The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2008-2009 college basketball thread

"Bush league" is a flagrant foul. I don't care what leads up to it. Copeland's a "thug" because he went after McCauley immediately after McCauley physically assaulted him? Um... what does that make McCauley then? It sure as hell doesn't make him a competent basketball player.

Exactly. Like I said, Cope should have restrained himself and shown he was the bigger man by not giving in to McCauley's punk move, but you should never touch a player when he's going up for a layup/dunk. Losing Tyler Jr. for the season because of such an act has made me very much against that.

"Yeah, our biggest rival - who doesn't see us as THEIR biggest rival and hasn't for at least a quarter century - just handed our tails to us in our own building, but hey, check out the derogatory placards in the crowd!"

It must suck to be a State fan.

It never ceases to make me laugh how jealous State is of us. They treat every game against us like it's their national championship. And you're completely right about the rivalry... it's almost become solely their thing, because we're more focused on our far more important rivalry with a team who actually fields a competitive basketball team every season.

You two are over the top.

Taking a wild guess, you guys must think that Copeland did nothing wrong by going for the dunk? Well, if the players have the same caliber of gamesmanship as you two display, then it's no wonder that they taste the floor as much as they do. The elitist perch is a nice place to stay, but be warned that it comes with plenty of hard knocks from those below you. If the Heels can't handle this, then I suggest they display some character along with all that skill.

And whether or not any Heels fan wants to recognize us as a rival doesn't matter; the two teams have been playing each other forever and are in close proximity to each other, and both play in a very competitive league with lots of history, so the rivalry is there. I know that it's hard for Tar Heel fans to see much from the perch, but still try not to let the blue render you so ignorant.

Oh, and if any Heels fan has a response to my comments, then I look forward to hearing it. Please, however, leave behind the biased and argumentative stance.

Exactly. Like I said, Cope should have restrained himself and shown he was the bigger man by not giving in to McCauley's punk move, but you should never touch a player when he's going up for a layup/dunk. Losing Tyler Jr. for the season because of such an act has made me very much against that.

It never ceases to make me laugh how jealous State is of us. They treat every game against us like it's their national championship. And you're completely right about the rivalry... it's almost become solely their thing, because we're more focused on our far more important rivalry with a team who actually fields a competitive basketball team every season.

Say what??? Wow.. you must be smoking the good stuff.. please share.

And for THM... I'm not getting involved, but when according to you UNC can do no wrong it kinda funny for you to talk about being "unbaised"...

Try having every player you every tried to recruit get stolen from you by UNC or Duke because of the damn nike swoosh on the jersey. They see it as a 1 year step to the nba.. which is all NCAA basketball has become anyway.. congrats on being good at the biggest joke in sports.. enjoy that.

"Bush league" is a flagrant foul. I don't care what leads up to it. Copeland's a "thug" because he went after McCauley immediately after McCauley physically assaulted him? Um... what does that make McCauley then? It sure as hell doesn't make him a competent basketball player.

Copeland is a senior who gets minimal playing time. The game is 40 minutes, not 39:50. You bet your bottom dollar Cope's going up with that one. It's not like Carolina's starters were in the game jacking up 3's - that was State, thank you very much. Perhaps had your team not quit playing altogether, Copeland doesn't wind up under the basket with a chance for a dunk.

You don't want UNC to run up the score? Make a frickin layup or play some defense! WAHHHHHHHHH, a reserve tried to dunk with two seconds left. Get over it.

"Yeah, our biggest rival - who doesn't see us as THEIR biggest rival and hasn't for at least a quarter century - just handed our tails to us in our own building, but hey, check out the derogatory placards in the crowd!"

It must suck to be a State fan.

It must suck to be a moderator who insults other members for voicing their opinions about a basketball game. You won and you still had to gloat, typical UNC.

UNC fans have the viewpoint that State sucks, yeah we do suck. We haven't been any good in basketball since the Jimmy V situation (and what helped to escalate that situation....the N&O, full of UNC journalism grads). We have a chip on our shoulder because UNC has gotten so much better since then and Duke has taken our place as your top rival. We treat this as our Super Bowl because based on the media covearge Duke/UNC get now it is extremely hard for NCSU to compete for recruits. The State/UNC rivalry used to be just as intense as the Duke/UNC one is now, but becasue State went on the decline when Duke went on its rise, no one remembers State and UNC used to be big rivals if they live outside of NC.

