The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

I think nearly every year since the "expansion" the championship game has involved at least 1 if not 2 of the new teams. I think this is not the first matchup between VT and BC. I dont really care for the new format, and I think it meant a lot more when FSU/Miami and Va/VaTech were non conference games and that was a big matchup and regardless of the winner both teams could still go undefeated in thier conferences. FSU and Miami used to meet on the last game of the season and many times would meet with both teams undefeated, now they meet the first game of the season to get the loss out of the way early to still look good for the BCS, I dont know why we needed to expand.. the championship game doesnt mean anything.. we already had a BCS bid for the regular season champ, i doubt an ACC team will challange for a national championship anytime soon, so the orange bowl bid is as good as it gets...

I was surprised on thursday to see State included in a bowl prediction page (i forget which bowl) but he had us at 6-6 and was assuming I guess that we would beat miami. Even with the 3 game winning streak we had going, I'm pleasantly surprised we were able to beat miami.. i expected that one to be really tough. State should make a bowl.. The article I just read said that the ACC had 9 bowl affiliations, and so with 10 teams eligible, i'm sure someone somwhere will need a spot filled by another conference with 7 affliations and only 5 eligible teams or something of that nature.. it will be a small bowl, and i'm sure we'll have to travel far away (Boise, Hawaii, California) but we could get lucky with the Tire bowl in Charlotte, but getting back to a bowl is an important step. We should finish with a few more wins next year.

A few quick hits:

BC vs VT is a repeat of last years title game, which was widely ridiculed because the stadium was about 1/3rd full.

The game two years ago featured two non expansion teams, unless you count the 70's or 80's additions of GT and FSU, when GT played Wake Forest in a game that had zero touchdowns and was super ugly. (Though there were more fans there in the rain than there were at last years game.)

And as far as conference games vs non conference games for rivalries I've never thought it matter much. But FSU and Miami have always played earlier in the season, as far as I can remember, and FSU always finishes with Florida, not Miami.

The ACC needs the championship game for exposure, the problem is that the exposure has yet to be any good because there haven't been elite pairings like the SEC gets every year. Until the conference develops a real top ten team, and preferably another top team to challenge it in the other division, it will continue to be an also ran.

State is going to have to get an at large bid from a bowl who's automatic tie ins were not satisfied because of the ACC rules. (NC State has 6 wins and any team with 7 must be selected first. The 9 slots will likely go to the 9 teams who have 7 wins, unless the conference bends its rules for some reason.)

Maybe there's something wrong with my head, but I'm happy that USC, the NCAA football team for whom I cheer loudest, is poised to be in the Rose Bowl -- pending a likely win over UCLA next weekend -- where they'll meet JoPa's Lions. Sportswriters for the Los Angeles Times keep telling me, however, that I should be disappointed that the Trojans, ranked fifth in the BCS earlier today, are destined "only" for the Rose Bowl, as if that's a punishment in itself.

To quote John Travolta's Vinny Barbarino character from Welcome Back, Kotter: "I'm so confused!" :o

Jan/GSBG

State is going to have to get an at large bid from a bowl who's automatic tie ins were not satisfied because of the ACC rules. (NC State has 6 wins and any team with 7 must be selected first. The 9 slots will likely go to the 9 teams who have 7 wins, unless the conference bends its rules for some reason.)

Thats exactly what I said...

However its actually up to the Bowl to invite who they want to invite from the conference.. Its not like we have a ridiculous good standout team. Theres 4 teams at 5-3 in the conference and 6 that are 4-4 in conference and those are our 10 eligible teams. GTech and BC are the only two with 9 wins overall and BC will most likely be the BCS team. I dont know what all our automatic bids are, but I know we have the BCS bowl (orange?), the Chick-fil-a bowl, the Mieneke bowl, the Liberty bowl, the Humanitarian Bowl? maybe.. i dont know. State has played in the Charlotte bowl several times and might get invited back there again.

Obviously it will mostly go in the conference order, but occasionally it gets shuffled, like a 6-6 GTech team might get picked for the Chickfila bowl over a 7-4 UNC team because Gtech is local and will pack the stadium.. etc... but its usually not but 1 win that gets jumped (7 over 8, 6 over 7 etc).

Thats exactly what I said...

However its actually up to the Bowl to invite who they want to invite from the conference.. Its not like we have a ridiculous good standout team. Theres 4 teams at 5-3 in the conference and 6 that are 4-4 in conference and those are our 10 eligible teams. GTech and BC are the only two with 9 wins overall and BC will most likely be the BCS team. I dont know what all our automatic bids are, but I know we have the BCS bowl (orange?), the Chick-fil-a bowl, the Mieneke bowl, the Liberty bowl, the Humanitarian Bowl? maybe.. i dont know. State has played in the Charlotte bowl several times and might get invited back there again.

