The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

By that arguement, then last night State /W&M game would be impressive (box score lists attendance as 56,694 which is close to a sell out) but packing the stands for UNC vs State is not? how does that make any sense? Just because you assume they will sell out a game doesnt make it less impressive when 58,000 show up in force. Yes, I have been to the State games against SMU and Middle Tenn St where only 12k showed up for a saturday noon game. But, a lot of times those are the only games you can get tickets to.. should those be full as well? Yeah.. but they wont be.

I wasnt trying to compare Michigan to Duke.. I know why they are vastly different... and I never said the 112k against OSU was not impressive, for certain it is.. All i was saying if they had tried that at ECU, the stadium would have collapsed.. so a small limitation on "huge" crowds...

By that arguement, then last night State /W&M game would be impressive (box score lists attendance as 56,694 which is close to a sell out) but packing the stands for UNC vs State is not? how does that make any sense? Just because you assume they will sell out a game doesnt make it less impressive when 58,000 show up in force. Yes, I have been to the State games against SMU and Middle Tenn St where only 12k showed up for a saturday noon game. But, a lot of times those are the only games you can get tickets to.. should those be full as well? Yeah.. but they wont be.

As a matter of fact that is exactly what I am saying. It says more about your fans when you sell out games against crummy teams than it does against your rivals. It says your fans care more about your team than who you are playing. So yes, NC State having a packed house against someone like W&M is more impressive than against UNC. Saying there is no difference between those sell out would be like saying there is no difference between the Canes selling out playoff games or a sell out against Florida in the middle of a week in January. The second is more impressive because it happens less often.

And just so I don't sound like a total ingrate who is ragging on NCSU, my alma matter, Georgia Tech, has a wholly unimpressive record of selling out their stadium and generally only does it against Clemson, U[sic]GA and occasionally other games like Notre Dame or good teams you don't see every year like Auburn. I hope it will one day change but it is going to take a consistent winner.

You think thats big? how about 107,501 in 1 single Stadium?

The largest crowd in NCAA college football history was 112,118 on November 22, 2003 for a game against Ohio State.

Yep, Michigan Stadium "The Big House"

;)

:rolleyes:

The largest crowd in NCAA college football history was 112,118 on November 22, 2003 for a game against Ohio State.

I can't imagine being in stadium with a crowd that large,

:huh:

Are you amazed? :lol:

Amazed? hell no. I already knew how big the "big house" was, plus we have Neyland Stadium (Vols) down here. I was just rolling my eyes at you gushing over Big Blue territory when the team has been *edit* for two years now. The stadium might be nice, but the team that plays in it isn't.

;)

And yes I have something against Michigan ( :angry: ), as if you hadn't figured it out already.

Amazed? hell no. I already knew how big the "big house" was, plus we have Neyland Stadium (Vols) down here. I was just rolling my eyes at you gushing over Big Blue territory when the team has been *edit* for two years now. The stadium might be nice, but the team that plays in it isn't.

;)

And yes I have something against Michigan ( :angry: ), as if you hadn't figured it out already.

Give it a break :P

We have Raw talent out there, new coach, New Starting QB and 2 String QB who i must say did a great job at the beginning against Miami (OH)..

We lost Key players who did great the past 4 years.. Henne, Hart, Long.. etc..

What i can say about the new coach is.. well.. ill give him a couple of weeks to see what he can do.. Lets see if he can motivate the players and start playing great again.. :)

And yes i know how bad.. you hate Michigan.. <_<

I want to see Mich - Aub Game.. :rolleyes:

What i can say about the new coach is.. well.. ill give him a couple of weeks to see what he can do.. Lets see if he can motivate the players and start playing great again.. :)

If you're only giving Rodriguez a few weeks your expectations are too high. He doesn't have the personnel to run his offense now and that won't begin to change until next year. Face it Michigan will be bad this year, but in the long run they'll be fine.

Give it a break :P

We have Raw talent out there, new coach, New Starting QB and 2 String QB who i must say did a great job at the beginning against Miami (OH)..

We lost Key players who did great the past 4 years.. Henne, Hart, Long.. etc..

And yes i know how bad.. you hate Michigan.. <_<

Do you have App. nightmares?

