The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

Where did your board name come from?

I used to run track and ran the 100 and 200... being a 200 lb white guy people were often surprised I could run a 10.9 in the 100 in highschool. Most fun is I sprinted against Cedric Peerman who had a decent career at UVA not long ago. I beat him once in the 100 :) He was quite ticked off. But that was once outta maybe 20 opportunities and he may have slipped out of the blocks ;) ANYWAY :P I also ran against Carlton Weatherford the VT Fullback, but ya know beating him wasn't amazing given he's a fullback :P

Ran in a meet and I was the only white guy out of 40 sprinters and won the 100. Given all the assumptions that a white guy cant run the local newspaper did a thing on the meet and used the line The Man, The Myth, The Legend. The schoolmates started giving me junk about it calling me The Legend as a joke. It kinda stuck...

It's also humorous to see people get in a hissy over the cocky nature of the name when they dont know there is a story behind it.

And here I always thought you were a living legend. :lol:

And here I always thought you were a living legend. :lol:

You havent answered whether or not the AVRY Was Avery as in Sean Avery?

THAT'S A CLASSIC ANSWER...ONE FOR THE AGES! :lol:

As a side note, we need more emoticons here... :P

This was my third choice. Ref107 and TSA were already taken so...... :lol:

You havent answered whether or not the AVRY Was Avery as in Sean Avery?

Sure, I love Sean Avery :lol:

Sarcasm warning

There were two Mike's on my junior high basketball team. One was a Bama fan, the other one was me, so I got dubbed "Carolina Mike," which became "Tar Heel Mike" over the next couple of years due to my neverending support of a particular school in Chapel Hill. When I needed a message board screenname all the way back in 2002, that's the first thing that came to mind - and I've stuck with it ever since, regardless of board, sometimes adding an 82 to the end of it if I need specialization - being both my birth year and the year Jordan won the title for the Heels over Georgetown.

THM is a common shortened name, though "Mikey" has caught on over the past couple of years, my resistance to that abomination finally waning I guess after getting angry whenever anyone used it for me when I was younger.

I've always read that as "HAIR-a-cane."

The lesson as always, I'm an idiot.

Too funny! Maybe I should change it to sheacane (phonetically that would be She A Cane!) :lol:

In 2006, when we went down 0-2 to the Habs and then won game 3, (you know - Canes style!), I told my husband that if we came back and won the Cup that I would get the Canes logo tattooed on my leg. The rest is history.

In January '03, I marveled at the stops at the then-Mighty Ducks' net by a Swiss goaltender. "Wow!" I exclaimed. "What a great save by Gerber!" Shortly after that game, I made my debut on the club's official board as -- you got it -- GreatsavebyGerber. ;)

Jan/GSBG

My all time favorite player. Sure, Mario got me into hockey. But Bob Errey was my favorite. We're the same height and weight. I was amazed when I realized there were guys my size playing in the NHL. Then I saw what a great job he did defensively (I started out playing as a winger and was moved to defense... two reasons, my wrist shot was suspect, had a great slapper, and my defensive skills were pretty solid... but I digress) and I was hooked.

When he was part of a 4 minute penalty kill that didn't allow a single shot on goal in one of our Cup runs, I was a fan for life. Yeah, he's not the greatest color man in the sport, and he's probably one of the worst homers there is, but he's got pretty good insight and he can be REALLY colorful.

I got the Deity part off of a character in the legendary and popular videogame series called "Legend Of Zelda". The character was called "Fierce Deity Link". He was from the "Majora's Mask" game. A game I grew up playing as a kid, and is to this day one of my favorite games of all time despite it being 10 years old. Fierce Deity Link was unstopable, and amazingly powerful. I use to have a picture of the character as my avatar on this chat board. So, I figured DeityOfHockey had a good ring to it, while being very unique.

The word "Deity" means divine, immortal and few other things of very high regards.

I used to dive...scuba dive...before the economy tanked along with my bank accounts.

The first place I ever dived in the ocean was at Frying Pan Shoals Tower. The tower's official NOAA designation was C-Man station FPSN-7

Frying

Pan

Shoals

NOAA

Diver

I pretty much use that screenname everywhere.

I think mine is fairly obvious. I consider myself Justin Williams #1 fan. I have been a fan of his since Philly, he was my favorite on the Flyers and I was very upset when he was traded to Carolina . But I followed him here and became a fan of the Canes, now I will follow him to LA. I hope to be able to get some news about him now that he is so far away. I don't like their message boards and he is new there and they haven't been real kind. But I still consider myself a Canes fan, the team just grew on me. Unless they are playing the Flyers :P