The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

And what delusion are they feeding you over there at State? Since when does an OT game constitute a "beatdown"? State's season is a failure, no matter how you dress it up. When you're hoping to scrape .500, it's a failure.

ECU's expectations from the very beginning were to make the Conference Championship. No one had any real thoughts about a national championship. Anyone that did obviously has no clue how college football works. And what'dya know? With the win last night, ECU accomplished their goal.

State's season is not a failure; you know better than to talk stupid like that Frog. Coming in to this season the expectations were NOTHING, and yet the team actually has themselves in bowl position. Also, the way they have played in the second half shows a lot of promise to the future; the season didn't start out well but the team has really finished strong. No way can you call that a failure.

But for ECU on the other hand, the way they've collapsed and limped through their second half, well...

I'll stop just short of calling it a failure.

Don't even try and compare State's injuries to ECU's.

The injury list for yesterday's game:

OUT

Again, wouldn't exactly call it a collapse. The game before State, we lost Quentin Cotton for the season. I'm not sure if State has a player like this, but there was nothing Cotton couldn't do. He was the crux of the ECU defense. You lose a player like him, it's going to take a while to recover. To put it in simple terms: He only played the first half of the Tulane game before he was injured. In that first half, he had a blocked field goal for a touchdown, a sack and an interception. Named Player of the Game after only playing the first half.

As I stated before, ECU's been hit with a Canes-like injury streak. We had 20 players out to injury in the last game, most of them regular starters. Yeah, we're limping along, but it's pretty much all you can do after being hit like we have. All that matters is, we're winning games despite those injuries.

And again, no matter how you dress it, if your team is hoping to get a .500 record, that's a failure of a season. Expectations are only the public's opinion. What matters is the play on the field.

And again, no matter how you dress it, if your team is hoping to get a .500 record, that's a failure of a season. Expectations are only the public's opinion. What matters is the play on the field.

And with the way we've been playing in the second half, our season is not a failure. Quite the success actually.

And with the way we've been playing in the second half, our season is not a failure. Quite the success actually.

Well if we're only going to count half the season, let's count ECU's first half. :rolleyes:

Well if we're only going to count half the season, let's count ECU's first half. :rolleyes:

You only count the parts you can remember, and no one remembers the opening weeks of the season. ;)

But seriously, I'm not the one questioning any team's success or failure here, you are. No one has said anything about ECU not having success this year; I was only responding to your ridiculous claims of having to be at .500 in order to call a season "successful".

Lets see pal - State whupped EZU - Duke - Wake - Tar Heels - I'd say that makes us state champs - what do u think?

Hardly a failure for me - might even make it to a bowl :lol:

I'd say the teams that actually make it to the bowl games are the ones with success. Don't get me wrong, being the State champs is important, but until they make that an official thing (Please?), the bowl games are the important ones.

Does making a bowl really mean you had a "successful season?" With their explosion in number they aren't what they used to be. Some of these bowls are going to be low end 6-6 BCS schools vs mid level mid-major conference teams. Sure its more football but is going to Boise in December really an indicator of a successful season?

But since success is relative to expectations, for some teams just making a bowl, no matter how crummy it is, is enough, but for others just going to a bowl doesn't cut it. Just ask a Wisconsin fan if they had a successful season.

Does making a bowl really mean you had a "successful season?" With their explosion in number they aren't what they used to be. Some of these bowls are going to be low end 6-6 BCS schools vs mid level mid-major conference teams. Sure its more football but is going to Boise in December really an indicator of a successful season?

But since success is relative to expectations, for some teams just making a bowl, no matter how crummy it is, is enough, but for others just going to a bowl doesn't cut it. Just ask a Wisconsin fan if they had a successful season.

When you have the injuries we had, the utter lack of talent and a program in shambles, and start the season 1-4, and you win 4 games in a row and 5 of the last 7 to finish 6-6 (if we win tommorrow) and that includes 4 wins against all 4 instate rivals? Yeah.. I would call that a success... is it a BCS championship? No.. and i wouldnt compare it to that...

According to the way they hire and fire coachs around here... going 1-12 is a successful season as long as that one win is against UNC. Mike O'cain couldnt do it, Amato beat them twice and then lost 3 in a row, O'brien is 2-0. I understand state rivals, but the AD's around here put WAY to much emphasis on that one game.. but oh well.. not much we can do about it.

