The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

Yeah.. she's tracking further to the west now and might hit raleigh more directly then sweeping off to the east.. will have to keep an eye on that... even though its a weak storm, any kind of wind would make it dangerous to have people in the stadium, much less if we get lightning and tornados like with the remnants of Fay.

I wonder if they do cancel the game, when they will make it up... sometimes they try to play em on like sunday or monday while the opposing team is still in town.. and then sometimes they reschedule for novemeber or decemeber either during a bye week, or after the last game of the season.

The big thing for NC State and Duke will be how well the fields hold up in the rain and how well they drain. Both games are after the storm is predicted to have passed and if any of it remains it will be mainly just showers according to the forecast, which I realize is almost always wrong. So unless the storm slows down or strengthens I doubt you'll see either game cancelled unless there is damage to Wallace Wade or Carter-Finley.

The big thing for NC State and Duke will be how well the fields hold up in the rain and how well they drain. Both games are after the storm is predicted to have passed and if any of it remains it will be mainly just showers according to the forecast, which I realize is almost always wrong. So unless the storm slows down or strengthens I doubt you'll see either game cancelled unless there is damage to Wallace Wade or Carter-Finley.

Yeah.. the rain should be gone.. but if there's no power, or as you say damage to the stadium (unlikely, but ya never know).. then they would have to postpone the game. My main concern is the amount of rain we've gotten in the last couple of weeks (from Fay and other systems) they are saying the ground is pretty wet and soft, which could possibly lead to lots of trees down, which in turn could lead to power outages. I'm worried it might pull a Floyd and Staal off the coast and dump lots of rain and cause flooding.. if it blows through as fast as they say should be no big deal. Ike next week could be a different story.

Haha, Georgia Tech is currently king of the worst league ever (ACC) by virtue of winning the only conference game for the first week. I will bask in the glory of the flexbone offense for about a week until they fumble away next weeks game to VT, though in all honesty that win would have never happened without the defense stepping up.

My alma matter - South Florida - plays Central Florida tonight. It's kind of weird seeing the school have a top 20 football program condsidering the program has been in existence less than 10 years. What is even weirder is their BB program has been in existence over thirty years and the have been to the Big Dance just once in that time frame. When they created the football program they changed the team name to the Bulls from the Brahmans. It seemed that most people thought the name refered to a cult than a type of bovine.

ECU is kicking WVU's @$$ right now late in that game. Guess WVU isn't all it's cracked up to be, while ECU is still underrated. Maybe not anymore though after this dominating performance.

Even better for my Auburn club, simply because now we'll know just how much WVU struggles against good defenses.

ECU's finally going to be ranked. I'm so pumped. I honestly expected this to be a blowout in the opposite direction, and maybe a close game.

But to keep that WVU offense to 3 points? Jesus.

Pinkney for Heisman.

How bout that Wolfpack?! It was ugly but its a win! We have confirmed that Daniel Evans absolutely sucks @$$... Harrison Beck can actually throw it long, but unfortunatly thats his one trick. The defense played pretty well.. good job on 2 interceptions and two fumble recoverys.. one W&M guy got his clock cleaned as soon as he caught the ball, fumbled it and then didnt get up for a little bit.. can you say "You can ring my bellll.... ring my bell..."

Shame they had the pick-6 and then the long meaningless scoring drive with a few seconds left.. would have rather it been 34-10.. but i'll take it.. Beck only made that one mistake, but did way better then Evans.

Go Auburn!! War Eagle.. good start so far 2-0...

How about those ECU Pirates huh? I have to hate them by default as a State fan, but i've certainly taken notice of them.. it will be ugly when they lay teh beatdown on State in a couple of weeks.

Good second week by the ACC.. not sure its good enough.. but its good for now.

Wake shoulda beaten Ole Miss by more than a deuce. The Rebels got a GIFT pass interference call late that allowed them first and goal to go ahead before Wake came back down and won it. Just an AWFUL call.

Also, Florida shoulda beaten Miami 30-3, rather than only by 23. I am very mad about that conte$t. ECU is GOOD. And Ohio State is going to get DESTROYED next week in L.A. And it shall be glorious.

Now, let's see what Carolina can do on the road at Rutgers Thursday night.

Wake shoulda beaten Ole Miss by more than a deuce. The Rebels got a GIFT pass interference call late that allowed them first and goal to go ahead before Wake came back down and won it. Just an AWFUL call.

Also, Florida shoulda beaten Miami 30-3, rather than only by 23. I am very mad about that conte$t. ECU is GOOD. And Ohio State is going to get DESTROYED next week in L.A. And it shall be glorious.

Now, let's see what Carolina can do on the road at Rutgers Thursday night.

Won't it be? Finally they'll lose BEFORE reaching the championship game.

If that qualifies as a good week it shows just how bad the conference is because the losses by Maryland (to a Sun Belt team!), Duke and Miami plus the squeaker wins against marginal opponents are nothing to be happy about. In fact the best thing to happen to the ACC this weekend didn't even happen in the conference; it was ECU slaughtering WVU because it makes VT look less pathetic.

