The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

ECU is good. They'll maul N.C. State, and continue to romp through the sorry ACC.

Wait, are they even in the ACC? lol idk. Big East maybe? Even better for them.

They are in Conference USA, so it really matters if they run the table impressively or not because of Hawaii's implosion last year. That is why it matters that VT and WVU are both worse than previously thought.

Yup, exactly.

The thing is that college football has really changed, and there is a whole lot more parity today than there used to be. While I won't necessarily say that ECU can beat USC, they'd do a whole lot better against them than a lot of people would give them credit for. We might even get a more direct comparison when ECU plays UVA in a couple of weeks (and whom ECU beat two years ago when they played).

We already have a good comparison with Alabama with the Tulane game, which while the ECU-Tulane game may have been 'closer' when it comes to the score, Tulane is a team Alabama only scored one offensive touchdown against compared to three for ECU yet is ranked even higher. And ECU played at Tulane, while Alabama was at home.

I wouldn't start throwing stuff around about Alabama because they've been a Jekyll and Hyde team since Saban got there. They've beaten teams like Arkansas and Tennessee then turned around and lost to La Monroe. Plus their signature win is against Clemson, which might or might not be something to brag about.

You can say college football has changed all you want but Hawaii got its butts handed to them last year, so just going undefeated doesn't mean you are really that good. The pollsters will remember the game last year more than Boise State or Utah games.

But I suppose I should have been more clear in my statement, what I was going for is are they really going to crash the BCS? They are good and have to be the favorites to win their conference championship, but are they really better than BYU or Utah? ECU has to be better than both those teams if they are going to make a BCS bowl. And if I was going to bet on it the smart money is on BYU.

I'm expecting the worst today.. I don't expect State to hang with ECU very long. I didnt watch last nights game, and WVu only lost by 3 in over time, but I'm assuming by what you guys are saying is that they should have blown CU out of the barn if they were any good. Does that hurt ECU? I'm not sure.. ECU beat them as an unranked team, and then after suffering that upset the ranked team melts down and loses a couple more, shouldnt really hurt the value of that win, or thier "strength" of schedule. A lot of teams stumble like that after getting thier butts whooped by an unknown.. these are 18-20 year old guys, confidence and attitude means as much as skill.. you get down on yourself and you will play like *edit* even if you are a Hiesman winner.

As for the question of ECU breaking into the BCS... obviously if they go undefeated they will be ranked in the top 5, but they may not be ranked 1 or 2. Strength of schedule may hurt them as well as coming from a non-BCS conference. The pirates are doing themselves a huge favor with thier 4 non conf, games (Va Tech, WVU, NC State and Virginia).. however, with 3 of those 4 being from the ACC, that may hurt them since State and Virginia are both terrible this year, they wont count really as a "strong" win, but it is a BCS conference win. The rest of the way of course is CUSA, with a majority of the teams more well known for surprising runs in basketball, Houston, UAB, UTEP.... UCF did give South Florida a run for thier money, but dont know if that will be enough. They shouldn't lose any of those games, but of course conference foe Tulane is the only one to even get close for a upset.. so anything can happen, and one loss will end the debate.

If ECU goes undefeated and only one team also does, I dont see how they couldnt be in the BCS, but we've seen it happen before, as mentioned with smaller teams like Hawaii and BYU... I don't know if they can make it or not. We'll have to see.

Corso picked ECU but said it will be close... I hope he's right. If its less then a 10 pt loss I'll be pretty happy.

UPDATE at the half: ECU ahead 14-7, but without the pick-6 it would be 7-7. State's defense is playing great, and if not for bad bad missed tackles the ECU TD coulda been held to a FG. Not a lot of upside for ECU right now. They look bad.. even if they win this game, if they don't score more points it won't be a quality win.. 14-10 win against State won't be enough to get them into the BCS title game. If they lose of course its over.

I'm expecting the worst today.. I don't expect State to hang with ECU very long. I didnt watch last nights game, and WVu only lost by 3 in over time, but I'm assuming by what you guys are saying is that they should have blown CU out of the barn if they were any good. Does that hurt ECU? I'm not sure.. ECU beat them as an unranked team, and then after suffering that upset the ranked team melts down and loses a couple more, shouldnt really hurt the value of that win, or thier "strength" of schedule. A lot of teams stumble like that after getting thier butts whooped by an unknown.. these are 18-20 year old guys, confidence and attitude means as much as skill.. you get down on yourself and you will play like *edit* even if you are a Hiesman winner.

