The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

Well, part of that isn't that they're running. It's where they are running. Always straight up the middle. We made State's and now Houston's defensive lines look really good because they knew to expect a run up the middle, and we kept going right there. So they just fill up the middle and there's no place to run.

I still say if ECU had run the option run on one of those 4 downs on the goal line against State, ECU comes away with a win. Instead they run 4 straight up the middle. The 4th one with the RB's not even knowing what to run, which is nuts when they just kept running the same play over and over and over again.

If ECU needs to go to more of a passing game though, then they need Kass in. Pinkney is good for only runs and short passes. That works fine so long as the run game is working. If the run can be stopped, then the offense is very easy to shut down, and Pinkney just can't seem to throw it deep to open things up more.

I will give State credit for one thing... they didnt give up. The defense stiffened in the second half and actually started stopping them.. USF didnt punt until the 3rd quarter. But it was too little too late... there was no coming back from that horrendous first quarter. State had several chances to score and blew it.. so I would put the loss on the offense even though the defense gave up 41... We lost our two best defensemen last week too in Cash and Irving.. and boy did it show... missed tackles.. couldnt contain the QB... I think the QB ran more on us then the RB did. Next week against BC will be no picnic. I hope Russel comes back since he can run and Beck cant... 4th and goal on the 2 yard line, beck could have easily ran in for the score and threw it into triple coverage instead. Brown or Eugene also probably could have scored from there.

How about Duke annhilating Virginia and UNC rallying past Miami? Things are certainly changing in the ACC... Miami is 0-1 in conference, plus a drubbing by Florida. FSU has looked dominate in 3 non-conf games, but gets blasted by WFU to be 0-1 in conference. VTech is 2-0 in conference but only with narrow wins over GTech and UNC (both games 20-17). I dont see a dominate team in the conference yet.. even State at 2-3 is only one loss in conference to clemson. BC has been the same as FSU.. crushing three non-conf opponents and then losing 19-16 to GTech to put them at 0-1. If State could somehow beat BC and FSU the next two weeks and move to 2-1 in conference they could very well be leading the atlantic divison. No one is out of it yet. How crazy is it that Duke is 3-1? And with only the 4 point loss to NW could easily be 4-0? Wow.. and the win over Uva puts them at 1-0 in conference.

Bad week to be a ranked team... USC down, Wisc down, Florida down, ECU down, Clemson down, Georgia down... only Oklahoma made it out unscatched... OU will obviously be #1, but I wonder who will be number 2? LSU? Alabama? #6 Missouri who didnt play this week? Probably LSU, but they played a tight game with miss. st where bama humiliated Georgia.

How about Duke annhilating Virginia and UNC rallying past Miami? Things are certainly changing in the ACC... Miami is 0-1 in conference, plus a drubbing by Florida. FSU has looked dominate in 3 non-conf games, but gets blasted by WFU to be 0-1 in conference. VTech is 2-0 in conference but only with narrow wins over GTech and UNC (both games 20-17). I dont see a dominate team in the conference yet.. even State at 2-3 is only one loss in conference to clemson. BC has been the same as FSU.. crushing three non-conf opponents and then losing 19-16 to GTech to put them at 0-1. If State could somehow beat BC and FSU the next two weeks and move to 2-1 in conference they could very well be leading the atlantic divison. No one is out of it yet. How crazy is it that Duke is 3-1? And with only the 4 point loss to NW could easily be 4-0? Wow.. and the win over Uva puts them at 1-0 in conference.

Someone is out of it, UVA. UVA is terrible.

Duke deserves credit for the win because even when teams beat themselves they don't do it 31-3, but I have a feeling Duke's reached the high point of their season because though that team is way better than they were last year, they still probably can't beat 3/4 of the ACC. Now if they go into Atlanta next week and beat GT then I'll eat my words, but I just don't see that happening (and I am admittedly biased). Duke's offense just doesn't look that good, too many dropped passes and miscues, and those 31 points are deceiving because a lot of them were because of UVA's turnovers or mistakes. Duke is going to have trouble scoring against good defenses and most the teams left on their schedule play defense, unlike the 4 they have already faced.