How about UNC blowing the doors off of Rutgers last night? I dont know what the final score was, but it was 38-6 at the end of the third when I went to bed last night.. (looked it up it was 44-12)... I dont know if Rutgers is anygood is even supposed to be good, but I would have never though UNC could thump someone that bad.. especially after going 0-20 outside of NC for the last 3 years. They really surprised me last night.. i turned it off and it was tied 3-3 and when i checked it before going to bed it was 38-6.. somebody lit a fire under thier butts thats for sure.

This weeks starts conference play for some teams (NC State vs Clemson, VTech vs Ga Tech) so from here on out, the conference will be 6-6 since half the teams will be losing, so wins and losses wont really be an indicator of conference strength, but who wins and who loses will be telling.

You think thats big? how about 107,501 in 1 single Stadium?

;)

Yeah, this was also the only time in the last 7 years that "The school up North" has beaten Ohio State. GO BUCKS !!!

In case you're counting. ...

Days since Michigan

Oh we would CRUSH you guys; not even close after the dreadful offensive performances put up by Michigan. We're not known for our offense either, but our D is always up there with the best of 'em. It'd be something like 17-3 or 13-3 score, with Michigan being unable to move the ball at all.

And for those OSU fans, the rest of us cannot wait to see the Buckeyes get blown away EARLY in the season for once instead of always rolling thru the cupcake schedule and then looking foolish in the championship game. USC is gonna rip you guys apart, and the rest of the nation will be rejoicing along.

Points from this weeks games:

UNC blows Rutgers out of the barn (thurs night). I wonder how they will do against ACC foes.

South Florida loses to Nebraska 14-0 in first half, then takes the lead, then loses it again, then wins it in OT. Probably will beat State in 2 weeks, but dont look as strong as thier ranking implies.. two last minute close wins.

NC State loses to Clemson, no big surprise, wasnt as ugly as it could have been. The defense played well, then killed themselves on penalties. Multiple false starts in a row to give Clemson a first down with no plays run.. absolutely inexcusable.. Russel did well running, Beck did well passing but niether good enough to put points on the board. Next week against ECU will be ugly.

Duke beats Navy. Hey how bout those Blue Devils? Opens ACC play next week against UVa.

ECU squeaks by Tulane. 7-7 at the half, 21-21 after the third, 7-3 in the 4th quarter, ECU wins.

VTech squeaks by Ga Tech in conference play. Ga Tech got a TD and 2 pts in the 4th but not enough.

South Carolina loses (again) to UGA.. makes the NC State loss just look that much worse.

UVa gets blown out by UConn.. Maybe Duke stands a chance for a conference win?

Maryland jumps out bigtime on Cal, 35-27 (28-6 after 3) looks like a close game, but it wasnt.

Ohio State is getting whooped by USC as we speak (28-3 right now)

Auburn and Miss State show the world how to play defense in a hard fought smashmouth 3-2 Auburn win.

Michigan gets spanked by ND 35-17, both unranked, so not a headline kinda game.

Points from this weeks games:

NC State loses to Clemson, no big surprise, wasnt as ugly as it could have been. The defense played well, then killed themselves on penalties. Multiple false starts in a row to give Clemson a first down with no plays run.. absolutely inexcusable.. Russel did well running, Beck did well passing but niether good enough to put points on the board. Next week against ECU will be ugly.

Auburn and Miss State show the world how to play defense in a hard fought smashmouth 3-2 Auburn win.

:D

State's offense is awful; damn shame too because I see promise in that defense. Meanwhile, the Aub-MSST game was one of the worst offensive performances I have ever seen from Auburn (or by two teams for that matter) in a long, long time. Yes, the defenses were amazing, particulary Auburn's because at no point tonight was MSST able to move the ball against us. Auburn's offense had some success passing, but that was it. The penalties were pathetic, as was the entire offensive lines performance. Tuberville has to be disturbed by the lack of support from the O-line tonight. And then the fumbles...and also complete inability to simply run a play at times in the third and fourth quarters. Franklin has got to get this offense working soon.

Our defense though, as usual, was superior to the offense they faced tonight. Hell, they even got a shutout, as it was an offensive holding call that gave MSST a safety. Gotta love great defense. Lack of offense bothers me though.

Yeah.. I missed the 3rd quarter but I heard them talking about the 2 fumbles and the safety.. they got lucky no points came from it.