As for the question of ECU breaking into the BCS... obviously if they go undefeated they will be ranked in the top 5, but they may not be ranked 1 or 2. Strength of schedule may hurt them as well as coming from a non-BCS conference. The pirates are doing themselves a huge favor with thier 4 non conf, games (Va Tech, WVU, NC State and Virginia).. however, with 3 of those 4 being from the ACC, that may hurt them since State and Virginia are both terrible this year, they wont count really as a "strong" win, but it is a BCS conference win. The rest of the way of course is CUSA, with a majority of the teams more well known for surprising runs in basketball, Houston, UAB, UTEP.... UCF did give South Florida a run for thier money, but dont know if that will be enough. They shouldn't lose any of those games, but of course conference foe Tulane is the only one to even get close for a upset.. so anything can happen, and one loss will end the debate.

If ECU goes undefeated and only one team also does, I dont see how they couldnt be in the BCS, but we've seen it happen before, as mentioned with smaller teams like Hawaii and BYU... I don't know if they can make it or not. We'll have to see.

Well that ends that discussion.

GO PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a game.. holy cow...

Eh, I kind of expected this. The loss of Cotton has been really understated. And it showed today in our defense. Cotton in the game, and it's a whole different game.

And I'm not quite sure what happened to our offensive line, but they weren't giving Pinkney any time to work. Absolutely horrible game to watch.

So no BCS, no ranking, no big. The players started the season with only 1 goal, and that was to win the CUSA Championship. That goal is still attainable.

Corso picked ECU but said it will be close...

So that's what did it?

Corso picked VT and WVU over ECU. He seems to have some sort of negative effect on his picks in ECU games or something. Maybe we should get him to predict that the Canes will go 0-82 this season? :P

But yeah, that was a very disappointing loss. ECU's defense started out strong, but the offense looked pathetic most of the game. Still, they should have won that. The drives towards the end where they went four straight rushes up the middle including on 4th and goal was a horrible call. They should have run an option on at least one of those plays. State's line was manhandling the ECU O-line. Then they screwed up another drive shortly after where they looked like they might get a chance to score again. The score heading into the end of the game should have been 35-17 right there. Bad, bad play calls. :(

Plus Pinkney showed that everyone has had him overrated as a potential Heisman candidate. That fumble at the end... Ugh! He's not the worst QB, but he's not the kind of QB we've been used to here at ECU in the past (Blake, Crandall, Garrard, etc.). Everyone should have been reminded of that today. Hopefully they've got a top QB recruit who can step up next year. That's something I've missed for some time now after seeing so many great QB's in the 90's.

Though I don't want to take away from State at all. They came out and really outplayed ECU, and were easily the better team today. It's just after seeing what ECU is capable of, that was tough to watch. And wow, imagine if Brown had stuck around and played here at home at ECU? That guy is a beast!

The Cinderella story might be over, but like Icefrog said there's still a chance at a conference championship. Which is still a good big step for the program. Just it was so easy to get caught up in the hype of what could have been, and so nice to see ECU get some recognition nationally. I just had a feeling the loss was going to come against a different team later in the season, myself.

IMO, the officials turned the game around. That interception/fumble call at the end of the 2nd really screwed ECU over. Instead of starting on the Pack 40 with a decent chunk of time remaining, they start on their own 12 with seconds left. Really disappointed.

But yeah, that was a very disappointing loss. ECU's defense started out strong, but the offense looked pathetic most of the game. Still, they should have won that. The drives towards the end where they went four straight rushes up the middle including on 4th and goal was a horrible call. They should have run an option on at least one of those plays. State's line was manhandling the ECU O-line. Then they screwed up another drive shortly after where they looked like they might get a chance to score again. The score heading into the end of the game should have been 35-17 right there. Bad, bad play calls. :(

Though I don't want to take away from State at all. They came out and really outplayed ECU, and were easily the better team today. It's just after seeing what ECU is capable of, that was tough to watch. And wow, imagine if Brown had stuck around and played here at home at ECU? That guy is a beast!