As far as the conference changing yes Duke and UNC rising is a change but Miami and FSU haven't been good, much less great, for years. At this point the conference is wide open without a dominant team, though VT does have the upper hand in the Coastal division, assuming that Duke, though better, is still Duke.

Someone is out of it, UVA. UVA is terrible.

Duke deserves credit for the win because even when teams beat themselves they don't do it 31-3, but I have a feeling Duke's reached the high point of their season because though that team is way better than they were last year, they still probably can't beat 3/4 of the ACC. Now if they go into Atlanta next week and beat GT then I'll eat my words, but I just don't see that happening (and I am admittedly biased). Duke's offense just doesn't look that good, too many dropped passes and miscues, and those 31 points are deceiving because a lot of them were because of UVA's turnovers or mistakes. Duke is going to have trouble scoring against good defenses and most the teams left on their schedule play defense, unlike the 4 they have already faced.

As far as the conference changing yes Duke and UNC rising is a change but Miami and FSU haven't been good, much less great, for years. At this point the conference is wide open without a dominant team, though VT does have the upper hand in the Coastal division, assuming that Duke, though better, is still Duke.

Yeah.. I wonder how long Duke can hold on.. but hey.. 3-1, first conference win since 05.. live it up while it lasts.. it only gets harder from here. Duke now has something to build on and a young QB who is really good.. just goes to show Duke had talent all along.. just needed a 1A coach instead of a high school coach.. they finally somehow got a good coach. Great for them. The rest of the schedule could go like this for Duke... GTech (L) Miami (L) Vandy (Big L) Wake (L) NC State (W..if State can't play better) Clemson (L) VTech (L) UNC (W). Finish up 5-7 but for them thats pretty good.

I agree with ya also, UVA is out of it.. and yeah, Miami and FSU have struggled for the last several years.. nothing new there.

State's got a tough road to hoe.. but we CAN be FSU.. we CAN beat Duke.. we CAN beat Miami.. we CAN beat UNC.. the question is WILL we? State can either finish 6-6 or 2-10... they gotta figure something out on offense.. since just a good defense isnt winning many games for us. Wilson, Cash and Irving out hurts us badly on offense and defense... hopefully they can come back or it will be another dismal season. The QB situation is just killing us at State and has for years.. Amato failed to recruit anyone once he had Rivers and now we are screwed because of it.

NC State has the potential to go to a bowl game. The question then turns to our execution...particularly at the quarterback position. We have a bright spot i.e. Russel Wilson, who is now injured for the second time this season. And then we go to Harrison Beck, who has his moments more bad than good but he can throw the ball over the cornfield on a regular basis. Then we move to the ever beloved Daniel Evans, who is continually booed everytime he touches the ball. He's scared to stand in the pocket as a Senior QB he can't throw the ball more than 25 yds. and he cannot manage the game well. Unless we have some major gameplan for BC I think it's going to come down to Andre Brown and Jamelle Eugene running the ball effectively which they have been doing recently. The rest of the season we play Top 25 teams and we need 4 more wins to make a bowl game. It can happen with 2 of out games against Duke and UNC (both away) we might have a shot if we can pull off some upsets. But next year...the red shirt won't matter and Glennon will get to start with a fresh new crop of WRs. It'll be interesting but then again it's NC State football.

:mellow: Auburn :angry:

I have never seen a Tommy Tuberville Auburn football team fall apart like they did tonite against Vanderbilt. So much to say about this game, so little strength to get it out.

Not worth my time or effort.

And NCSU was just as bad.

:mellow: Auburn :angry:

I have never seen a Tommy Tuberville Auburn football team fall apart like they did tonite against Vanderbilt. So much to say about this game, so little strength to get it out.

Not worth my time or effort.

And NCSU was just as bad.

