The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

Its called Hawaii had an easier schedule than some 1-AA schools and at one point were listed as playing easier competition than a division 2 team. There are a lot of teams in this country who could have played Hawaii's schedule and been undefeated, that is why they don't deserve a shot and won't get one. That being said with no other clear cut #2 team you could still make the argument Hawaii should get the shot since everyone else blew theirs.

As for who will actually play in the game, OSU will get a chance to not embarrass themselves on national TV again. I'm going to bet that LSU sneaks back into the game, but U[sic]GA and VT have a chance depending on how the computers react.

Ohio State should go, LSU will go because the pollsters have had heir lips firmly planted on those cheeks all year. Despite being the likely #1, OSU will be the dog to whoever comes in at #2. The funny thing is, we lost 1 game all season, we finished our schedule and waited. Every one ahead of OSU lost. Everyone thinks OSU will embarass themselves, I say bring it. How many other schools can say they have played in the National Championship game 3 of the 6 years. Anyone. Only 1 that I can think of comes close and that is USC.

K~

Ohio State should go, LSU will go because the pollsters have had heir lips firmly planted on those cheeks all year. Despite being the likely #1, OSU will be the dog to whoever comes in at #2. The funny thing is, we lost 1 game all season, we finished our schedule and waited. Every one ahead of OSU lost. Everyone thinks OSU will embarass themselves, I say bring it. How many other schools can say they have played in the National Championship game 3 of the 6 years. Anyone. Only 1 that I can think of comes close and that is USC.

K~

OSU absolutely deserves the spot. I don't think they'll win, but by going 10-1 and winning the title in a BCS conference when no one else could do that, they deserve the spot and chance to play for a national championship.

The fact that they got killed last year in the title game and are from the Big 10, which wasn't as strong as the SEC or Big 12 this year, has people who's teams could have played for the NC complaining because their teams blew their shots at the game by loosing a game they shouldn't have or in a way they shouldn't have. (see UGA loosing to South Carolina, LSU loosing to Arkansas, USC to Stanford, Va Tech being blown out by LSU). Since there isn't a clear cut obvious choice, fans of the teams that don't make it to the title game see it as an extra excuse to whine when their teams flaws are arbitrarily deamed worse than another teams flaws. Thats just the nature of college football, if they want cut and dry they should watch the NFL.

OSU absolutely deserves the spot. I don't think they'll win, but by going 10-1 and winning the title in a BCS conference when no one else could do that, they deserve the spot and chance to play for a national championship.

The fact that they got killed last year in the title game and are from the Big 10, which wasn't as strong as the SEC or Big 12 this year, has people who's teams could have played for the NC complaining because their teams blew their shots at the game by loosing a game they shouldn't have or in a way they shouldn't have. (see UGA loosing to South Carolina, LSU loosing to Arkansas, USC to Stanford, Va Tech being blown out by LSU). Since there isn't a clear cut obvious choice, fans of the teams that don't make it to the title game see it as an extra excuse to whine when their teams flaws are arbitrarily deamed worse than another teams flaws. Thats just the nature of college football, if they want cut and dry they should watch the NFL.

Last years team will not be playing this game. If the SEC is so strong, then where are they?? I remember the years that the Big Ten was stronger top to bottom, but because the league beat each other up, no one got a shot at a national championship. So if the SEC is SO STRONG and they have beat each other up, I see the same thing. I don't think LSU is as good as all the poll people think they are. I think if OSU has the right to move up while sitting, so do Georgia and Kansas. I think it should be Va. Tech if you have to take a conference champ. They are higher than LSU. But the pollsters are gonna suck up to LSU and put them in. I think Va. Tech or Oklahoma. My opinion. Ohio State got embarassed last year, yes. Don't expect it to happen two years in a row. A good core of that team remains and they are still embarassed by that loss and have a point to prove.