Baby steps man baby steps... We got more wins this week, yes against 1AA and no name teams.. but you gotta work up from somewhere... I know its not an "excuse" or a reason.. but even the guys on College Gameday yesterday morning, who are not really ever big ACC fans mentioned that like 5 ACC teams had new coachs (first or second year).. the whole conference is in rebuilding.

When i wrote last night I didnt realize Duke lost.. I thought they would pull that off.. the only score they showed at the State game Duke was up 7-0. I did kinda laugh when I heard Maryland lost to Middle Tenn State.. I mean hell even NC State can beat Middle Tenn State (at least in years past).. ouch.. Miami did get thier butts whooped.. but Florida is not a 1AA...

VTech crushed Furman 24-7.. as they should have.. good rebound

Clemson crushed Citadal 45-17 as they should have

State beatdown W&M 34-24 - Despite the last two TDs by W&M the game was never that close.

Maryland loses to MTSt. 24-14 - Yeah.. this one hurts.

Florida Beats Miami 26-3 - Bad loss, but understandable

Duke ALMOST beats NW 20-24 - Very good game I would say even for a L... I thought duke would pull it out.

FSU dismantles WCU 69-0 - Ugly... as it should be

Virgina beats Richmond - but only 16-0.. something to watch.

Wake beats ole Miss - 30-28 - Big win.. huge last minute field goal. Hard fought game.

Ga Tech squeaks by BC 19-16 for the first conference win/loss.

So as far as the conference as a whole, I count 8 wins and 3 losses. and UNC didnt play. Thats better then last week when we were like 6-6 or something like that. Yeah its still not great.. some teams barely won that should have had blow outs and a few teams got smacked down that shouldnt have. I understand what you mean though, its hard to pass judgment based on these scores and these games.. FSU hangs 69 on WCU but could go scoreless against Florida.

MTSU upset Maryland? NICE! That's TWO wins in two weeks for Sun Belt teams against BCS schools. That means my Troy Trojans have a shot against either Ohio State, Oklahoma State (again), or LSU.

Arrgghh!!! I was at the ECU game yesterday!!! Hockey is my sport and I'm so ready for it to start, but what a way to fill up the time till it's here! One of the largest crowds ever with 43,610. I kept thinking to myself, what would this crowd sound like inside the RBC Center?!!! Go Pirates!

One of the largest crowds ever with 43,610. I kept thinking to myself, what would this crowd sound like inside the RBC Center?!!! Go Pirates!

You think thats big? how about 107,501 in 1 single Stadium?

The largest crowd in NCAA college football history was 112,118 on November 22, 2003 for a game against Ohio State.

Yep, Michigan Stadium "The Big House"

;)

m994xk.jpg

No offense.. but attendance is limited to the size of the arena they play in.. 43k is huge for ECU.. thier arena is probably similar to Carter Finley which seats 57K.

The fact that Michigan needs a stadium that big and can fill it to standing room only is of course impressive.. but a sell out is a sell out.. whether its 112,000 at michigan, or 18,000 at Duke.

No offense.. but attendance is limited to the size of the arena they play in.. 43k is huge for ECU.. thier arena is probably similar to Carter Finley which seats 57K.

The fact that Michigan needs a stadium that big and can fill it to standing room only is of course impressive.. but a sell out is a sell out.. whether its 112,000 at michigan, or 18,000 at Duke.

I understand a sell out is a sell out, im just saying Michigan stadium is just enormous..

And i also know that Size is limited at ECU.. I'm quite impressed for they have done.. :mellow:

Dowdey-Ficklen only seats 43,000 so yesterday's game was actually oversold.

Of course, they claim it seats 43,000 but I guarantee you that either:

A. It seats a lot less or

B. There were a lot more than 43k there

Because once the stadium was full, they attempted to close it off. If you left you seat for whatever reason (to go to the snack bar, for instance), they wouldn't let you go back up. Yeah, fat lot of good that did. Students managed to find their way back up, found their seat to have been taken, and squeezed in elsewhere.

Yeah, that's why they've been adding seating and continuing to talk about adding more all the time at ECU. From what I hear there's already plans in the works to add bleachers at the scoreboard end of the field and possibly a second deck and new press box on the one side. Not sure what that would take attendance up to, but if they keep this up they'll continue to sell out even after the additions.

Though what made me happiest watching the game yesterday (watched on tv, wasn't there myself) was that not only did they sell it out the same day a tropical storm just went through, but it was all Purple and Gold and only a small section of WVU fans there. Like the Canes we have tended to get a lot of the other team's fans at games, but we're at the point where we sell out the place with just ECU fans. Which I've known to be possible, but probably the first time I've actually seen it.

What a great day to be a Pirate! #14 in AP Poll, and #20 in Coaches Poll. :D

I'd have to disagree, all sell outs are not created equal. Size of the stadium, quality of opponents, and quality of the home team have a lot to do with how many times you sell out. Thus even with a team like say NC State selling out vs UNC isn't impressive but a sell out against someone who is no good, you rarely play and your team isn't very good would be impressive.

Additionally with college football stadium size is pretty much determined by its alumni base and the amount of sidewalk fans they have (who are primarily influenced by how good the team has been historically). Thus why Michigan has a huge stadium and Duke a tiny one. So to a degree it is self regulating, but I'll be much more impressed if ECU sells out against Memphis than West Virginia.