The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac23

NFL or NHL?

I'll just copy what I put on the YouTube comments:

It depends on your definition of brutal. Football players are likely facing harder hits, because there are bigger bodies and often, the hits are multiple players hitting a single one.

However, the hockey season has 82 games compared to football's 16. Hockey players, on average, play 5 times as many games as the typical football player. Those games are also played one right after the other, giving very little time to heal from injuries. Playing a game a week isn't much when you consider a hockey player could have played 4 games during that same week.

So, football players face more "brutal" hits, but have a much less "brutal" season.

I will agree with Froggers statement "football players face more "brutal" hits, but have a much less "brutal" season," and go further by saying the football players have a much less "brutal" game in terms of game time played.

Let me explain: Top hockey players have total ice time of 17 to 22 minutes or so per game. In hockey, the clock only runs when the puck is in play -- when there is actual game action going on. Football, on the other hand, the clock is running a lot of the time when the game is not being played, when the ball is not in play. Players are getting back to the huddle, in the huddle, lining up, signals being called, etc. When you filter out all that, there are about 125 plays in an average football game. Top players probably only are in about 40 - 60 of those plays and the average play is only 7 seconds long. So the total "turf" time of the top football players is a measly 4 1/2 to 7 minutes!

For fans of the games, put another way: In hockey's 60 minutes of game clock time, you actually see 60 minutes of game action. In football, for 60 minutes of game clock time, you really only see about 14 1/2 minutes of game action. Hockey games generally are done in less than 2 1/2 hours while football drags on for over 3. No wonder the NFL makes so much in advertising revenue, three plus hours for a 14 minutes game! :blink:

In terms of action/ intensity and overal conditioning, the NHL is far more demanding. In terms of overall brute strength, the NFL would get the nod. Commericals have made both the NFL and NCAA Divion I football a pain to watch: three to three and a half hours for less than a half-hour of action.

Theres a reason the NFL season is only 16 games guys and not played more then once a week in most circumstances and it's not cause its laid back.

Football by a longshot.

i disagree, if football players had the injuries some of our guys do then most wouldn't be back for a week or two. I saw Sean Hills lip cut by a stick, he went into the locker to have his lower lip PUT BACK TOGETHER (5 stitches outside and 12 inside). he was back on the ice 5mins later, a football player would be out the rest of the game.

i disagree, if football players had the injuries some of our guys do then most wouldn't be back for a week or two. I saw Sean Hills lip cut by a stick, he went into the locker to have his lower lip PUT BACK TOGETHER (5 stitches outside and 12 inside). he was back on the ice 5mins later, a football player would be out the rest of the game.

and I disagree because a football player isn't going to get cut to make that even a comparison. He's got a helmet on with a metric butt load of bars on it so even fingers cant get in there. If and only if he gets hit so hard the helmet itself breaks his nose he'll throw a tissue up his nose and be right back on the field.

If football is so weak, why can a Quarterback the biggest suggested weenie on the field keep playing with a concussion and not be able to tell you anything he did after the 2nd quarter but a hockey player gets off the ice? We had Scott Stevens give half our team concussions in the playoffs and even they couldn't come back and apparently QB concussions and QB's playing through them is a major health concern however a QB can do it but I have not heard of a hockey player doing that. That's toughness... Stupid as hell...but thats toughness.

If football is so weak why are so many football athletes unable to walk after 50, or dying from football related illness's such as sleep apnea (sp error I'm sure) You just dont hear about that stuff from hockey, hell you cant play football unless your a kicker past 35 in most cases. We got Chelios and Howe playing til 50. A football player unless hes a kicker but who gives a poop about the kicker would be digging his grave by then. I mean look at some of these over 50 football players they look like a freakin mess and are battling with good reason for medical support that the young guys today get. Those guys are a mess, you've got Keyshawn Johnson on ESPN one day talking about how it takes him 10 minutes to get outta bed his knees are so locked up now.

I know you guys love hockey but geez, this just isn't even an argument.

Hockey players are tougher, they take more abuse and over 82+ games instead of 16. 'nuff said. How many football players would have done what Kevyn Adams did, took a puck to the wrist that broke it, took a shot in the locker room, and came back out with a brace on and KEPT PLAYING.

Didn't Ronnie Lott play a game with his pinkie hanging off his hand?

The answer here is football. The biggest and hardest NHL hits are worse than most if not all NFL hits. HOWEVER, 99.9% of hits in hockey are indirect or flat out glancing blows, as the player being hit is able to attempt to evade the collision. In the NFL, there's no rule saying you can't blindside a guy. Wideouts take HUGE hits going across the middle. QB's get throttled when planting their feet to make a throw. Even linebackers coming to fill the gap can be steamrolled by running backs with momentum. We're talking DIRECT body on body violence. I use the word "violence" because that's exactly what it is.

