring record here:

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/inside/roywilliams/video-iframe.html?&url=http://mfile.akamai.com/8108/wmv/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/unc/08-09/video/m-baskbl/12dec/Hans-UNC-Pts-Record_CSTV_NEW.asx' target="_blank">http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/inside/roywill...rd_CSTV_NEW.asx[/post]

State leads the whole game and collapses in the last couple minutes. How many times have we seen that movie over the last decade-plus? We can be competitive with people, but we have no capability of finishing whatsoever.

State leads the whole game and collapses in the last couple minutes. How many times have we seen that movie over the last decade-plus? We can be competitive with people, but we have no capability of finishing whatsoever.

Blame shot selection... down by two and trying to take NBA range 3s when you dont really need one and clanking it off the front of the rim... whats up with that? They did that like 3 possessions in a row.. luckily Marquette turned it over and missed shots or else that 2 point lead woulda been 10. All in all though I'm not that upset.. I mean you lose the game at the last second to a long 3? Thats not a bad loss. So far our two tests against ranked opponents have both been loses but have both been close. That James kid didnt score as many points as Stephan Curry did, but he was just as impossible to defend... Wierd one handed off balance half court shots and somehow they drop in? Thats just sick.

State is a much better team then they were last year, and yes its disheartening to lose that game we easily could have won, but we have already won 7 games this year when we only won 15 last year and 4 in the conference. We have 2 more low level games that should be wins before we have the challange of taking on Florida, and then we start the ACC season. If we go into ACC season 9-3 or 10-2 I think we will be in good shape to hit 20 wins this year and hopefully get selected for the tourney.

Damn......NCSU was so close to beating UF in Gainesville. I'm sorry, but as much as I love Sid Lowe, he cost us this game. If you have a 11 point lead, you double team the guy that starts to make a run on your lead. Then at the end of the game you don't have Ben McCauley, your center, guarding the best guard on Florida's team. I have NO IDEA what in the hell that was designed to do. Then Degand tried to dribble through 3 guys into the land and fumbled the ball. NCSU is miles ahead of where they were last year, but we need a PG to help be a floor general on the court. I put this loss on Lowe as much as I like him, but if we had a PG that was at the very least decent then we wouldn't have to rely as much on our coaching.

Damn......NCSU was so close to beating UF in Gainesville. I'm sorry, but as much as I love Sid Lowe, he cost us this game. If you have a 11 point lead, you double team the guy that starts to make a run on your lead. Then at the end of the game you don't have Ben McCauley, your center, guarding the best guard on Florida's team. I have NO IDEA what in the hell that was designed to do. Then Degand tried to dribble through 3 guys into the land and fumbled the ball. NCSU is miles ahead of where they were last year, but we need a PG to help be a floor general on the court. I put this loss on Lowe as much as I like him, but if we had a PG that was at the very least decent then we wouldn't have to rely as much on our coaching.

I watched the last 5 minutes of both halves, and was thoroughly disappointed after the game ended. I would have really loved to have seen a win, and I think we could have won it if was in the RBC. But yeah, I completely agree with everything you said, its a pretty was a pretty big breakdown by the Pack.

Then at the end of the game you don't have Ben McCauley, your center, guarding the best guard on Florida's team. I have NO IDEA what in the hell that was designed to do.

They kept running pick-and-rolls the caused McCauley to get switched onto Calathes. Apparently our games are completely incapable of fighting through a screen. This happened repeatedly in the second half, especially in the last few minutes when it felt like UF scored on every possession except the one where Fells blocked two shots

I did see the pick and rolls throughout the second half to get Calathes open, but if you look at the replay of Calathes' last shot, both Costner and McCauley were set up towards the 3 point line when UF was bringing the ball down the court and all three guards were set up underneath the basket. It was like a 2-3 zone, but the big men out top and the guards down low.

And down goes Carolina. At home. In the ACC opener. To BC.

Pathetic effort by the Heels. They were outhustled for 38 minutes, BC got every rebound and loose ball. Carolina couldn't hit free throws. For 35 minutes, everything BC threw up was falling. A perfect storm of things came together and Carolina paid for it. Maybe now they'll get their heads out of their you know whats and come to work again. This team hasn't had a killer instinct since the Michigan State game.

Pitiful.

Hey... at least this ends the talk about the undefeated season. Now we can focus solely on winning the national championship instead of having to tune out all these people wondering if we'd run the table.

