The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
camanderikfan

Caniacs on Myspace

Okay, I admit it. I don't get this myspace stuff at all. Could be because I'm a 46 year old mom, stuck reminising about how neat it was to listen in on the neighbor's telephone conversations using the old party lines (anyone remember these??). Now with all the negatives about sexual predators seeking kids on the internet and suicides related to myspace pages, why in the world would anyone invite someone you don't know into your personal life??? Help explain it to me because I'm sure sooner or later my daughter will want to set one up, but can't now because I have so many parental controls on the computer. I just don't get it.

Sincerely,

Confused

Okay, I admit it. I don't get this myspace stuff at all. Could be because I'm a 46 year old mom, stuck reminising about how neat it was to listen in on the neighbor's telephone conversations using the old party lines (anyone remember these??). Now with all the negatives about sexual predators seeking kids on the internet and suicides related to myspace pages, why in the world would anyone invite someone you don't know into your personal life??? Help explain it to me because I'm sure sooner or later my daughter will want to set one up, but can't now because I have so many parental controls on the computer. I just don't get it.

Sincerely,

Confused

I'm not a big myspace fan either, but I do have one. I think it's ridiculous when people go around adding 235235 people they don't even know. Honestly, who really has 328 friends? The only people on my friends list are my family members (my brothers and sisters all live pretty far away, so it's easy to keep in touch with them this way) and a few of my close friends. You can always set your profile to private so no one but your friends can view it. But yes, I totally agree with you about inviting random strangers into your personal life. It's just not a good idea.

Sincerely,

Confused

I'm a 37 yr. old mom and i love it. I have mostly canes fans as friends and have ran across people I went to school with a long time ago that have moved away. My 14 yr. old has one also but her page is private. The page can be set up so that you can't request the person as a friend if you don't know their last name or email address and also set up so they can't send you a message unless you are there friend. So there can be total privacy for those that choose to have it that way. I was against the thing for so long and thought it was stupid and didn't understand why someone my age would even want one until my husband came home one day and said an old friend he ran into had a page and told us to check it out well it was private so we had to sign up first and add him before we could view it and then we found so many people that we knew on there and got hooked.

I actually already have a thread started some time back that can be researched where several people on here posted a link to their page. Maybe an admin can link these 2 together.

I'm a 27 yr. old mom and i love it.

Fixed that for ya. :) There's still no way you're old enough to have a 14 year old daughter, so I'll pretend you never typed that.

And yeah, when utilized in the proper way, Myspace is a phenomenal concept. I suppose Facebook kinda does the same thing, but I ABHOR the Facebook user interface.

Just friend-requested you, Whalehugger! :)

Okay, I admit it. I don't get this myspace stuff at all. Could be because I'm a 46 year old mom, stuck reminising about how neat it was to listen in on the neighbor's telephone conversations using the old party lines (anyone remember these??).

I'm also 46, ivy, but the tone I set with my MySpace page is rather different from most on that site. For starters, I mention the major events in my life: opening and subsequently running our wine shop, competing in the '06 Long Beach Marathon, participating in several other running events in my area (northern Orange County, Calif.), developing our new passion of bird watching, discussing the joys of living with our delightful tortoiseshell cat Emmy, and discovering insights that seem to blossom anew each with entrance into midlife.

Indeed, my own page (http://www.myspace.com/jan43''>http://www.myspace.com/jan43' target="_blank">http://www.myspace.com/jan43[/post]) is a dramatic departure from most, but its content and tone reflect what I'm about at age 46.

Jan/GSBG

I have 23 friends. That includes my wife, family, and a few friends that I don't really keep in touch with. My wife is more of a myspace person that I am. I've found some old crushes/flings, but she didn't appreciate that. <_< Anyway, yes, I think myspace is pretty good when keeping up with old friends. My closer buds and I don't do alot of myspacing stuff, we just text each other and call each other about certain things.

Anyway...

myspace.com/mrpapows

Even though I don't know most of you as friends, we're all fellow caniacs, so you're friends in my book. Go Canes! :)

I'm on myspace as well - for those who don't have me already, I'm www.myspace.com/trueraider. Just send me a message on myspace if you add me letting me know you're from this board! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

I'm on myspace as well - for those who don't have me already, I'm www.myspace.com/trueraider. Just send me a message on myspace if you add me letting me know you're from this board! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Thanks for honoring my friend request, CH. It's much appreciated.

Jan/GSBG

Sincerely,

Confused

I remember the old party lines ivy----I use to love watching my grandmother hide in the back room and listen to all the neighbors conversations and then she would come out and tell us about them. Of course I was a very young girl and can hardly remember that- :P Wow how times have changed. :o

QUOTE(ivyleager @ Dec 23 2007, 09:45 AM) post_snapback.gifOkay, I admit it. I don't get this myspace stuff at all. Could be because I'm a 46 year old mom, stuck reminising about how neat it was to listen in on the neighbor's telephone conversations using the old party lines (anyone remember these??). Now with all the negatives about sexual predators seeking kids on the internet and suicides related to myspace pages, why in the world would anyone invite someone you don't know into your personal life??? Help explain it to me because I'm sure sooner or later my daughter will want to set one up, but can't now because I have so many parental controls on the computer. I just don't get it.

Sincerely,

Confused

I remember the old party lines ivy----I use to love watching my grandmother hide in the back room and listen to all the neighbors conversations and then she would come out and tell us about them. Of course I was a very young girl and can hardly remember that- :P Wow how times have changed. :o

Well, I'm only 37 but I also had party lines when I was growing up as well. My how times have changed. Now that would be considered an invasion of privacy.

Woo hoo !!!! GSBG! I looked at your page and saw my baby's picture ! I miss her being on the squad this year but she is LOVING married life in Charlotte. You've got a great page ladybug.

My son is a Junior Fireman (Erwin-Harnett County) and a diehard Caniac, favorite player is Wesley. He asked me to give his myspace address for some caniacs and/or Junior Firemen too.

www.myspace.com/leatherhead543.com

p.s. BTW I do keep a watch on his myspace page and friends.

My son is a Junior Fireman (Erwin-Harnett County) and a diehard Caniac, favorite player is Wesley. He asked me to give his myspace address for some caniacs and/or Junior Firemen too.

www.myspace.com/leatherhead543.com

p.s. BTW I do keep a watch on his myspace page and friends.

you have to have his last name to request him or his email address and I was going to send him a message letting him know so he could request me instead but you have to be his friend to that also which is very good that he has it that way.

Woo hoo !!!! GSBG! I looked at your page and saw my baby's picture ! I miss her being on the squad this year but she is LOVING married life in Charlotte. You've got a great page ladybug.

Thanks for the great props, Bodyslam! I still remember your baby's singing the national anthem during our second game at RBC, the 3/3/06 game against the Panthers. She sang beautifully, making me think of the Ariel character from "The Little Mermaid." Glad to hear that married life's agreeing with her -- thanks for the update! :D

Jan/GSBG