Obviously it will mostly go in the conference order, but occasionally it gets shuffled, like a 6-6 GTech team might get picked for the Chickfila bowl over a 7-4 UNC team because Gtech is local and will pack the stadium.. etc... but its usually not but 1 win that gets jumped (7 over 8, 6 over 7 etc).

The ACC bowl order is roughly:

Orange Bowl (Automatic BCS Tie in)

Peach Bowl

Gator Bowl

Champs Sports

Music City

Tire Bowl (Charlotte)

Emerald Bowl (San Fran)

Humanitarian (Boise)

New bowl in Washington, DC

After the gator bowl they are roughly equivalent and I forget what order they pick in until the last three. But someone will get jumped because all the teams don't travel the same. If BC looses next weekend expect them to plummet because they don't travel well.

Here's the current prediction from CBS Sportsline... now that the season is over (minus conference championships) this should be pretty spot on since they know who is ACC#4, #6 etc... here's what they have listed.

Orange Bowl : BC vs Cincy (ACC Champ vs Other BCS or Big East Champ) (Miami)

Gator : FSU vs Nebraska (ACC #3 vs Big East/Big 12) (Jax FL)

Chick-Fil-A: GTech vs LSU (ACC #2 vs SEC) - Two local teams, big draw i would expect. (Atlanta)

Music City: UNC vs Kentucky (SEC #6/7 vs ACC #5/6/7) - Somewhat local for those two (Nashville TN)

Humanitarian: Boise State vs Miami (Wac vs ACC #8) Poor Boise State always plays in this one... (Boise)

Emerald: Clemson vs California (ACC #5/6/7 vs Pac-10 #5) (SF California)

Champ Sports: Va Tech vs Wisconsin (ACC #4 vs Big Ten #4/5) (Orlando)

Meineke Bowl: Maryland vs West Virgina (ACC #5/6/7 vs Big East #3) (Charlotte)

Motor City: Ball State vs NC State (usually MAC vs Big Ten #7) I guess the Big Ten doesnt have enough teams and this is where State sneaks in. (Detroit)

EagleBank: Navy vs Wake Forest (Navy vs ACC #9) (Wash DC)

Not a bad round up.. I would assume the Meineke, Emerald and Music City could change since all three have the choice of ACC #'s 5, 6 or 7.. so it depends on who invites first and who accepts what invite.

Here's the current prediction from CBS Sportsline... now that the season is over (minus conference championships) this should be pretty spot on since they know who is ACC#4, #6 etc... here's what they have listed.

Orange Bowl : BC vs Cincy (ACC Champ vs Other BCS or Big East Champ) (Miami)

Gator : FSU vs Nebraska (ACC #3 vs Big East/Big 12) (Jax FL)

Chick-Fil-A: GTech vs LSU (ACC #2 vs SEC) - Two local teams, big draw i would expect. (Atlanta)

Music City: UNC vs Kentucky (SEC #6/7 vs ACC #5/6/7) - Somewhat local for those two (Nashville TN)

Humanitarian: Boise State vs Miami (Wac vs ACC #8) Poor Boise State always plays in this one... (Boise)

Emerald: Clemson vs California (ACC #5/6/7 vs Pac-10 #5) (SF California)

Champ Sports: Va Tech vs Wisconsin (ACC #4 vs Big Ten #4/5) (Orlando)

Meineke Bowl: Maryland vs West Virgina (ACC #5/6/7 vs Big East #3) (Charlotte)

Motor City: Ball State vs NC State (usually MAC vs Big Ten #7) I guess the Big Ten doesnt have enough teams and this is where State sneaks in. (Detroit)

EagleBank: Navy vs Wake Forest (Navy vs ACC #9) (Wash DC)

Not a bad round up.. I would assume the Meineke, Emerald and Music City could change since all three have the choice of ACC #'s 5, 6 or 7.. so it depends on who invites first and who accepts what invite.

Those projections have at least one flaw, Navy can not play Wake Forest. There is a stipulation in Navy's contract with that bowl that it can't be a rematch, and they've already played Wake this year.

Someone in the comments mentioned that as well... since thats a low bid (ACC #9) I wonder if perhaps State might play in that bowl? Another choice would be #8 Miami I guess. I doubt they would be able to choose anyone higher then that. That could be a case where State leapfrogs Wake and Wake grabs the at large bid.