There was 2 seconds left in the game, State was down big and UNC (no matter if it was their scrub team) was still trying to score. McCauley didn't take Copeland or whatever his name is and thrown him to the floor. Yeah it was an intentional, but not a technical. Copeland got up and wanted to fight. Then he got thrown out. Did Ben get tossed? No, UNC was the only one to have their player tossed. Sure Ben started the tussle with the hard foul, but even the announcers said Copeland blew the whole thing way out of proportion. Also hard fouls are in the so called 'rules of basketball'. That is part of the game, if one team feels the other team is running up the score then things will get dicey. And if you think for one minute that that foul from McCauley could've ever seriously injured Copeland then UNC needs to look into getting a whole new strength coach and medical team because that is ridiculous. I've seen harder fouls in rec games.

State was jacking up 3s because all you had to do was watch two seconds of the game and realize that that was the only way State could score. It wasn't that we weren't trying it was just that Smith/McCauley couldn't score on anything other than one dunk the entire game while in the paint.

LOTS of UNC fans were complaining after State's big 41-10 football win this past season that State didn't need to keep driving the ball even though State didn't pass the ball once in the 4th quarter. That pissed a lot of State fans off because to be completely honest that was our biggest win against UNC in either sport in a LONGGGG time and UNC is known (especially during the Smith years) to run the score up. A hypocritical attitude is exhibited to perfection by a vast majority of UNC fans in this case.

UNC's Danny Green said the whole country atmosphere thing. UNC insults NCSU all the time for being an engineering and agricultural school, while UNC is fine arts. They look down on State because of that. They insult State and all the UNC fans think it is funny, but if one State fan mentions one thing about the 'gay' atmosphere at UNC they fly off the handle and call it a derogatory comment. Again hypocrisy at its finest.

I'm not jealous of UNC at all. I've been accepted to both UNC and State and have seriously been considering each of them, but I'm leaning toward State not only because I've grown up a State fan, but because UNC is full of arrogant rich boys who feel like it is their God given right to insult others because they either graduated or attend the high and mighty University of North Carolina and I don't want to be around those d-bags. It is the same sort of attitude the Northern hockey fans have when they reference the Canes, the Caniacs and the area.

Try having every player you every tried to recruit get stolen from you by UNC or Duke because of the damn nike swoosh on the jersey. They see it as a 1 year step to the nba.. which is all NCAA basketball has become anyway.. congrats on being good at the biggest joke in sports.. enjoy that.

They don't get taken because of the swoosh, they get taken because Duke and UNC have the history and the recent records and championships that NC State doesn't (not to mention both are better schools than NC State its engineering school aside). If you're a big time recruit you want the big stage and that is Duke, UNC, UCLA etc. Not NC State or you are going to stay in the area you grew up like Derek Favors did picking GT over NCST. Now I'm not saying NC State's got no history or is a bad program by any means (it is historically a top 25 team most likely), its problem is that it lives in two of the top five teams in college basketballs history's back yards so it is going to loose its share of local recruits to them. State can't become UNC or Duke overnight, it's just not going to happen, but that seems to be what the majority of the fans expect of Lowe or anyone else who coaches there.

NC State's best years came before the era of ESPN. The UNC/Duke rivalry heated up when the State/UNC rivalry went on the decline and the rise of ESPN helped to promote the UNC/Duke rivalry to the point where I find it sickening. Most historic rivalry in sports?! No, there is no way you can say that after only around 20 years of their rivalry.

I have much more confidence in Lowe to get this program back to the level of where UNC/Duke are now than I did in Sendek. Am I frusterated as hell that I feel Lowe has cost us some games against big time teams this year? Yeah, but I think you have to give him until most of the players on the roster are his guys until you say he has got to be fired. Sendek helped to restore the winning attitude after the Robinson era, but that was all he did. He was stuck in mediocrity for the last 6-7 years he was the coach. He didn't build on anything, he was never in the running for big recruits and he never alterted his system based on the skills of his players. I still say that if you had given Lowe Brackman, Bethel, Atsur, Simmons and Bennerman during that one year then State contends for an ACC title. Sendek wasn't willing to change that ****ing Princeton offense at all. A lot of people are all over Lowe right now, but he lost so many recruits during the transition period between him and Sendek. He has a lot of young Freshman, some mediocre transfers to fill in the gaps and the upper classman left overs of Sendek's team. Even w/o Wall, State still has a pretty impressive class coming in over the next two years, and still has the potential to have a top 5 class this year based on the remaining recruits.

