The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

Eh, like I said before, it's not a big deal, since I expected a loss sooner or later. I'm just angry that it came at the hands of a rival, in such a close game. Any other team, fine. A blowout against State, fine. But losing like that? Not happy about it.

But now that the pressure of being ranked and BCS is hopefully over, we can focus on the CUSA Championship again. Next week against Houston, at Greenville. So glad we've got another home game.

Yeah.. you should continue to do well. Hell of a way to start the season, on the road against Vtech and State. I still think ECU is a great team.. obviously I'm glad State pulled it off.. we needed it and it will probably be the one bright spot in another dismal season. We got BC who just nailed up 34 points on central florida, wake AND FSU (surprising FSU only got 3 points, but a low scoring game.. 12-3 win by Wake), then Miami who hammered Texas A&M 41-23, then UNC who shoulda beat VT and gave it away, Duke who is pretty darn good this year.. Maryland who knows which team will show up, the one that tromped Cal and E Michigan or the one that bumbled against Middle Tenn State.. and then USF who is ranked, but possibly struggling.. I dont see too many games in that schedule that State can win. We might could beat Duke, FSU and UNC.. the rest probably L's... 5-7 wont quite cut it... However, next year should be promising.

UNC did the same thing too.. was up 14-3 on VTech and then gave it away.. pretty surprising for both teams.

Was 17-3. Get it right! :)

Auburn cost me a perfect day "picking games." I'm mad at them. That's the kind of game Tubs seems to ALWAYS win. C'est la vie. Or whatever it is.

Auburn cost me a perfect day "picking games." I'm mad at them. That's the kind of game Tubs seems to ALWAYS win. C'est la vie. Or whatever it is.

Not against LSU. We win those types of games against most other opponents (esp. Florida), but lately LSU always seems to come back and get the very last laugh. We always run out of time.

LOL My bad!! Either way.. I expected UNC to take care of business and take home the W.. very dissapointing loss.

Finally the ACC had a good weekend for out of conference games, without any blemishes...

NC State's upset of a ranked ECU

GT trounced a supposedly good SEC defense (Mississippi St) 38-7

BC handled Central Florida 34-7

Maryland easily topped E. Michigan 51-24

and Clemson trounced South Carolina St.

Bye Bye #1 ranking USC... Trojans drop the ball again. 27-21 doesnt sound that bad.. but it was 21-0 Oregan State at the half... ouch... Thats like the 3rd time or so that USC has lost to them while being undefeated and highly ranked. Looks like either Oklahoma or Georgia should move into the #1 spot.

Cam Sexton = CLUTCH! And Goddard's interception in the end zone, stealing the bobbled ball from the falling Miami receiver with the game in his hands, to ice it was beyond incredible.

I will freely admit - I didn't think the Heels had that in them today. I was wrong, and I am happy to say as much. The only thing Paulus should be gripping the rest of this season is a clipboard. Sexton earned the job with that performance today, and if he can do that for a few more weeks, T.J. may be out of a job when the ankle heals.

Oh, and Miami's QB spells his last name wrong, by the way.

OH! And how awesome was FLORIDA losing today. Gotta love the refs trying to give Florida an extra yard on the third down play - THEN an extra timeout by CALLING FOR A MEARSUREMENT when a blind man could've seen the guy was down a yard and a half shy of the marker. Problem is the whole thing backfired, because it gave the Ole Miss defense an extra minute or two to regroup after Florida dink and dunked their way down the field, and they stopped the Ultimate Warrior on fourth down. Someone must've blew a blocking assignment because nobody puts Tebow in ta corner.

God love college football.

ECU loses on a schoolyard play. Houston's on their own 10, their QB's under pressure, about to run out of bounds for a loss of yards, but gets the pass off. To a wide open receiver on the 50. There was no one within 20 yards of the guy. That was a huge change in the game.

And I'm going to complain about the reffing again, because ECU can't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot with these penalties. To start the 2nd half, ECU returns the opening kickoff to the opponent's 40. Good, right? Nope. Holding all the way back at the 20. ECU starts on their own 10 and goes 3 and out.

I'm literally sick after this game. Probably the heat, but the game didn't help

21-3 USF over State.. State better start playing some damn defense or this game is already gone.

Update: 28-3.. States defense is playing a little better.. held USF to two FG trys (one miss, one good).. but 2 safetys on bad snaps? *edit*? The 4 points hurts, but what hurts worse is two blown offensive drives... one was a punt so I guess that drive was dead anyway.. but the fumbled shotgun snap.. oh boy... If the defense can get going, unfortunately we still need to rely on the stalled out offense to put some points on the board.. this will be ugly...

I can think of a few other adjectives it's been, as well.

LOL.. Bama TAKING it to Georgia.... yet another team unworthy of the #1... looks like Oklahoma will be #1...

31-10 USF over state at the half.. could be worse.. State's defense picked it up and we scored on offense. Hope the second half is better.

Arrrggggghhhhhhhh State gets the ball to the 6 yard line and can't score... Brown runs on third down and gets it to the 2, and then on 4 and goal they call a play action pass after Brown just ran it for 5 yards... what kinda stupid call is that??? Thats not even Beck's fault, although he did throw it into triple coverage.. someone somewhere had to be open. 2 drives in a row we hold them to punts.. if we get a TD there, then score again its 31-24 and it is a whole new ball game... now even if we score we will probably run out of time before we can hope to complete the comeback...

Like I said before, the loss of Cotton is greatly understated here. When you lose a "do it all" guy in the backfield like that, it's going to be hard to replace that hole.

Not like State has any room to talk. At least ECU's game was somewhat competitive.

