The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CaniacUK

Places to visit in NC

How long would you be staying?

First you can fly into Raleigh (the other big airport in the state is in Charlotte). From Raleigh you're only a 2 hour drive down to the beach at Wilmington. Also on the coast is New Bern which is about 2.5-3 hours from Raleigh. I think New Bern would be an interesting visit for you guys since New Bern was the capitol of the British Colony of North Carolina (before we were a state). Also in New Bern, which I think would be very interesting for you guys, there is a cemetery which holds the remains of 5 or 6 British sailors who washed up on the shore during WWII. The cemetery has been dedicated as "British ground" and the Union Jack flies over it 24 hours a day. There's a lot of early American history, but also British history on the NC Coast.

Depending on when easter is next year it could be close to the end of the hockey season and you could try and get tickets to a game, or you could go on a non-game day and look around the arena (when its free to park). Also from Raleigh you are only a 4 hour drive from Washington DC.

Asheville is a nice place to visit. They've got the famous Biltmore Estate house there. There's also plenty of unique shopping centers there as well. Plus, you also get a good view of the mountains.

I had this same problem when we came up to visit 2 years ago. Of course, we were solely there for the hockey games, meet the players, yada yada... but I couldn't find much to do during the day except look at some local stores. The scenery was nice to look at compared to Fl's for a change, but other than that... I had a hard time finding something to do that wasn't a couple of hours away.

If you are interested in museums, the NC Museum of Art is good. The Campi of UNC and Duke are beautiful, especially in the Spring. No matter how the Chamber of Commerce tries to spin things, the Raleigh area isn't that much of a tourist mecca.

NC has plenty to offer in terms of variety, from the mountains to the beach. Most of the people live in the middle of the state between Winston-Salem, Charlotte and Raleigh. Unfortunately you would have to do some traveling to get the most out of the state. My best suggestion would be to start off at the outer banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk)

vfiles20391.jpg

Nags head

KittyHawkPier.jpg

kitty hawk

and work your way up the coast to DC for the obvious reasons to visit. DC is a fantastic tourist spot to visit.

In between the Outer banks and DC is Williamsburg, Virgina and Jamestown - the first successful colony.

colonial-williamsburg.jpg

Also nearby there is Bush Gardens Europe in williamsburg, one of my favorite spots to visit. Though you would probably have a good laugh at our take of Europe :lol:

BuschGardensGarden.jpg

Sounds like a great vacation to me :D

I'm gonna tell you something that not a whole lot of people seem to know, and being from the U.K. it may intrest you. If you get out to the Outer Banks there is an island called Ocracoke Island. On it is a cemetary from WWII that contains the grave sites of British soldiers that died off the coast of North Carolina. The land is considered official British soil, flies it flag and is one of the only non-embassy foreign soil in America. It's nothing big, or fancy but they do have a service out there yearly and fly the flag.

Here is a bit more about it:

http://www.offbeattravel.com/british-cemet...outerbanks.html

http://www.ocracoke-nc.com/cemetery/

If you get out to that area there are other things to see such as beauttiful beaches, Ocracoke Lighthouse which is the second oldest operating lighthouse in America, and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (On Hatteras Island, north of Ocracoke Island) which is the tallest lighthouse in America, Jockey's Ridge National Park which includes the largest natural sand dune system in the eastern United States (this is further north past Hatteras Island), and the Wright Brothers Memorial which is there to celebrate the location of the Wright Brothers first flight in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jockey's_Ridge_State_Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Brothe...tional_Memorial

I'm gonna tell you something that not a whole lot of people seem to know, and being from the U.K. it may intrest you. If you get out to the Outer Banks there is an island called Ocracoke Island. On it is a cemetary from WWII that contains the grave sites of British soldiers that died off the coast of North Carolina. The land is considered official British soil, flies it flag and is one of the only non-embassy foreign soil in America. It's nothing big, or fancy but they do have a service out there yearly and fly the flag.

AWWW DARN - Ya beat me to it!

Additional info: Every May 10th the Coast Guard has a ceremony honoring the All of the British sailors who served off the coast of the U.S. combating German U-boats during WWII. Often these services are attended by dignitaries from the Royal Navy and NATO

:angry: four years I served in that honor guard, and you go and beat me to the punch! :lol:

Also a good sight to see: the USS North Carolina - most decorated US Battleship of WWII

one warning for our visitors: if you go to the beach - bring insect repellant!! mosquitoes on the outer banks have been known to carry off children and small pets :lol:

on the other end of the state (about 3 hours away) is the Biltmore house (largest private residence in the U.S.) - absolutely beautiful estate based on the palace at Versailles. As have others I highly recommend a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

many sights to see / visit depending on your interests

Thanks for the great information everybody, I'll start working on my wife and hopefully we'll be in NC around this time next year!

Enjoy the game tonight, just settled down to watch it with a big cup of coffee to keep me awake! (12:30am here)

Reuben

Not here... that's for sure. :lol:

Bahahahaha yeah do NOT go to Fayetteville :) (I grew up there gocanes88, so I know what you mean)

Really and truly it depends on how long you can spend over here. There is so much to see across the country. If you have, say 2 weeks, you should definitely squeeze in a day and a half at Williamsburg, VA, and two days at Washington DC. The queen visited Williamsburg not too long ago actually... and now that I think about it (having been there a handful of times), quite a few of your fellow Brits visit there too. DC is practically a must.

Someone recommended taking a drive on the Blueridge Parkway and someone else mentioned Biltmore Estate (both in the mountains of NC): if you don't mind driving (about 3.5 hours from Raleigh) then these are worth it. I also recommend visiting New Bern and/or Wilmington.

There's a lot to see but I'll make a suggestion on what you do NOT want to see. This is my personal opinion and I hope I don't offend anyone, but don't waste your time in the midwest (basically anything that doesn't touch an ocean). Although I'll note one major exception and that is Yellowstone National Park (http://www.nps.gov/yell/). If you have 2 weeks or more (and the cash), definitely try to go there. It's absolutely beautiful. I haven't been there yet myself, but that's only because it feels "accessible" to me: I figure I'll get around to going eventually. But for someone coming from "out of town" such as yourself and your wife, it would be worth going the distance to see. I'm probably not helping lol. There's just too much. Other things are popping into my head now.

If you could shed some light on how much time you plan on spending here, I think we could help you a LOT more. Also knowing whether you A] will have a ton of cash to burn or B] will be on a budget would help to. Just ask and you'll get the most important information you need.

edit:

Reuben: if your wife enjoys shopping, she will find a lot of great shopping malls in the triangle. Namely, South Point (http://www.streetsatsouthpoint.com) and North Hills (http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/)