And of course UNC/Duke are better schools than State if you ignore their engineering school. Why? Because NC State is an engineering school. There is a saying that a lot of people (unless you're a UNC supporter) believe that it is much harder to get into UNC, but it is harder to stay in State. That is supported by the recent N&O article saying that UNC used to have an average GPA of something between 2.7 and 2.9, I don't remember the exact number. UNC said they'd fix that because it was much too high, now the average GPA is a 3.2.

Here's the link:

http://www.newsobserver.com/1366/story/1381084.html

They don't get taken because of the swoosh, they get taken because Duke and UNC have the history and the recent records and championships that NC State doesn't (not to mention both are better schools than NC State its engineering school aside). If you're a big time recruit you want the big stage and that is Duke, UNC, UCLA etc. Not NC State or you are going to stay in the area you grew up like Derek Favors did picking GT over NCST. Now I'm not saying NC State's got no history or is a bad program by any means (it is historically a top 25 team most likely), its problem is that it lives in two of the top five teams in college basketballs history's back yards so it is going to loose its share of local recruits to them. State can't become UNC or Duke overnight, it's just not going to happen, but that seems to be what the majority of the fans expect of Lowe or anyone else who coaches there.

I just want a successful winning program. I dont care about blue chips or championships (look at J J Hickson, we are a better team without him). Sendek took us to the Tournament 5 years in a row, including a sweet sixteen berth and yet he left under pressure when Arizona State offered him a contract and State refused to match it, he wasnt "fired" per se, but he might as well have been. I was happy when he was coaching since we saw postseason play nearly every year, either NCAA or NIT, and I know people say the NIT doesnt matter, but it is still on national TV and you still get paid and get exposure to be there. I'm the last person to call for the head of a coach because I never like to see coaches get fired for stuff that's not their fault (ex. Laviolette, even though the change needed to be made, the problems were not his). but Sidney Lowe has GOT to go.. he is a terrible coach, last year I gave him the benefit of the doubt but he has tanked it this year... I dont expect us to beat teams like UNC, Florida, Davidson and Duke, but the fact that we got close to doing this year only to blow the games is frustrating. The reasons State will continue to stink is because Lee Fowler will hold on to Lowe for another 4 years before he finally realizes the man cant coach. Look at the Coach Amato scenario.. I was all excited we were winning games, and then I realized without Philip Rivers Amato had nothing and he showed that his last two years before he snuck back to FSU to leave the school holding the bag. What Tom Obrien has done with only half a roster and no recruiting done is amazing, he's basically had to build the program from the ground up. Normally I dont blame coaching but State needs a new coach NOW... A lot of UNCs and Dukes success is from Coach K and Dean Smith and Roy Williams. Blue chip coaches might be more important then blue chip players.

As far as the academics are concerned, I went to NC State, my sister UNC, half my cousins went the State the other half UNC, they are both great schools and I have respect for anyone who graduates from either one of them. But is that honestly why Atheletes go there? Does it mean more to get your Physical Education degree from UNC rather then NC State? LOL.. a degree you're never going to use? What makes UNC and Duke better schools? Medicine? Law? It funny you would say putting the engineering school aside, when thats over half the student population, like 25,000 out of 40k. State also has medicine, in the form of the premier most sought after hardest to get into Vet school in the nation. Where do you think all your dentistry, medicine and law students come from? Pre-dental, pre-med and pre-law programs at NC State. Anyway, argueing the academics is a moot point anyway, its totally unrelated to athletics and also every school in NC is a top accredited university, even the small ones like Fayettville State.

And of course UNC/Duke are better schools than State if you ignore their engineering school. Why? Because NC State is an engineering school. There is a saying that a lot of people (unless you're a UNC supporter) believe that it is much harder to get into UNC, but it is harder to stay in State. That is supported by the recent N&O article saying that UNC used to have an average GPA of something between 2.7 and 2.9, I don't remember the exact number. UNC said they'd fix that because it was much too high, now the average GPA is a 3.2.

