The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac6

TV options?

I live in Cary and I am thinking of doing the same thing. Do the Canes games come in HD? I think I was only able to get about 10 games in HD with TWC last year.

The team and the networks determine which games are in HD, Time Warner has no input on that. Fox/Versus/NBC decide whether or not to send an HD truck out with the equipment.

We are thinking about dropping Time Warner cable in favor of Direct TV. Our main concern is the ability to watch the Canes. I would like to hear from other Canes fans about any negatives or positives with Direct vs. Cable. We live in Winston-Salem. Thanks.

there are occasional concerns with which satellite carrier will carry Center Ice. I tried Dish for a while last year and had problems with their HD feed. When a game was in HD the HD channel frequently changed (what channel it was suppose to be on) and a lot of times we got nothing but a black screen with no explanation from the Dish folks. TWC is at least reliable and consistent.

Now on the other hand when HD DOES work on satellite the quality of the picture to me was better.

We switched in January from Charter (limited HD, no DVR, terrible service, bankrupt, etc.) to Dish. The main difference, as c97 mentioned, is the way they set up the channels the coverage is on. Dish and Direct both use different channel groupings for SD and HD coverage. Ex. FoxSports is on 420 for Dish, but the game is on say 450, and the HD game, if available, might be on 480 (they are usually grouped on a SD/HD channel pair, but not always). For the most part, it sounded like there were more issues with cable programming than Dish last year. There were a couple of in-game issues that impacted cable but not Dish. The only thing I noticed is that toward the end of the season through the playoffs, there were two or three games where either the feed was dropped for the postgame, or they hit the time limit for the slot and the feed was dropped. Other than that we had no problems. We will probably get Center Ice this year.

Dish vs. Direct, I don't know. It sounds like a Coke vs. Pepsi thing to me. One thing to look for is what tier Vs. is on, and if you get NHL Network with a package. With Dish, I think it's $10 for the Vs tier, plus another $10 for the NHL Network (it also comes with CI). But other costs/discount can balance that out.

Were any of you folks on cable able to get Center Ice? Here in eastern NC, I have Sudden Link cable as of now. I've always just gotten the online version of Center Ice because at this point, I can't put a dish outside my house... I've asked my cable company different times if I can get Center Ice, but they tell me that it's not ever available on cable. Anywho, I thought it sounded like some of you with cable have had it... Or no?

Were any of you folks on cable able to get Center Ice? Here in eastern NC, I have Sudden Link cable as of now. I've always just gotten the online version of Center Ice because at this point, I can't put a dish outside my house... I've asked my cable company different times if I can get Center Ice, but they tell me that it's not ever available on cable. Anywho, I thought it sounded like some of you with cable have had it... Or no?

I've watched the Center Ice free preview on TWC and they have the channels for it.. so is it on "Cable"? Yes.. it is.. Is it on your service? I don't know, but it's on Cable here in Raleigh.

I've never liked satellite TV which my parents had for the longest time and it was horribly unreliable, but its been many years since then. Now they have Charter cable, which is almost just as unreliable (In Bluffton/Hilton Head SC). Of course all mom cares about is she gets the Charlotte CBS channel and can watch UNC Basketball.. the rest is irrelevant. We have watched Canes games at their house but no idea what channel it was on. (Probably VS, I dont think they get FSN).

I like Time Warner myself, but that's just my opinion. Yes I pay an arm and a leg for it, but I never have any issues with it. I've had other cable services and other satellite services all of which were hit and miss. When I move out of state I hope I can at least get a "big" company like Comcast, but it still may not be as good.

Not ever available on Cable? Oye, if I was you I'd call back and chew em out. That's a major crock of ...

I have it on Comcast and had it formerly on Adelphia before they sank.