The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2008-2009 college basketball thread

Why is it that you guys always play Duke close in Cameron, then let them pull away? It's been like the past several years, and tonight was no different.

As far as tomorrow night... over/under on Wayne Ellington's points: 32. Although the way he played against Miami, I think he might have thought the Clemson game was Saturday night and not tomorrow night. :lol:

Why is it that you guys always play Duke close in Cameron, then let them pull away? It's been like the past several years, and tonight was no different.

Precise reason why I stopped watching the game with about 7 minutes left...just knew that it'd happen.

Precise reason why I stopped watching the game with about 7 minutes left...just knew that it'd happen.

I was flipping back and forth between the State game and the Canes game, wasnt sure which one would be worse.. turned out the Canes game was good. I was excitied with the 4 point lead at the half, and the 7 point lead early in the second.. but all season long State has been blowing games in the second half.. literally "throwing them away" with turnovers and bad shots... when i flipped back and Duke was up by like 5 and said Duke had hit 5 of 6 threes in the second half I knew the game was over. Every "big game" so far this year, Davidson, undefeated Clemson, Florida, Duke... they have been tied or even ahead at the half and still end up losing by 10 or more. I didnt expect us to hang with Duke, but when your up by 4 at the half and then pull away further in the second how do you let that go? Sheesh... Last year I didnt think coaching was the issue.. this year it most definately is.. if Lowe doesnt get his act together his head will roll.

I was flipping back and forth between the State game and the Canes game, wasnt sure which one would be worse.. turned out the Canes game was good. I was excitied with the 4 point lead at the half, and the 7 point lead early in the second.. but all season long State has been blowing games in the second half.. literally "throwing them away" with turnovers and bad shots... when i flipped back and Duke was up by like 5 and said Duke had hit 5 of 6 threes in the second half I knew the game was over. Every "big game" so far this year, Davidson, undefeated Clemson, Florida, Duke... they have been tied or even ahead at the half and still end up losing by 10 or more. I didnt expect us to hang with Duke, but when your up by 4 at the half and then pull away further in the second how do you let that go? Sheesh... Last year I didnt think coaching was the issue.. this year it most definately is.. if Lowe doesnt get his act together his head will roll.

Yea I agree. The talent is there...maybe not enough yet to hang with the Devils or Heels consistently but still it's there...and the team has shown it in games too. Just can't finish any of the big ones. Frustrating.

Honestly I was happy with the way NCSU played against Duke. I was mad that we lost it at the end and really should've won, but I never thought we'd even make a game of it considering we have no one on the team who can play PG and we only have two consistent scorers now that Fells is hurting some. Our biggest problem is that I don't think any guard on our team can consistently make a 3 pointer. We have absolutely ZERO outside game.

I think that we still would've had a shot at it, but Duke compeltely shot lights out in the 2nd half. Like close to 80% or something. I cannot wait until NCSU gets Lorenzo Brown to play PG next year and possibly also John Wall. We need some decent guards because we won't start winning until we do.

Oh and I hate Greg Paulus. I forgot how much I hated him until I watched the State/Duke game, there is just something about him that makes my blood boil when I see him or hear his name on the tube.

Honestly I was happy with the way NCSU played against Duke. I was mad that we lost it at the end and really should've won, but I never thought we'd even make a game of it considering we have no one on the team who can play PG and we only have two consistent scorers now that Fells is hurting some. Our biggest problem is that I don't think any guard on our team can consistently make a 3 pointer. We have absolutely ZERO outside game.

I think that we still would've had a shot at it, but Duke compeltely shot lights out in the 2nd half. Like close to 80% or something. I cannot wait until NCSU gets Lorenzo Brown to play PG next year and possibly also John Wall. We need some decent guards because we won't start winning until we do.

Oh and I hate Greg Paulus. I forgot how much I hated him until I watched the State/Duke game, there is just something about him that makes my blood boil when I see him or hear his name on the tube.