I just want a successful winning program. I dont care about blue chips or championships (look at J J Hickson, we are a better team without him). Sendek took us to the Tournament 5 years in a row, including a sweet sixteen berth and yet he left under pressure when Arizona State offered him a contract and State refused to match it, he wasnt "fired" per se, but he might as well have been. I was happy when he was coaching since we saw postseason play nearly every year, either NCAA or NIT, and I know people say the NIT doesnt matter, but it is still on national TV and you still get paid and get exposure to be there. I'm the last person to call for the head of a coach because I never like to see coaches get fired for stuff that's not their fault (ex. Laviolette, even though the change needed to be made, the problems were not his). but Sidney Lowe has GOT to go.. he is a terrible coach, last year I gave him the benefit of the doubt but he has tanked it this year... I dont expect us to beat teams like UNC, Florida, Davidson and Duke, but the fact that we got close to doing this year only to blow the games is frustrating. The reasons State will continue to stink is because Lee Fowler will hold on to Lowe for another 4 years before he finally realizes the man cant coach. Look at the Coach Amato scenario.. I was all excited we were winning games, and then I realized without Philip Rivers Amato had nothing and he showed that his last two years before he snuck back to FSU to leave the school holding the bag. What Tom Obrien has done with only half a roster and no recruiting done is amazing, he's basically had to build the program from the ground up. Normally I dont blame coaching but State needs a new coach NOW... A lot of UNCs and Dukes success is from Coach K and Dean Smith and Roy Williams. Blue chip coaches might be more important then blue chip players.

As far as the academics are concerned, I went to NC State, my sister UNC, half my cousins went the State the other half UNC, they are both great schools and I have respect for anyone who graduates from either one of them. But is that honestly why Atheletes go there? Does it mean more to get your Physical Education degree from UNC rather then NC State? LOL.. a degree you're never going to use? What makes UNC and Duke better schools? Medicine? Law? It funny you would say putting the engineering school aside, when thats over half the student population, like 25,000 out of 40k. State also has medicine, in the form of the premier most sought after hardest to get into Vet school in the nation. Where do you think all your dentistry, medicine and law students come from? Pre-dental, pre-med and pre-law programs at NC State. Anyway, argueing the academics is a moot point anyway, its totally unrelated to athletics and also every school in NC is a top accredited university, even the small ones like Fayettville State.

Geez I try and give the engineering school its props for standing out and get slammed for it. UNC and Duke are better schools overall because they have better programs overall. Yes I realize we're not comparing apples to apples, as you mention NC State has a great vet school and the other two don't, and the rankings don't mean everything but if two schools are ranked in the top 30 compared to NC State's 85 that means something. Not to mention there is no way the engineering school is over half of the NC State undergraduate students (Wikipedia has it at 5,627 out of 23,730), and regardless of the Wikipedia correctness I know GT graduates more engineers a year than NC State with about 60% the number of students (12,966).

The reason athletes go to better schools is because some of them realize that they won't play in the pros. Now I realize this doesn't work for a lot of blue chip talent but if you aren't already projected as a lottery pick and have half a brain you have to realize that is a possibility. And if you know that why would go to NC State over UNC or Duke for anything other than engineering (and for some program's Duke engineering school over NC State's anyway)? And why would you choose NC State's engineering school over Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois, Michigan etc. if they were all offering you scholarships?

Academics argument aside you are absolutely correct on the coaches. A great coach is worth their weight in gold and that is exactly why the dominant schools are dominant, a great coach put them on the map and has kept them there, just look at UNC's relative struggles in the interim between Smith and Williams, which Duke will probably experience when Coach K retires.

Geez I try and give the engineering school its props for standing out and get slammed for it. UNC and Duke are better schools overall because they have better programs overall. Yes I realize we're not comparing apples to apples, as you mention NC State has a great vet school and the other two don't, and the rankings don't mean everything but if two schools are ranked in the top 30 compared to NC State's 85 that means something. Not to mention there is no way the engineering school is over half of the NC State undergraduate students (Wikipedia has it at 5,627 out of 23,730), and regardless of the Wikipedia correctness I know GT graduates more engineers a year than NC State with about 60% the number of students (12,966).

The reason athletes go to better schools is because some of them realize that they won't play in the pros. Now I realize this doesn't work for a lot of blue chip talent but if you aren't already projected as a lottery pick and have half a brain you have to realize that is a possibility. And if you know that why would go to NC State over UNC or Duke for anything other than engineering (and for some program's Duke engineering school over NC State's anyway)? And why would you choose NC State's engineering school over Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois, Michigan etc. if they were all offering you scholarships?

Academics argument aside you are absolutely correct on the coaches. A great coach is worth their weight in gold and that is exactly why the dominant schools are dominant, a great coach put them on the map and has kept them there, just look at UNC's relative struggles in the interim between Smith and Williams, which Duke will probably experience when Coach K retires.