Of course if VTech wins the Championship that will change the BCS bid. I dont know why they have VTech as ACC #4.. I understand GTech has a better record (9 wins), but VTech should be at least #3... and if they are the loser of the Champ Game does that make them #2 or will it still be based on records?

I didnt realize until I read the comments that Ball State was undefeated and some people were hoping for a Boise State/Ball State match up for a bowl game and thought Miami and NC State were horrible opponents to be stuck with. Someone also said Boise State would only play at home? I guess thats why they always seem to play in the Humanitarian bowl if they dont make it BCS... In that case they have to play someone from the ACC. I understand what thier points were, but at the same time you would think 6-6 from a BCS conference would be a good match up with an undefeated minor conference team (MAC).. State's on a roll right now and I think they have a decent chance to beat whoever they meet in a bowl. Not to say it will be a blowout, but they have a decent chance.

Someone in the comments mentioned that as well... since thats a low bid (ACC #9) I wonder if perhaps State might play in that bowl? Another choice would be #8 Miami I guess. I doubt they would be able to choose anyone higher then that. That could be a case where State leapfrogs Wake and Wake grabs the at large bid.

Of course if VTech wins the Championship that will change the BCS bid. I dont know why they have VTech as ACC #4.. I understand GTech has a better record (9 wins), but VTech should be at least #3... and if they are the loser of the Champ Game does that make them #2 or will it still be based on records?

I didnt realize until I read the comments that Ball State was undefeated and some people were hoping for a Boise State/Ball State match up for a bowl game and thought Miami and NC State were horrible opponents to be stuck with. Someone also said Boise State would only play at home? I guess thats why they always seem to play in the Humanitarian bowl if they dont make it BCS... In that case they have to play someone from the ACC. I understand what thier points were, but at the same time you would think 6-6 from a BCS conference would be a good match up with an undefeated minor conference team (MAC).. State's on a roll right now and I think they have a decent chance to beat whoever they meet in a bowl. Not to say it will be a blowout, but they have a decent chance.

The numbers refer to picking order not finishing spot. The Chick-Fil-A bowl just picks first after the Orange Bowl, and it looks like they are going to opt for the hometown team, GT, this year. And VT will probably fall to the Champs sports because the Gator wants Clemson and their fans.

I don't get the alure of the Boise State vs Ball State game. It won't get either of them the publicity they want because though they are both highly ranked they don't have the wins vs BCS competition to validate their seasons yet. I'm not saying they played as weak of a schedule as Hawaii last year but they both left question marks with their resume's. Personally I'd rather see them play in two different bigger games other than the Humanitarian and Motor city or play each other. But if they stay in the games they are slotted in there fans are going to complain because they feel they deserve a shot at a bigger game. That's why they would be unhappy with NC State and Miami, its nothing against them but they want to be playing against Oklahoma, etc.

So far GaTech did in fact land the ChickFilA bowl and Clemson landed the Gator.. how they got the Gator bowl at 7-5 is unknown to me.. didnt that used to be a big marquee bowl? VTech UNC and FSU had better records, so I guess thats a pretty big jump for them (of course VTEch has a shot at the BCS bid, so they wouldnt accept anyway)..

Interstingly the article also said Ball State declined the invite to play Boise in the Humanitarian, stating they didnt want to play a bowl that far away from thier campus and on the opponents home field... I guess Detroit is not too far away if they are predicted for the Motor City bowl. Its pretty silly for a team to refuse a bowl game but theres enough to go around nowadays.. 12-0 vs 12-0 would be nice, but like you said, it does come down to strength of schedule.. i'm sure Ball would get humiliated by Boise State.

Because of the stipulation with Navy/Wake and the EagleBank bowl, I think theres is a very good chance State will play in that bowl instead of Wake.. that would be good for State and the Bowl, since DC is not as far as Detroit and State fans do travel well. I wouldnt be opposed to State playing in a brand new/lower tier bowl.. at this point a bowl is a bowl. 7-4 Navy and 6-6 Wake should be a good matchup, and State would have a chance to win.

ECU pulls off the upset! 27-24! C-USA Champs!

Granted, it was largely because of Tulsa's 7 turnovers, including 5 interceptions. But a victory's a victory! Huzzah!

Congrats ECU on the Championship and Liberty Bowl bid..

What a crappy ACC Champ game.. you called it Imafirehazard... the stadium was EMPTY... shouldnt hurt VaTech any since they are going to the BCS, but i think you may call it as well that BC will get jumped a few since thier fans obviously dont travel. Boring game.. i watched a little bit of it but I didnt really care.