The Cinderella story might be over, but like Icefrog said there's still a chance at a conference championship. Which is still a good big step for the program. Just it was so easy to get caught up in the hype of what could have been, and so nice to see ECU get some recognition nationally. I just had a feeling the loss was going to come against a different team later in the season, myself.

Sure, ECU made some mistakes and maybe some bad calls, but look at the mistakes State made.. the way the defense played in the first half, take away the pick-6 and the fumble on first and goal from the 1 and its 14-7 State at the half. ECU wasnt in the game at all, they were lucky to hang on for overtime. State was rolling on defense today and I think they deserved the win. State plays better in the first half and ECU gets blown out.. for some reason they didnt show up today. State got a little luck and some stout defense to hold on to the game even with the mistakes. Coulda been a blowout win for ECU but they couldnt capitalize.

I was expecting the officals to overturn that last touchdown... especially with a CUSA crew.. I know they should be impartial, but the one ref was 6 inches away and called it incomplete when he watched the guy tuck it into his gut and roll over without the ball touching the ground. I expected a couple of bad calls to cost State the game.

I thought State took a chance running for the TD in OT instead of just kicking the FG and taking the win... no faith in the kicker perhaps?

Wonder how next weeks game against South Florida will go? USF looks strong, but last week UCF gave em all they could handle... could be a good one. I just hope we can get a few conference wins. UNC, Miami, Wake and FSU will all be tough, and right now even Duke looks strong.

Go Pack!

I caught the last few minutes of the game, gotta give props to state, even though I was hoping ECU would win.

I'm an FSU fan, so I can't wait for the Wake FSU game tonight, should be a good one. It'll be a big win for FSU if they can pull it out.

All I can say is that now I can do my "GO PACK!" dance and stop having my heart attack the game was giving me!!

We are now gearing up for the Auburn game that will start in the next couple of hours. GO AUBURN!!

IMO, the officials turned the game around. That interception/fumble call at the end of the 2nd really screwed ECU over. Instead of starting on the Pack 40 with a decent chunk of time remaining, they start on their own 12 with seconds left. Really disappointed.

so you think it was that and not the goal line stand by the pack?

i mean, the play was reviewed and he was clearly down. i dont understand the issue.

and sorry for double posting.

All I can say is that now I can do my "GO PACK!" dance and stop having my heart attack the game was giving me!!

We are now gearing up for the Auburn game that will start in the next couple of hours. GO AUBURN!!

War Eagle!! I think Auburn can pull this one out, especially in thier own house. Should be a great game!

Thanks Mike Paulus. Transfer to Duke to be with your whiny punk brother you pathetic waste of oxygen.

Oh, and thanks to ESPN and ABC for not allowing me to see the game AT ALL, despite your insistence on switching ABC from the Miami/A&M game to the MSU/ND game... despite that you were ALREADY SHOWING IT ON ESPN!! Freakin' idiots.

Coulda been a blowout win for ECU but they couldnt capitalize.

That's exactly it right there. ECU didn't capitalize, but State did. Thus the outcome. Just like the punt that bounced and hit the punt returner, but even though there were 3-4 Pirates around the ball a State player dove in and recovered it. Both teams had opportunities, but ECU didn't take advantage of hardly any of them.

As for that fumble, he wasn't down. They showed the replay probably 20 times on TV, and the ball came out before he was down. He was holding it out away with only one hand and lost control when the ECU player pulled it away from behind. The State player had his hand on the ball the entire time, but he didn't have control of it. The announcers were quick to say it wasn't a fumble, then after watching the replays were dumbfounded when it wasn't ruled ECU's ball. Which those announcers should have been wearing red and white today since they were practically cheering on State the entire game. There was even one ECU pass that was deflected where the play-by-play guy got caught saying "AND HE PICKS IT... er, he came close to picking that one off."

I won't blame the officiating for the outcome, though. ECU did enough on their own kicking themselves in the foot whenever they started to do anything with stupid penalties and mistakes, and they simply couldn't pull away to take control of the game. They let State control the game.

so you think it was that and not the goal line stand by the pack?