I'm not slamming you man.. I just disagree that UNC and Duke are "better" schools with no reasons other than your opinion. All three schools are completely different and really can't be compared.. Like you said "its not apples to apples". UNC is a great school and i'm not slamming it, like a said, my sister is an Alum. Duke is a whole different monster then NCSU or UNC.. its a private school with a ridiculous amount of money, a low student body (like 9,000?) and a low professor to student ratio. Its impossible to get in, and only the best of the best of the best make it. The guys on Dukes basketball and football teams are there because of academics, not atheletics and so thier success (for mens and womens bball, and other non revenue sports like gymnastics, rifle, track and field etc) is fantastic. To say that UNC is better then NCSU is obviously just your opinion because the schools are nearly the same in enrollment, graduation rates etc etc.. a few percentage points difference here and there doesnt matter.. they are both large, public universitys. Thier curriculums though are the exact opposite. NC State was founded as the agricultural college after UNC was well established, and therefore things like Food Science, Poultry Science, Vet medicine, Textiles, Crop Science, and all of the engineering disciplines that go along with that (Chemical, Mechanical, Agricultural, Civil) are the big players. The largest "college" on State's campus is Physical and Mathematical sciences. A lot of the chemistry and biology majors are Pre-med, Pre-dental, and double majors like Chemistry/Chemical Engineering. I'm fairly certain the Engineering college is second largest.

What are the "better programs" overall that UNC and Duke has? Medicine? Law? Underwater basketweaving? Womens Studies? Ok, you have a few big ones, but the rest of liberal arts is just fluff... what good is a degree in Art History? It doesnt make you an artist, nor does it make you a historian. I have great respect for both Duke and UNC's medical programs, but get real.. UNC has just as many students flunking out as English majors as State does. College is college.. it doesnt make a difference really where you go. And I ask again.. how many atheletes do you know who major in engineering or prelaw? Yes, they are out there scattered around.. but the majority of atheletes major in physical education or sports medicine or something like that.. which is part of the atheletic program in that school, so the academic side of the school doesnt matter anyway.

Hey I'm not slamming you either. I just didn't see you giving 'props' to State's engineering school and I wanted to point out that all Universities have their own flaws and strengths.

I also agree with the whole argument about blue chip coaches being more valuable than blue chip players. The blue chip players (like Hickson was on NCSU) are gone in one or two years tops, but the coaches have more of a lasting impact. State had a coach like that in Valvano or Sloan, but the media then is dwarfed when compared to now. It just happened to be that ESPN and the rest of the media began to explode when Coach K had Duke on the rise and the Valvano fiasco had State on the decline. The UNC/Duke rivalry heated up at just the right time for ESPN to exploit the hell out of it. I'm a huge Red Sox fan and even I tire of ESPN's over blown coverage of Sox/Yanks. Now Lowe has to do the smart thing and get players that he feels can mature and grow to be great players by the time they reach their Sophomore/Junior years and take a few lumps their Freshman years because without a Coach K or Roy Williams, we aren't going to be getting the guys like Favors for example who are going to leave their comfort zone for another place away from home w/o the big time coach.

I'm not slamming you man.. I just disagree that UNC and Duke are "better" schools with no reasons other than your opinion. All three schools are completely different and really can't be compared.. Like you said "its not apples to apples". UNC is a great school and i'm not slamming it, like a said, my sister is an Alum. Duke is a whole different monster then NCSU or UNC.. its a private school with a ridiculous amount of money, a low student body (like 9,000?) and a low professor to student ratio. Its impossible to get in, and only the best of the best of the best make it. The guys on Dukes basketball and football teams are there because of academics, not atheletics and so thier success (for mens and womens bball, and other non revenue sports like gymnastics, rifle, track and field etc) is fantastic. To say that UNC is better then NCSU is obviously just your opinion because the schools are nearly the same in enrollment, graduation rates etc etc.. a few percentage points difference here and there doesnt matter.. they are both large, public universitys. Thier curriculums though are the exact opposite. NC State was founded as the agricultural college after UNC was well established, and therefore things like Food Science, Poultry Science, Vet medicine, Textiles, Crop Science, and all of the engineering disciplines that go along with that (Chemical, Mechanical, Agricultural, Civil) are the big players. The largest "college" on State's campus is Physical and Mathematical sciences. A lot of the chemistry and biology majors are Pre-med, Pre-dental, and double majors like Chemistry/Chemical Engineering. I'm fairly certain the Engineering college is second largest.