How can you say NC State was "just as bad"? Tied 31 to 31 and losing in the last minute... thats a hell of a lot better then getting blown out 34-0.. I'll take a close lose anyday. You could said it was over when it was 21-7 and then we out scored them 10-0 in the second to make it 17-21. I didnt see the game and only heard bits on the radio.. but it sounded like a damn good game.. 7-0 and Graham returns the kick off 102 yards to make it 7-7.. then we get down 21-7, come back to 21-17 then I missed most of the second half and come back and its tied 31-31... what part of that is bad? Yes we gave up some big passes.. our run defense was top notch.. all of our questions are in the secondary... This game today has taken State's team leaps and bounds past where they were at the beginning of the season. Florida State is 4-1 but 3 wins against nobodys and a blow out loss to Wake.. I doubt they are very confident bunch right now.. barely beating Miami? If State can fix there defense who knows what could happen in 2 weeks. We get a week off to get some guys healthy and practice hard.. State has a good record playing thursday night ESPN games at home. We've upset FSU before on thursday night. Should be a barnburner.

As far as Auburn.. i don't see how a 1 point loss to an undefeated team is bad either..but I didnt see the game so I dont know if Auburn should have won in a blow out. Thanks for blowing it for me too since i was gonna watch it on ESPN at 11:30.. didnt realize it was a repeat. :P

What about Maryland getting BLOWN out by an AWFUL Virginia team? How about a pretty decent Duke team getting shut out by Georgia Tech..

How about UNC whooping the hell out of undefeated UConn... 2 defensive TD's.. an interception return by the BIG FELLA.. not often a Dlineman scores a TD... The funny thing is they havent done squat on Offense.. all thier points have come from good good defense and bad bad mistakes by UConn.. but hey... a win is a win.. 38-12.. this ones probably over...

Well, after Auburn rolled over like a dog against Vandy, Tommy Tuberville went back to the hotel and tried to kick the bucket...

...but Bruce Carter came out of nowhere and blocked the kick.

Thankfully GT overcame a lack luster first half and put Duke away, though its not like Duke's offense ever did much of anything the entire game. But the ACC continues to be unpredictably bad with that Maryland loss, one week they are being touted as the best team or second best team in the Atlantic division, then they turn around and loose to the worst team in the Coastal, who has been listed at least once as one of the worst div-1 teams this year.

This is gonna get ugly before it's done. Word is 'round here is that Franklin didn't get fired, but that he told Tubs to take the job and shove it, and Auburn's in damage control mode now. Franklin signed on for one thing, and then Auburn wouldn't let him actually, ya know, DO what they brought him into do. That being, run his offense they way he wanted it run. Larry Blakeney let Franklin have full reign down at Troy - he obviously didn't have that in Auburn and was undermined by Tubs' lower level offensive coaches that he likes so much.

This is a good thing for Franklin - he will land on his feet somewhere and be better off. As for Auburn, it's getting nasty right now, and they better hope that running backs Lester, Tate, and Fannin can carry the load the rest of the year, because if not, the program is going down the toilet. It's bad enough the Crimson morons up the road seem to be credible once again.

Holy Cow... a HORRIBLE call by the officals nearly costs UNC a comeback win against Notre Dame.. what in the world was he thinking? Thats as bad as the buffalo wildwings commercial were the guy calls it no TD to put the game in OT at the requests of the fans. The Carolina reciever caught the ball with both hands, spun the ball and tucked it into his elbow (the textbook definition of possession and CONTROL)... gets tackled, shoulder hits the ground, he rolls over and ball pops out. Where in all of that do you get an incomplete pass?!?!?!?! If you call anything at all, its a fumble, which you can't call, since the ground BY RULE can't cause a fumble and the ball went out of bounds anyway so it doesnt matter. First Down Carolina, 2 minutes left.. game over.. instead the give the ball to Notre Dame who almost drives down to score, then they try to give ND another call!!! Wow.. the must be smoking something good in the refs locker room... absolutely crazy.