I'd say when O'Brian is playing with a lot of Amato's duds then yes making a bowl is a successful season in State's eyes. I'm sure 3 seasons from now just getting to a bowl will not be cutting it at that point.

It will be interesting to see how much improvement we see next year in all 3 triangle schools.

Lets see pal - State whupped EZU - Duke - Wake - Tar Heels - I'd say that makes us state champs - what do u think?

Hardly a failure for me - might even make it to a bowl :lol:

I really can not disagree with you there...beating all 4 big time programs in the state does constitute being some what a state champion. As I am sure that O'Brian will surely point out to any recruit!

ECU dismantles UTEP today, 50...something to 21.

Apparently, we were just saving our offense for the last game. If we keep up that pace next week, we may actually have a chance to win next week. Not likely, but a chance.

So how about them Mountaineers huh? Or quest for 4 starts today against SCSU.

That is great what App is doing, I really hope they win 4 in a row.

Another great dynasty in college football is Division III Mount Union in Alliance, OH. They've been to the Div III Championship (Stagg Bowl) 10 out the last 12 years and won it 8 times.

So far this year in the first 2 rounds they've won 52-0 last weekend and 42-7 today.

Well, Tulsa beat Marshall today, so the C-USA game will be Tulsa v. ECU

Expect a complete domination from Tulsa. But then again, Marshall only lost by 3, so there's always a chance.

With 2:31 left in the fourth, USC leads Notre Dame 38-3. If the Trojans beat UCLA -- their cross-town rivals -- in their annual Gauntlet Game next week, they'll be in the Rose Bowl with JoPa's Nittany Lions. Fight on, USC! :)

Jan/GSBG

Wooo Apps win it. SCSU had some problems with their arms I think, everytime they miss a catch their arms start flailing like they were throwing something in the air{they were trying to get a flag}. I got worried at some points but glad they got the win. It should be coasting for App now, all the students will be coming back and the stands will be filled to the brim. Also we are playing the same team we beat in the semi final last year, and this is how it went

the best part about the SCSU game was that there were 30 seconds left in the game app had posession and it seemed like SCSU was gonna just let time run out but they call 2 timeouts and then app scored a touchdown.

All in all a good weekend for the ACC out of conference, with the exception of the whoopin UF put on FSU. And I'm thrilled that the loosing streak to UGA is finally over. It will be interesting to see how the bowl assignments play out now that the ACC has 10 eligible teams. Hopefully NC State won't be left out, since after all they've looked like one of the best teams in the conference for the last few weeks. But unfortunately, we are stuck with another bad championship game, VT vs BC, that threatens to have absolutely zero offense and zero fans at the game.

All in all a good weekend for the ACC out of conference, with the exception of the whoopin UF put on FSU. And I'm thrilled that the loosing streak to UGA is finally over. It will be interesting to see how the bowl assignments play out now that the ACC has 10 eligible teams. Hopefully NC State won't be left out, since after all they've looked like one of the best teams in the conference for the last few weeks. But unfortunately, we are stuck with another bad championship game, VT vs BC, that threatens to have absolutely zero offense and zero fans at the game.

I think nearly every year since the "expansion" the championship game has involved at least 1 if not 2 of the new teams. I think this is not the first matchup between VT and BC. I dont really care for the new format, and I think it meant a lot more when FSU/Miami and Va/VaTech were non conference games and that was a big matchup and regardless of the winner both teams could still go undefeated in thier conferences. FSU and Miami used to meet on the last game of the season and many times would meet with both teams undefeated, now they meet the first game of the season to get the loss out of the way early to still look good for the BCS, I dont know why we needed to expand.. the championship game doesnt mean anything.. we already had a BCS bid for the regular season champ, i doubt an ACC team will challange for a national championship anytime soon, so the orange bowl bid is as good as it gets...

I was surprised on thursday to see State included in a bowl prediction page (i forget which bowl) but he had us at 6-6 and was assuming I guess that we would beat miami. Even with the 3 game winning streak we had going, I'm pleasantly surprised we were able to beat miami.. i expected that one to be really tough. State should make a bowl.. The article I just read said that the ACC had 9 bowl affiliations, and so with 10 teams eligible, i'm sure someone somwhere will need a spot filled by another conference with 7 affliations and only 5 eligible teams or something of that nature.. it will be a small bowl, and i'm sure we'll have to travel far away (Boise, Hawaii, California) but we could get lucky with the Tire bowl in Charlotte, but getting back to a bowl is an important step. We should finish with a few more wins next year.