What are the "better programs" overall that UNC and Duke has? Medicine? Law? Underwater basketweaving? Womens Studies? Ok, you have a few big ones, but the rest of liberal arts is just fluff... what good is a degree in Art History? It doesnt make you an artist, nor does it make you a historian. I have great respect for both Duke and UNC's medical programs, but get real.. UNC has just as many students flunking out as English majors as State does. College is college.. it doesnt make a difference really where you go. And I ask again.. how many atheletes do you know who major in engineering or prelaw? Yes, they are out there scattered around.. but the majority of atheletes major in physical education or sports medicine or something like that.. which is part of the atheletic program in that school, so the academic side of the school doesnt matter anyway.

I know SAT scores ain't eveything but as an aggregate measure they're allright and they indicate that UNC is the better school. Each school has its strong points and there are good reasons to go to each head to head, but when you look at the average student at each school, UNC has the higher rating. We can debate the usefullness of a "liberal arts" education but I think that is way off topic, and we seem like we both think that science, math and engineering is way more useful anyway.

In the end student athlete's decisions can be affected by hundreds of things from coaching staff, history, weather, academics, the student body, scenery (which could be the same thing as the student body), closeness to home, where their friends are going, whose booster's gave them the best deal on a new car etc. Boiling it down to academics is way too simplified, which I admit I was dumb for doing so.

I was over at Duke yesterday for indoor hockey, and the building we play in is adjacent to where all the students had set up their tents for Wednesday's game vs. UNC. It was pretty cool to see...my mom talked to someone in tent 34 and they said that they had to have at least 8 people in the tent and up to 12 in the tent last night (Saturday). You have to have at least one person in the tent at all times and they do random tent checks. The area around the tents was extremely muddy too, it was pretty gross. I'm sure many of you have seen something like this before, but I am not old enough to go to college yet, so it was pretty cool :]

Sorry sir... as much as you'd like it to, that kind of stuff doesn't happen to us. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must continue the tradition:

2451.gif

That was nothing short of beautiful. I mean, did that seriously just happen? Wow. There is much joy inside of me right now. :D

Man that was ugly. Clemson and Wake have definitely shown the blueprint for beating Duke, pressure. Luckily not that many teams are going to be able to do that but it isn't a good sign for either tournament.

Man that was ugly. Clemson and Wake have definitely shown the blueprint for beating Duke, pressure. Luckily not that many teams are going to be able to do that but it isn't a good sign for either tournament.

I don't know...last night may have pushed those Dookies down metally pretty bad. I thought they were going to have to give Krazewski a tissue last night at the press conference.

Miami also must have showed the Nation the blueprint to beating Wake last night too... :lol:

Unbelievable butt whooping... Duke only scoring 47 points? How often does that happen? That looks more like a womens score. (Not to diss womens bball, but the matchups are usually lopsided). I dont think I've ever seen Duke get run off the court like that before. Wow.. I would say it could give us State fans hope, but not likely. At least we beat up on NC Central.. would hate to see the result if we lost that one. Ah.. I just noticed we only played Duke once this year.. at Duke and since we already got whooped in that one, it wont matter unless we see them again in the tourney, by which point they will have fixed their problems.

I don't know if Duke will really fix their problems by the tournament because their biggest one is they don't have a real point guard. Smith is better than Paulus in ability but he makes a fair number of mistakes especially when pressured. They are bound to fix their other big problem, not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with a shot, but that could always come back in any game since teams just get cold occasionally.

And returning to the earlier comment that that doesn't happen to UNC, I would like to remind you of the final four game last year against Kansas, that was just as pitiful even if the final score was closer.

Duke may have come back to win that game, but man... they are struggling. It'll be an exciting game as usual on Wednesday night, but I'm not as worried about them as I once was. They look headed for yet another early exit come March.

Not exactly happy with 76 points, but a win's a win. Typically Duke forces us down into the 70s, so we might just be there again on Wednesday night.

Duke may have come back to win that game, but man... they are struggling. It'll be an exciting game as usual on Wednesday night, but I'm not as worried about them as I once was. They look headed for yet another early exit come March.

Duke has struggled (at least by thier standards) for the last couple of years.. this year seems to have hit them pretty hard. Coming back to win in OT is good.. but they were down 16 to Miami... that just shouldnt happen. Plus getting just SPANKED by Clemson... Dont worry Gocanes88... it will be an ugly game, but not ugly on UNC's side.

Great first half by the Wolfpack at Blacksburg.. Only 2 or 3 turnovers, out-rebounding VT by a long shot.. 12 point lead at the half.. now lets see if State can play a second half without blowing a game. If we can keep the turnovers in check we can win, but VT is too good a transition.. turn it over and they will score.