It was the same with the Davidson game.. it should not have even been close.. State hung in there while Curry hung up 42, was tied or close at the half and we only lost by 5 or 7... Hopefully sooner or later the luck will turn our way and these close losses will become close wins, but we always seem to be on the negative side.

Yeah.. the living and dying by the three needs to end quickly because none of the guys could hit them.. I understand back when the team used to be 80% or more from behind the arc, but we arent the Archie Miller team anymore. We got two or three big guys that need to be in the paint slammin the ball and getting fouled.. why the heck is McCauley shooting threes? The team seems to play the wrong plays at the wrong time.... when your down by 20 maybe you shoot half court threes.. but when your down by only 2.. drive the LANE! an easy layup ties the game and a and-1 gives you the lead... duh.. i mean how hard is that? I dont think its talent this year, i'm starting to think its coaching cause the team seems out of sorts and runs odd plays at the wrong times.

Well that lasted all of a few days but Duke almost pulled it out despite only Singler and Henderson showing up in the second hlaf. Wake Forest is definitely for real, it will be interesting to see who takes the ACC championship this year, it looks like it should be close between UNC, Wake, and Duke.

What a dream doubleheader at the Castle today... I wish I could be there for both games. :(

I hope the same thing happens next season, though, because I will definitely make sure to get tickets for the combo.

Cheap foul by Ben McCauley at the end... although Cope could have done a better job of keeping his cool. Both players are at fault in this, but McCauley should have never committed the foul to begin with, so he's more at fault, in my opinion. It reminded me of you-know-who's inexcusable shot on Tyler two years ago... although on a much lesser scale, it reheated a rivalry after a fairly boring game.

Seemed like we relied too much on the outside shot in the 2nd. It was nice to see the pink in the crowd today, I hope the Hurricanes do something like a patch on their jerseys or something.

As for the ending, well I could feel it was coming. I hope we give UNC a better game in Chapel Hill but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I was at the game today and I was overall really surprised by how State played. They haven't been able to buy a 3 pointer all season and was nearly 50% today. All their points come in the paint, and they couldn't make a damn layup today. With the 3 point shooting NCSU displayed today they should've won, but McCauley and Smith missed multiple lay ups in the 1st half and whenever Fells would hit a 3 in his blistering run, no one would get back quick enough on Defense to stop UNC from scoring an easy bucket. I was overall happy with the effort State had, their bench played VERY well, but subpar games from Costner and McCauley wasn't going to get it done against UNC, it was closer than 17 for most of the game and State impressed me by battling back. State limited the Turn Overs and if they can ever just get their big 3 of McCauley/Fells/Costner on at the same time then they could REALLY compete with most of the ACC, that is why I'm excited about next year because they'll be much deeper at Guard. Degand/Mays/Brown/(Wall?)/Scott Wood sounds REALLY good.

Also I want to give a shout out to McCauley, sure he played like *edit*, but I loved the foul on UNC's #40 at the end. UNC always runs up the score and dunking with 2 seconds left when you're up 15 was bush league. Typical Roy Williams/Dean Smith UNC basketball by running up the score. Then their thug went after McCauley and Costner was standing up for his team mate going toe to toe with the guy.

Also the best sign at the game was in reference to Danny Green's comments about the RBC having a 'country atmosphere'. There was a sign that said "Country atmosphere.....better than a gay atmosphere....". I don't know how he snuck that bad boy in.

Also the best sign at the game was in reference to Danny Green's comments about the RBC having a 'country atmosphere'. There was a sign that said "Country atmosphere.....better than a gay atmosphere....". I don't know how he snuck that bad boy in.

LOL I missed that! Damn I need to find a pic if possible.