I dont know what the fix is for State... Wilson was 10-21 0TD 1INT... Beck was 5-8 0TD 1INT(end of the game hail mary in the endzone). Daniel Evans is godawful.. i felt like puking at the W&M game until they put Beck in and he lit them up. I think Beck actually did better then Wilson today but it was too little too late. Andre Brown is a "ok" runner, Underwood is "so-so".. Wilson had to scramble all game long which means the O-line wasnt protecting him (sad that Wilsons rushing stats were better then his passing stats, including a 9 yard loss on a sack). I hate to use it as an excuse, cause as they say in drag racing "gotta run what ya brung", you gotta learn to win with the men you have on the field, but obviously the team seems to be devastated by these injuries (Eugene, 1st and 2nd string TE's, Olinemen, Dlinemen) and almost think that they CANT win.. thats a cancer in the locker room that comes down to Tom Obrien.. if he can't fix that and get the guys to believe in themselves then this season will be worst then last season as we go 2-11 and then Obrien will get fired for something thats not really his fault.. Its frustrating to say the least. State should be better then this and for some reason they are not and we are all scratching our heads.. no excuses for this.. they gotta do better than this. As of right now, I'm not even sure we can beat Duke since Duke is playing pretty well. ECU and USF are both going to be ugly losses, after that it only gets worse: BC, FSU, MD, Duke, WF, UNC and Miami... I could see this team going 1-12 and god that would hurt something awful.. really screws your recruiting for years to come.

I'm a little worried about the State game next week as well. ECU had a really terrible first half against Tulane, and it almost cost them the game. Can't have that happening.

And last I heard, ECU lost Quentin Cotton to a serious injury in this past game, and that doesn't bode well. Cotton's a defensive beast and a real leader back there.

THE Ohio State University just got THE buttkicking of a lifetime. USC coulda named the score.

I don't ever want to see the Buckeyes in any preseason poll for a VERY long time.

I'm a little worried about the State game next week as well. ECU had a really terrible first half against Tulane, and it almost cost them the game. Can't have that happening.

And last I heard, ECU lost Quentin Cotton to a serious injury in this past game, and that doesn't bode well. Cotton's a defensive beast and a real leader back there.

That may have been a good game for those football fans who like close games, but for us Pirate fans... Ugh! Felt like we were about to slip back into some of the mediocre play that has plagued the team in past years to ruin good seasons.

Hopefully that served as a wake-up call for them and they'll play much better, because it was not the same team that played the past two weeks. Not to minimize Tulane, who everyone should keep an eye on after two near well-deserved upsets themselves, but ECU was giving them every chance they could to win it. What, four turnovers? Plus how many chances did ECU blow to pull a turnover themselves, or screw up due to a penalty? Like I've said here before, the turnovers and penalties are going to be ECU's Achilles' heal this year. The VT game and today's make it two now that they almost cost them the game. Let's hope they've gotten it out of their system and start playing more like they did against WVU.

Everyone thought that ECU's schedule was so easy after those first two games, but they're going to have to fight tooth and nail each and every game. Too many of those teams are ones that might not be top programs, but can play some very good games. Especially when they can be the spoiler.

If Cotton is out for the season, that's a huge, huge loss. :(

Yeah.. I missed the 3rd quarter but I heard them talking about the 2 fumbles and the safety.. they got lucky no points came from it.

I dont know what the fix is for State... Wilson was 10-21 0TD 1INT... Beck was 5-8 0TD 1INT(end of the game hail mary in the endzone). Daniel Evans is godawful.. i felt like puking at the W&M game until they put Beck in and he lit them up. I think Beck actually did better then Wilson today but it was too little too late. Andre Brown is a "ok" runner, Underwood is "so-so".. Wilson had to scramble all game long which means the O-line wasnt protecting him (sad that Wilsons rushing stats were better then his passing stats, including a 9 yard loss on a sack). I hate to use it as an excuse, cause as they say in drag racing "gotta run what ya brung", you gotta learn to win with the men you have on the field, but obviously the team seems to be devastated by these injuries (Eugene, 1st and 2nd string TE's, Olinemen, Dlinemen) and almost think that they CANT win.. thats a cancer in the locker room that comes down to Tom Obrien.. if he can't fix that and get the guys to believe in themselves then this season will be worst then last season as we go 2-11 and then Obrien will get fired for something thats not really his fault.. Its frustrating to say the least. State should be better then this and for some reason they are not and we are all scratching our heads.. no excuses for this.. they gotta do better than this. As of right now, I'm not even sure we can beat Duke since Duke is playing pretty well. ECU and USF are both going to be ugly losses, after that it only gets worse: BC, FSU, MD, Duke, WF, UNC and Miami... I could see this team going 1-12 and god that would hurt something awful.. really screws your recruiting for years to come.