Last years team will not be playing this game. If the SEC is so strong, then where are they?? I remember the years that the Big Ten was stronger top to bottom, but because the league beat each other up, no one got a shot at a national championship. So if the SEC is SO STRONG and they have beat each other up, I see the same thing. I don't think LSU is as good as all the poll people think they are. I think if OSU has the right to move up while sitting, so do Georgia and Kansas. I think it should be Va. Tech if you have to take a conference champ. They are higher than LSU. But the pollsters are gonna suck up to LSU and put them in. I think Va. Tech or Oklahoma. My opinion. Ohio State got embarassed last year, yes. Don't expect it to happen two years in a row. A good core of that team remains and they are still embarassed by that loss and have a point to prove.

I'll beleive that the big 10 was good this year when they prove it in the Bowls, but since the conference won 0 games against BCS conference schools with winning records its hard to say they hold their own when compared to any of the other conferences at this point.

As for the right to move up OSU is in a different boat than Kansas and Georgia. OSU's conference doesn't have a championship game and it was done playing whereas the other two could have been playing for their championship games but weren't because of their losses earlier in the season. In my opinion neither of those schools deserve consideration because of the type of blemishes on their schedules, Georgia lost to South Carolina and got blown out by UT, and Kansas lost to the only top tier opponent they played all year.

To me it comes down to VT, OU and LSU, all of which have their own warts. VT lost to LSU which makes them hard to pick head to head, though strictly from a resume perspective they have the most ligitimate claim since they are the only one not to loose to an unranked team. LSU got beat by Arkansas and OU blew that game against Colorado. I think LSU makes it just because they've been highly ranked all year and have the most talent, which really isn't the best way of picking it but I think thats how it will pan out. Since there are no obvious right choices its going to be luck of the draw.

In the end no matter who the BCS pulls out of the hat to play OSU there will be complaining about the teams in the game. And if OSU doesn't convincingly win while the other teams left out don't look impressive people will complain even more.

Here's the best part - besides 2630's EXCELLENT point about Georgia and KU being able to move up without playing like OSU...

The rest of the teams that have claims to get into the title game... NONE OF THEM PLAY AGAINST EACH OTHER IN THE BOWLS!! How does THAT work? What would be the harm in putting OU, Va Tech, Georgia, and USC all against each other?? No, instead... they all could win their bowl games, LSU beats Ohio State and except for the fact that the LSU/OSU game is the alleged title game, there's no clearer picture after January 7 as there is before.

The entire thing is beyond a joke and something needs to be done about it... but nothing will. Money is the root of all evil.

Here's the best part - besides 2630's EXCELLENT point about Georgia and KU being able to move up without playing like OSU...

The rest of the teams that have claims to get into the title game... NONE OF THEM PLAY AGAINST EACH OTHER IN THE BOWLS!! How does THAT work? What would be the harm in putting OU, Va Tech, Georgia, and USC all against each other?? No, instead... they all could win their bowl games, LSU beats Ohio State and except for the fact that the LSU/OSU game is the alleged title game, there's no clearer picture after January 7 as there is before.

The entire thing is beyond a joke and something needs to be done about it... but nothing will. Money is the root of all evil.

Very good point TarheelMike. Money IS the root of all Evil. Now, I know my guys are playing hn the NC game, so I won't be talking football for a while. I don't want to hear how we are gonna get trashed and ripped and how we don't deserve to be there. It took me a week to recover from the blowout against Florida. BTW, I really don't like Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer or the Gators. Y'all have a good one.

There are two teams with title game claims playing each other, Hawaii and Georgia. I know Hawaii doesn't have a good claim now because of their schedule, but if they go undefeated and beat Georgia, however unlikely that is, it would just make the picture blurrier regardless of who wins the LSU vs OSU game.