Its insane when a defense can come out and force 3 turnovers to take over a game, only to have the game taken away from them by the refs. Stupid call.. baffling call.. Even as a State fan, I'm glad to see UNC hang on and not get robbed... they had that game in hand, but I guess by the NCAA rules of overrated franchises, you have to give ND a chance to win it on a hail mary.... *sarcasm*...

This is gonna get ugly before it's done. Word is 'round here is that Franklin didn't get fired, but that he told Tubs to take the job and shove it, and Auburn's in damage control mode now. Franklin signed on for one thing, and then Auburn wouldn't let him actually, ya know, DO what they brought him into do. That being, run his offense they way he wanted it run. Larry Blakeney let Franklin have full reign down at Troy - he obviously didn't have that in Auburn and was undermined by Tubs' lower level offensive coaches that he likes so much.

This is a good thing for Franklin - he will land on his feet somewhere and be better off. As for Auburn, it's getting nasty right now, and they better hope that running backs Lester, Tate, and Fannin can carry the load the rest of the year, because if not, the program is going down the toilet. It's bad enough the Crimson morons up the road seem to be credible once again.

416 yards given up to Arkansas. Just 193 for our own offense.

It's officially past damage control now. Could be our worst season in 8 years.

I knew those early wins were cheap. We're in real trouble now. I mean Arkansas ALWAYS gives us trouble...but the stats don't lie. I'm surprised they didn't blow us away.

Thank God I have the Hurricanes to watch.

Thank God I have the Hurricanes to watch.

You're not the only one... <_<

Who'd have thought after those first two games that ECU would lose three straight to State, Houston, and Virginia. All games they should have won. Even if they had lost the first two games of the season.

They almost pulled a Canes comeback today, but they should have rolled over UVA to begin with. Just kept giving the game away instead. :angry:

I was just glad that GT's debacle against Gardner-Webb wasn't televised so I didn't have to put myself through that. They won because they have a good defense but if they've got to use the third string quarterback in anything but a blow out they are in major trouble. Next weeks game against Clemson could be just as ugly as the Wake-Clemson game this week.

The best game I saw yesterday was definitely UT-OU, which lived up to the billing.

Also out... Brandon Tate. For the season. Torn knee ligaments.

Carolina has persevered thru the loss of Yates. They'll have to do the same here. I'm confident they can and will.

And down goes Tommy Bowden, http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028' target="_blank">Per "Sources" according to ESPN[/post]. I guess even the promise of Willy Korn couldn't save him.

My first reaction is "its about time".. but maybe theres a "not so fast" involved here..

Hmm.. I seem to remember Bowden struggling.. but now that I look at the records, it doesnt seem too bad.

9-3 in 07 with a bowl loss to Auburn

8-4 in 06 with a bowl loss to Kentucky

7-4 in 05 with 2 OT losses and a bowl win over Colorado

6-5 in 04 with no bowl...

He improved every year... more wins, minus the 2 bowl losses.. and you figure the more wins meant a tougher bowl opponent. I'm not sure Clemson would ever be able to hang with Auburn. That Peach bowl bid is no cupcake.

3-3 this year is bad, but theres still time to turn it around... This doesnt seem to be a performance firing.. maybe conflicts with higher ups? Or just plain rumor thats not true.. We shall see... ?

My first reaction is "its about time".. but maybe theres a "not so fast" involved here..

Hmm.. I seem to remember Bowden struggling.. but now that I look at the records, it doesnt seem too bad.

9-3 in 07 with a bowl loss to Auburn

8-4 in 06 with a bowl loss to Kentucky

7-4 in 05 with 2 OT losses and a bowl win over Colorado

6-5 in 04 with no bowl...

He improved every year... more wins, minus the 2 bowl losses.. and you figure the more wins meant a tougher bowl opponent. I'm not sure Clemson would ever be able to hang with Auburn. That Peach bowl bid is no cupcake.