The defensive objective in football is to TAKE THE OTHER GUY DOWN, not keep a puck out of a net. Sure, it's 82 games vs. 16 games. But for the most part, you give me a season's worth of big hits in the NHL and an NFL guy can give you one game's worth of hits that will match it.

How many football players would have done what Kevyn Adams did, took a puck to the wrist that broke it, took a shot in the locker room, and came back out with a brace on and KEPT PLAYING.

Broken hands/wrists are so common in football there is a penalty for how you use the broken hand called Clubbing. That's how common it is...

I'd say NHL, because the hits and game in general is more fast paced. You have skates on, you're moving at much higher speeds than Football. The force in the hits are probably bigger. I'm just estimating here though.

What about fights? Do fights count as well, or is that another aspect?

I still think it's hockey. Pucks to the face must hurt like.. pucks to the face.

In terms of overall brute strength NFL football is more demanding. In terms of overal conditioning, speed, eye/hand conditioning the NHL is more demanding. How many NFL players have the body-fat of Brindy?

In terms of overall brute strength NFL football is more demanding. In terms of overal conditioning, speed, eye/hand conditioning the NHL is more demanding. How many NFL players have the body-fat of Brindy?

exactly, "The refrigerator" Perry would not make it in the NHL. And based on his dancing skills neither would Lawrence Taylor. I also factor in doing all they do while staying balanced on skates and skating at 30+mph. And let's not forget the puck occasionally flying at 105+mph!! I could be wrong but i don't think there is a quarter back that can throw a football at half that speed.

Almost all WR's and CB's?

I'd say football, just because nearly every player is basically trying to knock the other guy down 100% of the time. Exceptions are QBs, Punters, and Kickers. In hockey you are not necessarily guranteed to get hit 100% of the time, most guys don't/ aren't capable of lining up the big hits so they dont. You can go a whole game without being hit that much. You can't say that with football, especially the offensive players who are constantly trying to avoid tackles.

Only thing I can say is that hockey has much more conditioned athletes all around than football. Hockey players have to endure 45 sec- 2 min shifts for 82 games while skating, where as football players have much time in between plays and games to recover and plus you have 300+ lb linemen.

Hate to say it, because there is so much down time and it's painful to watch, but football by far.

There's a reason they only play a 16 game season and we can sign a guy to play for 11 years, confident he'll make it to 40 just fine. The shelf life of a front line player in football is about 5 years. Certain positions can last a little longer, but mostly, these guys are out to hurt each other...bad.

A lot of hockey hits are cosmetic, and the fights are absolutely cosmetic. One STRATEGY in hockey is to hit the player with the puck. The PURPOSE of football is to flatten someone each and every play, and the play doesn't stop until a goal is scored or everyone on the other team is flat on his back.

I could live without 2 minutes of setup, 7 seconds of action, and 3 minutes of commercial, but these guys are out there killing each other every single day. A lot of internal damage goes along with every tackle.

Almost all WR's and CB's?

Wide receivers and corner backs are the ones with a lean body mass. But how how would the offensive and defensive lineman compare? You don't see any hockey players with a large belly. The two sports are different with different types of players and requires requires a different skill set.

Currently, football is packaged for television. How would the players fare if the ball had to put back in play 30 seconds after the completion of the previous play and not after the ball was set in play by the ref,

One reason for hockey's lack of populariy is that it doesn't transfer well to televion.

and I disagree because a football player isn't going to get cut to make that even a comparison. He's got a helmet on with a metric butt load of bars on it so even fingers cant get in there. If and only if he gets hit so hard the helmet itself breaks his nose he'll throw a tissue up his nose and be right back on the field.

If football is so weak, why can a Quarterback the biggest suggested weenie on the field keep playing with a concussion and not be able to tell you anything he did after the 2nd quarter but a hockey player gets off the ice? We had Scott Stevens give half our team concussions in the playoffs and even they couldn't come back and apparently QB concussions and QB's playing through them is a major health concern however a QB can do it but I have not heard of a hockey player doing that. That's toughness... Stupid as hell...but thats toughness.

If football is so weak why are so many football athletes unable to walk after 50, or dying from football related illness's such as sleep apnea (sp error I'm sure) You just dont hear about that stuff from hockey, hell you cant play football unless your a kicker past 35 in most cases. We got Chelios and Howe playing til 50. A football player unless hes a kicker but who gives a poop about the kicker would be digging his grave by then. I mean look at some of these over 50 football players they look like a freakin mess and are battling with good reason for medical support that the young guys today get. Those guys are a mess, you've got Keyshawn Johnson on ESPN one day talking about how it takes him 10 minutes to get outta bed his knees are so locked up now.