If OSU takes care of business impressively against a healthy LSU team that should quiet some of the skeptics but with the way this season has gone OSU, VaTech, UGA, USC and OU to all loosing and leaving everyone scratching their heads isn't out of the question. That is the only way this season could get any weirder or more confusing.

bowl games suck. thats the end to it. how long is it going to take before we all realize, that every year there are 5 teams that are screwed over and everyone is left wondering 'how the hell did that happen?' we should take the top 16 teams, make it just like FCS series. that way, everyone still has a shot at winning the title. most of the time the BCS even has games with teams that people dont even care about. this way good teams are able to all meet in later competition. if you really want you can have the last few ranked teams ranked 17 through 20 something battle it out in the likes of the state puff marshmallow bowl and the kirkland yogurt and tire bowl. right now i can't see why every single sport has a playoff bracket but football has to go and screw it all up.

bowl games suck. thats the end to it. how long is it going to take before we all realize, that every year there are 5 teams that are screwed over and everyone is left wondering 'how the hell did that happen?' we should take the top 16 teams, make it just like FCS series. that way, everyone still has a shot at winning the title. most of the time the BCS even has games with teams that people dont even care about. this way good teams are able to all meet in later competition. if you really want you can have the last few ranked teams ranked 17 through 20 something battle it out in the likes of the state puff marshmallow bowl and the kirkland yogurt and tire bowl. right now i can't see why every single sport has a playoff bracket but football has to go and screw it all up.

Because there are other teams outside the top 25 :rolleyes:

i see your point icefrog, i think that we should have the top 16 battle it out for nat'l champ rights, and then the rest can have their bowl games, no one wants to see their team done just because they aren't top 16. or heck, lets even do the NIT of football!

Man, ECU v Boise State in Hawaii. I'm all for confidence in my team, but I don't see us picking up a win there.
Perhaps not...but what a heck of a bowl to back-in to! A trip to Hawaii to play football...what a deal!

Man, ECU v Boise State in Hawaii. I'm all for confidence in my team, but I don't see us picking up a win there.

yeah i dont think there is any way. Boise state is a tough, smart team. They had the top 2 of the top 50 plays of the year on Best Damn the other day. That says enough right there.....but still....GO PIRATES!

1st half: 31-14 ECU. Chris(t) Johnson is beasting Boise.

It's too bad the Boise coach is going to tear his team a new one in the half, and we'll end up giving up the lead.

WOW that was scary. GO ECU. I cant believe that game. we had that lead, and we blew it....it was all too good of a setup for Boise State. Even their announcer said something along the lines of "Boise State is going to do it again." gosh we got lucky that Hartman decided NOT to miss a field goal....i figured he would. bad snap and almost blocked...he had everything going against him and he got it done.... Well a BIG congrats to Chris Johnson for his record setting night. Some NFL team is going to LOVE this kid....before last night i think he woiuld have been 3-4th rounder....i think after that last night he could get taken mid 2nd round. we shall see.

You guys wanna know how screwed up the BCS is?

Apparently there was an agreement in place to have VT and Oklahoma play each other in the Orange Bowl, but the SEC Commish nixed the deal because he didn't want to take the chance that Oklahoma or VT passes LSU in the final standings if they have a close game with Ohio State.

How the bowls would have ended up:

BCS Title: Ohio State vs LSU

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs Oklahoma

Sugar Bowl: Hawaii vs West Virginia

Fiesta Bowl: Missouri vs Arizona State

Rose Bowl: USC vs Georgia

Well, I know this thread is old and out of season but I thought I would bring College Football back up for a second.

I saw a friend of mine from Appalachian State this weekend, who happens to be on the football team, he was redshirted his freshman year, he plays defensive line.

But what I'm getting at is, he showed me his National Championship ring from the most recent 'ship, and man that thing is awesome, just wanted to give another quick congrats to App State after seeing that fat ring on his finger.

thanks king! hopefully our boys will be able to pull it off against LSU this coming year. everyone is saying how we're going to get crushed, which is good cause thats what they said about michigan.....

i saw a guy on appalcart (the bus) with one on. it looks pretty cool. i like the very first one best of all. but, championship rings, who's complaining. btw you can all see the ring (at least the most recent one, and i think all 3) on gooasu.com

wonder what the fourth one's gonna look like? hahahaha.