The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

After yesterday the ACC could be down to zero ranked teams unless GT and BC take up the reigns. Ah the fun of rooting for a league where each of its teams is just mediocre to good, but no one's good enough to seize control and run the table.

As for the Georgia Tech game yesterday, I'm not sure exactly what to think. They seem to have a knack for doing just enough to win, and thankfully Clemson was disorganized enough to turn the ball over frequently in the first half while Nesbitt got used to playing in games again. But if they are going to avoid another loss they have to do something about penalties, on offense especially. The option works but getting called for holding and illegal shifts on 3rd and short and turning them into 3rd and long just isn't a winning strategy.

Arrrgggghhhh... you gotta be kidding me... State answers Maryland punch for punch all game only to lose it on a FG with 6 seconds left...

Holy comeback Batman.. what a finish to the Texas/Texas Tech game... Down 22-6 at the half, Texas storms back to a 33-32 lead with a 1:29 left, only to have Tech march down the field (aiming for a FG) and score a touchdown with one second left... holy cow.

Alabama will most likely take over #1 in the country (although they had a cupcake game with a 35-0 win over a nobody)

USC also rolled over Washington, and will probably move up to #3 or #4... USC still has a chance to be in the title game.

Wooo GT beats FSU for the first time since 1975! And with the other losses there are now 8 teams with a shot at the ACC title game (only NC State, Duke, Clemson and BC are out of it). It will be an interesting 4 weeks to determine who goes to Tampa.

And what a finish to Texas vs Texas Tech.

Dear God, it's a miracle. ECU plays like absolute....well, you know....for most of the game. Still manages to get it to OT and win it. Absolutely unreal.

Yeah, I could not believe that. The only thing that saved ECU is that UCF's offense sucks more than theirs does.

Man, it's just so frustrating, though. All these years of watching ECU football where they had an awesome offense that could score at will but an at best okay, at other times non-existent, defense. Now there's a pretty good defense and the offense looks horrible out there.

I don't know what the hell is up with our QBs, but they need to find some kind of consistency. And Skip needs to have no qualms about pulling them from the game at the drop of a hat.

When Kass is 1/6, 2/9, 5/14 and all his passes are WAY over the heads of...well, frankly....anyone on the field, he needs to bring Pinkney in the next play. Yeah, Pinkney's not great either, but at least he's got the ability to escape when our crappy O-line collapses.

If we had a semi-consistent QB, and a kicker that can make it from 30+ consistently, then we'd be set.

Hey.. at least your not like us State fans.. the best news we had this week is that we didnt play, therefore we didnt lose!!

NC State is 2-6... We have to win our remaining 4 games just tp be bowl eligible, and its not like we would get picked. With games remaining against Wake Forest, UNC and Miami, this is an impossible task. In fact, I'm afraid we will need an A+ game to beat Duke this weekend. Of course blowouts to USC (34-0) and USF (41-10) hurt, but the heartbreaking thing, is at least two of those loses were close enough a little luck would have changed the outcome. The 38-31 loss to BC, where BC scored the winning TD with 22 seconds left in the game, and the 27-24 loss to Maryland where Maryland kicked the FG with 6 seconds left. Even if we only won those two games, where it seems like the team actually showed up, what a different team this would be at 4-4. You could at least HOPE that we could win 2 of the last 4. We were 5 and 7 last year.. we could be 6 and 6 this year, but of course we would have to win out and win four in a row.

We can probably beat Duke.. thier star QB is out... but the one thing Duke has done this year is score points.. even with only 4 wins, Duke has games where they lost 45-38 and scores like that. State's D has to step up or its an ugly game.

What a frustrating year this has been.. early season injuries cost us a few games, but thats no excuse for the last few. It shocks me the state of the team right now.. Amato always sucked at recruiting, but apparently his last year he didnt do any at all.. Obrien had a decent first year, but seniors left and graduated, Tank Tyler went to the NFL, and now what looked like a decent starting lineup for this year has a few injuries, and the bench is empty.. no one to replace them. I've begun to hear things for next year, like a good crop of WRs coming in to compliment Russel Wilson, so hopefully next year would be better.

I hope State can turn things around next year, but with 2 or 3 close losses.. you can see how if next years team only wins the close ones, we can quickly switch from 3-9 to 7-5. I dont care if we get blown out by FSU or Miami or VTech.. but if we can somehow pull out wins against teams we SHOULD beat.. like Duke, Virginia, UNC(although no way we beat them this year.. they are good) we can go bowling once again.

Lets hope we can beat Duke.... one game at a time...... *fingers crossed*

We can probably beat Duke.. thier star QB is out... but the one thing Duke has done this year is score points.. even with only 4 wins, Duke has games where they lost 45-38 and scores like that. State's D has to step up or its an ugly game.

Unless you've got some inside info, there is nothing in the N&O, I don't think Lewis is hurt. Duke's got injuries at running back but not a QB.

Unless you've got some inside info, there is nothing in the N&O, I don't think Lewis is hurt. Duke's got injuries at running back but not a QB.

I thought I heard something on the radio... but maybe that was from 2 or 3 games ago... I'm not optimistic about State's chances... if we have to play our A+ game to beat a team like Duke we will most likely lose.