That play gets called correctly, the game enters the half 17-7 ECU or 21-7 ECU. Completely different game if that happens, as ECU came out of halftime dominant. The goal line stand was impressive, but it wasn't like ECU was telegraphing the play everytime. You know the saying: If it doesn't work the first 3 times, why not try it a 4th? :rolleyes:

And as Pirate Caniac stated, the player wasn't down when the ball came loose. It wasn't even close. By the time the State player's knee hit the turf, the ball was already stripped and in the ECU player's hold. It was stunning that they could make a wrong call that blatant.

State deserves credit for capitalizing on ECU's (and official) mistakes, but that's exactly it. Those mistakes don't happen, and ECU walks away with it easily.

That play gets called correctly, the game enters the half 17-7 ECU or 21-7 ECU. Completely different game if that happens, as ECU came out of halftime dominant. The goal line stand was impressive, but it wasn't like ECU was telegraphing the play everytime. You know the saying: If it doesn't work the first 3 times, why not try it a 4th? :rolleyes:

And as Pirate Caniac stated, the player wasn't down when the ball came loose. It wasn't even close. By the time the State player's knee hit the turf, the ball was already stripped and in the ECU player's hold. It was stunning that they could make a wrong call that blatant.

State deserves credit for capitalizing on ECU's (and official) mistakes, but that's exactly it. Those mistakes don't happen, and ECU walks away with it easily.

Maybe, maybe not. ECU struggled in the first half.. who's to say they get the ball there and then score? Keep Beck out of the game, erase the pick-6 and its 7-0 State, then 7-7 at the half... we could play "what if" all day to say what could have happened. I dont believe the play effected the game at all... no gaurantee ECU scores from there, State held em back all day.. and they were up 14-7 at the time anyway, so it didnt really matter. I would argue that the defender got turned sideways before the ball was knocked out and would say that his forward progress was stopped.. does that apply to a INT return? I have no idea. But thats a possibility as to why it got called that way. Personally I think he was an idiot to run it back and shoulda dove to the ground... Defensive players usually play defense cause they can't catch and cant hold on to the ball. Granted he had both hands wrapped around the ball, i'm surprised it got knocked out.

ECU came out of halftime dominant? How do you figure that? State scores first in the 3rd to tie it 14-14, ECU scores and then State kicks a FG to make it 21-17.. yeah we are down, but we outscored em 10-7 in the 3rd quarter. We hold them to a FG in the 4th then get the TD to tie it...

Regardless of weird bounces bad calls and whatever.. State outscored ECU 30-17 on offense (add the pick 6 for the final) and usually when ya out score your opponent you win.

Yeah, they struggled in the first half, but if you start with a fresh pair of downs on the opponent's 40, you're typically going to get at least a field goal out of it.

And yes, ECU came out of halftime dominant. The commentators even said as such. Our defense was playing better, our offense took 4 plays to regain the lead. All the momentum was in our favor. Think about it: If ECU had a 2-possession lead at the half, let's say State scores and brings it back to a 1 possession game. Then ECU's offense gets on the field and takes 4 plays to bring it back to a 2 possession one. Is that not a much damaging thing than a 1 possession lead?

ECU played much better in the second half, yes I agree... I expected them to run away with it.. but they didnt and State scored when they needed to.

Don't worry.. you can laugh next week when we get stomped by USF.

Although.... USF has looked bad the last two weeks.. wins over UCF and FIU that were not dominating. Perhaps a chance there? Who knows.

Eh, like I said before, it's not a big deal, since I expected a loss sooner or later. I'm just angry that it came at the hands of a rival, in such a close game. Any other team, fine. A blowout against State, fine. But losing like that? Not happy about it.

But now that the pressure of being ranked and BCS is hopefully over, we can focus on the CUSA Championship again. Next week against Houston, at Greenville. So glad we've got another home game.

Thanks to Ryan Shoemaker for letting LSU start their comeback at their own FORTY-FIVE YARD LINE.

****. First 14-3, then 21-20...LSU just had more weapons than us. These comebacks really hurt though...and are very predictable.

UNC did the same thing too.. was up 14-3 on VTech and then gave it away.. pretty surprising for both teams.