3-3 this year is bad, but theres still time to turn it around... This doesnt seem to be a performance firing.. maybe conflicts with higher ups? Or just plain rumor thats not true.. We shall see... ?

The problem is recently when Bowden's had a good team he starts out well, then inexplicably looses to a team he shouldn't, in a game he was clearly out-coached.

07 - Started out 4-0 and lost to a mediocre GT team in a game with zero offense.

06 - Got to 7-1 before dropping 4 out of his last 5.

It is definitely a performance thing, just like when Coker got fired at Miami. The performance problem is not living up to expectations. The only reason this surprises me is the price tag, he's got a $4 million buyout clause. I knew Clemson would regret that extension they signed him to but I just didn't think it would happen this fast.

And who could possibly replace him...?

TUBERVILLE!

As a fan of other teams in the conference I am more worried about Will Muschamp being hired than Tuberville. Hopefully someone else will offer him the job before Clemson does.

I've got two words for last nights game... BULL ****. What the hell? I didnt know the refs could be bought off at halftime. I dont care how long Bobby Bowden has been coaching, and I respect the man to no end, but he talks to the refs at halftime and as a response they dont call ONE SINGLE penalty on FSU nearly the WHOLE SECOND HALF?!?! They called one holding call late in the 4th that didnt matter.

The helmet to helmet call was totally bogus. The State player turned his body and led with his shoulder.. that was a good clean hit.. hell the QB jumped straight up and back into the huddle so it wasnt even violent enough to hurt the guy. So what do the refs do? Give FSU 15 yards on what (if I remember) was a 3rd and long.. would have led to another field goal.. instead they get the ball on like the 12 yard line and score a TD.

However.. given that fiasco that cost us the game.. I do have one bone to pick with NC State's offense. I was on my way home and listening to States first drive on the radio and Brown and Eugene are just running wild, grabbing 15 and 20 yard runs left and right.... so I get home.. and its 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line and they throw a pass with these two guys basically running free?? I missed 1st and second down so I dont know if FSU stopped them from running... but that was an odd call.. of course Hill should have caught it for a TD.. he had it in his damn hands.. so State should have scored a TD on the first drive and been up 14-3 at the half instead of 10-6.

Also, with State.. what happened to the defense in the second half? We stuffed them on three straight drives in the first.. leading to a punt and 2 FGs.. and then suddenly in the 2nd half we couldnt stop them?? Now, like the announcers said.. a lot of that hinges on the O going 3 and out and not giving the D time to catch thier breath. FSU goes 3 and 4 deep in their offense so they had plenty of rested guys...

We didnt play great.. I wont say that... but FSU didnt play great either.. we hung in there, and the damn boys in zebra stripes made sure FSU won.

Wow.. Carolina gives up an easy one against Virginia... so much for the vaunted UNC defense.. let virginia march down the field late in the fourth to tie it and then they cant score a TD in OT. Only putting up 10 points in regulation against a team giving up 25.6 pts a game (that includes 0 against richmond and 0 against maryland, but USC put up 52, Uconn 45 and ECU 20)...Things starting to fall apart for the Heels?

Wake Forest gets BLANKED by Maryland.. wow.. One week after getting blanked themselves by UVa, Maryland comes back with a Vengence and unloads on Wake..

Duke puts up 24 points on Miami.. Still will lose.. 49-24.. niether team playing much defense in this game.. still a pretty good showing by Duke (compared to Duke teams of the past.. I know a 20+ point loss still hurts and isnt worth much)..

Clemson puts together a good game for thier new coach, but falls to GTech late in the 4th quarter.. Not a bad showing though.

Way to man up, Heels, and make a play. I mean, for real... you gave up less than 200 yards all day long, and then give up 82 and 25 on back to back possessions with 2 minutes left and OT. This one is TOTALLY on the coaching staff and the garbage alleged prevent defense late in the game. The same thing happened against Miami and Notre Dame - except they didn't make a play today.

I'm glad I broke my VCR over the Carolina/Virginia game in '96, because I would've smashed it today over this disgrace.