That loss to NC State must have shaken the Pirates today, a lost to Houston?

I have no idea what happened. I don't think it had anything to do with State, though. ECU has been going backwards each week since their first two games. Tulane they looked off, but still played well enough to pull out a win against a good team. State they looked horrible against a team that's been playing, well horrible, so far this year, but still managed to make a game of it and made State use OT to win. Today, ugh! It was pathetic. Turnover after turnover. Plus anytime they started doing anything they got a penalty.

Got to agree with you that the reffing was pathetic today, too, Icefrog. Though some if not most were deserved. Just seemed that all the close calls went Houston's way. Was it just me or pretty much every kick return or punt return there was a blocking in the back penalty against the Pirates? The one was definitely deserved and I was really pissed after seeing how the ball goes out of bounds, then some idiot Pirate comes flying down and hits a guy out of bounds after the whistle blew - personal foul taking the ball from the 40 to the 25. They even had the opposite happen, stopping the Houston returner at the 25 only to get a personal foul called against them to bring Houston out to the 40. The call that really got me was the leading with the helmet call. The guy dove to knock to the ground a Houston guy that was practically sitting on a Pirate defender, and they call that? What was he supposed to do, stand there and wait for the guy to get up? The one reception that was reviewed was questionable, too. The replays they showed on TV looked like he didn't have control of the ball until after his foot had left the ground, but the official overturned it to give it to them.

Every time ECU looked like they were getting their act together, though, they just gave the ball back to Houston. Pinkney even gave them a fumble just like he did the one in OT against State. By the 4th quarter I was saying forget Pinkney, forget Kass, just find a young guy that might have a shot at playing QB next year and give him some experience.

If Houston didn't give away as many turnovers as they did, the score would have been more like 60 to 24. ECU hasn't played a game this poorly since Thompson was shown the door. The only good news for ECU right now is that any schools that may have been considering giving Holtz a call for an interview after this season might have some question marks after this game.

Hopefully now that they no longer are a 'BCS buster' and have set themselves back in the conference championship hunt (as usual), maybe just maybe they'll actually start to show up to the games again. Until then I think we need to call out an alert for the ECU team that played the first two weeks of the season. If anyone sees them, please call ECU so we can get them back here where they belong.

Like I said before, the loss of Cotton is greatly understated here. When you lose a "do it all" guy in the backfield like that, it's going to be hard to replace that hole.

Not like State has any room to talk. At least ECU's game was somewhat competitive.

Cotton being out explains why the D isn't quite as good as it was, but the thing is the offense is what is really killing ECU. Pinkney went from being talked about as a potential Heisman candidate to the MVP of the other team. The past two weeks he's been overthrowing the ball consistently, and his fingers are butter when he's under pressure. Putting Kass in to start the second half was the best call by the coaching staff today, but then he throws the interception and they put Pinkney back in. Like he would have done better in that situation.

Like I've been saying, ECU's offense has been their weak link this year, and it's really starting to show. Pinkney was much better the first two games when it was running based, but since then they've gone to a passing game that he isn't suited for. Plus both the offensive and defensive lines were awesome the first two games, but neither have looked good since.

It's really odd as a Pirates fan, as in the past ECU has usually been all offense and no defense, but this year the D is pretty decent (even with Cotton out it's better than in the past) and the offense looks pathetic.

I (like everyone else) left the stadium after Kass threw the interception, but he was the best choice at the time. Pinkney was terrible today. Don't know what happened to him, but he couldn't get anything right.

And I'm not sure who to blame in this game. In the first half, Houston had over 300 yards of offense, 100+ rushing and 200+ in the air. That's a serious defensive problem On the other hand, we had less than 100 yards of offense in the first half. That's a serious offensive problem. If even one of the two could have clicked in this game, it would have gone a different way. But when both sides fail to show up, well, then you get a game like today's.

I just can't believe we caused them to fumble so many times, and came up with absolutely nothing to show for it each and every time. We even worked against ourselves half the time. We cause a fumble, but by the time someone comes up with the ball, we lost 20 yards from the spot of the fumble.

You can probably already guess what I'd say: the blame lies with the offense.

In the first two games ECU's offense controlled the ball and ran a solid running game. The past three games the other team has controlled the ball most of the game, and ECU went to the air more often than not. No matter how good a defense you have that is never a good thing.

So, I'd say that the blame lies with the offense, because if they'd been able to move the ball and keep the ball out of Houston's hands, ECU would have won the game. Instead, they gave the ball back so quickly it made your head spin.

Man, the worst thing is all my teams are out to horrible starts this year. The Indians slipped out of contention early. The Browns have lost three straight after such a promising end to last year (hopefully they'll finally put in Quinn and turn that around). Now ECU, who shocked me into thinking this might finally be their year they prove something, now throws that all away immediately after.

Help me Carolina Hurricanes, you're my only hope! :lol:

Oh, and if I'd gone to the game I'd have left after the Kass interception, too. Though if you didn't leave after that, you would have left when they put Pinkney back in the next drive and he fumbled it away. <_<

I don't know if we should be running much anymore. IMO, that was a big reason why we've been terrible these past couple games. Like it or not, Williams and Simmons aren't Johnson. Neither of them have the elusiveness of Johnson, so when they get stopped at the pile, they're done more often than not. We're picking up 1/2 yards on 1st and 2nd down. Or even worse is when it's 3rd and 4, and we decide to run it and only pick up 2. That's killer.

The running game is what killed us against State as well. It's 1st and goal on their 2 yard line. We run the ball not once, not twice, not 3 times, but 4 times we try to stuff it in their, when it was obvious to anyone with eyes that it wasn't going to happen after the 2nd try.