See I just don't think we have any real talent on offense...I mean Wilson isn't bad but he's only 5'10...and Brown is solid but not spectacular enough to win games by himself...yet really he is our only offensive threat right now. Do we not have receivers at all or what? I mean just the complete lack of a passing game is ridiculous...hell Brown is our best catcher. On the flip side, I think our D isn't bad at all...in fact I'd say we have some good talent there...just not enough to make up for the terrible State offense.

You're right though...this year could be really, really bad.

EDIT: It amazes me how far State has fallen from grace the last few years. I was just thinking about it now. We went from having stars like Rivers and Cotchery (Offense) and Lawson and Williams (Defense) to really having no star talent whatsoever, in like the span of four years. Recruiting has taken a huge blow apparently.

VTech squeaks by Ga Tech in conference play. Ga Tech got a TD and 2 pts in the 4th but not enough.

South Carolina loses (again) to UGA.. makes the NC State loss just look that much worse.

UVa gets blown out by UConn.. Maybe Duke stands a chance for a conference win?

VT didn't squeak by Georgia Tech. Squeaking by implies that VT should have won that game. VT won that game by doing what they do best holding onto the ball and taking advantage of opportunities. They would have lost that game if any one of many things went the other way including a bad call helmet to helmet personal foul penalty and a stupid face masking penalty on their game winning drive, not to mention turn overs. Despite that GT still had the chance to win and would have if they hadn't miss-timed a play on their second to last possession with a wide open receiver. GT's got growing pains but they'll get over it and I don't think they would have lost that game if it was played later this season.

As for South Carolina's loss to UGA that doesn't make NCSU look worse. SC held it close in a game with a top 3 team who they had no business coming close to based on their loss to Vandy. The Vandy loss makes State look bad but not the loss to UGA.

And as for Duke they should win a conference game this year. Between their games against UVA and NCSU they might just be able to win both. I wouldn't go so high as three wins but two wouldn't surprise me in the least.

How about those PIRATES. Yeah they stunk most of the game..but they got it done...3-0! Do I hear top 10 baby?!?

The NCAA football season is right around the corner, and for some teams it's already here. Let's see who those teams are:

Tulsa 28 @ UL-Monroe 17 (Final)

Southeast Missouri State 3 @ Cincinnati 59 (Final)

Buffalo 3 @ Rutgers 38 (Final)

Miami(Ohio) 14 @ Ball State 13 (Final)

Murray State 10 @ Louisville 73 (Final)

LSU 45 @ Mississippi State 0(Final)

Southeastern Louisiana 14 @ New Mexico State 35(Final)

Kent State 23 @ Iowa State 14(Final)

UNLV 23 @ Utah State 16(Final)

Weber State 7 @ Boise State 56(Final)

Utah 7 @ Oregon State 24(Final)

EDIT: It amazes me how far State has fallen from grace the last few years. I was just thinking about it now. We went from having stars like Rivers and Cotchery (Offense) and Lawson and Williams (Defense) to really having no star talent whatsoever, in like the span of four years. Recruiting has taken a huge blow apparently.

Yup, and I will pin that one squarely on Chuck Amato, Philip Rivers fell into his lap, he was recruited by Mike OCain and Amato ran to Georgia to beg him to stay... He ignored local talent and went down to grab all the guys he had been talking to in Florida, and so he brought all of FSU's thugs up here that were in trouble academically and in trouble with the law and didnt really care about anything. Amato never tried to recruit a QB once he had Rivers.. The one guy who's name escapes me, played like one game when Rivers was knocked unconcious, and then played the year after he left as a red shirt senior, I believe he had a father or uncle who played at State, just like Daniel Evans. Either Amatos last year or Obriens first a bunch of guys were seniors that graduated and three or four went on to the NFL while the others moved on to private lives and left the team completely gutted. Amato had his best team handed to him with Rivers and Lawson and those guys all as incoming freshman and after 4 years had no one to replace them with and then failed miserably...

I was just thinking the other day about where might we be if we'd closed the deal up in Columbus five years ago.

I still think Amato's downfall was his inability to keep his coaching staffs together. Generally the best teams have staffs that have been together for years, but it seemed like half Chuck's coaches turned over every year.