Hey... at least this ends the talk about the undefeated season. Now we can focus solely on winning the national championship instead of having to tune out all these people wondering if we'd run the table.

Yeah.. I'm sure thats EXACTLY what most Carolina fans are thinking right now.. LOL *tongue in cheek*

State has figured out how to be good at one thing this year at least.... LOSING CLOSE GAMES!!! The Clemson game and the FSU game ended the same way... State had a 4 point lead, threw the ball out of bounds 3 or 4 possessions in a row trying god knows what and then the opponent scores 8 to 10 points in a row to take a lead... Against Clemson it happened at the end of the first half.. game over... at FSU it was tied with three or 4 minutes left.. FSU ends up winning by 6 or 8... You dont need a half court 3 ball when your only down by 4.. what are they thinking? Coach Lowe better get his guys in shape soon cause this is pathetic... Coulda beat Davidson fought hard lost by 5...Didnt really throw that one away... Curry scores 42 and we only lose by 5.. not bad.. Had Florida dead to rights beat and threw it away... Had Clemson on the ropes and blew it.. Really should have beat FSU last night... A bad theme is appearing here State's tied or down by two.. think they have to win the game with one shot.. try a long 3 ball, or throw it out of bounds on a attempted ale`oop and then give the other team 4 free points to blow the game wide open.

At least the good news is we are tied with UNC at 0-2 in conference play.... LOL

Giving up already? Come on... at least try to beat them. I mean, we can't play Duke every single game, so we have to have other teams beating them, of course.

Giving up already? Come on... at least try to beat them. I mean, we can't play Duke every single game, so we have to have other teams beating them, of course.

Thats assuming that Carolina can in fact beat Duke..... :blink:

Giving up is different than being realistic. I'll be watching and routing for GT tonight but I fully expect my graduate school, Duke, to embarrasses my alma mater on national TV. So I'm not entertaining any delusions about GT winning until they are up when the clock ticks 0.

And from the little I've watched UNC this year I wouldn't be so cocky about them beating Duke. But regardless of who wins those games Wake Forest looks like the team to beat at the moment.

I wasn't being cocky... I was just saying that since we can't play them every game, we don't have the opportunity to beat them ourselves.

State vs. Ga. Tech on Saturday ... someone has to win. I think the fans might charge the floor after that game, one way or the other, lol. I mean really, if we lose to GT at home there will probably be riots or something, on message boards at least.

I'll be there to witness the carnage first hand though, there with my dad (a GT alum) to watch a game that could set basketball back decades.

State vs. Ga. Tech on Saturday ... someone has to win. I think the fans might charge the floor after that game, one way or the other, lol. I mean really, if we lose to GT at home there will probably be riots or something, on message boards at least.

I'll be there to witness the carnage first hand though, there with my dad (a GT alum) to watch a game that could set basketball back decades.

Hey we finally got a win! Now we have Duke to look forward to tonight.. OH JOY!!!! AT DUKE!! Thrilling.. oh the fun of being a State fan.

I wasn't being cocky... I was just saying that since we can't play them every game, we don't have the opportunity to beat them ourselves.

I watched both the Carolina games this weekend while I was hanging out with my parents... they tried hard to lose the Virginia game, and yet Virginia still couldnt hang with them in the second half.. the crazy thing about that game was Hansborough had like 20 something points (22, 24.. i dont remember) and like 17 of them were free throws. I know thats his game, but it was crazy to watch someone with 1 basket and 10 FTs in the first half as the leading scorer. The Miami game was never in doubt.. sure Miami jumped out to an early lead.. like 11-7 or something, but after that Carolina just took off.. Miami turned the ball over way too much... low scoring game.. lots of blocks and turnovers.. but Carolina had that 15 point lead at the half.. They ended up winning by 22 or so, so they didnt build much on the lead, but of course you dont have to. Danny Green dropping NBA range threes... he hit like 3 from the same spot on the floor.. you knew they were good before he even shot them.

Carolina is scary good.. the 0-2 conference record to start sucks.. but now in hindsight, the Wake lose is not that bad, only undefeated team left in the nation, new #1.. thats ok... so only the lose to BC was a little baffling, but in the end that one wont matter to much probably.

State's next four games are @Duke, @BC, Miami and Carolina at home.. 2-2 would be awesome.. but more then likely 0-4.. Maybe a win @BC, but probably not.