Also I want to give a shout out to McCauley, sure he played like *edit*, but I loved the foul on UNC's #40 at the end. UNC always runs up the score and dunking with 2 seconds left when you're up 15 was bush league. Typical Roy Williams/Dean Smith UNC basketball by running up the score. Then their thug went after McCauley and Costner was standing up for his team mate going toe to toe with the guy.

"Bush league" is a flagrant foul. I don't care what leads up to it. Copeland's a "thug" because he went after McCauley immediately after McCauley physically assaulted him? Um... what does that make McCauley then? It sure as hell doesn't make him a competent basketball player.

Copeland is a senior who gets minimal playing time. The game is 40 minutes, not 39:50. You bet your bottom dollar Cope's going up with that one. It's not like Carolina's starters were in the game jacking up 3's - that was State, thank you very much. Perhaps had your team not quit playing altogether, Copeland doesn't wind up under the basket with a chance for a dunk.

You don't want UNC to run up the score? Make a frickin layup or play some defense! WAHHHHHHHHH, a reserve tried to dunk with two seconds left. Get over it.

"Yeah, our biggest rival - who doesn't see us as THEIR biggest rival and hasn't for at least a quarter century - just handed our tails to us in our own building, but hey, check out the derogatory placards in the crowd!"

It must suck to be a State fan.

"Bush league" is a flagrant foul. I don't care what leads up to it. Copeland's a "thug" because he went after McCauley immediately after McCauley physically assaulted him? Um... what does that make McCauley then? It sure as hell doesn't make him a competent basketball player.

Copeland is a senior who gets minimal playing time. The game is 40 minutes, not 39:50. You bet your bottom dollar Cope's going up with that one. It's not like Carolina's starters were in the game jacking up 3's - that was State, thank you very much. Perhaps had your team not quit playing altogether, Copeland doesn't wind up under the basket with a chance for a dunk.

You don't want UNC to run up the score? Make a frickin layup or play some defense! WAHHHHHHHHH, a reserve tried to dunk with two seconds left. Get over it.

"Yeah, our biggest rival - who doesn't see us as THEIR biggest rival and hasn't for at least a quarter century - just handed our tails to us in our own building, but hey, check out the derogatory placards in the crowd!"

It must suck to be a State fan.

So are you a moderator, or a fire starter? Incredibly defensive, and childish, for someone who's team won the game.

So are you a moderator, or a fire starter? Incredibly defensive, and childish, for someone who's team won the game.

Excuse the hell out of me for defending my team after someone ACTIVELY ENCOURAGES AND SUPPORTS a blatant, cheap, and totally unnecessary flagrant foul on one of my players that could have injured him. What am I gonna do? Delete the post? If I do that, I'm being biased. If I don't, I'm entitled to a response.

One team today played within the rules of basketball - one did not. I'll leave it at that. I'm out.

Just loved one of the headlines on the front page of the N and O today:

http://www.newsobserver.com/content/print/front_pdf/1-A-Sat-January-31-09.pdf' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/content/print/...nuary-31-09.pdf[/post]

Better question though would be:

Why can't Sidney Lowe ever get his team to reach its full potential?

at least Lowe did beat Roy Williams, something Sendek couldnt do. I hope these new guys next year will help us out.

Excuse the hell out of me for defending my team after someone ACTIVELY ENCOURAGES AND SUPPORTS a blatant, cheap, and totally unnecessary flagrant foul on one of my players that could have injured him. What am I gonna do? Delete the post? If I do that, I'm being biased. If I don't, I'm entitled to a response.

One team today played within the rules of basketball - one did not. I'll leave it at that. I'm out.

Nothing wrong with defending your team, or a player, just the way you did it was unnecesary.

And no player should go for a dunk in the dying seconds of a game that's already over; that's just asking to be nailed to the floor. Any player on any team would have done what McCauley did, that is if they have respect for the game and their team. It was a bad show of sportsmanship by Copeland to go for a dunk, and in return McCauley lowered the bar to send a message. These are young men playing sports; you don't disrespect your opponent without there being a price to pay.