Wow.. how bout Carolina playing sluggish for 3 periods and only leading 7-0 over Georgia Tech and then blowing up for 3 TDs in the 4th Quarter to lead GT 28-7... They were up 21-0 before GT scored, so its pretty much a blowout. I expected Carolina to win this game big.. but GTs defense played well, until the 4th quarter and then UNC lit them up 3 times, and GT offense can not move the ball at all... This ones pretty much over, Carolina improves to 7-2 and 3-2 in the conference.

The State/Duke game is about to start.. Coach Cutcliffe says he has a healthy respect for us and says we are a talented team, but I'm not sure he has a whole lot to worry about. :(

Yea go Auburn against Tenn-Martin!

lol. Sad, sad, sad season so far.

At least they won... They can stil become bowl eligible but.. well.. UGA and Bama.. not looking good. Although Bama right now is struggling against LSU, so at least thats a little bit of poetic justice. Gaeux Tigers! LOL

State has to win all 4 of thier remaining games to be bowl eligible, however this win over Duke will be a step in the right direction, but I seriously doubt we can beat UNC. How sad will it be to drop to 2-6, roar back, only to fall short at 5-7... At least its better then 0-13 *shrug*

*Eh... Bama is leading 21-14 now....

Whooohooo! State wins it and breaks a 6 game conference losing streak. Duke scored late but it didnt matter, State recovered the onside kick attempt and took a knee to seal it. 27-17.

Gotta go 3-0 in the next three to even be remotely bowl eligible and got games coming up against Wake, UNC and Miami... but at least the hope is still alive. At least we can get Wilson some confidence going into next year.

ECU with another win, taking a strong lead in the division. And this was with every single thing going against them. Twice, the refs took away touchdowns from the Pirates. One we had to settle on a FG, the other was because (despite 43,000 people seeing otherwise) somehow a punt bouncing off an opposing player's foot doesn't mean it's a live ball.

Still, an win's a win. Big thanks to the Marshall kicker, who apparently couldn't make a field goal to save his own life. And considering what this loss cost Marshall, his life might be what he put on the line.

Oh, there were TONS of calls that were made by the refs that were way off. I've seen some bad calls before, but today's game was the most horribly officiated game I have ever seen. The refs looked like they had it in to do everything they could to make ECU lose the game from the very start. (I watched the game at home on CSTV, so had replays and the commentary to go by as well, and they were scratching their heads at the calls being made and pointing out on the replays that they were bad calls.)

An ECU player shoves the Marshall QB lightly right as he steps out to keep him from making a first down. He doesn't fall down, wasn't shoved very hard. Personal foul against ECU. Later in the game, however, a Marshall player hits an ECU player hard into the ground well out of bounds. No call.

The first touchdown taken away, an easy run up the middle and in. No TD. They call some weird penalty that nobody has even heard of before, which the tv announcers figured must have been a chop block. The worst thing is that it looked to me like the block happened inside the end zone after the running back was already in. Even if they were going to call it the TD should have counted and the PAT should have been moved back 15 yards for a penalty after the play was dead. But no, no TD and ECU goes back from the 3 to the 18. Not to mention that the announcers replayed the penalty a few times and said it was a perfectly legal block to begin with, that it looked like a textbook play.

Second TD taken away was a punt that came down and bounced into the punt returner's foot, then picked up and run in by ECU. After review they said the ball didn't touch the player. To be fair, you never could see the ball deflect after hitting the player, which is the only thing the announcers could figure from the decision. But the thing is that he was moving his leg back trying to avoid being hit by the ball, so it wouldn't have deflected like that. Plus, the look on the returner's face right afterward showed that he absolutely knew it hit him. His reaction was to look up in the air in an "oh no, I screwed up!" motion after he sees that ECU got it and ran it in.

There were plenty of other blown calls, too. Not that ECU didn't deserve any. They deserved some of them. But to see the refs come up with penalties out of thin air against ECU constantly and hardly call anything against Marshall was a disgrace to Conference USA officials. Especially in a game so important to the conference standings.

It's simply amazing that ECU was able to come away with the win. It should have been a win, but a much bigger one compared to what the score ended up being.

Wow.. how bout Carolina playing sluggish for 3 periods and only leading 7-0 over Georgia Tech and then blowing up for 3 TDs in the 4th Quarter to lead GT 28-7... They were up 21-0 before GT scored, so its pretty much a blowout. I expected Carolina to win this game big.. but GTs defense played well, until the 4th quarter and then UNC lit them up 3 times, and GT offense can not move the ball at all... This ones pretty much over, Carolina improves to 7-2 and 3-2 in the conference.

The State/Duke game is about to start.. Coach Cutcliffe says he has a healthy respect for us and says we are a talented team, but I'm not sure he has a whole lot to worry about. :(

Tech gave that game to UNC, which is not to say that GT deserved to win that game. Mid third quarter they were driving for a score and taking over the game before picking up 25 yards in penalties that put them out of field gold range. Then they three and outed UNC but fumbled the punt return. UNC grabbed all the momentum and took over that game. The entire character of that game changed as soon as Roddy Jones dropped that ball. Paired with another fumble on the next possession it was just over. It went from what seemed like would be an inevitable GT grind out win, where UNC couldn't stop the offense once they got tired in the 2nd half, which they weren't before Tech shot themselves in the foot with those penalties, to a game where UNC had all the momentum.