Now if Florida can just beat Bama to knock them out of the championship game. LOL...

With Florida #4 in the BCS.. if they dont jump over anyone, it will be a Texas/Oklahoma BSC Title game.. now that would be a thriller. Bama I'm sure will stay in the BCS, probably pick up the Sugar bowl bid. CBS has the current prediction of Florida/OU in the title game. Texas vs OSU in the Fiesta Bowl.. are they serious? Ohio State will get creamed.. AGAIN..

They also changed the prediction for the EagleBank bowl to Navy vs NC State which is pretty much what I figured. Wake gets bumped up to the Motor City vs Ball State.

Clemson vs Nebraska is a lock for the Gator bowl, so far no other bowls have 2 teams commited, but VTech, GaTech and ECU also have accepted bids.

Some interesting shakeups in the bowl scheduling. Ball State rockets up to the GMAC bowl against Big East runner up Tulsa (Did Tulsa get a better bowl then ECU??) I guess they got what they wanted for being undefeated, one day short of a BCS bowl as opposed to the Motor City vs NC State.

NC State gets picked for the Papa Johns Bowl in Birmingham Ala against Rutgers. Thats a long way to travel for Rutgers, hopefully a Wolfpack heavy crowd. 6-6 State vs 7-5 Rutgers.. should be a good matchup.. Rutgers lost to UNC, Nearly a mirror of States schedule, started out 1-5 and then won 6 in a row... two teams on hot streaks, should be a great game! Plus its something to watch on the 29th.

UNC gets pick for the Tire Bowl in Charlotte against West Virginia... WVa has played in the Tire bowl before, and its not that far, so should be a 50/50 crowd, maybe a little Tarheel heavy, but the Mountineers travel.

Wake gets picked to play Navy in the EagleBank bowl, despite being a repeat of a regular season matchup.. interesting.

Miami gets the Emerald bowl vs Cal, BC gets Vandy in the Music City Bowl (probably a disappointment), Clemson gets Nebraska in the Gator, GTech gets LSU in the Chick-fil-a, Maryland gets Nevada in the Humanitarian (Boise gets shipped off to San Diego for the Poinsetta, didnt get the home bowl they wanted), Florida State gets Wisconsin in the Champ Sports...

All 10 bowl eligible teams for the ACC are selected and 10 out of 12 teams total were eligible. Way to go ACC!!!! (Probably means we have way too many bowls.. LOL)

You guys know Ball State lost the MAC championship game to Buffalo, so they are 12-1?

NC State definitely gets the better end of falling out of the automatic slots by going to the papajohns bowl instead of Boise or the eagle bank bowl.

I'm excited to see GT play another SEC team that they can embarrass by running up 400+ rushing yards on their "superior" defenses. LSU fell pretty far from being national champion.

And Auburn hires... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3767115' target="_blank">Gene Chizik?[/post]

I am absolutely amazed, they force out Tubberville to hire a guy who has lost 10 straight games? As a Georgia Tech fan it amuses me, but I can't imagine there are many Auburn fans happy with this move.

Understatement of the year. I don't like to hate on my teams...but I'm pretty sure that the Auburn football program has screwed themselves over with everything they've done these last few weeks. Prepare for Saban dominance.

Is anyone going to play defense in the Mieneke bowl?? 5 possessions, 5 TDs and its 21-14 WVU over UNC. I wouldnt at all be surprised is UNC comes back and throws another 75 yard TD to Nicks since they cant stop him. This game will end up 77-70 last team with the ball wins. Insane start.. this can't keep up can it?

*What an odd turn of events.. Carolina has the ball on the 2 yard line with about 5 seconds left in the 1st, they run in the stand up easy TD, but the refs call it off saying time expired (i thought they had it snapped in time)... switch sides of the field.. Carolina has 4 shots to get it in but WVU knows what to expect and stop all 4 tries.. they take over on the 1 yard line, but get caught in the endzone, Carolina gets a safety (21-16), then after the free kick Carolina scores a TD and and leads 23-21... Weird. Should probably be 21-21, but at least Carolina got back the TD the refs stole from them and a extra 2 on defense for thier trouble.

Ouch.. the Draugn fumble costs them the game.. Carolina loses 31-30...

In the weirdest story since the Chizik hiring, BC is going to fire Jagodzinski for interviewing with the Jets (per Boston Globe). Seems like their AD is a bit high strung since O'Brien left for NC State. Seems like he thinks BC is the best job you could get.