The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

Well, ECU doesn't get the host the conference championship, since UCF did manage to beat UTEP today.

But we're still going bowling, for the second year in a row.

WHOO, Go Pirates!! :D GREAT game today against Tulane. I wasn't too optimistic on the turnout with everyone being on break, but it was actually pretty good. If you UCF had lost we could have been in the championship game, but I believe that this win for us will get us to a bowl, which is pretty cool! Yay ECU!

Another Sooner fan!!!! I lived in Tulsa for 7 years. :)

cool deal caniac! I live in Owasso, just north of Tulsa. The Sooners are beating Ok. State 42-17 with 9 minutes left in the game. Too bad we lost to Texas Tech last week, we'd be a contender for the championship.

What a UNC upset! During that 1st Duke field goal, the Duke players started taking their helmets off and running for the bell! They had to be pulled back onto the field. I can't believe the 2nd field goal was even WIDER to the left. But as the papers said, UNC won by a "Little"!!! :lol:

Way to go Greg Little and way to go UNC! GO HEELS GO!!!

What a UNC upset! During that 1st Duke field goal, the Duke players started taking their helmets off and running for the bell! They had to be pulled back onto the field. I can't believe the 2nd field goal was even WIDER to the left. But as the papers said, UNC won by a "Little"!!! :lol:

Yeah, big accomplishment beating Duke :rolleyes:

Well, ECU doesn't get the host the conference championship, since UCF did manage to beat UTEP today.

But we're still going bowling, for the second year in a row.

Yeah, it's nice to see them slowly getting back to the form they were in back in the 90's again. Those were a few painful years to be an ECU fan, but we've got a program to be proud of again. With the schedule they had this year it's amazing they've done as well as they have.

I smell a conference championship in the not too distant future, too, the way they're going.

Yeah, it's nice to see them slowly getting back to the form they were in back in the 90's again. Those were a few painful years to be an ECU fan, but we've got a program to be proud of again. With the schedule they had this year it's amazing they've done as well as they have.

I smell a conference championship in the not too distant future, too, the way they're going.

One would hope so, but let's look at this. Last year, we lost our star QB and WR. This year, we're going to lose our star RB. Eventually, we are going to have to have a rebuilding stage.

And I'm still not set on the whole Kass/Pinkney rotation. Kass either needs to learn how to run the ball, or Pinkney needs to learn how to throw it deep. Personally, I'm hoping for Pinkney.

Chan Gailey is out at Georgia Tech...wahoo, no more Chan Gailey equilibrium... Christmas comes early for me!

Oh and Roof got fired at Duke, but that seemed pretty much a forgone conclusion.

One would hope so, but let's look at this. Last year, we lost our star QB and WR. This year, we're going to lose our star RB. Eventually, we are going to have to have a rebuilding stage.

And I'm still not set on the whole Kass/Pinkney rotation. Kass either needs to learn how to run the ball, or Pinkney needs to learn how to throw it deep. Personally, I'm hoping for Pinkney.

True, but that's a constant with college football. You could say ECU has been in the rebuilding stage the past six or so years, too. lol

Holtz has been bringing in some really good recruits, and I think we're just starting to see the results of that. Next year it should be even more evident.

We haven't quite seen the high caliber QB we've been used to at ECU for quite some time. Blake, Crandell, Gonzalez, the last one really being Gerrard. We went through some really good ones when the program was doing well, and even for all the buzz the QB situation hasn't been as good as it's been made out to be for some time. Patrick Pinkney did well so long as the play went as designed, but as soon as he had to think on his feet he'd throw the game away. Kass and Pinkney each have their good points, but like you said they've got some really bad minuses that limit their games. So I'm hoping even more that they can pull in a huge prospect there.

As for RB, we've lost some there over the years that we supposedly wouldn't recover from, yet someone else always steps up. We've got some depth at that position, it's just they've been hidden from playing so much. So I'm not worried about that at all. The only thing I see a need for is a big FB to run up the middle. All the ECU RB seem to be smaller lately.