I found it funny that the officiating was so bad, that even when we challenged the fumble, every single person there knew it was going to go Marshall's way. It was just that kind of night. No matter what happened, it would go against us. The blown calls, the penalty upon penalty, and the shanked punt that gave them the tying TD. Still, I guess I can't say that too much. We did win the toss in OT, and like I said, somehow the Marshall kicker misses easy chip shots.

Hartman is an enigma to me. He can make it from the 20's. He can make it from the 30's. He (apparently) can make it from the 50's (biggest surprise last night). But put that ball anywhere in the 40 range and he'll miss it everytime.

And I'm a little annoyed at Holtz. He just didn't have the urgency in this game. There were multiple times we could have gone for the jugular and put the game well out of reach, but instead he goes for the FG. Sometimes, that's a good idea. When it's 4th and 1 on the 3? Not a good idea. Still, considering how pathetic our running game looked out there, I guess it's not too bad.

Tech gave that game to UNC, which is not to say that GT deserved to win that game. Mid third quarter they were driving for a score and taking over the game before picking up 25 yards in penalties that put them out of field gold range. Then they three and outed UNC but fumbled the punt return. UNC grabbed all the momentum and took over that game. The entire character of that game changed as soon as Roddy Jones dropped that ball. Paired with another fumble on the next possession it was just over. It went from what seemed like would be an inevitable GT grind out win, where UNC couldn't stop the offense once they got tired in the 2nd half, which they weren't before Tech shot themselves in the foot with those penalties, to a game where UNC had all the momentum.

Oh yeah absolutley.. that drive killed them bad.... But still, they didnt score until after those two drives when UNC made it 21-0... The GT D played great in the first half but the offense couldnt do anything... After that first and 31 blowup you could see GT just crumble.

How bout those Nittnay Lions? And then their were two.... Alabama and Texas Tech #1 and #2.. I think the only other undefeated is Boise State coming out of the WAC, which of course will never get any respect. Judging from how they have played the last two weeks, I would say if Bama and TTech were in the title game, the Red Raiders would plaster Bama. Bama was lucky to get by LSU.. I would be poetic justice if even as bad as Auburn has been this year if Auburn beats Bama in 2 weeks.

I found it funny that the officiating was so bad, that even when we challenged the fumble, every single person there knew it was going to go Marshall's way. It was just that kind of night. No matter what happened, it would go against us. The blown calls, the penalty upon penalty, and the shanked punt that gave them the tying TD. Still, I guess I can't say that too much. We did win the toss in OT, and like I said, somehow the Marshall kicker misses easy chip shots.

Hartman is an enigma to me. He can make it from the 20's. He can make it from the 30's. He (apparently) can make it from the 50's (biggest surprise last night). But put that ball anywhere in the 40 range and he'll miss it everytime.

And I'm a little annoyed at Holtz. He just didn't have the urgency in this game. There were multiple times we could have gone for the jugular and put the game well out of reach, but instead he goes for the FG. Sometimes, that's a good idea. When it's 4th and 1 on the 3? Not a good idea. Still, considering how pathetic our running game looked out there, I guess it's not too bad.

Well, the fumble was a fumble. So they actually got that one right. It's just too bad ECU didn't get a quick whistle as he was stacked up for a decent amount of time and the ball didn't come out until right before he hit the ground. Knew that Holtz wasted a TO and his red flag on that, with what only became more frustrating and pulled the momentum down even further.

I felt that about the 4th and 1 foot for ECU late in the game. The way they were running the ball they should have just gone for it and put the killer blow on Marshall.

Can say that I was pleased with Pinkney after he got a rhythm going, too. He looked horrible to start and I couldn't believe they wouldn't put Kass in, but later in the game he came alive. If only he could play like that consistently. ECU would still be a BCS Buster if he could.

I'm glad they passed on Kass. After the UCF game, I'll be happy if he never steps foot onto that field again. He needs to learn that every pass doesn't need to be a bullet. Until he gets that through his head, I don't want him out there.

Like you said, Pinkney's not the best out there, but when he's on, he's a capable QB. His ability to run the ball still gives him the edge over Kass in the first place, though our O-line has really taken that option away anyway.

How bout that wolfpack? 4 games needed to win and took care of the first two! Normally I wouldnt be that excited about beating Duke or Wake Forest but you can honestly say this year both of those teams were better then us. I can't wait for the UNC game next week, even though we will probably lose and lose our even tiny chance of making a bowl it should be a good game.

Of note, my Troy Trojans tonight have performed one of the greatest acts of kindness in football history by gift wrapping this game against LSU after leading 31-3 with 10:00 left in the 3rd quarter. This has been the most disgusting, pathetic, and completely heartless showing by a team I've ever seen in my life. They saw the scoreboard, realized where they were at and who they were playing, and then rolled over like a friggin dog. I am absolutely embarrassed.