I know you guys love hockey but geez, this just isn't even an argument.

If a football player is hit so hard he can't remember what happened after ther 2nd quarter how is he gonna know to get off the field because he has a concussion? I understand what you're saying but thats an unrealistic example. When has a QB done this? If he's down on the turf and the trainers asks him what day of the week it is and he answers "Three" they haul his rear end to the locker room and he doesnt play again for a month. Guys out with concussions dont keep playing.. they have to wait for doctors clearance, its no different then in hockey.

When was the last time you saw a football player get hit in the arm with the ball and it broke their arm? In hockey the tools of the game (pucks, skates, sticks) are deadly weapons if used incorrectly. Guys get jaws broken and eye sockets smashed with pucks, necks slit with skates (TWICE!) all kinds of abuse... how many football receivers stand there trying to catch the ball with a guy whacking a stick against their legs or backsides? Its not the one big injury or one big hit that counts.. its the constant abuse of getting hit every 3 seconds when you are down in the crease getting slapped and crosschecked... A football player gets laid out with a big hit and then he has a 2 minute commercial break to shake it off.. a hockey player has to jump up in 2 seconds and rejoin the play and then get hit again!

The reason you dont see 50 year old hockey players with bad knees and struggling to get out of bed is because of the ones unfortunate enough to have a knee injury when they were in their 20's NEVER PLAYED HOCKEY AGAIN. Messed up knees is not a sign of a "tough sport".. my knees are destroyed from Marching Band of all things (which my doctor agreed was strenuous enough activity to qualify as a sport). Guys like Francis and Chelios and Stevens and Howe and Gretzky played for a long time because they didnt have too many major injures. Plus these guys (Chelios and Roberts playing 30+ years) are a rare commodity. You got football players playing in their late 30's and 40's.. look at Mushin Muhammed? He's 36.. John Casey (yes, a Kicker) is 40. Jake Delhomme is 34. Eric Staal has missed all of what? 1 game in his 5 years.. As long as he continues to avoid the injury bug he will be playing in his 40s, but again thats a one in a million shot.

Honestly this argument could go back and forth for eternity and never get solved... they are both tough as nails... I have to give the slight edge to hockey though because they wear less padding, have more chances to get injured and then when they do get injured they are back on the ice without missing a single shift. You won't see "turf toe" keep a hockey player off the ice in the later season or playoffs.

I think the overall grind of hockey's schedule makes it tougher overall (barely), but on a per game basis football is definitely tougher on most players.

As far as the injury talk, I don't really know that the head trauma is really worse in football. I am willing to chalk up its recent publicity to the NFL and college football's overwhelming popularity. Just because you don't hear about NHL players playing with concussions on ESPN doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Why Do I have to Choose ???

We can have Both... believe it... see the current Web site on the upcoming Devils Vs Carolia PANTHERS !!

http://www.clickandpark.com/apps/events?m=detail&event_id=1053&submode=html' target="_blank">http://www.clickandpark.com/apps/events?m=...mp;submode=html[/post]

PARKING FAIL.

BTW I voted for football for the same reasons other people have said in this thread. But it really does depend on the definition of "tough."

I think it's hard to say, because of the scheduling. I think it's a toss up now, but if both sports played the same amount of games in a year I think football by far would be most physically demanding. As it is now though, I have to say hockey because they play so many more games with the type of play they have.

Imafirehazzard worded what I was trying to say pretty well. In an overall season hockey is much tougher, but on a game-to-game average football is.

Also, I don't think comparing injury types and what keeps players out is very accurate either. For instance, Turf Toe sounds lame, but to a football player it can make a big difference. In the way the sport is played, the need the toe/foot to get leverage against other 300+lb men, burst speed to hit holes in the line before they close, run routes, etc. Being on skates is different and it doesn't effect your feet the same way. It's the same way that for a football player/hockey player having a sore finger won't mean anything, but to a baseball pitcher it can be disasterous. It's not that the pitcher is any weaker or less tough, it's just that for his particular sport and skill set that injury effects him worse than it does for others.

Football- 16 games

Hockey-82 games

Football- out of bounds (grass/turf)

Hockey- boards & fiberglass

Football- size of pads/equipment ---big

Hockey--barely there

Football---players with all their teeth---almost all

Hockey----are there any?

Football---more time outs and stopages in play

Hockey---2---20 minute intermissions

Football--playing surface---grass/turf

Hockey--ice

The list could go on but to me Hockey is a much more demanding sport!!!