It's really helping that the lines are improving, too. It used to be that ECU would have guys with lots of talent but were very small. Then they started bringing in some bigger guys, but they couldn't move. Now they've getting big guys that can move.

what an accomplishment

I havent followed ECU football much until this year. I only went to 1 game last year, and before that I wasnt here. I remember watching Pickney #1 last year and Aundre Allison reel many a long pass in. This year, wow, watching Chris Johnson has been amazing, and I hate he wont be here next year. The reason the depth at RB has been pretty much yet to be seen is because he has stayed healthy and has dominated the position for us. Next year I am looking forward to seeing some younger guys step up. Does anyone know if Johnson was drafted, or if he is eligible still? Can see him on a team as a 2nd or 2rd stringer in the next few years.

As far as defense....Cotton reminds me alot of Peppers in some ways. Obviously not the same position, but I like him, and he is dominant, but there are def some big guys who give out some big hits on that line too. Van Eskrige, Marcus Hands, Linval Joseph, Zach Slate, or CJ. Wilson anyone?

I havent followed ECU football much until this year. I only went to 1 game last year, and before that I wasnt here. I remember watching Pickney #1 last year and Aundre Allison reel many a long pass in. This year, wow, watching Chris Johnson has been amazing, and I hate he wont be here next year. The reason the depth at RB has been pretty much yet to be seen is because he has stayed healthy and has dominated the position for us. Next year I am looking forward to seeing some younger guys step up. Does anyone know if Johnson was drafted, or if he is eligible still? Can see him on a team as a 2nd or 2rd stringer in the next few years.

As far as defense....Cotton reminds me alot of Peppers in some ways. Obviously not the same position, but I like him, and he is dominant, but there are def some big guys who give out some big hits on that line too. Van Eskrige, Marcus Hands, Linval Joseph, Zach Slate, or CJ. Wilson anyone?

Johnson is in his last year of elgibility, so he's going to get drafted this spring. He's really pushed his stock up with his play this year, too. Man, I remember watching him in his first game when he was a freshman and thinking "Holy crap! This guy can run!" It will be very interesting to see where he goes in the draft, as he's a guy with skill that should be able to play in the NFL, but he hasn't received the media attention that a lot of players of his caliber do.

As for D, ECU has had a lot of good players there in years past, too. Cotton is the latest in some really good impact D players that also have provided a lot of leadership. Mainly some big linebackers like Cotton. Unfortunately most had the skill but didn't go on to the NFL because they also were smaller, though some did. Since I really don't follow the NFL anymore I'm not sure if any are still around at all.

Just because duke was bad doesn't mean it isn't a great accomplishment to win. Jeez... you guys must be state or duke fans... :P

Beating a bad terrible team is not an accomplishment, it is what good teams do. UNC wasn't good this year but they were certainly better than Duke, if they had lost to Duke, Duke would have accomplished something by winning their first ACC game in three years. UNC, on the other hand, just did what they were supposed to do.

The refs did everything they could to RAPE Pitt tonight. Thank God justice prevailed and the Panthers held on.

And Mizzou is GONE! So who's gonna wind up playing OSU for the title? You KNOW a 2 loss team will go in ahead of undefeated Hawaii. But who? LSU? Georgia? USC? Oklahoma?

But no, we don't need a playoff. The BCS worked exactly how it is supposed to work. [/sarcasm]

I'm hoping the current rankings hold form and Georgia somehow slips in thru the loophole, but my bet would be LSU. I think it's down to LSU and VT, and that Week 2 BEATDOWN by the Tigers would be the tiebreaker.

I've been telling all my friends that how come a team that goes undefeated the whole season can't win a championship? Only under the bcs system can something be so stupid. I predict a OSU vs LSU or VT

Its called Hawaii had an easier schedule than some 1-AA schools and at one point were listed as playing easier competition than a division 2 team. There are a lot of teams in this country who could have played Hawaii's schedule and been undefeated, that is why they don't deserve a shot and won't get one. That being said with no other clear cut #2 team you could still make the argument Hawaii should get the shot since everyone else blew theirs.

As for who will actually play in the game, OSU will get a chance to not embarrass themselves on national TV again. I'm going to bet that LSU sneaks back into the game, but U[sic]GA and VT have a chance depending on how the computers react.